• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, this thread hasn't seen a post in awhile. I'm a total makeup novice (but getting better!) and have a question I've seen conflicting answers to: is it typically OK to use gel eyeliner for your waterline?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Whew, this thread hasn't seen a post in awhile. I'm a total makeup novice (but getting better!) and have a question I've seen conflicting answers to: is it typically OK to use gel eyeliner for your waterline?

This isn't quite what you're asking, but typically you want to avoid using eyeliner on your waterline. It can clog :(. I know they have "safe" ones, and I'm not a doctor, but it still seems kinda risky.

Also, black/dark colors is usually never a good idea, just because it makes your eyes look smaller, heh. If you're trying to highlight, I would get as close to the waterline as possible but not on it.

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon

It's better to use pencil on your waterline if you really wanna color it in, in my experience. You may need something waterproof so it doesn't smudge away later on. I'm pretty sure there are pencils specifically for the waterline.

Also, black/dark colors is usually never a good idea, just because it makes your eyes look smaller, heh. If you're trying to highlight, I would get as close to the waterline as possible but not on it.
Getting close to the waterline but not quite on it is great advice. If you already have large eyes, though, you could get away with using black (or any other color) directly on it for a more striking effect.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've never been able to get liner to stay on my waterline and I don't understand how other people manage it either - it just rubs off or on somewhere else.

Black or darker colors works for me but I generally only line the top lid - lining the bottom also definitely makes my eyes look too small.

Does anyone use fiber mascara? I tried one and it is amazing. An old roommate brought it back for me ages ago from Japan and I just busted it out recently.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do you know that feeling when you accidentally find out a great method that improves your looks? This happened with my hair after taking a shower. Normally I brush my hair when it's still wet. I waited once for about an hour and my hair looks and feels different when brushing! When I brush my kinda dry hair it has more volume and looks more straight :o It's also easier to brush my hair with less pain. This is probably me being a total noob for finding something out so late. Do you guys brush your hair when it's still wet or wait until it becomes dry?

Some eyeshadow tutorials on youtube might help in terms of application; I haven't seen too many but they all seem pretty comparable to me.

Using some sort of primer is also supposed to both make eyeshadow more vibrant and also last longer. I use the one from urban decay, but I think Too Faced is supposed to have a decent one and I've heard that the elf one is basically a dupe for the UD.

Finally, some eyeshadows just suck...cheaper ones tend to have less payoff. You can try playing with applying it wet or with your finger vs a brush.

RpgN - I'm not too good with fancy eyeshadows. I'd recommend youtube beauty bloggers for that, like what meow said. I do basic two color blends with golds and browns, as I have black eyes and those colors work well on my skin to give me a neutral look.

Re: the masks - yeah ionno if masks do THAT much TBH. I notice a bigger effect with hair masques. But, it's more of a psychological thing I think, to pamper. I enjoy the facial mask, the long warm bath with my Kindle, the scent diffusers... just being warm and cozy and feeling nice. It's very relaxing.

If you pay close attention to make up video tutorials, matte light eyeshadows are barely visible even in the most expensive palettes. With the shimmery ones you will see more color (I prefer shimmery eyeshadows, even though they aren't the most ''in'' style). But you can also use a eye primer/white concealer (good for pastels and neons)/wet brush (in toner or water) to obtain more color.

About the color combinations there isn't much of a rule, but you can try certain combos that would make sense in other stuff, like gold and brown, black and blue, pink and brown, copper and green...

I know this reply is way overdue, but thank you for the advice. I'll look into it.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Canadians: Where is the best place to get your skin tone checked, and recommendations? I'm guessing it's either SDM or Sephora? I've never put on make-up before (just regular skin care stuff) but I'm thinking about starting to use concealer or something. I'm a guy, and don't want it to be too obvious, but I don't know which establishment would help me accomplish that.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Canadians: Where is the best place to get your skin tone checked, and recommendations? I'm guessing it's either SDM or Sephora? I've never put on make-up before (just regular skin care stuff) but I'm thinking about starting to use concealer or something. I'm a guy, and don't want it to be too obvious, but I don't know which establishment would help me accomplish that.
Not Canadian, but as a guy I've had my skin matched at the average cosmetic stand within a store - it's all fairly simple, they've been happy to help and explain differences. Can also be worth asking for a sample so you can try it in other light - shop lights can be weird and not always exact matches. Tinted moisturiser can be a good one if you're not wanting to be too obvious.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not Canadian, but as a guy I've had my skin matched at the average cosmetic stand within a store - it's all fairly simple, they've been happy to help and explain differences. Can also be worth asking for a sample so you can try it in other light - shop lights can be weird and not always exact matches. Tinted moisturiser can be a good one if you're not wanting to be too obvious.
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better about going in to get matched. I ordered some Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery BB, which should help even out my tone (which doesn't need too much assistance) - my main problem is really my acne/razor burn, which doesn't seem to go away no matter what products I use.

Oct 27, 2017
Reviving an ancient thread to talk about nail art! After finally managing to stop biting my nails, I've been pretty amazed by the options for beautifying them. Also, I find watching youtube videos of people painting nails is really hypnotic and satisfying.

Lately I've been trying nail stamping and reverse stamping (making your own decals by filling a stamped design's line art with other colours, and then applying that to the nail). It is fun but I'm still getting the hang of it, most specifically getting clear jelly stampers to pick up well. If anyone has tips for that that don't involve destroying the jelly, I would love to hear it. So far the 'wash with warm water and some dish soap' advice is all I've tried.

Thinking about what to do each week is enjoyable and scratches my crafting itch. I tend to like more low-key, work-appropriate stuff. Even with that constraint, there is a lot of room to be creative.

Also, since I started playing dmc 5 I've been wanting to get a closer look at Nico's manicure. It was really cute from what I saw in the opening credit part.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
That plaid is beautiful!! I need a spring pattern look soon!

I've been relying on nail salon recently, but I might switch to nail stamping and doing my own nails in the summer.

D3t-Fw-HCW0-AAUBzv-jpg-large.jpg

D3t-Fw-HCW0-AAUBzv-jpg-large.jpg

Nothing fancy rn but you can see I have the tips as triangles fingers on each hand.

Oct 27, 2017
That plaid is beautiful!! I need a spring pattern look soon!

I've been relying on nail salon recently, but I might switch to nail stamping and doing my own nails in the summer.

Nothing fancy rn but you can see I have the tips as triangles fingers on each hand.

Ooh, very nice - I like how it's got a bit of a twist but it's simple and subtle.

I found another video with tons of ideas, and just based on colour choice, could be either muted or bold. I have some striping tape somewhere - the video shows many neat effects using it without much fuss. Maybe I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Bought two new lipsticks recently, been loving them being an addition to my collection of lipsticks: MAC A Little Tamed & MAC Mehr!
I was also looking for a new liquid pencil eyeliner to replace my old one who was running dry. I tried MAC Brushblack Brushstroke Liner, and ended up being quite disappointed at it getting smudgy in less than an hour or two. And it didn't look black enough for my taste. I ended up buying NARS Carpates Eyeliner Studio Black, which is absolutely everything I needed: stays in place for hours, and is super black!

Next step for me is probably trying mat liquid lipsticks. A friend of mine totally recommended me Kat Von D's, so I might just start there soon!

Oct 27, 2017
I was on a trip recently and had the chance to try some Korean makeup out in Vancouver. I've always been curious but not enough to buy online without checking colour matches! I bought a Missha x Frida Kahlo tensionpact perfect cover foundation, initially because I love the compact cover. The makeup itself turned out to be awesome too. Patting a little bit on to even out my skin tone and give it a bit of a glow is how I've been using it. It has SPF 37, and best of all, my skin is happy with it. Foundation often makes my combination skin feel kind of gross, so I've avoided it in general. Now, I'm interested to try some more Korean brands to see if they also get along with my skin, especially since they often incorporate sun protection and skin care ingredients.

Next step for me is probably trying mat liquid lipsticks. A friend of mine totally recommended me Kat Von D's, so I might just start there soon!

I really enjoy the matte look, but gravitate towards more moisturizing gloss/cream formulas because my lips are weird and dry lol. If you find anything particularly nice, I'd love to know. Mehr is a really pretty colour!

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any lipsticks in my makeup collection. So I've been wondering what brands are good? There are fashion gurus I watch on YouTube talking about different lip colors for different seasons and that's just confusing me as to what to get. So what do y'all recommend?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
So I've been having a new huge makeup need, and it's the Sailor Moon x ColourPop collection. I wanted to buy, as it got released today, but sadly it's already out of stock, so here's my clown ass desperately waiting for a restock now. I really really want the palette and the two blotted lips, I'm still considering if I wanna add the blushes on top of it, maybe the coral one, I don't know I'll see once it gets restocked. But yeah, most and foremost, I want that palette and those two blotted lips. It's just right up my alley, truly.

AK5IjpC.jpg

AIjzWDm.jpg

I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan, and I defo could see myself using this palette, hence why I want it so much!
Also the reviews have made me even more interested into it. I don't know ColourPop as a brand, but I guess now it's on my map!

So yeah, now I guess I just wait!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan, and I defo could see myself using this palette, hence why I want it so much!
Also the reviews have made me even more interested into it. I don't know ColourPop as a brand, but I guess now it's on my map!

I have a colorpop palette from a couple years ago, and I remember being impressed about the amount of pigment and quality for the price.

Those lip colors are great. I kind of want both of them. The blush package is incredible.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I love colourpop eye shadows - I have three palettes, though they're my second favorite. Still get a lot of use. These are too bright for me but they are lovely.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
So I went to Kiko in order to replace my old mascara that was getting dry and... they were having a sale?
I kinda got my revenge on missing out on that Sailor Moon x ColourPop palette, kinda (not really I'll still be waiting for it!):

btX9i1b.jpg

Here's the link to the Palette and link to the Liquid Matte Lip Colour (I got the La Vie En Rose & Traces of Love ones) if anybody's interested!

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So I took the plunge and did a deep dive on my makeup, throwing out absolutely everything that was expired. I had stuff that I have had for a verrrrrry long time. I had some Lime Crime velveltines that I wanted to keep, did a test swatch and had a minor reaction to the skin. Into the bin they went!!!

Now my makeup collection is very, very small. My hope is that by keeping it so small, I'll actually use what I have.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
So I took the plunge and did a deep dive on my makeup, throwing out absolutely everything that was expired. I had stuff that I have had for a verrrrrry long time. I had some Lime Crime velveltines that I wanted to keep, did a test swatch and had a minor reaction to the skin. Into the bin they went!!!

Now my makeup collection is very, very small. My hope is that by keeping it so small, I'll actually use what I have.
I didn't even know makeup could expire.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

Not to ruin anyones day or anything lol. I doubt I'll stick super strictly with these, since I'm poor AF. But I had stuff that was YEARS out of date.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was some definition for the difference between "GLOW" and "SHIMMER"

was just trying to find a face lotion so I don't look dull in front of my students.

Also, are there lip products better than chapstick and beewax stuff for lips, wanted a least a tiny bit of color and shine...