• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I replayed it and yep, this game fucking owns. A fever dream with the kind of confidence and sheer flex of artistry that is so unique these days. This game delivered all the way through for me. I didn't expect 20% of what the game delivered to me. To say it went the full distance would be an understatement.

It's probably the most interesting fictional take on Judeo-christian stories I've seen. You play Enoch acting in a bid to fight the watchers who became fallen angels after they became obsessed with the potential of mankind. Your partner is Lucifer talking with God through a phone with his extremely deep voice (fantastic dub btw), and the nephilim are cute blobs looking like plushies but have extremely dark stories.

Enoch tries to restore the natural order of evolution dictated by heaven while the fallen angels wants to give wisdom to mankind in order to advance their evolution. It's super interesting and very mysterious, especially with all the intentional idiosyncrasies. There's a ton of info to try to get. The archangels are guiding you with their voices, the fallen angels are trying to make their position heard, Lucifel is playing games with you, and it's just a constant tug of war of trying to know how you should feel and where you should stand as a player.

giphy.gif

There is this part at the beginning where you fight one of the watchers after pressing start to start the game. You get instantly destroyed, so Lucifel snaps his fingers and you go back in time, and it sends you back to the title screen. This is extremely cool.
And it's all justified in gameplay too! When you fall down the platforms, you hear the snap of Lucifel. The game didn't just go back to the last checkpoint, you canonically went back in time before you died thanks to Lucifel! Such a good and fascinating character.

sGvkPU5.gif

You enter a hellish tower you take 300 years to find in-universe. One of the floors is super focused on cartoon, toy-like 2D planes for platforming. One of the floors of the tower is a hyper-futuristic city that has a RACING SECTION that is putting FF7 Remake to shame. It's a wild ride and yet it make sense within the confines of the story.

Also one floor has a watcher where he is putting the show of his life while you fight enemies. Only El Shaddai can offer you the king of pop obstructing the screen while you are on a mission from god.

giphy.gif

The gameplay is like an action game, Enoch has access to four weapons, however he cannot switch them at will. He can only steal them from enemies when they're downed. Encounters have often four enemies maximum, and even in normal they give quite the challenge for me. The point is that you have to steal the weapon for the right enemy, because they have strength and weaknesses. It can get quite overwhelming so you have to prioritize the right type of enemy. The game has no HUD whatsoever so you have to look at Enoch's armor to see how close to death you are. If he is half-naked with only his jeans, then this means he is close to dying. Yes, Enoch wear jeans.
You'd think a system where everyone loses pieces of armor and clothes upon damage would be bad, and I would be inclined to agree (fuck The 3rd Birthday), but El Shaddai is here to show that context is everything because there is a diversity of bodies and types in this game. From fallen angels, monsters, men, women and more. It's obvious from the start that it isn't a ploy to show cute girls topless in unfortunate positions. Not to say the game isn't horny, but it is in a good way, not the kind that makes you roll your eyes.

Let's just say the game is more dedicated...to the male form. This is the player character, Enoch.

Ea9d71rWsAAlYCX

The game is also dedicated in its art. I took photos of my TV because I wanted to show how good it can get. This game was constantly surprising me. This game genuinely gets better and better.

The tower

KlY51DZ.gif

One of the various moments that made me go "how did they do this"

xCOKSD5.gif

This game has more color to it than the entirety of the 7th gen

cXdx5ie.gif

This game would change its background for fights even in the same arena. A constant feast for the eyes

e4683A7.gif

Seeing this city for the first time made me go "WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF". This game is surprises among surprises

zBohtyw.gif

The platforming is really good in my opinion. They had some great ideas and they had the kind of focus on making them incredibly beautiful and inspired. It reminds me of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

TLGZ1Qn.gif

Incredible shot

SY5QWfT.gif

I love the perspective here

7JVnIHn.gif

The colors here are breathtaking.

t74bmmV.gif

And the music...the fucking music. It's BANGERS ENTERPRISES

This game is incredible. Godlike even. It's short too. Just seven hours long, but I will remember those seven hours for a long ass time.
As always with every good game trying something different, it failed so we'll never get a new one. But at least the mad lad, Sawaki Takeyasu, literally bought the IP back from Disney, so maybe there is a chance we'd see at least a remaster in my lifetime or whatever.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Never played it but it's always been on the "To Play" list in my head.

Is there a specific modded way that is recommended to play it on modern PCs?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I've been meaning to play this for a while. Was kinda hoping it would've been part of the Xbone backwards compatibility program, but no dice... maybe they'll start adding more titles for Series X?

If not, I suppose I can dust off my 360... *grumble, grumble*

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I remember really enjoying the overall experience of it.

Although it's highly unlikely, I wish there was a 4k/60fps remaster on modern platforms.

If not, I hope it's eventually made BC on Xbox and 4k enhanced.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I owned it. Never got very far but I bought it based on gaf recommendations. Blast from the past indeed.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Lemme tell you a tale.
It took place 360,000...
no, 14,000 years ago.
Well, to me it seems like only yesterday.
To you, could be tomorrow.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Underrated gem. Really wish we got a sequel hats not some mobile whatever even.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I enjoyed it but I unfortuntely sold my copy because I didn't think I'd replay it. Now I want to replay it. Really wish it would get a remaster. Put it on PC and preserve it for all time.

I have the dungeon crawler spin-off on Switch to play sometime too.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Did The Lost Child completely abandon the art style and otherworldliness of El Shaddai? I was curious but the screenshots did not inspire confidence.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Huh, I just noticed on the Wikipedia entry that apparently The Lost Child (SMT-esque dungeon crawler from a couple years ago) is an El Shaddai spinoff... TIL.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the art when I played it but found the combat to be pretty generic and lacking. I would love to see another game like this or even a sequel.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing this when I was in highschool and selling it not long after completing it. If I recall young me didn't like it, but I'd def give it another look if it were possible for me to play again.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It's too bad it's not very much fun to play. It's exactly the kind of game I desperately miss though.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the thread OP - looks and sounds amazing. Will definitely fire up the older systems and give it a go.
and you say that Disney owned the property for a while?

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
This was one of my most anticipated games and it totally lived up to my expectations! It's such a shame that this isn't available on Xbox BC.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely gorgeous to look at on RPCS3.

Also one of my proudest platinums. Hard as fuck. At the time so few people played it that I was like #35 on the leaderboards and those above me were mostly JP action diehards, the kind of you see pulling insane shit at Devil May Cry.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Thanks for the thread OP - looks and sounds amazing. Will definitely fire up the older systems and give it a go.
and you say that Disney owned the property for a while?

Disney purchased the parent company of the Publisher. It was originally published by British publisher Ignition Entertainment who were owned by an Indian media company called UTV.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the art when I played it but found the combat to be pretty generic and lacking. I would love to see another game like this or even a sequel.

These were largely the comments I heard at the time and why I never picked it up. Though seeing this thread, I now regret that decision.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's absolutely gorgeous to look at on RPCS3.

Also one of my proudest platinums. Hard as fuck. At the time so few people played it that I was like #35 on the leaderboards and those above me were mostly JP action diehards, the kind of you see pulling insane shit at Devil May Cry.

Same, one of my proudest platinums too. Incredibly difficult to get. That's actually one of the major things I remember about my time with this game - spending an entire week aiming for and obtaining a single trophy.

Geez, the things I would do back when I actually gave a shit about that sort of thing.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to enjoy it, but it got repetitive really fast. There wasn't much depth to combat from what I remember, nor any sort of growth.

Visually it was a real treat though.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The presentation of this game is fucking amazing. The visuals and music are just sublime. The combat and platforming though suck. Combat is repetitive as hell and platforming is just not good at all. I played through the entire game and it just felt like a chore to play. The only thing that motived me to play was to see what the next area looked and sounded like since everything was so distinct. Gameplay wise though this game needs heavy fine tuning.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I own this one. Its everything OP says it is. A truly underrated cult masterpiece

Aug 2, 2019
For me it was like salromano already stated. Nice to look at, but the gameplay was way to repetitive and missed depth (combat). The potential was there but it never lived up to the hype.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I remember playing the demo of this and thinking the visuals were outstanding, but I found the gameplay boring and unsatisfying which led me to dropping the full game.

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up for PS3 earlier this year (when I get back home from vacation I'll have to make my long-planned thread about picking up AA games/forgotten gems for PS1, 2, 3 and 4 the last 18 months), but have yet to play it. But visually it looks amazing.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Gameplay-wise it was kinda meh. The combat has some interesting ideas with the weapon stealing mechanic but it's a bit repetitive and frustrating. But definitely worth playing for visuals and story.

But what really called my attention was that the game is based on judeo-christian mythology and presents it's elements in such a refreshing way, specially when compared to western games. I would say the game is worth playing just for it's interpretation of some biblical concepts.

For instance, those are Archangels in Diablo, Darksiders and El-Shaddai:

arcanjos.png

and those are Nephilims (sons of angels and men) in El-Shaddai:
nephilim_psd_jpgcopy-Custom.jpg

For comparison these are also nephilims according to their own games:
nefilins.jpg

It's a very unique game and I definitely recommend it.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
El Shaddai is an EXTREMELY underrated masterpiece. I felt something special when I unlocked the platinum trophy on PS3, loved every second I played this game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of my favourites. Regretabbly no port and one of those games you'll never find for a low price, it was basically already rare right out the door.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
really hope this gets a pc/console remaster at some point. definitely one of my most-wanted games remaining from that generation