• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Seriously people.

There's zero indication these cops called in the appropriate help, which is precisely what they should have done.
One of the officers tells the cop with the body cam to keep an eye on him while he looks for a boat, its near the end of the video

www.azfamily.com

‘I’m not jumping in after you:’ Police release transcript of Tempe Town Lake drowning

The bodycam video cuts out and police provided a transcript of what happened next.

Has a transcript that the OP may not have (the NYT gated me so i dont know for a fact)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you at least nail them on Good Sumaritan laws?
No, those laws never require you to put yourself in danger. And realistically given how quickly he drowned there is no scenario in which they could have taken off their uniform and jumped in after him fast enough to save his life unless they immediately recognized that he was going to drown the second he got in the water

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Spreading misinformation over multiple posts
People exaggerate how dangerous rescuing drowning people is, yes, there's a risk, but the vast majority of the time you'll be fine.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
People exaggerate how dangerous rescuing drowning people is, yes, there's a risk, but the vast majority of the time you'll be fine.
Why should anyone be willing to put their lives in danger because of someone else's stupidity? I'm all for criticizing cops when they do something bad, but this ain't it.

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts? Because a panicked drowning person can totally latch onto you and not let go until they're dead and have already dragged you under.
Blaming cops when warranted is good, but this isn't that.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
No you wont. I was a lifeguard-- you absolutely do not jump in after someone if you have no training. A drowning person will desperately push you under to get out of the water and they are too panicked to remain calm and listen to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Fire dept saves drowning people all the time, ropes and flotation devices.

Fireman would jump in and try because they are actually in shape and brave. Not out of shape thumbs that make up excuses not to save people like cops

Firemen also travel with a variety of lifesaving equipment; one could have jumped into the lake while their partner ran back to the truck to get rope, possibly even floatation depending upon how they're kitted out. Police don't travel with the variety of equipment that firemen do.

I'm not here to argue your overall sentiment towards the cops, but this specific example isn't it.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Oh right, every time I've been near a body of water there's always someone with a 100 ft rope nearby. Almost forgot about that.
You don't see these?
7409959144_03a90fe8a3_b.jpg

You'd think police would carry some around in their trunk.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Oh right, every time I've been near a body of water there's always someone with a 100 ft rope nearby. Almost forgot about that.
That particular spot is a little further down from the "docks", but it would have taken anyone with a sense of urgency a very short amount of time to retrieve the proper resources. ESPECIALLY at this time of year. Source: I went to ASU for eight years and spent a fuckton of time there.

I can absolutely promise you that if they have a fuck they could have safely saved the guy.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
One of the officers tells the cop with the body cam to keep an eye on him while he looks for a boat, its near the end of the video

www.azfamily.com

‘I’m not jumping in after you:’ Police release transcript of Tempe Town Lake drowning

The bodycam video cuts out and police provided a transcript of what happened next.

Has a transcript that the OP may not have (the NYT gated me so i dont know for a fact)
Transcript in full seems to imply that they called in help (TFD/the fire department), before the officer said that he wasn't jumping in.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Some of you have watched too many MCU movies. Cops are not Avengers. They are not required to place themselves in danger. Ever. You may think that sucks, but it's how it is.

You never dive in to "save" someone drowning. Throw something to them, sure. This is grade school shit. You will get pulled under.

Oct 26, 2017
Calm down, everyone! No need to gang up on the poor police.

Do you really expect the police to be trained to save lives? Let's be reasonable here.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, I was a lifeguard for 7 years, only had to make one rescue in my life, of a boy that I outweighed by at least 80lbs, and I nearly died because he swung his arm to try and grab me and ended up nailing me in the eye, and when I went to grab my eye he forced me under as he grabbed by tube, and If I didn't massively outweigh him I don't know if I'd have been able to force him off me and recover.
You can NOT predict how someone is going to react when they are panicking, they are going to do whatever they instinctively think will save them, which usually is bad for you

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
What gets me is that, one cop did try to get help, but the body cam cop just becomes apathetic when he has to keep an eye on said person
Like, you can at least look around to see if there is something to assist in case of situations like this while keeping an eye on him

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Here's some free training for the cops. Take off your gear except for your nightstick. Jump in, knock out the drowning person and pull em to safety.

Win win for the cop, get to smash someone over the head (they like doing this regardless) and save their life at the same time.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
As much as I don't want to agree with the police, I actually do in this case. Maybe more will come out that we don't know, but police officers aren't required to be able to swim and saving someone that's drowning is extremely difficult.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Can't you at least nail them on Good Sumaritan laws?
No. "Good Samaritan" laws relieve rescuers of liability if they fuck up while attempting to rescue someone -- like damaging someone's ribs during CPR, things like that. Random bystanders like you or me never have a duty to act or save someone.

You could walk by a drowning person and you're under no legal obligation to assist them.

But yeah, especially in this case, it looked like a weird sequence of events with the cops trying to dissuade the guy from swimming out so far, with "I'm not jumping in after you" as an attempt to further persuade the guy from leaving solid ground.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you're either a pro lifeguard or this is a troll ass post

i mean, it's hardly the amazon river.

If you're a adult who can swim well the risk is relatively minimal, and being a cop should already come with the expectation to be willing to put yourself in harm's way in emergency situations.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
ACAB, but not jumping in after the guy was the right call, and it doesn't seem like they were ever making fun of the man either.

Could they have handled the situation better, such as calling for assistance as soon as they realized the man was in trouble (or better yet pre-emptively calling for help as soon as the man started threatening to jump in the lake)? Almost certainly. I don't know that anything would've had great odds of changing the outcome unless there was a floatation device available nearby, however.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

If you're a adult who can swim well the risk is relatively minimal, and being a cop should already come with the expectation to be willing to put yourself in harm's way in emergency situations.
The risk wasn't so minimal if a grown ass man who seems to swim regularly drowned 50 feet into the water.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not with the saving someone drowning is easy, fucking hell.

Terrible situation all around, fuck those cops for not attempting something while standing there. Literally ANYTHING that floats can and should be tossed to that man.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
ACAB, but not jumping in after the guy was the right call, and it doesn't seem like they were ever making fun of the man either.

Could they have handled the situation better, such as calling for assistance as soon as they realized the man was in trouble (or better yet pre-emptively calling for help as soon as the man started threatening to jump in the lake)? Almost certainly. I don't know that anything would've had great odds of changing the outcome unless there was a floatation device available nearby, however.
According to the transcript, they did call the fire department.

This is just factually untrue.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020

This is just complete misinformation and nonsense like this can get people killed.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That's irrelevant.

Sometimes doing the right thing won't be enough. It's still the right thing though!
It's probably worth threadmarking the whole transcript, which does indicate that they had called to dispatch and asked for the fire department to be dispatched to their location. They call in to dispatch in the middle of the transcript to get verification on their request.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
You do realise calling in help doesn't make them just spawn in on the scene like a video game? The guy's already drowning, he's dead by the time anyone can drive over regardless.
Like i said earlier, the main problem is that the body cam cop just becomes apathetic to the dudes cause when hes under the assumption that the other officer is getting help, like "ok well ill just look and keep an eye on you"
And its like, yeah what can he do in the moment, but its still a bad look no matter what to just literally stand and watch dont you agree?
If he made an active effort to at least look for anything that can assist then i dont think this situation would've garnered this kind of outcome online

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

No, it fucking isn't "minimal."

The Red Cross has a whole campaign about how you shouldn't dive into the water like a moron.

Reach or Throw, Don't Go

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

You know that we are on a thread about a guy who drowned pretty fast right?

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
A lot of people in here bending over backwards defending police that did nothing to genuinely de-escalate the situation and instead told the man that nobody would be helping them after he clearly demonstrated going through a mental health crisis.

There was no urgency, not a shred of genuine empathy or sign of caring. Just a nonchalant attitude from people we're expected to thank for "serving the community."

I don't expect anyone to drown too but they clearly didn't give a damn so, fuck these cops. Hope they end up broke and alone.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
To serve.
To protect.
So umm...what the fuck else is left?
Those two things were never their job. Their job is to protect property and make the lives of minorities and the poor miserable.

Granted, homeboy was already fucked when he swam out too far. But my thing is, before it even got to that point, why they let him start climbing over the guardrail. That's worrisome behavior, and anything could've happened before he swam out.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Unfortunately can't find a full transcript but there was one bit with a bit more context. Spoilering because it is graphic:

Officer 1: Go at least go to the pylon and hold on.
Victim: I'm drowning. (inaudible)
Officer 2: Come back over to the pylon.
Victim: I can't. I can't. (inaudible).
Officer 1: Okay, I'm not jumping in after you.
Victim: (inaudible) Please help me. Please, please please.
Officer 2: I don't think they can get (inaudible) the pedestrian bridge.
Victim: I can't touch. Oh God. Please help me. Help me.
Officer 2: Sir, you need to listen to me. Hey, listen to me. Swim to the -

I understand the sentiment, but until we know how the officer went about actually saying it this holds true.

It sounds awful in text, but he was frankly being honest. I think they were probably trying to figure out what to do. I think most people in this situation if they weren't comfortable, confident and equipped to deal with the situation would also say something along the lines of "I can't" instead of saying nothing.

Editing since my post is a little earlier on, but this link has the full transcript:
www.azfamily.com

The transcript does imply that the officers before it began, before the officer said he wasn't jumping in had called into dispatch to send in support from the fire department. They follow-up to ask for verification that the fire department is on the way.

Also there's a lot of underestimating of how dangerous massive bodies of water can be, and how difficult it can be to not only get yourself back to safety but also someone who could be your own weight or more added on to try and get them back to shore.

Yeah unfortunately in this case I understand why the cops didn't jump in. IIRC the guy was running away from the cops before this incident and jumped into the lake to evade them.

It's horrifying but an untrained person should never attempt a rescue without a floatation device, because the victims can often drown you in their panic. The only person I would try to save in a situation like that would be my son, and that's only because he's literally the only person in the world I would rather be dead with than alive without.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I misread the title.This reminds me about a news about people who let a man sink and laughed at it, years ago. Maybe it was even posted on this forum or the older one.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A lot of people in here bending over backwards defending police that did nothing to genuinely de-escalate the situation and instead told the man that nobody would be helping them after he clearly demonstrated going through a mental health crisis.

There was no urgency, not genuine empathy or sign of caring. Just a nonchalant attitude from people we're expected to thank for "serving the community."

Fuck these cops. Hope they end up broke and alone.
They said that to the man while he was in the water, struggling, to encourage him to swim over to the pylon, because he was going to have to save himself.

His mental health issues were unfortunately besides the point by then.

No one is bending over backwards to defend cops. ACAB, but we can still look at this specific situation and make a rational assessment of what actually transpired.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I live two blocks away from the Pacific Ocean. I'd say about 2 to 3 people drown and die at my local beach every year. No one ever expects a cop to save them. Every few years a surfer or bystander will try to rescue them which usually never ends well. They just die and it's usually pretty quick