• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always amazed at people who can play console shooters well with a controller, because I am definitely not one of those. Even the most ideal scenario of a Steam Controller and using gyro (which is how I played Fallout 4 for a couple of nights via Steam Link) doesn't work quite as well as a mouse and keyboard for me. That said, people definitely can make controllers work, and if you grew up playing nothing but dual analog I can see why people would prefer it. But I grew up with Quake, so I don't think I'll ever really get used to dual analog for shooters.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Did you play it with a 144hz monitor?
For some reason, Doom 2016 looks especially good at 144hz, maybe it's due to it's motion blur.
Not trying to derail the thread, but I've had a question about this for awhile. What kind of hardware is needed to hit 144fps in modern games? My 5700 XT aint doing it unless the games are kind of old. What hardware ya'll rockin?
Your not allowed to game on PC with anything but a liquid cooled 2080 Ti. but really, for 144hz at 1440p, you need to turn down some settings & have a good CPU, at 1080p you have more freedom though. Shadows get turned down first for me along with volumetrics.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that. In a heated fight, your aim snaps around so often that it would basically be a different game on a controller.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Yep, Dolby Atmos and HDR are what I crave way more than anything above 60fps.

Although I do it all on PC anyway.
Yep! Same.

Doom was unfortunately right at the edge of when all of those were more readily available. HDR has gotten so much more prevalent and spatial audio is where HDR was in ~2016 but it'll get better.

I do get the perspective tho. Still not worth the trade off for me in most cases.

I do however play Overwatch at 1080/120 on my C7 bc there's no HDR ☹️

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I get so bored playing shooters on regular gamepads. Kb and mouse is the way to go.

I also find the Steam controller to be acceptable, in a pinch.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I tried playing it on console recently and it's like........... very frustrating have to deal with the sticks. Mouse for life.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I find KBM a lot better for first person horror games as well. You'll find yourself nervously looking around and it adds a certain element of connection that you lose on a controller. Old recordings I have of Alien Isolation and RE7 tell a whole tale of what I'm feeling.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Enjoyed that game just fine on PS4, will play Eternal on console as well.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
While the game is boring and repetitive, sounds to me you're just not really good with a controller. Because it feels tight as fuck and very fast on consoles. And you do know you can crank up the sensitivity?

Playing shooters with analogue sticks has always been a joke. There's a reason autoaim exists and there's a reason people ask for gyro

You're a joke for calling "aim assist" "auto aim". Keep practicing and you will be fine.

Yep, Dolby Atmos and HDR are what I crave way more than anything above 60fps.

Although I do it all on PC anyway.

DOOM doesn't have HDR.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Playing DOOM on PC on the hardest difficulty is something else. :) I love every second of it, have played through it multiple times.

Sorry for the bad quality, but holy hell, this game is such a pure joy.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven't PC gamed in years now, but this is something I still recognize as truth.

I've adjusted very well to console FPS controls though. Doom felt great to me on the PS4.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to derail the thread, but I've had a question about this for awhile. What kind of hardware is needed to hit 144fps in modern games? My 5700 XT aint doing it unless the games are kind of old. What hardware ya'll rockin?

for DOOM specifically a 5700 xt should do 1080/144 in vulkan easily, and 1440p for the most part as well.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
While the game is boring and repetitive, sounds to me you're just not really good with a controller. Because it feels tight as fuck and very fast on consoles. And you do know you can crank up the sensitivity?

You're a joke for calling "aim assist" "auto aim". Keep practicing and you will be fine.

DOOM doesn't have HDR.

Semantics. It's not precise enough so aiming has to be assisted.

It's a fundamentally inaccurate aiming method.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Replace "doom" with "every fps ever". The genre is one of the reasons why my main platform is pc. Not gonna put up with shitty sticks if I can help it.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
PC is the way to go for 1st and 3rd person shooters.. just listen to Henry Canvill.. PC is the way

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
lol yep. I definitely wish m/k was standard as an option for alot of games on console, especially fps. Seems like we are starting to get there, after Microsoft added support, devs started adding more support in games on both consoles. And well Doom is meant to be fast, so no surprise that you liked it better with m/k.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Definitely better on pc but I had zero issues getting the plat on ps4? I always bump up sensitivity quite a bit in fps games when I can though so maybe that helped? I never play anything except mmos and 4x on pc either so I guess I'm weird.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I can hit those framerates on DOOM, but games that are just coming out and in the future? Seems like 144hz is especially good for esport titles, which aren't that demanding.

generally 144hz is for twitch shooters and competitive multiplayer games - the big cinematic graphical powerhouses are generally going to struggle to run at 144hz (especially at 1440p+) on anything. even a 2080 ti won't hit 144fps in RDR2 at 1080p high settings (much less 1440p), for instance. for those cases, that's where stuff like freesync and g-sync can come in handy, to help prevent judder when running at sub-144hz on high refresh rate displays. you can often still get a better-than-60fps experience on such monitors even if you can't hit the full 144hz.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I mean, even people from id joked about it during gameplay reveal of Eternal, it went like "now as you've seen how it can be played on consoles, let's see how it really should be played". Stick is simply inferior to a mouse when it comes down to aiming.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Semantics. It's not precise enough so aiming has to be assisted.

It's a fundamentally inaccurate aiming method.

It's fine. Watch some footage of a good YouTube player. There are also games without aim assist, like Shadowfall.

Within a certain radius that is exactly what it is. That is how it works, it magnetizes your reticle or hitscan to a target.

Is it absolute? No. But it is an auto aim function.

RDR has auto aim. It's nothing like aim assist. You have no idea.

lol yep. I definitely wish m/k was standard as an option for alot of games on console, especially fps. Seems like we are starting to get there, after Microsoft added support, devs started adding more support in games on both consoles. And well Doom is meant to be fast, so no surprise that you liked it better with m/k.

LOL. A mouse is an option on consoles literally for more than 10 years now. I even used several on PS3 back in the days. I prefer a controller with real triggers and analog movement nowadays, even though a mouse is more accurate.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now go and play an old school WRPG with a keyboard and mouse.

KB&M is seriously such a great gaming input device.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Every FPS is better on PC with mouse and keyboard, actually every game is better on a good PC even with a controller

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Watch some footage of a good YouTube player. There are also games without aim assist, like Shadowfall.

RDR has auto aim. It's nothing like aim assist. You have no idea.

LOL. A mouse is an option on consoles literally for more than 10 years now. I even used several on PS3 back in the days. I prefer a controller with real triggers and analog movement nowadays, even though a mouse is more accurate.

You can get pretty good with sticks if you put in a lot of time, sure. However the ability to to a very fast movement within the span of like 180 degrees or more, with an instant start or stop, is literally just impossible on sticks. They are an acceleration based control method, as opposed to the direct control of a mouse. A god tier stick player can probably defeat an average mouse player, but on comparable levels of skill it's just not comparable because the input methods are fundamentally different.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm stepping back to 2004. Unless I'm playing a competitive FPS, controllers are just fine. And this is coming from one of the biggest FPS snobs for many years.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
DOOM with a controller is great.
With the agility, the precision and the possibility to bind every single weapon of K + M is another (far superior) experience.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I know... Its becoming more prevalent though. Its in more games nowadays on console. I expect that to only increase with time, especially now that cross play is a thing and Microsoft finally decided to join in the fun with m/k support. Its good to have more control options.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
last fps i played with a controller/on console was Destiny 1 because i had to obviously. i never found shooters with a controller to be particularly terrible but i sure as hell won't go back to it either, like even if my PC was a beater and i had a hypothetical PS5 Pro that played doom eternal at 8K/120fps or some shit

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
"Man, [every FPS ever] on PC with keyboard and mouse is a completely different, much better game."

Yup.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

If you haven't played through Doom on PC I'd highly recommend doing so. It's a completely different game than on console. It's one of those games where looking at footage it's immediately obvious when it's being played on controller since the movement is just ... wrong.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I feel like I'm stepping back to 2004. Unless I'm playing a competitive FPS, controllers are just fine. And this is coming from one of the biggest FPS snobs for many years.
Nobody's saying they're not fine, they're perfectly functional and can be satisfying if controls were implemented properly. The thing is, KB&M is still a superior input method for shooters (or games with huge item/unit management, can't beat the hotkeys).

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein is a different game as well, you always hear about how unfairly difficult the second game is, specifically the courthouse sequence, when I really don't think it's unfair at all on keyboard and mouse. It's not a walk in the park but it's certainly not brutally unfair like I've heard from many people that I trust.