• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Who makes their travel plans to a city or country based on the airport quality?
I mean if you're traveling around the area and have some money to spare I can see someone ponying up for a transit there
Singapore is all kinds of fucked up. I've heard stories of them randomly drug testing tourists at the airport, and if you test positive they lock you up. Shit is nuts.
Immigration is a dick to me because I'm Nigerian stop me and basically interrogate me I once had someone from the embassy that my family knew and were friends with so I wouldn't waste time

Singapore really doesn't like how some Nigerians do stuff like smuggle drugs and the boko haram

I never once got drug tested

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
In Tampa you can just buy a pass that lets you go in the terminal and eat all that good food. I wouldn't do it but prob great for old people

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
rMXppFT.gif
Lol fuuuuuuuuck

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore's generally a little too jail happy for my tastes but their city works so I can't really fault them for sticking with it.

They should levy fines for extended stays, increasing the longer you stay past your ticket date.

Or they can turn it into an actual tourist area, the Disney World of airports. Either solution would be more preferable than jail time but maybe their jails aren't as archaic as America's and it's not a huge deal.

Now if this was a security issue I would totally understand but if they go through check-in surely it's kosher?
Why can't you fault them? It's bullshit authoritarianism and they still employ torture like caning.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People who fly business class definitely do.
People who churn through 4-5 credit cards every year or two for flight bonuses definitely do.
Sometimes people who fly first class consider this.
Seems a bit snobby and elitist. I'd never not go to a country or city with the airport as a chief or even minor consideration. Maybe location from town I would pick one airport over another, but that's about it. It's a transportation building. Don't really need primping and lounge access to get somewhere.

Travel frequently enough and you might too.
I travel pretty frequently. For work and pleasure, locally and internationally.

Oct 27, 2017

This showed up on my Facebook not too long ago.

The guy jokes about it but there actually is security keeping track of people in the airport.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Seems a bit snobby and elitist. I'd never not go to a country or city with the airport as a chief or even minor consideration. Maybe location from town, but not quality. It's a transportation building.

Exactly. It is a transportation building and usually airports will attract wealthier and frequent flying customers with facilities that makes waiting for your plane transfer a lot more comfortable. Usually this comes in the form of massage parlors, showers, high end restaraunts but having a bunch of plants indoors helps reduce stress levels in humans so Singapore airport is on the right track leaning on this unique twist.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't think we do that here. Never heard of anyone arrested because of random drug testing. We only care if you are bringing drugs in.

That's actually not the airport but a new shopping mall connected to the airport terminals. Looks like Balamb Garden. Was just there today.

They have good shower facilities and really nice ones if you pay more.
Are you Squall?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why can't you fault them? It's bullshit authoritarianism and they still employ torture like caning.
They run a prosperous city with good social safety nets. The police generally don't go around killing people like they do here. The prison conditions are pretty awful IIRC but there's nothing like the private prison industry in the US. I'm vaguely aware of some racism issues with regards to Chinese/Indigenous but I haven't looked too closely there. Wealth gap is pretty bad but every major city at that level has massive wealth gaps. Death penalty sucks for sure, and their attitude about drugs isn't great either.

It's not my ideal vision of a state but it does a lot of things better than the US despite being "authoritarian". Philosophically, I don't truck with authoritarianism, but I'd be lying if I said it always leads to the worst macro conditions for human living. Sometimes they succeed where democracies fail.

st_20180320_jsgini20_38475282.jpg

-1x-1.png

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are buying tickets and not flying and even getting refunds on their tickets just to hang out there. One person stayed for 18 days.
That's still not a good reason to send someone to prison for two years or fine them 15k. Kick them out, hell blacklist them from that airport if you want. Don't send them to prison or fine the hell out of them for something that harms no one.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Exactly. It is a transportation building and usually airports will attract wealthier and frequent flying customers with facilities that makes waiting for your plane transfer a lot more comfortable. Usually this comes in the form of massage parlors, showers, high end restaraunts but having a bunch of plants indoors helps reduce stress levels in humans so Singapore airport is on the right track leaning on this unique twist.
Like, I'm not arguing that extra amenities aren't great. I get that they are! I'm just saying I would not skip a city just because the airport is maybe crappy. And if a layover is that long and no visa is required for entry in the country, I'd do my best to try to see the city anyway rather than stay in any airport - even this one which I was in last year.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, Singapore should be condemned for executing (murdering) a large number of people, in the 90s sometimes 50+ people executed per year just for drug users and traffickers, note that this is a city with smaller population that Greater Toronto. Singapore should be condemned for the practice of caning, as always.
I notice Era does have a tendency to sweep disgusting human right violations under the rug when it comes to developed nations, under the disguise of (look at how orderly their society is), this is kind of similar to gender equality issues in Japan, which isn't being brought up nearly enough whenever Japan is in the conversation. This must be pointed out.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They run a prosperous city with good social safety nets. The police generally don't go around killing people like they do here. The prison conditions are pretty awful IIRC but there's nothing like the private prison industry in the US. I'm vaguely aware of some racism issues with regards to Chinese/Indigenous but I haven't looked too closely there. Wealth gap is pretty bad but every major city at that level has massive wealth gaps. Death penalty sucks for sure, and their attitude about drugs isn't great either.

It's not my ideal vision of a state but it does a lot of things better than the US despite being "authoritarian". Philosophically, I don't truck with authoritarianism, but I'd be lying if I said it always leads to the worst macro conditions for human living. Sometimes they succeed where democracies fail.

st_20180320_jsgini20_38475282.jpg

-1x-1.png
I didn't claim they were the worst state in existence, just that there is plenty to criticize them for. This would be one of those times where it is appropriate.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Like, I'm not arguing that extra amenities aren't great. I get that they are! I'm just saying I would not skip a city just because the airport is maybe crappy. And if a layover is that long and no visa is required for entry in the country, I'd do my best to try to see the city anyway rather than stay in any airport - even this one which I was in last year.
Fair enough. I feel the same way in I would prefer to visit the city itself but I don't fly frequently to the point I don't have a good grasp on why some people prefer to stay close to the airport for hours on end.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't claim they were the worst state in existence, just that there is plenty to criticize them for. This would be one of those times where it is appropriate.
I did say I don't think it's appropriate, but they run a better country than we do despite our liberal norms and morals, so what leg do I have to stand on except ideological exceptionalism?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Singapore should be condemned for executing (murdering) a large number of people, in the 90s sometimes 50+ people executed per year just for drug users and traffickers, note that this is a city with smaller population that Greater Toronto. Singapore should be condemned for the practice of caning, as always.
I notice Era does have a tendency to sweep disgusting human right violations under the rug when it comes to developed nations, under the disguise of (look at how orderly their society is), this is kind of similar to gender equality issues in Japan, which isn't being brought up nearly enough whenever Japan is in the conversation. This must be pointed out.
Yeah that rate of executions is disgusting, especially for drug offenses. Having any executions at all is disgusting, frankly, but this is especially worthy of condemnation.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did say I don't think it's appropriate, but they run a better country than we do despite our liberal norms and morals, so what leg do I have to stand on except ideological exceptionalism?
Maybe if the US was the size of a single large city you'd have a point, otherwise I don't think an 'ends justifies the means' approach is particularly valid here. Like canning people as punishment is unacceptable, capital punishment is unacceptable. It's just as unacceptable when the US does it. You of all people should know that given your normal posts on here. Seeing you cape for Singapore's draconian justice system is weird.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
On these specific issues (social safety net, police brutality, and mass incarceration), Singapore is far less problematic than the US, this is true.
Most people don't realize this and assumes Singapore has all the "harsh laws", however, outside of drug offenses (which can result in Life without parole in US as well, pretty easily), criminal sentencing for a typical crime can be several times to tens if not hundreds of times longer in US than Singapore.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You of all people should know that given your normal posts on here. Seeing you cape for Singapore's draconian justice system is weird.
If our liberal cities produced better results, I'd be more inclined to criticize Singapore, but on average, to my knowledge, they don't. I'm an obstinate consequentialist. Authoritarian police state vs liberal corporate corruption seems to tip in favor of the police state in terms of general human welfare. I wish it didn't work out like this but it does.

I support Hong Kong, for example, in their current crisis, but it's not like I think Hong Kong is a better place to live for your average person than Singapore.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
They may run a better country than US in most aspects, though a city state which has all the transportation and trade hub advantages in the world is hardly comparable to a massive diverse country like the US; Singapore is not a better run country than Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland or Netherlands, which happen to be countries with some of the best human right records in the world. Liberal morals and norms do tend to lead to great societies, Singapore is more the exception.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If our liberal cities produced better results, I'd be more inclined to criticize Singapore, but on average, to my knowledge, they don't. I'm an obstinate consequentialist. Authoritarian police state vs liberal corporate corruption seems to tip in favor of the police state in terms of general human welfare. I wish it didn't work out like this but it does.

I support Hong Kong, for example, in their current crisis, but it's not like I think Hong Kong is a better place to live for your average person than Singapore.
Right but Singapore can be a better place to live for the average person than a lot of places and still be engaging in human rights abuses and thus deserving of criticism for that. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I mean Japan has, generally, a much better justice system than the US but there is still plenty wrong with it to criticize. The same is true of Singapore. It's not like the city would collapse into ruin if they stopped executing or caning people, those aren't necessary parts of what makes their quality of life high overall.

The punishment in this case is also excessive and thus worthy of condemnation.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
I mean Japan has, generally, a much better justice system than the US but there is still plenty wrong with it to criticize. The same is true of Singapore. It's not like the city would collapse into ruin if they stopped executing or caning people, those aren't necessary parts of what makes their quality of life high overall.

Exactly, current political situation aside, there's nothing suggesting that HK is a less safe place than Singapore, yet HK practices neither Death Penalty or Caning. Same applies to Macau.
Singapore can be a great society without death penalty, or caning.
Also, being gay is technically still illegal in Singapore, that also needs to be addressed.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, current political situation aside, there's nothing suggesting that HK is a less safe place than Singapore, yet HK practices neither Death Penalty or Caning. Same applies to Macau.
Also, being gay is technically still illegal in Singapore, that also needs to be addressed.
Yup, that's pretty much my point.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Thinking about it.. all those american movies where they say goodbye just before boarding the flight.. is that really a thing or even possible without a ticket?

You can request a gate pass at the ticket counter. It is at the agent's discretion, but it is free.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yup. I'm Singaporean and I think the death penalty and caning has to go. Unfortunately previous efforts to petition and fight against that, along with decriminalisation of sex between makes, have been futile. Maybe capital punishment worked in the past but there's no reason why we should still keep it. A large percentage of our prisoners are also there because of drug related offences, which was something I discovered only recently.

Unfortunately a lot of Singaporeans still think that the death penalty for drug trafficking should remain, even though the younger population is slowly agreeing that it shouldn't be the case.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Or they can turn it into an actual tourist area, the Disney World of airports. Either solution would be more preferable than jail time but maybe their jails aren't as archaic as America's and it's not a huge deal.

Now if this was a security issue I would totally understand but if they go through check-in surely it's kosher?

Unlike a lot of major airports, Changi uses per gate security. You still need a boarding pass to get past the check-in counters, but there is no epic metal-detector lineup - you do that in a much smaller fashion to enter a specific gate instead.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't cane anyone for chewing gum. Chewing gum has never a crime. Only the sale of it. And doctors can prescribe gum that's meant to help people who are trying to quite cigarettes. And the punishment is not caning... And we don't usually arrest people for petty stuff. In fact we have entire days where we had no crime reported.

If you read my post again you'll see I was deliberately mocking the misconceptions around that case by the American press and public - and Singapore in particular -and the way it was viewed from the States - people were really fascinated by it and a lot of folks were outraged that physical punishment could be meted out to an American teenager - and a lot of people were like, "he seems like a spoiled little shit who's finally taking local laws and customs seriously."

What he was actually caned for was stealing road signs and quite seriously vandalising cars.

He confessed at the time buy his lawyers got him to claim he was tricked or intimidated into confessing. They portrayed him as a kid who'd been railroaded into being an example by the Singapore authorities - and that he was a well behaved responsible kid - later it was revealed that the kid was a rolling trash fire with a predisposition to exactly this kind of thing and worse. He apparently punched or slapped his own father when the authorities handed him back and later went on to having a gas huffing "career" of poorly thought out shenanigans.

I'm sure he's matured since then but it was embarrassing to have the president go to bat for the kid as an international incident. Basically an early case of affluenza with an international component.

BTW I'm against caning as a punishment on general principle but especially because if an innocent person is jailed they can be freed and compensated. But they can't be unbeaten and untraumatized.

But this kid was just a burden on everyone he interacted with. He should have spent a couple of months in the clink and made to fix everything he stole and vandalized.

Last edited: