• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-dies-after-e-cigarette-explodes-his-face-n967241

A Texas man died after his e-cigarette exploded and cut a major artery in his neck, according to a medical examiner's report.

William Eric Brown, 24, went to his local vaping store, Smoke & Vape DZ in Fort Worth, Texas, on Jan. 29 and never returned, his grandmother, Alice Brown, told NBC DFW.

"He said, 'I'll be right back granny.'"

The e-cigarette explosion was so strong that it melted the ashtray in Brown's car, his grandmother said.

The Tarrant County Medical examiner's report said Brown died of a "cerebral infarction and herniation" after the vape pen cut open the left artery in his neck.

According to his grandmother, doctors performed an X-ray when Brown was brought to hospital and found a metal piece of the vape pen lodged in the back of his neck.

Brown is the second person in the U.S. known to have died from an exploding vaporizing pen. A Florida man died last year in a house fire that was started by an exploding vape pen.

E-cigs are not required to be subjected to product safety testing, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.

While there are vaping products specifically designed to prevent fires and explosions, they aren't currently allowed in the U.S. due to FDA regulations.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus. No brand info. Really makes me wary of sharing any pen with my friends who partake. I've used one before but never thought of this possibility

Calmine

Jul 5, 2018
I've heard stories like this before. Mostly happening to cheap knockoff brands or they were imported from China, which aren't regulated. I've had a battery blow on me years ago, but it didn't explode it just popped basically and make some nasty fumes and a wretched smell.

Oct 26, 2017
Right just curious if it was a juul, by far the most popular vape pen. Also wonder what the other one that exploded was.
Yeah, my coworker just came back from the states with a juul so was curious about that too.

As an aside, is it really the most popular? I was searching for where he should buy one and it seemed like they are mostly sold only in major cities

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This is why you don't fuck around with mech mods. Always use a regulated mod.

I don't even have to read to know it was a mech mod and the dude had no clue what he was doing lol

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my coworker just came back from the states with a juul so was curious about that too.

As an aside, is it really the most popular? I was searching for where he should buy one and it seemed like they are mostly sold only in major cities

Last I read iirc that had some crazy pecent of the US market share. Just looked it up 73% market share.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't old style rechargeable NiCad batteries be used for eCigs? Something like AAA eneloops. I know Lithium batteries have highest energy density, but in case of something that you're putting into your mouth, I would think that physical imopossibility of overheating and explosion would have to factor in very strongly. Are they just not strong enough?

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't old style rechargeable NiCad batteries be used for eCigs? Something like AAA eneloops. I know Lithium batteries have highest energy density, but in case of something that you're putting into your mouth, I would think that physical imopossibility of overheating and explosion would have to factor in very strongly. Are they just not strong enough?
That energy density is a requirement unless you want to carry around batteries. And if yo ucarry around batteries, you'll see more fires or explosions because people are pretty dumb and will carry them with their metal keys.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That energy density is a requirement unless you want to carry around batteries. And if yo ucarry around batteries, you'll see more fires or explosions because people are pretty dumb and will carry them with their metal keys.

Buy is like a 2800mah eneloop really not enough to work the coil? I would think that would be fine.

I'd prefer being able to just drop in a AA vs having to charge.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This has to have been a custom piece right? Most vape pens are regulated these days, even box mods

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Buy is like a 2800mah eneloop really not enough to work the coil? I would think that would be fine.

It's not just the energy density - I forgot to mention that in my original post. I just remembered that Lithium batteries have MUCH higher maximum discharge rate, which must be important for this type of application. That's why all the most powerful flashlights use lithium batteries also.

If it wasn't for that, I think they would be able to use NiCad batteries, which could probably even be re-charged without removing them from the pen.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017

Well, consider this: Can a Ni-Cad deliver the same performance all the way down its energy scale? That is, as the voltage decreases, how much loss is there in effective delivery? How long do they take to charge, and how many times can they be conceivably charged?

Further, doesn't Europe ban Ni-Cad?

This is insane to me because to me juul juice tastes like ass.

Using and markten pro right now and it's okay
All it needs to do is taste better than cigarettes, and they already taste like ass, so it's not hard, at least.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened to a friend of mine at work. He was on the highway and it blew up in his pants pocket. Severely burnt his thigh. He ended up sueing the company. Got like 40k or something

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is insane to me because to me juul juice tastes like ass.

Using and markten pro right now and it's okay

You can buy other salt juices that are way better, and infinitely cheaper than juul packs. You can also easily refill the juul cartridges. I actually kind of like the juuls because I've had less problems with them than my evods, the cartridges last longer than evod tanks, and it's super compact. I also like the nicotine content being kinda nuts so I can just hit it a couple times and I'm good, but I'm a long time American spirit smoker which are fucked up as far as nicotine lol.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it was one of those Mech Mods or if it was one made by a company. There are all kinds of enthusiast made devices out there for sale at flea markets and random vape store that some random Joe made.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why you don't fuck around with mech mods. Always use a regulated mod.

I don't even have to read to know it was a mech mod and the dude had no clue what he was doing lol

Holy shit he really still had a mech mod?

I had one of those things years ago and even then I was like "This is a fucking time bomb". Literally just pressing it together to heat up the coil and barely any safety features besides "don't forget to lock it before you set it down LOL". Even then I remember placing it somewhere and forgetting and it just firing for a minute straight before I noticed the smell.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit he really still had a mech mod?

I had one of those things years ago and even then I was like "This is a fucking time bomb". Literally just pressing it together to heat up the coil and barely any safety features besides "don't forget to lock it before you set it down LOL". Even then I remember placing it somewhere and forgetting and it just firing for a minute straight before I noticed the smell.
Right? I stay FAR away from those. When I first started vaping instead of smoking I thought to look into it and was surprised to find that people didn't use any sort of regulation, just contacts. I'm not some master electrician, but I know well enough to know what that would do. Might as well light a battery on fire, it'd do the same shit when you're subohming.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the link with the Mechanical Mod info.
Yeah.... Be safe kids. Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right? I stay FAR away from those. When I first started vaping instead of smoking I thought to look into it and was surprised to find that people didn't use any sort of regulation, just contacts. I'm not some master electrician, but I know well enough to know what that would do. Might as well light a battery on fire, it'd do the same shit when you're subohming.

It's crazy he'd be using that shit. The fucking mod I have has more computing power in it than the Apollo space mission, I don't buy anything unless it's from one of the long-time companies who have been perfecting this stuff for years.

Says dude was an electrician too, of course this kind of crap will just get passed around by my in-laws and the rest of the nation

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When vaping started people were using little tiny batteries with 4.5V and like 10W of power. It was enough and small to look like a cig (think those Blu e-cigs, only a little bigger). You could refill the cartridges, etc.

Then people realized you could just take a metal tube, throw a big ass 18650 battery in it and get WAYYYY more power (and therefore vape). They were truly "mechanical" because all you were doing was squeezing the thing together to create a contact between the battery and the coil where the juice-soaked wick was. Literally no way to control the amount of voltage or wattage. Just "on" or "off" at full power every time you touched the connectors.

Now everyone has mods (aka batteries) that have chips in them that automatically control the wattage and voltage so you can't run them too hot or start a fire. Most any decent mod will just shut itself off if you press the fire button for more than like 8 seconds.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't smoke or vape but fuck, what a shitty way to go out. I heard about this on the radio today, apparently the smoke shop is refusing to comment? Not even letting customers know what kind of device he had? Seems shitty.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't smoke or vape but fuck, what a shitty way to go out. I heard about this on the radio today, apparently the smoke shop is refusing to comment? Not even letting customers know what kind of device he had? Seems shitty.

Sounds like the guy brought in this antique and the store told him to gtfo with it and they weren't touching it. Don't blame them one bit, not their product.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the guy brought in this antique and the store told him to gtfo with it and they weren't touching it. Don't blame them one bit, not their product.

Ok so the article they were reading from on the radio got it wrong then, they said he went in, bought a device (whatever they are called) and went outside into his grandmothers car and used it and it exploded.