• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Despite how acclaimed it had been since release, it wasn't until a few days ago where I finally got DOOM. Despite liking First Person Shooters, that extended demo on PS4 from a couple months ago completely killed all interest I had in the game. It looked really nice, the animations were cool, the music great but good Lord it didn't feel particularly great to play. Enemies constantly killed me because I took ages to turn around and shoot them, so rather than feeling like the Doomslayer I felt like a fucking idiot.

However, a few weeks ago I noticed that DOOM had a demo on Steam and it was only a few GB, so I downloaded it and holy crap, so glad I did. No longer was I struggling with hitting enemies or moving around the map, instead I felt like this agile motherfucker that will slay all the demons that cross their path... and then I cranked up the FOV slider.

It was then that the game fully clicked to me, and it made me kinda glad I ended up skipping it on PS4. They really need to get kb/m support for the console release of DOOM Eternal, because man it's just so much fucking better, it just makes me pity people who play it with a controller.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Mouse and Keyboard is just superior for FPS games, even some 3rd person games. Especially fast games profit from it. I had the same experience with Warframe.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
DOOM is one of my favorite recent PC shooters. I played it on PC first and Xbox later. I had some fun on Xbox, but the game really does play completely differently with a mouse/keyboard setup than it does with a controller. Can't turn anywhere near as quickly, can't bounce from target to target as reliably if at all, can't swap between weapons like lightning mid-fight, etc. It's still a great shooter on console but it takes on new life on PC with a kb/m

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Yeah I'm done with playing first person shooters on controller nubs, Mouse only for this genre going forward every FPS game on console should natively support Mouse. I heard console like ps4 adds input lag if you use mouse on it if true a shame

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep, with how quickly you can move with m&kb and with a high refresh rate screen and the music, it puts you into a murderous trance. It's amazing

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing the original DOOM back in 1994, but only using the keyboard. Arrow keys for movement baby! Did anyone else play that way?

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
I played about 6 hours in on PC, got bored, then picked it up some months later on PS4 and had a fucking blast. I felt like I was whooping ass on the hard mode, never felt like I was getting dumpstered constantly. So idk, maybe I'm a weirdo but I really liked the PS4 controls for this one.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Works great on PC I actually can't imagine it controlling that well on console, even with motion controls on Switch. The ability to change your weapons quickly while bouncing from enemy to enemy is a blast. Helps that you can play it at a buttery smooth 144 fps and as you said, higher fov. Can't wait for Eternal.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
I genuinely look down on people that play FPS using controllers and 30fps.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Wow why is everyone shitting on people enjoying games on console/controllers in this thread?

Just to feel better?

Oct 25, 2017
If a game involves shooting then it's always best played with a mouse.
No amount of aim assist on controller can really make up for the difference in precision.

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the 27GL850. Excited to try this at 1440p/144hz (well... probably not that high since I haven't gotten a new video card yet)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I refuse to play FPS games on console, unless it's Switch for the portability. Mouse and keyboard are miles better than any controller. The entire game changes with KB+M.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer playing fps on a controller. I just want to sit on my couch now, I've put too many years at a desk with kb/m. I do it all day at work, I just want to sit on the couch.

That said, Doom on PC has a massive deadzone on the movement stick, which makes it frustrating to play on controller.

And for some reason Steam remapping the controller to fix the deadzone makes it so you can't move the map around with the controller.

I played it on a PS4 and the deadzone was perfect. So yeah, Doom on PC with a controller does suck.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Playing shooters with analogue sticks has always been a joke. There's a reason autoaim exists and there's a reason people ask for gyro

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't really go back to FPS games on consoles anymore. My aim is just terrible with sticks. I'm not that much better with a M+KB, but at least I feel in control.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Playin on my 65" OLED in 7.1 is worth the trade off any day of the week for me. And the elite controller ain't half bad. Really enjoyed the game too. More than most FPS titles.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I still had a lot of fun playing doom a few months ago on ps4 my pc isn't good enough to run it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was the same way OP

really liked it on PS4 but I replayed it on PC And it was like a whole new experience