• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It was pretty much inevitable at this point. With income equality reaching record levels, it was only a matter of time before Hollywood decided to give their takes in the form of film. And it seemed that this year had many more of such movies than we've seen in a long time.

Parasite dealt with interactions between the rich and poor. Joker reinvented its character to depict mental illness and his struggles with society.The Last Black Man in San Francisco handled gentrification. Both Knives Out and Ready or Not depicts asshole families and their interactions when someone lower in class interacts with them. Hustlers showed the lengths that those lesser off would go after losing their stability. And the list goes on.

Which other movies last year did you think dealt with class conflict? Which movies do you think did it best and those who could have done better with it?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I was just talking about this with a friend the other day

Other examples of amazing movies dealing with this theme are Us and Bacurau. They are up there with Parasite and The Last Black Man in San Francisco for me

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
This is a common theme in foreign and independent films. Glad to see it's getting more recognition from movie goers.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Forgot about Us. It definitely had themes of that sort, though I wish that movie explored that aspect more.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I liked the themes in pretty much all of the aforementioned movies, though I think it's most central to Parasite and dealt with the best there.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think Parasite did it the best simply because there are a bunch of different interpretations for it. All the families in it are parasites in their own ways. It's a great look at how the rich and poor feed off of each other.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco is also fantastic. It's more of a personal story since it was based on Jimmie Fails & Joe Talbot's life growing up in SF, but they do a wonderful job of showing the cultural shift there and how gentrification is pushing people out. Also love how it deals with toxic masculinity & male friendship.