• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There have been a lot of threads about the future of Street Fighter and who people want to come back and who should stay gone. One constant seems to be that the newcomer F.A.N.G should be the main one that gets axed, but most if not all of the reasons for this are shallow. Heck, he's not my favorite character or anything either, but I feel compelled to put some respect on his name. Especially over a popular choice like Laura who does literally nothing.

latest

To me, people who think F.A.N.G won't come back may be disappointed. He's basically the second main antagonist of the story next to Bison, even more than Necalli. He was proactive in his duties to the point of even being the arguable leader of Shadaloo over Bison who leaves most of the work to him.
  • He was the main one getting things done by having a team build the doomsday weapons and hunting down its launch keys when a rouge hacker goes AWOL and scatters them across the world.
dScS7Zk.jpg

• Had an encounter with literally everyone to mess with them or be messed with. At this point almost everyone knows who he is.
xVmdVKh.gif

• Killed Rashid's best friend (aforementioned rouge hacker), making him an eternal arch-nemesis.
Street.Fighter.full.2484103.jpg

• The only one truely loyal to Bison with Sagat gone and both Vega and Balrog having a foot out the door.
fang-conquer.png

• Was the catalyst for the bond between Sean and Ken, and the reason he becomes a fighter.
vMst4DU.gif

• Is genuinely entertaining as a villain throughout his appearances, bringing a unique and eccentric personality to the series.
tumblr_nyzhiqhscE1s8pkxxo1_500.gif

Regardless of how you feel, the impact of his presence in the SFV's story cannot be overstated enough. The only thing against him is that he has an awkward play style and that people don't really vibe with his design. Both of which could easily be fixed in the next game.

wall_novel5_1_mv.jpg

In just one game he has probably achieved more than many characters have done in several.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the story. Ol Street Fighter ass story. I care about how goofy this mf looks and I never want to see him again.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please move on from Bison and Fang. Both of these characters are so uninteresting.

I would love a new antagonist.

Heck, Even Seth is now much more interesting than both.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While I don't think F.A.N.G himself will return, I do think his protégé (Phantom) could be playable in SFVI.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like Fang. He's a pretty memorable character, both design and playstyle wise. I don't think he should get axed just because he's a weirdo

OP
OP
BackwardCap

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can you elaborate on this? I forgot everything that happened in the story mode lol. Is it because Bison is "dead"?
Even before Bison's defeat, Balrog and Vega had clear ulterior motives or higher priorities. When things started going south they both jetted while Fang stayed behind.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I wouldn't mind FANG returning but G is my favorite newcomer.

The only one truely loyal to Bison with Sagat gone and both Vega and Balrog having a foot out the door.

No but like for real at this point why do the latter two even help Bison? Vega especially seems more like "Well, I guess I'm here."

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Necalli is one of the best SFV newcomers.
Necalli is honestly wasted potential at every turn, to the point where I'm not sure what they can do with him in the future. At least F.A.N.G played his part, did it pretty well, & has some potential going forward training Phantom to take his place in a potential post-SFIII:3S world. As for Laura, she definitely has room for improvement, but the potential is there (especially regarding her dynamic with Sean).

Oct 26, 2017
I like FANG, but he's in that tier of "goofy new character who has a small fanbase, but will probably never return", along with Hakan, El Fuerte and Abigail.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Necalli is honestly wasted potential at every turn, to the point where I'm not sure what they can do with him in the future. At least F.A.N.G played his part, did it pretty well, & has some potential going forward training Phantom to take his place in a potential post-SFIII:3S world. As for Laura, she definitely has room for improvement, but the potential is there (especially regarding her dynamic with Sean).
Laura is one of the most insulting female characters I can even think of. She is atrocious.

FANG is a cartoon character villain with an outdated look and personality.

Necalli is a cool character that was given a horrible story.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I loved watching Xian play Fang in the early days of SF5. So good.

But I don't think the story is that important of a factor to Capcom. If they don't want him in they just retcon his relevance to a minimum.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38333

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2018
God, no. Of all the new character designs, FANG was the worst to look at, worst to play as/against, and worst to even listen to. FANG just looks like an out of place, goofy Dragonball character.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Laughing at anyone that thinks Necalli is a real character. You could give his move set to Twelve and nobody would notice.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Fight the good fight OP.
FANG's playstyle unfortunately didn't grab me, but he stands out a lot design wise among recent street fighter additions, that creepily thin silhouette is pretty distinct in the genre full stop.
And his eccentric nature really let the designers play around with his attack animations.

Plus that banger theme needs to return as well.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a serious answer, no I don't want FANG in SF6 because the more shadaloo in that game the more I'll be pissed off.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
He plays a significant role in the story but at the end of the day no one plays FANG and that isn't just because he's bad (bad characters like Ryu, Juri, Chun have high play rates), it's because people don't like the design.

I don't think we'll ever see him in a mainline Street Fighter game again. But I may be wrong.

People with true taste don't need outside validation.

I think Necalli is a popular character. People don't play him all too often but when I hear people talk about Necalli they often speak about how well realised he is in the game.

He's one of the only character that leans heavily into SFV's new systems, wherein his v-skill and v-trigger really transform his gameplay.

His story and dialogue are terrible though, but that's something more easily worked out than a bad aesthetic or moveset.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, he's great. One of the best newcomers, definitely the most memorable and unique, he deserves more love. Just spitting fax, no bias.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He was great for what his role was.

I don't know if he'll fit in SFVI, especially if they want to take a break from Shadaloo again after V.

slib

Banned
Nov 2, 2019
When it comes to fighting games with huge casts of characters, especially Street Fighter and Capcom's Versus, I've found it easier to find the characters I don't want and put them in a list rather than a giant unrealistic list of characters I do want. It's helped quell my expectations in a good way and makes me genuinely appreciate the surprising picks a lot more too.

That being said FANG is near the top of that list.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Honestly not a fan of any of the launch newcomers except for Rashid.

Think the rest we got via DLC with the exception of Abigail were more for me.

(says the Kolin main)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How do you fail to mention FANG's best feature, his theme.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
between FANG and Juri, it's pretty clear who the superior purple colored evil minion is

it's FANG, Juri sucks, bring FANG back. He knew what he was about and did everything he was supposed to, and his theme was a bop