• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
John Wayne's given name is Marion.

I've known girls named Mikel and Ryan. I have girl cousins named Riley and Reagan.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I wouldn't worry about that OP. Some names are just naturally unisex.

You should be more focused on how Riley's also Number 1 in Irish dog names.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
American names are cringe worthy lol

George Lopez and a few other comedians have funny bits about Dekota, Tanner's, and whatever other names you can think of 😱😲😳😱😱😳

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That was just an observation. I don't mind how someone is named. You can't choose your own name and I had enough problems with my name as well.

mans to assume that poor people are trash is your conclusion not mine ;). We have a similar category for rich kids trash names.
So are the names in the OP rich German trashy or poor German trashy?

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
3mnf2p.jpg

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Poor people are trash, got it.

Even tho I also didn't like the term "trash" in that post, the poster you are responding to, didn't say or imply that at all jfc.

It's simply a phenomenon in German that culture low income households have a high probability of choosing a US/UK name from pop culture compared to affluent parents (they tend to go with traditional names).
Take "Kevin" for example. After the movie Home alone came out (German title "Kevin Allein zu Haus"), there was a massive spike in boys named Kevin, the vast majority of them from low income households.
Chantal and Mandy are the female versions (there is a comedian called "Mandy aus Marzahn" that perpetuates the stereotype).
As we speak, there's probably a lot of Drakes and Kylies being born.

Pointing out these trends is not an attack on low(er) income households.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Even tho I also didn't like the term "trash" in that post, the poster you are responding to, didn't say or imply that at all jfc.

It's simply a phenomenon in German that culture low income households have a high probability of choosing a US/UK name from pop culture compared to affluent parents (they tend to go with traditional names).
Take "Kevin" for example. After the movie Home alone came out (German title "Kevin Allein zu Haus"), there was a massive spike in boys named Kevin, the vast majority of them from low income households.
Chantal and Mandy are the female versions (there is a comedian called "Mandy aus Marzahn" that perpetuates the stereotype).
As we speak, there's probably a lot of Drakes and Kylies being born.

Pointing out these trends is not an attack on low(er) income households.
Same thing happens in Mexico. Exactly like you just described it, and it is also with low income households.

In fact, it's a meme to refer to those persons as Brians (misspelled as Brayan) and Brittanies.

The Kevin thing also happened, but it was in early 2000 (Kevin from The Backstreet Boys).

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
So are the names in the OP rich German trashy or poor German trashy?
Those would be poor trashy names, because these are no German names. But you will take this out of context, right? Statistically poor people choose English or American names more often. These names often are stigmatized. We even have a name for this. Kevinismus or Chantalismus. Kevinism and Chantalism. Is this good? Of course not but this is the reality with those names.

edit: regenhuber explained it already.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Andrea? i know in the US is a female name but here is male
Andrea depends on the language most notably in Italian, that it's theier MALE version for Andrew.

But it other languages such as Czech, Slovak, Polish, Slovenian, Dutch, Bulgarian, English,, German, Hungarian, Scandinavian languages and Spanish,
it's a FEMALE name

Andrew, André, Andrei, Andrej is the MALE version of Andrew in many of those other languages

Oct 25, 2017
México
Andrea depends on the language most notably in Italian, that it's theier MALE version for Andrew.

But it other languages such as Czech, Slovak, Polish, Slovenian, Dutch, Bulgarian, English,, German, Hungarian, Scandinavian languages and Spanish,
it's a FEMALE name

Andrew, André, Andrei, Andrej is the MALE version of Andrew in many of those other languages
In Spanish, yes, Andrea is a female name (Andrés is the male equivalent). But we have a German male co-worker and his name is Andreas (with an S at the end).

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Claire and Tiffany used to be neutral before becoming more associated with femininity. Tiffany also used to be a diminutive/nickname before migrating to regular name

Mostly what I've learned about names is that media can massively alter the perception of a name