• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People sleep on Mike Tyson Mysteries. Its up there with the best stuff Adult Swim's aired.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I don't know if anyone in here is sleeping on Joe Pera Talks With You, but its legit one of my favorite shows in forever.

I'll continue to sing the praises of Joe Pera Talks With You. The show is pure genius and is such a great counter to everything else Adult Swim has produced.

Seriously, if anyone in here is sleeping on Pera, stop what you're doing and stream the show. I believe the first season is available for free on the Adult Swim site while some of his earlier work with MTV or independent productions are up on You Tube.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The Golden Age of [as] came at just the right time for me. My late high school and college years were heavily influenced by some of the best shows on TV. Space Ghost, early Aqua Teen, Venture Bros, Sealab, Brak, Harvey Birdman, and a whole mess of amazing anime was just perfect and was endlessly quoted around the dorm.

Still absolutely shocked Venture Bros is still going after all this time.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The Golden Age of [as] came at just the right time for me. My late high school and college years were heavily influenced by some of the best shows on TV. Space Ghost, early Aqua Teen, Venture Bros, Sealab, Brak, Harvey Birdman, and a whole mess of amazing anime was just perfect and was endlessly quoted around the dorm.

Still absolutely shocked Venture Bros is still going after all this time.
And VB is the best it's ever been too, the reveals last season is stuff I've been waiting for since S2 lol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really gonna be the first person to mention Xavier: Renegade Angel? Tell me that ain't so.

92d.gif

YcQjQj0.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about Joe Pera, but I haven't got around to watching it yet. Venture Bros is the shit

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Children's Hospital is up there among my favs as well as all the classics. Started college in the fall of 2000 and a kid I met there told us about aqua teen and sealab and from then on I've watched AS pretty much every night since then.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks that there could be a new Brendon Small show on right now if not for how AS treated him

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Pera Talks With You is the best show on TV right now.

Here's two full episodes Adult Swim put on YouTube:

All of Season 1 and the first two episodes of the currently airing Season 2 can be watched without a cable login on the Adult Swim app/site

Children's Hospital is up there among my favs as well as all the classics. Started college in the fall of 2000 and a kid I met there told us about aqua teen and sealab and from then on I've watched AS pretty much every night since then.

Children's Hospital is amazing
Eagleheart is pretty great, too

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Venture Bros. and Harvey Birdman are basically the only two original Adult Swim shows I care about. Most everything else is trying way too hard to be edgy or weird just for the sake of it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venture Bros. and Harvey Birdman are basically the only two original Adult Swim shows I care about. Most everything else is trying way too hard to be edgy or weird just for the sake of it.
Tim & Eric: Awesome Show is arguably the most influential comedy series of the 2000's

I've heard some recent discussion that Adult Swim, so far, has been the most significant cultural television event this century so far. And it's hard to argue against that. Sure there's been prestige television, but The Wire, Oz, and Sopranos all kicked off in the 90s.

It was inevitable that 90's nostalgia would arrive but Tim and Eric taught advertisers how to utilize it. Between DVD sales and reruns, Adult Swim helped revive Futurama and Family Guy. And while the voices given platforms on Adult Swim have been a bit...homogenized...creators like Aaron McGruder , Eric Andre, Brad Neely, and Brandon Small were given a platform no major network would take a chance on. Well okay, Small was on UPN but whatever.

But those are success stories. The reason why Adult Swim works is because they take so many weird risk. Heck, look at Joe Pera's genuinely heartwarming, nearly therapeutic show. They're still going in directions no one could predict. And it's thanks to low budgets and...erm...a lack of worker's rights. But hey, it's a start!
Yeah, Home Movies was on UPN and it only lasted a season. Nobody watched it.

Exactly to your point, Adult Swim gave him a better platform and three more seasons and now Home Movies is considered one of the best animated series ever made.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've said this many times, but I'm mad Moral Orel never got a full home video release in America. I would KILL for a Blu Ray set of the whole series.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also arguably the weirdest show in the network's history.

I tried to watch their film and only got about 10 minutes in before I couldn't stomach it any longer.
Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie is very bad, though. A huge misstep. I wouldn't fault anyone for turning off so quickly. The format doesn't work.

the series and the tv specials are far superior

For that matter, though, the Aqua Teen Hunger Force film is also fucking terrible.

Don't turn 11 minute shows into 90 minute movies!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
WATCH DELOCATED
WATCH DELOCATED
WATCH DELOCATED

(and also Jon Glaser Loves Gear)

Adult Swim has a ton of garbo, but the good stuff is real good and I'm heartened at the representation in this thread.

ALSO PSA
Childrens Hospital SPINOFF "Medical Police" starts in a week on NETFLIX.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You should get some sleep, you look exhausted"
"Sleep is for fat people"
"I'm just sayin' you look exhausted..."
"I'm just saying' you're fat"

Also...this entire scene is comedic gold, especially when he yells.

i'm kind of astonished how much this dumb gag still makes me laugh this much. i'm gonna have to give this whole thing a rewatch again soon, god that show was fantastic

May 10, 2019
Off the Air
giphy.gif

Lucy Daughter of the Devil
tumblr_m0wafh5sKZ1r036doo2_250.gifv

The Room
giphy.gif

The Room was it's own thing and had nothing to do with Adult Swim as for as production but they had aired it in it's entirety years ago. I was with friends, high as hell, and just started watching it. At first we thought is AS joke or a Tim & Eric special but by the end we couldn't look away. Adult Swim just randomly showing this one night and we got hooked.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I miss ATHF so much

Mike Tyson's Mysterious feels like a nice spiritual sequel of sorts though. Good amount of dumb lines and situations in this show too.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Some day our prince will come. Though the true ending is hidden in the vinyl order of Galaktikon II if ya wanna go digging. It's all metaphorical and nowhere as fun a true finale would be, but it's better than nothing.

Oh wow I didn't even know that was a thing. Thanks I'll check it out! Vague closure is better than none I guess

Jun 10, 2018
I regularly rewatch Sealab and reminisce on better days when I stayed up just to catch an episode.

Still holds up pretty damn well. Of course, the show lost something after the death of Harry Goz, but the latter seasosns are entertaining.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Arguably the defining television of the millennial era.

I love KaptainKristian's video on Adult Swim.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I caught their late night Home Shopping Network once last year and thought it was awfully clever. I used to catch most Saturdays and every Sunday. I just don't think I can watch tv like that anymore. I'll DVR shows I know I like, but I'm not discovering anything new because I'm not just letting that play in the background while I'm doing whatever. I'd rather have Netflix doing its thing or just let YouTube auto play. For me, and there are a few stand outside here and there, but it was Xavier that marked the beginning of the end.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Arguably the defining television of the millennial era.

I love KaptainKristian's video on Adult Swim.

that was awesome

i remember staying up late to watch space ghost when i was a kid in the 90's and talking about it with my friends at school. everything in that video i was there for and watched it all unfold. cant believe were going on 25 years since those days. fuck im old.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
WATCH DELOCATED
WATCH DELOCATED
WATCH DELOCATED

(and also Jon Glaser Loves Gear)

Adult Swim has a ton of garbo, but the good stuff is real good and I'm heartened at the representation in this thread.

ALSO PSA
Childrens Hospital SPINOFF "Medical Police" starts in a week on NETFLIX.
Delocated was great. I actively avoided trying to look up who it was that played the main character. It was some episode of Parks and Rec that made me realize who it was under the mask lol.