• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I can't offer any reason as to why the former appears to be more popular than the latter, I just thought it was interesting and that people might enjoy discussing it! The one obvious patter with male-to-female names is that the majority end in an "ee" sound. Does that mean Davey and Robbie are next?

Maybe because the number of women is greater in the general population and they tend live longer than men, any names that are spread across sexes are more likely to remain (and eventually become exclusive to) female than male. There's probably also some sexist ideology built into the idea that a woman can have a man's name but not vice versa.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
In which culture has Kai originally been a female name? In the latin origins it is def a male name (Cajus). I think the Hawaiian origin is not exclusively female either..
Okay, I'm not 100% sure about the origin, but up until 2004 you had to add a second name to it in Germany if you wanted to use it as a boy's name (like Kai-Uwe, or Kai-Peter). It took until 2004 for it to be recognized as a dominantly male name. So I assumed it was female originally.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
When I was in elementary school, I knew a girl named Kyle. For the longest time, I thought that was a girls name.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I knew a couple girls growing up who were named Michael. I felt kinda bad for them because teachers, etc. would always make a big deal of it. "OH! I though you were a BOY. haha. WHOOPS."

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is funny, I don't think Portuguese has a single common name that can be used for both genders. Sometimes people come up with their own unique (and usually awful) names and they might sound ambiguous, but other than that, if someone says a name you pretty much know what gender was assigned to the person at birth.

From the top of my head, Darci can be used for both genders.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
My name is Alexis, and I'm a latino guy. I recall a teacher from high school when calling roll after I responded to my name, he gave me a weird look and said "You don't look like an Alexis to me, you serious?". He was a middle-aged white guy.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is funny, I don't think Portuguese has a single common name that can be used for both genders. Sometimes people come up with their own unique (and usually awful) names and they might sound ambiguous, but other than that, if someone says a name you pretty much know what gender was assigned to the person at birth.
Ariel
It used to be male only but Little Mermaid made it be majority female. Source I have a male friend called Ariel
My name is Alexis, and I'm a latino guy. I recall a teacher from high school when calling roll after I responded to my name, he gave me a weird look and said "You don't look like an Alexis to me, you serious?". He was a middle-aged white guy.
TBF I think Alexis is still considered a male name in latino countries. Alexis Sanchez is a very famous player.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
TBF I think Alexis is still considered a male name in latino countries. Alexis Sanchez is a very famous player.
Oh for sure, it's still used, my grandpa has my name, and I know other children with my name from latino families. It was just that odd moment in my life when someone didn't know that my name wasn't just used for girls.

Oct 25, 2017
México
The name of my daughter is Ariel.

There is a male actor in Mexico called Ariel Lopez Padilla, and there is also a brand of detergent called Ariel.

But The Little Mermaid transformed the name from male to female. In fact, my daughter is the only Ariel I know in real life.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
9780141439860.jpg

The novel's popularity led to Shirley's becoming a woman's name. The title character was given the name that her father had intended to give a son. Before the publication of the novel Shirley was an uncommon but distinctly male name. Today it is regarded as a distinctly female name.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Aubrey for sure, although it shifted from male to female decades ago. My oldest daughter is named Aubrey.

I named my son Quinn and now he's 9 and the only Quinn's I see are girls.

I never really associated Quinn with a particular gender, but you're right, its popularity did swap places in the last decade (at least here in Alberta).

r0hH7pc.png

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Girls don't face any significant issues socially for having a masculine name. The same is not true of the inverse. (they've done studies on this, isn't just an anecdotal thing)
Not only is it not an issue, there are actually studies showing it's an advantage for women to have a male sounding name. Which is very annoying cause my wife is extremely insistent on giving our imaginary future daughter a male sounding name because of that and often throws out name suggestions.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Not only is it not an issue, there are actually studies showing it's an advantage for women to have a male sounding name. Which is very annoying cause my wife is extremely insistent on giving our imaginary future daughter a male sounding name because of that and often throws out name suggestions.
Yeah, I think culture currently views male traits are positive and female negative, especially when adopted by the other gender. Like, a women in men's clothes is less unusual than a man in women's clothes.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
  • Tristyn
  • Ashtin
  • Jaedyn
these are not real names
Wouldn't Tristyn and Ashtin just being variations originating from "Tristan/Tristam" and "Ashton", just fluffed through letter-play? It would be like naming your kid "Lindsey", but spelling it specifically like "Lyndsee", or instead of calling your daughter "Catherine/Katherine", you call her "Katheryn". Or, maybe more of an eyesore, instead of "Jennifer", "Jennypher".

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Wouldn't Tristyn and Ashtin just being variations originating from "Tristan/Tristam" and "Ashton", just fluffed through letter-play? It would be like naming your kid "Lindsey", but spelling it specifically like "Lyndsee", or instead of calling your daughter "Catherine/Katherine", you call her "Katheryn". Or, maybe more of an eyesore, instead of "Jennifer", "Jennypher".
Jaedyn might also be based on the biblical name Jadon. The weird spellings are annoying sometimes, but probably 90% of people's names now are similarly corrupted compared to their etymological origins.