• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Protect the statues! I mean, protect THESE statues. Not the ones that glorify slavery in the southern United States.

Oct 25, 2017
This is not the kind of thing one can live down. He's forever gonna be known as the guy who destroyed a prominent ancient artifact.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man they weren't kidding, that statue is OBLITERATED. Like it was made out of brown sugar or something...

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so no statue body buried under the ground?

Actually that's a real thing.

n8SCAY0.jpg

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I truly hate to see stuff like this. Destruction of cultural sites hurts all of humanity, and I'm sure it feels like an attack (because really it is, whether this shithead was concious of that or not) on the indigenous people.

EDIT: Even as an accident, this kind of negligence has real consequences that hurts the local culture and our collective history.

Last edited:

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn this person. I hope they get heavy fines.
Edit: apparently it was a vehicle malfunction. I'm an idiot for blaming this person without more info.

Why would they allow vehicles close to the statues? I would have thought they had these in an enclosed park or something. Or do people drive their vehicles inside the park? I've never been to Easter island.

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised more people haven't done stuff like this tbh. Knowing something is historic and protected makes it really tempting to break for some people. Especially when it's as easy as just driving your car into it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this person. I hope they get heavy fines.

Why would they allow vehicles close to the statues? I would have thought they had these in an enclosed park or something. Or do people drive their vehicles inside the park? I've never been to Easter island.

They're all over the island and the locals are normally extremely respectful of their heritage. This guy was local but he might have been having an episode of some kind.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018

I've visited the island a while ago; the Moai in the first image is not the one that has been damaged. It's not near the sea.

Also, this is a perfect chance to post gingerbeardmans project from the gaming side of the forum:
www.resetera.com

Moai in games?

Based on multiple threads on forums around the internet, as well as some original research, I have curated a list of games featuring Moai. From Gradius through Sam & Max to Super Mario Odyssey, I'm aiming to catch 'em all. Behold! 🗿 + 🎮 = 😎 https://moai.games Search the site to see if the...

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Purposely destroying cultural heritage and identity is one of the worst things you can do. If this was indeed on purpose they really should be locked up. They couldn't possibly pay for the damage they caused any other way.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently he is a local and it was an accident because his truck had a broken brake. Not that this change the outcome but still, its different that doing it on purpose

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're all over the island and the locals are normally extremely respectful of their heritage. This guy was local but he might have been having an episode of some kind.
Ah, the video isn't loading for me, and with multiple people saying he did it on purpose I assumed the video confirmed it. My bad. Thanks for clarifying that.

Quite sad that the statue was damaged. There's an archaeological park in my country with ancient statues that were stolen/vandalized before the government stepped up and somewhat started to care for them (nothing like Easter island of course; I think our tallest statue is maybe 7 meters tall), and it's quite sad to visit and see the damaged/weathered statues of a lost civilization.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Al Jazeera+ is (as always) biased. The crash was an accident, NOT deliberate:

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/world/americas/easter-island-statue.html
Gina Pakarati, a tour guide who is a relative of the unidentified driver, said in an interview that the man had parked his truck in the hilly, coastal area to go fishing, wedging rocks under the tires to keep it from moving. When he removed the rocks, the truck slid down the slope, which was slippery from weeks of rain, and rammed into the site.

The truck came to rest on top of pieces of the head, she said.

"This statue is lying down and the car is passing over the head of the moai, which was broken," she said.

She said the driver reported the damage to park rangers.

"He is very concerned with what happened," she said. "He is very stressed and very apologetic."

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Guess it was only a matter of time until this happened if they just let anyone drive their trucks right next to the statues. They should probably rethink that.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
His parole should be that he has one week to do this to the confederate statues in the Southern US. Give him a Ford F350.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
completely ignorant to how heavily easter island is "moderated" but i guess this sort of thing is inevitable. at least it's not like sumerian sites where you can basically spray paint a bunch of dicks everywhere because it's old infidel shit so fuck it

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember right, the stone the statues are made of is relativity soft, so they're very vulnerable to damage by tourists.