• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Ambient80

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that makeup marketed towards men is just silly. Same with "dude wipes" and the rest of the products that are meant to not harm your sense of masculinity.

I started wearing a little bit of BB cream occasionally to help conceal some acne. It's super easy to blend; I think that's a good place to start OP. The brand La Roche Posay is amazing, provided you have light skin (there's only two shades, fair/light and light/medium). You can literally apply it with your fingers. I've hung out with close friends for several hours before asking if they could tell I was wearing makeup and they said no and I had no idea what I was doing the first time I put it on.

Yeah, I may look into that. I dunno, I'll just feel kinda weird going to like Sephora and asking for them to find the right shade for me? Hahah, I know that sounds very "don't harm my masculinity!!", but it's still true that it would be awkward. So as a starter thing, a foundation and/or BB cream? Or maybe a tinted moisturizer? I don't even know where I would begin lol.

I think men wearing makeup is a lot more common than a lot of people think.
Agreed. Like every exec here (male and female) wears some sort of makeup already. Most of the guys say that at *least* use a bit of powder to reduce shine on their faces, and most say they use some sort of foundation or something to even out skin tone. An article I read said it's roughly a $1.5B industry already, so it's growing. Of course, it's nothing compared to the like $50B+ women's makeup industry.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
DrPepperTen-300x175.jpg

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm a 30 year old guy and I don't wear "makeup for men", I just wear makeup. I have some Covergirl BB Cream etc. One of the medications I'm on gives me bad acne breakouts from time to time so the makeup helps me feel more confident going out in public.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd be lieing if I didn't say I didn't like eyeliner doing theatre. I might actually mess a little once i move out, I kinda like fucking with my a face a bit once in awhile.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
ever heard of anti-shine powder and matte lol?

There's truth to this, but lets not forget that some men wear make up because they enjoy how it makes them look. I certainly benefit from a more overall tone to my face rather than white with a bit of red.

Any products you recommend for anti shine and to cover blemishes (acne scars still healing mostly) that aren't obvious?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer it go the other way and that women aim for a more natural look.

Do you mean actually bare face or "natural look" which usually involves at least 17 products and twenty minutes to apply. A lot of guys have trouble telling the difference, even when the "natural look" has like winged eyeliner.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what I look like, ever really, so no. The whole concept is off-putting to me

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The responses here make me so sad.

I highly recommend everyone caring about their appearance, makeup or otherwise! I don't really fit the question, but I recommend everyone using foundation and concealer at the very least.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm neither here nor there on it, but I personally think more effort should be put into getting men into skincare regimens. As a man, we're way behind on something that should be essential.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I won't knock it, but make-up sounds like a ton of work and skill to apply that I just don't care to learn.

Thankfully my skin is pretty decent outside of being a little oily, so I just use a good ceramide facewash and moisturize with bee cum or whatever.

And yeah, I really wish women would back off just a half-step when it comes to makeup. Lots of big, bold colors rarely don't make you look like an awkward mix of Disney villainess/rodeo clown. Less is more.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use/have used a shit ton of hair products; gels, spray, pomades, waxes. But actual make-up? Nope. Nothing covers my face other than my face and whatever I ate earlier in the day that I haven't noticed is still on my face. I want the world to see my battlescars and also my acne.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any products you recommend for anti shine and to cover blemishes (acne scars still healing mostly) that aren't obvious?

For anti shine you can get bareminerals, just as long as you get your skin tone (i always go a little lighter)

For concealer, go NARs creamy concealer or tarte shape tape.

Just remember that you want to

1. exfoliate
2. moisturize
3. apply concealer
4. apply make up
5. anti shine
6. light amount of bronzer if you want to re-add some color to your face

You can get invisible anti shine or a white anti shine, but the white will literally take color out.

Dr. Alu

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, I have skin issues and the extremely dark eye circles. So i cover those up to look normal and not like a zombie.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
Yeah no thanks. I have enough things to piss away my time and money on already. Besides I am most definitely not a fan of the "dude in makeup" look. Nothing against those who do - you do you and all that shit - but it's not my thing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
AMAB so skirting the lines of this colouring book but if you're not wearing nail polish in the fab and awesome colours it's in you fucking up. The gradient ones that change on the angle and light are just so awesome - current one moves from a hot reddish pink to gold glitter with all the peach hues in-between. Heaven.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a no for me dawg. I dislike makeup on women as a whole anyway, eyeliner being the only exception. Unless a man wants to look like a Disney evil character I'd avoid it. Concealer gives a texture, that aint concealing jack

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No. Don't really need it. People keep thinking I'm on my late teens even though I'm well into my 20s.

I hope increased usage doesn't result in society expecting people to wear it like women are.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I can just about be bothered to brush my hair, so no.

Are you a queer eye episode waiting to happen?

I'd be down to try basic makeup but my budget can't afford it right now. Thankfully I have pretty consistent skin tone, but I'd love to lessen my dark circles with some eye make up.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I put concealer on sometimes to hide a scar I have from recently getting excess skin removed from my nose, but otherwise no not when in boymode. But I'm also not really a man, more of a "I don't know what I currently am and am actively working to find out" living in a male body.

I do agree that women should have less pressure to wear makeup though, probably more than the other way around (though to be clear men should be able to wear makeup if they want to), even though that's kind of a straight guy opinion or whatever. I've tried it in girl mode and I don't really like it much, though I also have good skin for the most part. I also still do it when it girlmode sometimes anyways because it makes me feel more like a girl and it does help in some regards, but IMO it's not really worth the effort, at least for me. If I transition I'll probably still spend the majority of my time makeupless.

Last edited:

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I usually get some after waxing my eyebrows to hide the redness.

and also use around my eyes countering my dark circles.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
I just use a BB Cream everyday (tried several brands and the Maybelline is my favorite one). It helps to hide some spots.

I also use a chapstick during winter so my lips don't get all dried up and cracked.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I don't do make up, but I did get pushed into a morning and night skincare routine from the gf. Now it's one of my favorite things to look forward too. I don't end up picking up the skincare marketed for men though, just what ever quality ones are on sale atm.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those that feels like too late to learn how kind of thing, I wouldn't mind putting on some make up but at this point everyone around me would probably notice and find it "weird".

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Lotta fragile sounding dudes in here

Yeah, I wear various makeup products. Most regularly, concealer. No sense in doing the skincare equivalent of rolling out of bed without combing my hair.

When I'm doing a fem look, then I go for eye shadow, liner, and a lipstick. But I always do concealer, masc or fem.