• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Male of female Eivor?

• Male

Votes: 439 52.1%
  • Female

Votes: 403 47.9%

• Total voters

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, female is canon. Technically "let the animus decide" is canon and that picks female Eivor with the exception of some spoilery scenes. Again, Eivor is a female name.
Oh my bad, the other comments were posted at the same time as mine.

The prequel comic uses female as well so I don't get why they used the male version more, pretty dumb of Ubisoft.
www.eurogamer.net

Assassin's Creed prequel picks female Eivor as canon main character

Ubisoft has said both male and female main character options in Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be canon - but the game'…

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I like the female actor

I don't get how she gets criticized as being 'gruff' or 'edgy'. I mean, she's a murderous bloodthirsty Viking. How should she sound?

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I started as female because... man, fucking Alexios... ugh. But I eventually switched over to male, because I thought this game needed heavy metal beard energy. I ended up liking his voice actor more as well.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Eivor is typically a name for women iirc...
I don't think it's even "typical", it just is. It's like asking "Did you pick male or female Elizabeth?" That's why Scandinavian players ask "Why is there even a male option if you named the character Eivor?" The only reason it gets any kind of leeway at all in other parts of the world is that we're simply not familiar with the name.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
As others have said, Male voice actor is better (and you get to try all the Viking beards!), and technically the "canon" option is letting the Animus decide. No, nobody will be able to explain why without getting into spoilers. This option is not randomly selecting, but rather you'll play as both throughout your game. Who you play as at what points is a spoiler. I will say choosing this option means you'll play as Female far more.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Oh really? They always used the male version in every trailer and marketing material or at least most of them. Should have made my research better. Thx for pointing it out to me.
Marketing has nothing to do with the story. The marketed the shit out of Alexios, too, even though Kassandra is canon. Not because he was "meant" to be the "real" main character, but because the target audience of young, white, straight males will "never buy a game with a girl on the cover". That's the reason why Ubisoft has embraced this recent idea of "choice" instead of just giving us a game with a locked female protagonist. The actual development teams have been trying to do that for the last three games and failing every time to get it past the Board.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I went with Male. If the video game industry won't give me some gay, male characters, I'll make them myself dammit.

Also, I really dig his voice actor. I appreciate that a typically "macho" character is more soft-spoken than the stereotype usually allows.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I'll choose the Canon gender when it's gonna be confirmed.

I usually buy my Assassin's Creed games 2 years after release so I'll know by then.

Oct 25, 2017
Female Eivor is the canon choice since there are multiple moments where characters will refer to them as "her" even if you are playing the male character.

I've tried both, and I just like the sound of male Eivor's voice.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Female Eivor is trying way too hard. Male VO is a lot better in this one. I didn't play Odyssey but always enjoyed seeing Kassandra's performance moreso in Let's Plays but this one is the total opposite.

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing has nothing to do with the story. The marketed the shit out of Alexios, too, even though Kassandra is canon. Not because he was "meant" to be the "real" main character, but because the target audience of young, white, straight males will "never buy a game with a girl on the cover". That's the reason why Ubisoft has embraced this recent idea of "choice" instead of just giving us a game with a locked female protagonist. The actual development teams have been trying to do that for the last three games and failing every time to get it past the Board.

The "antiquity trilogy" which would be origins, odyssey and valhalla are so fucking weird because of this. The female choice is the canon choice and Aya who was only playable for a bit in Origins is the actual important person in Assassin's Creed lore compared to Bayek.

Ubisoft straight up refuses to make the female option the only option.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked male Eivor better. Kassandra was the easy choice in Odyssey because her VO was amazing, but I wasn't impressed by female Eivor's voice. I think male Eivor's VO is just a lot better here. Also picked male Eivor because he reminds me of Ragnar Lothbrok.

robhans

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
IMO
Małe - Better looks, better voice, better preformance, you can have beard and go full bare chested tattooed "Fantasy Viking" But you playing as a male skin only. Eivor is female name and you will be refered as a "she" plenty of time.
Female - Canon version, no one misgender you, one of the Secret cutscene isint programemed for a male, and famele version is in a cutscene.

Personaly I much prefered male version but you have to accept that its a only skin and female is canon.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
In Odyssey, I happily chose Kassandra. I hated the voice acting of the male main character whose name I forget.

But in Valhalla, the male VA is great. I'm not huge into the female Eivor voice acting (not nearly as bad as the male VA in Odyssey, though), so I chose the male Eivor.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Male this time

Female Eivor wasn't very good to me compared to Cassandra. I really liked whoever voiced male this time around though.... was actually really good.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I like the female actor

I don't get how she gets criticized as being 'gruff' or 'edgy'. I mean, she's a murderous bloodthirsty Viking. How should she sound?
I feel she doesn't pull off the murderous bloodthirsty viking, so when someone says she is 'gruff' or 'edgy' I take that to mean they think the VO is hammy. And I agree that the VO misses the mark quite a bit for me when trying to convey a murderous bloodthirsty viking.

I can't vote in the poll tho because I have spent all 93 hours with female Eivor so have nothing to compare it to.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
They both seem boring as hell, which is why I've not bothered with Valhalla. Kassandra was so great in Odyssey.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The VA for both characters is pretty good. I prefer Female, but the gulf is not even remotely as wide as it was in Odyssey.

Also, they have Let the animus decide in there for a reason.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Male because he is Cnut from Last Kingdom.

latest

Chose on this basis and wasn't disappointed, dude really got into the role.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure when I'll be playing this but my decision basically hinges on one thing - are there gay relationships for male Eivor, and are they better than their equivalents in Odyssey (as in, they aren't forgotten after the quest ends?)

I think it'd be neat to finally play a major RPG again with a M/M relationship but if it's more fluff than anything else I'll just go with Animus Decides.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Male voice actor is a fair bit better. Story wise it doesn't matter.

Though I guess being male does have one story advantage
the vision of Odin in your head is the male character model aged up, which hints at what's going on with the story - if you pick female I imagine it's be harder to figure out until they spell it out for you

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Ultimately, voice actor performances are down to personal preference. I think they're both good. That being said, I recommend choosing 'Let the Animus Decide'. It gives you the canonically correct Eivor, and it is not a random switch. Going this route, you'll play as female Eivor the vast majority of the time. She's clearly the intended protagonist, and Ubisoft giving the option for a male Eivor is purely because they're afraid the game won't sell without a male protagonist...in other words, it's Ubisoft being on their sexist BS again. At least the male performance is significantly better than the tacked on one from Odyssey.

OP
OP
fanboy

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
So lets say I pick male. Then I read everything about the story and canon stuff on the internet. Will I still have great gaming and story wise experience where everything makes sense?

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
You get much better VA in the male Ivor without it affecting the story in any way so it's an easy choice. Same as odyssey Kassandra was the easy choice.

BUT you can switch at will in this one so I'd try both and see which you prefer.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I was playing with male, and I think I prefer the Male look and VA but dialogue makes more sense with female Eivor in her parts (not constantly but here or there eg. at one point a character compares you to a Valkyrie) so I went with let the Animus decide and it seems like the best way to play for the story and how things are written. I've come to really like Eivor anyway and the female version has plenty of her own charm.
Oh really? They always used the male version in every trailer and marketing material or at least most of them. Should have made my research better. Thx for pointing it out to me.
This is because higher ups at Ubisoft think women characters can't sell. Kassandra was the canon character in Odyssey too but was largely kept out of marketing and relegated to the reverse cover just like Eivor.

I hope this trend changes over there but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Female is canon, but I went into this absolutely wanting to play as a metal beard Viking, so I picked male. Don't regret it because the VA is fantastic.

So lets say I pick male. Then I read everything about the story and canon stuff on the internet. Will I still have great gaming and story wise experience where everything makes sense?
The gender doesn't influence the story or canon, so try out both and pick the one you like.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
The male Eivor. His voice is real nice to listen to and also he can rock a sweet beard.

I will say if Ubisoft wants to make a female assassin canon then they should grow a pair and only include a female character to play as and vice versa.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Cnut's my jam - my gf was playing as the female Eivor and the voice acting is quite jarring. Enough to put her off continuing and to validate my option to avoid it from the start, unfortunately.