• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one is removed from film history?

• Pitt

Votes: 153 8.1%
  • Cruise

Votes: 431 22.9%
  • Bale

Votes: 220 11.7%
  • Crowe

Votes: 1,078 57.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are the definition of A-List actors. No way could I ever. Cruise is a complete weirdo with his Scientology nonsense, but it doesn't hurt him on screen in my book.

Christian Bale is a great "method actor" with some seriously good roles/moves. I mean, c'mon, the dude was The Dark Knight AND The Machinist AND Vice. He's easily the most flexible actor on this list.

Russel Crowe? He's in some good stuff, but I never thought of him in the same tier as the other guys. Gladiator was dope, but I can't name many of his other movies. I liked A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander, The Insider, and LA Confidential. But he was also in a lot of turds like Robinhood and The Mummy, so meh. Most of other films are kind whatever to me, like Les Miserables.

I saw a trailer for his new movie "Unhinged" and it looks TERRIBLE lol. Also, why is it playing in theaters during COVID-19 lockdown? Put it on Netflix, man.

Also, he's totally replaceable by Gerard Butler :

h616D16DD

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cruise is a massive wanker... but I'd still pick Crowe.

Bale put in too much work for certain roles to be dismissed into the ether.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Color of Money
Rain Man
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Jerry McGuire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
Last Samurai
Collateral
Edge of Tomorrow

None of them? I know it's a personal taste thing but wouldn't call these movies fluff
I said mainly. And I love a bunch of those films but my personal taste leans to the more serious stuff.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Color of Money
Rain Man
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Jerry McGuire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
Last Samurai
Collateral
Edge of Tomorrow

None of them? I know it's a personal taste thing but wouldn't call these movies fluff

This.. plus you missed his best performance.. Magnolia.

Cruise and Pitt's filmographies are a huge step above the other two

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
The only movie that I really enjoyed Crowe in was Gladiator. He's been in a few others but I think he is replaceable.

Meanwhile, Cruise missile has probably 20 movies that I love. Bale has probably close to a dozen. Pitt probably has the same number as Bale, if not more.

Crowe was a very, very easy answer for me.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Crowe, easily. I'd miss Gladiator, Nice Guys, and Master & Commander but that's about it I think.

Pitt and Bale are two of my favorite actors and they have like a dozen movies each that I really like or love.

Then with Cruise you have all of Mission Impossible, Edge of Tomorrow, Top Gun, Minority Report, and Collateral. All of which are great (except for MI 2 and parts of 3).

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
The way I look at it, what movie would I rather disappear Interview with a vampire or 310 to Yuma...

As much as I love a good western, and 310 is a fantastic film which means Bale or Crowe need to go... Bale is the one with a filmography that I just don't really care that much for. I think Christian Bale has perhaps more recently been in more films that I enjoy upon a single viewing, but Crowe has more films I'd be willing to watch over and over. Like if Gladiator, A beautiful Mind and The Insider were on TV at the same time as American Hustle, The Fighter and American Psycho, i'd choose Crowe's films.

I think perhaps the only Bale film i'd miss really is The Prestige.

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i like russell crowe but he's the obvious choice

i can easily see his roles as someone else and it doesn't bother me

to be fair i'm not big on brad pitt either....or tom cruise

for me only bale is basically unimpeachable here due to his work in the 2000s

Last edited:

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People saying Pitt so casually, I just can't. Is it just because you hate him?

Anyways, as much as I love some of his performances, It's Crowe (The Insider, Gladiator, Nice Guys, A Beautiful Mind, LA Confidential, Master and Commander)....then again, as I list them out, maybe it's not that easy. Dude has a hell of a resume.

On second thought, it might be Bale.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
A world without Russell Crowe is a world without Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, and that is not a world I want to live in. I don't know how any of you could vote for him.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cruise because I think pretty much all of his movies could have been made with a different actor and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I also don't really care if he does his own stunts. Also Scientology is evil.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but who voted for Bale? The man is a brilliant actor who's created some of the most powerful performances in history. Watch 'The Machinist' or 'Rescue Dawn.' Few actors would have the ability or determination to contort his body the way he has.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Cruise because I think pretty much all of his movies could have been made with a different actor and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I also don't really care if he does his own stunts. Also Scientology is evil.

Cruise is one of the very few actors in Hollywood willing to do the majority of his own stunts (not just running) I can't imagine the Mission Impossible films having a lead that was as involved in many of the physical stunts like Cruise was and that is a big part of what makes those films exciting to watch. One of my biggest pet peeves in television and film are "clever edits" where they cover the actors faces during fights or vehicular stunts, and action films starring Cruise more often than not keep Cruises face in plain sight during the big action scenes.

So long story short, I'd disagree with you saying he's the one actor on this list that could be made with a different actor and not make a difference. I think in that regard, both Cruise AND Bale fall into that category in the way they physically embody their roles.

As for your scientology comment, I can't dismiss that.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Crowe Definitely.....Gladiator could have been done by the Rock and still felt the deep impact. Everything else was ok to meh...

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry but who voted for Bale? The man is a brilliant actor who's created some of the most powerful performances in history. Watch 'The Machinist' or 'Rescue Dawn.'
I don't honestly think he is the actor Crowe is, hasn't really had the roles Pitt or Cruise has, so I am personally leaning toward him.

Honestly though, this threads seems more like, Resetera: which era of films did you grow up in?

Because people saying Crowe's portfolio is weak, I have to imagine weren't around for The Insider, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander, The Quick and the Dead, Romper Stomper, and LA Confidential. Guy has presence and range no one else on that list has IMO. But for the most part, aside from Nice Guys, Noah, and that shitty Robin Hood movie, guy basically got ghosted out of major roles around 2007. So I bet a lot of people think of him as the Gladiator and Nice Guys actor, and that's it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cruise is one of the very few actors in Hollywood willing to do the majority of his own stunts (not just running) I can't imagine the Mission Impossible films having a lead that was as involved in many of the physical stunts like Cruise was and that is a big part of what makes those films exciting to watch. One of my biggest pet peeves in television and film are "clever edits" where they cover the actors faces during fights or vehicular stunts, and action films starring Cruise more often than not keep Cruises face in plain sight during the big action scenes.

So long story short, I'd disagree with you saying he's the one actor on this list that could be made with a different actor and not make a difference. I think in that regard, both Cruise AND Bale fall into that category in the way they physically embody their roles.

As for your scientology comment, I can't dismiss that.

Yeah like I said I don't care if they had to do some edits for the stunts. Lots of excellent action flicks with stunt actors in them, many better than cruise has in his filmography. He's replaceable imo but agree to disagree. I guess I'd say crowe comes in 2nd for the same reason, but I appreciate his acting chops more than cruise, but to each their own.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I voted Crowe, but as I'm looking at his filmography, maybe it should have been Bale...

Now here me out... Bale has the same problem for me as DiCaprio wherein he's never the best and/or most memorable part of his movie. I will give Bale The Machinist and American Psycho, but lets look at the rest:
Batman trilogy; great Wayne, forgettable Batman. Never the character you remember from the films. Plus Bat Voice
Vice, American Hustle, The Big Short; stunt performances IMO. This was an exercise in his ability to rapidly lose or gain weight (gain in these cases). and while his Vice performance was really good, it kinda reminds me of Jamie Foxx's Ray performance where it was a great impression, but never really shined. His role in American Hustle is overrated.
The Fighter; ^^^see above
The Prestige, 7:10 to Yuma; his co-stars out shown him (but this may be personal preference)

I get how people can think that he's the strongest actor of the four, but personally I don't see it. Crowe's the better actor, Pitt has more onscreen charisma, and you can't even fuck with Cruise's filmography. I would change my answer, but the only thing I'll give Bale credit for is his versatility and his ability to rapidly change weight.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with Cruise, he's the worst actor of them, someone else would have been 'cruise' if he didn't exist.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Between Bale and Crowe for me, but Crowe stays because I can watch Gladiator and Nice Guys on repeat forever

Dec 31, 2017
Cruise and Bale cannot be removed. Too many incredible films

Pitt is also way too prominent.

Crowe for me is only interesting because of the gladiator. So him.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Cant vote cuz literally all 4 of them. Like the options were picked perfectly. Pitt, cuz fuck his little comeback tour, Cruise the gross Scientologist, known racist Crowe, and Bale probably the least-so. I still don't like him after that audio leaked of him losing it but can't talk about that w/o everyone coming to his defense on the circumstances of it a all.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Crowe has Gladiator, Master and Commander, and Cinderella Man. The others each have way more equally impressive roles.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough with Scientology, but out of all these actors, Cruise's movies would be the most different if you replaced him.

Oct 25, 2017
Cant vote cuz literally all 4 of them. Like the options were picked perfectly. Pitt, cuz fuck his little comeback tour, Cruise the gross Scientologist, known racist Crowe, and Bale probably the least-so. I still don't like him after that audio leaked of him losing it but can't talk about that w/o everyone coming to his defense on the circumstances of it a all.
Not part of the Bale defense force, but is that something to even be bothered by 10 years later?

Oct 25, 2017
Crowe, is easily. Nothing against him, he just hasn't had the career those others have had. He probably shouldn't even be in this poll, replace him with Denzel or someone to really make it a fair fight.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough with Scientology, but out of all these actors, Cruise's movies would be the most different if you replaced him.

How so? Cruise is an obvious phony and brings nothing personal to any of his roles imo. He's generic action flick guy and his filmography proves it. He's done pretty much exclusively action flick drivel and comedy cameos for 20 years running now.

Oct 25, 2017
How so? Cruise is an obvious phony and brings nothing personal to any of his roles imo. He's generic action flick guy and his filmography proves it. He's done pretty much exclusively action flick drivel and comedy cameos for 20 years running now.
What makes that "action flick drivel" (they said unironically) work is that you can clearly see him doing it which helps with the actual filming. You don't get certain sequences period without Cruise. But you clearly have a preference on types of films that are worthwhile, so no point in trying to convince you.

Also, what's generic about the last few Mission Impossibles and Edge of Tomorrow?

Oblivion was bad.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Crowe, is easily. Nothing against him, he just hasn't had the career those others have had. He probably shouldn't even be in this poll, replace him with Denzel or someone to really make it a fair fight.
How are we defining this? Box office success? Modern pop culture popularity? If so than sure, if it is strength and range of roles, Crowe is arguably better than anyone.

Cruise is basically Cruise the action guy that takes a few breaks to make some movies where Cruise plays Cruise being serious. Pitt is hard to knock because he is a pretty dedicated character actor and has a ton of charisma. Bale, honestly, a few flawed but iconic roles and a lot of stuff that seems more gimmicky than impressive. In fact he got out acted by Crowe in their movie.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like I said I don't care if they had to do some edits for the stunts. Lots of excellent action flicks with stunt actors in them, many better than cruise has in his filmography. He's replaceable imo but agree to disagree. I guess I'd say crowe comes in 2nd for the same reason, but I appreciate his acting chops more than cruise, but to each their own.

Sure any of the actors are replaceable, i totally agree with that, and ultimately, My decision came down to which movies would I miss the most irregardless of the actor in the role. IMO, it's about weighing how good would the films have been with a different actor in the role. Would Brad Pitt have made the Bourne Identity a better film had he not turned it down in favor of Spy Game? We may never know, but it's hard to argue anyone but Damon in the role, and a lot of that again has to do with the Physicality that Damon brought to the role, the same way Cruise brings a level of physicality to every action role he plays as well.

Like you said though, agree to disagree.