• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Where can you even get them? I have found no way to purchase them here in Germany (at least without waiting for 1-2 months). I'd imagine it's similar elsewhere.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
During a war we don't just say "not enough bullets" and *shrug*. We convert factories until we're making enough bullets.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People (especially North Americans) are too stupid and evidently can't be trusted to sacrifice for the greater good which is why masks need to be made mandatory for people stepping foot outside of their homes. The point is to protect the wearer from spreading it; not for the wearer to protect themselves from others.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I said Western society isn't taking it seriously... All the people that are going to parks and beaches and not respecting the social distancing rules, etc. And that's because this virus was long downplayed since the leaders don't want to "incite panic" etc. that would lead to downturn in markets.

Governments are finally wising up - but this thread is about what else they should reconsider beyond the current measures based on what some other countries are doing.

The WHO is basically a reflection of western attitudes that has led us to where we are today...
Guess you missed that WHO/Taiwan thread eh?

The OP is correct in that logically if everyone wears masks, then logically the infected would spread it less. The problem is humans are not logical and screw things up all the time, and this is why the expert medical community doesn't recommend masks foir public use. Outside of a laboratory testing which does show some results with masks, every study that has looked at the community use of masks has seen no benefit OR an actual increase in infections.

Not from the mask usage, but from humans making constant mistakes in relation to mask use. Masks must be discarded after about 20 minutes or they start to increase the chance of infection due to moisture saturation. After 20 minutes, that moisture will start escaping from the mask because its saturated. And even if you do discard it in time, improper touching and disposal also increase infection chances. The final reason and worse offender is the false sense of security and people returning to normal routines, which destroys social distancing protocols which BY FAR are the most effective method.

As for, Asian countries, if you look at the main factors for their linear increase, it was swift, strong social distancing and testing regimes. Places that actually started to reduce those strict guidlines, like Hong Kong, have now shown a spike again in cases since the Virus is still active worldwide. Mask use be damned.

Those concerns were echoed in Hong Kong, where a health expert said the territory's public health system could collapse unless the government introduced measures to keep people apart, as global infections rose to more than 470,000 and deaths passed 21,000.

Ho Pak-leung, an infectious diseases expert at Hong Kong University, told local radio that unless Hong Kong brought in a curfew or lockdown-style restrictions, there would be "serious consequences".

www.theguardian.com

Tokyo and Hong Kong brace amid fears of fresh wave of coronavirus cases

Tokyo governor warns of measures to prevent ‘explosion’ of cases as Hong Kong health expert calls for curfew to handle cases arriving from overseas

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
But one is proofed you work (isolation even if it is more intrusive) while face masks aren't. And even if they do reduce the amount of viral shedding into the air, it's still going to be on the mask - what happens when people touch them which they will because they'll be uncomfortable to wear for any amp of time? Their hands will be covered in it and it's unlikely everyone's going to wash their hands every time they touch their mask. And the masks probably aren't going to be changed enough either. That would just make it another source of the virus for a device which there is no scientific proof would actually work. N95 masks work in a clinical environment with staff that have been trained correctly in how to use PPE. That doesn't mean it's going to work for a general population who are untrained , not good at following the simpler advice that's already out there and not actually have proper masks.
Ofc there will be people touching the (makeshift) masks, just as there are people sneezing into their hands and not washing them properly. But there will be people using them properly, every bit helps.
And I didn't say no isolation I specificalky said help shorten the isolation. Point being if we are isolating we can make masks mandatory and see if the effects are there.
And again, it's not supposed to protect the wearer from other people.

They dont have enough capacity/masks. We need those in hospitals.
You can use makeshift masks and surgical masks should be mandatory mass produced anyhow.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Went to the supermarket this morning, I'd say every third person was wearing a mask of some kind. Most of them were surgical masks, very few respirators.

I had my mask on, especially with many people not understanding the concept of social distancing.

Oct 27, 2017
His policies also led to the US becoming #1 in the world in infections... so not gonna listen to him over other countries that are comparatively doing way better.
Where is the actual proof homemade masks are what contributed to flattening the curve? It's social distancing. If anything, homemade masks will embolden people to go out when they shouldn't, thinking they're safer than they are and less capable of spreading the virus than they are

The OP is correct in that logically if everyone wears masks, then logically the infected would spread it less. The problem is humans are not logical and screw things up all the time, and this is why the expert medical community doesn't recommend masks foir public use. Outside of a laboratory testing which does show some results with masks, every study that has looked at the community use of masks has seen no benefit OR an actual increase in infections.

Not from the mask usage, but from humans making constant mistakes in relation to mask use. Masks must be discarded after about 20 minutes or they start to increase the chance of infection due to moisture saturation. After 20 minutes, that moisture will start escaping from the mask because its saturated. And even if you do discard it in time, improper touching and disposal also increase infection chances. The final reason and worse offender is the false sense of security and people returning to normal routines, which destroys social distancing protocols which BY FAR are the most effective method.

As for, Asian countries, if you look at the main factors for their linear increase, it was swift, strong social distancing and testing regimes. Places that actually started to reduce those strict guidlines, like Hong Kong, have now shown a spike again in cases since the Virus is still active worldwide. Mask use be damned.

www.theguardian.com

Tokyo governor warns of measures to prevent ‘explosion’ of cases as Hong Kong health expert calls for curfew to handle cases arriving from overseas
This post explains it best, especially the bolded

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
You're questioning the official recommendation from WHO, not my opinion on things.
They do not recommend for the general population to wear masks.

England's Deputy Chief Medical Officer actively discourages it on the BBC.

I understand WHO position they also need to weigh up procurement, cost and panic.

However those with the virus and potential carriers to are recommended/required to wear masks, To the point that those self isolating in their own homes are encouraged to wear them if they live with others, even if not sick. So they must do something to reduce transmission.

On top of that knowing that carriers can be asymptomatic means there would be some benefit to everyone wearing masks, even if it's negligible.

I don't think we will come to agreement on this, and I'm done typing on my phone, while in isolation and stuck in my guest room.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Without sourcing the details myself, this seems like the most relevant post itt.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Homemade masks are basically useless (and some institutions even find them to increase exposure risks) and the public shouldn't be buying up N95 masks right now so no, this is a bad idea.

thewirecutter.com

People Are Sewing Face Masks for Medical Workers. Should They?

As a last-resort measure, some hospitals would consider using homemade masks for patients who don’t have COVID-19.

These studies suggest otherwise:

Professional and home-made face masks reduce exposure to respiratory infections among the general population.

PRINCIPAL FINDINGS:
All types of masks reduced aerosol exposure, relatively stable over time, unaffected by duration of wear or type of activity, but with a high degree of individual variation. Personal respirators were more efficient than surgical masks, which were more efficient than home-made masks.

Testing the efficacy of homemade masks: would they protect in an influenza pandemic?

RESULTS:
The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask.

Both conclude that homemade masks are not as good as surgical masks but are better than nothing.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, it's simply too late to pursue such a policy. If manufacturers had built a larger stockpile and increased supply enough for proper masks a recommendation to wear masks may have made sense, but they didn't. If the public was trained in how to use these masks properly before the crisis then their negative side effects might have been lessened, but that didn't happen. There's a world where that kind of recommendation might have made sense but it isn't ours

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Wearing a mask should be mandatory...if everyone could buy/find a mask to wear.
*If everyone could have high quality enough masks (which are needed for medical staff) to change them every 20 mins as well as correct training on how to use them and correctly wash their hands every time they touch them

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Important to note is that these don't conflict with the reasoning behind why it's not advised for general populations to adopt masks. It's due to behavioral issues of the people wearing them and improper use not the efficacy of the masks themselves when used properly. I was honestly surprised by how well makeshift masks held up on a testing front though.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Don't go out and you don't need to require this.

The problem is that people are still going out and gathering.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A country voting for Republicans is going to get 100x as many people killed as not wearing masks will.

FWIW I have been wearing a (old expired) mask when I go out during pandemic. Nitrile gloves at the store too.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
There is no drawback to wearing a mask (even a self-made one, or any kind of face covering) IF people continue to wash their hands and practice social distancing. It's hard to say if making masks mandatory would help more than it would hurt.

But I think telling people that they can help stop the spread by wearing a mask - and making absolutely clear that it's not to protect themselves and that they should continue washing their hands - should be encouraged.

And to anyone still doubting this point: Yes, even a self-made mask will catch a decent amount of droplets when you cough or sneeze. The important factor is that the mask is close to the source of the droplets; when someone else coughs, their droplets will be small and dispersed enough to penetrate your mask. That's why it won't protect you from others, but it will protect others from you.

At least that's my understanding of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The problem is that people are still going out and gathering.
I have an old (75+) lady as a neighbour who's as kind and sweet as you could hope for but she just will not stay in the house. She's had her brother-in-law (similar age) round multiple times and slips out to go to the supermarket for a paper every day. It's frustrating. I've tried buying it for her but she just lists another item she 'needed' at that point in time and had to get.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Important to note is that these don't conflict with the reasoning behind why it's not advised for general populations to adopt masks. It's due to behavioral issues of the people wearing them and improper use not the efficacy of the masks themselves when used properly.

Right but BAD asserted that the masks are useless, which they aren't. And I think it goes without saying that making mask use mandatory needs to be paired with extensive communication to the public on what proper mask use looks like. In the same way that we all recently learned how to effectively wash our hands, we will all learn how to effectively use a mask.

Also, your link again makes the mistake of focusing on how masks are meant to protect the wearer. As the OP noted, they are about reducing viral shedding, especially from asymptomatic carriers.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Homemade masks are easy to make and don't take anything away from medical staff.
Homemade masks can't protect us like surgical masks can, but that is not the point.
If you cough while wearing a mask, it is pretty fucking obvious that some of it will hit the mask. That means there are fewer virus microbes to infect other people.
Wearing ANYTHING over your face helps to protect your fellow human beings.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Right but BAD asserted that the masks are useless, which they aren't. And I think it goes without saying that making mask use mandatory needs to be paired with extensive communication to the public on what proper mask use looks like. In the same way that we all recently learned how to effectively wash our hands, we will all learn how to effectively use a mask.

Also, your link again makes the mistake of focusing on how masks are meant to protect the wearer. As the OP noted, they are about reducing viral shedding, especially from asymptomatic carriers.
Bewildering, then, that the WHO and Medical Officers around the world are making this simple mistake made clear in the OP. We should forward them the thread.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Yup

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Never going to happen in the US unless things get really, really bad. So bad that a mask will be the least of your worries.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, I've been out and about a bit (walks, grocery store) and have not seen a single person wearing a scarf or homemade mask. Not saying that they shouldn't be, but it's interesting that nobody is following this part.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is no drawback to wearing a mask (even a self-made one, or any kind of face covering) IF people continue to wash their hands and practice social distancing. It's hard to say if making masks mandatory would help more than it would hurt.

But I think telling people that they can help stop the spread by wearing a mask - and making absolutely clear that it's not to protect themselves and that they should continue washing their hands - should be encouraged.

And to anyone still doubting this point: Yes, even a self-made mask will catch a decent amount of droplets when you cough or sneeze. The important factor is that the mask is close to the source of the droplets; when someone else coughs, their droplets will be small and dispersed enough to penetrate your mask. That's why it won't protect you from others, but it will protect others from you.

At least that's my understanding of it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That's the thing. The current mentality is to ensure you don't get infected. Not accepting that you already are.

It's a funny thing to think about. A pill potentially hard to swallow for those who think they are ahead of the curve.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Bewildering, then, that the WHO and Medical Officers around the world are making this simple mistake made clear in the OP. We should forward them the thread.

I do think that the WHO is making a mistake by focusing on masks protecting the wearer, instead of the other way around. My assumptions for why they are discouraging mask use amongst the general public is they are worried about potential shortages for medical workers (which is why homemade masks should be recommended as an alternative) and because that guideline was established before it was realized how widespread asymptomatic spread was going to be.

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
Do people not understand that a majority of the people infected ARE NOT SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF BEING INFECTED.

Why are some of you so apprehensive on keeping the people around you safe?

maks

Oct 27, 2017

This too
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses: systematic review

Objective To systematically review evidence for the effectiveness of physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses.Data extraction Search strategy of the Cochrane Library, Medline, OldMedline, Embase, and CINAHL, without ...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I do think that the WHO is making a mistake by focusing on masks protecting the wearer, instead of the other way around. My assumptions for why they are discouraging mask use amongst the general public is they are worried about potential shortages for medical workers (which is why homemade masks should be recommended as an alternative) and because that guideline was established before it was realized how widespread asymptomatic spread was going to be.
So fundamentally you think the advice should be that people are heavily steered from buying medical masks but pushed toward using homemade ones? Just to understand the position correctly. Wouldn't that compound the concern of people adversely putting themselves at more risk that Jenny Harries was speaking of? Understanding that if the concern is mask wearers making themselves more susceptible to the virus and the suggestion being everyone should wear masks that resulting in everyone being at more risk.

You make the distinction between wearer and non-wearer but the conversation is everyone wearing one and the concern improper use of one making you more susceptible.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Also Fauci is super honest in this regard. He agrees that the masks would help but his message is to prioritize the professionals first:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I have an old (75+) lady as a neighbour who's as kind and sweet as you could hope for but she just will not stay in the house. She's had her brother-in-law (similar age) round multiple times and slips out to go to the supermarket for a paper every day. It's frustrating. I've tried buying it for her but she just lists another item she 'needed' at that point in time and had to get.

My future mother in law is like that. She's in her 70s, is diabetic, has had both cancer and a heart attack insists on going to the grocery store almost every day. It's driving my fiancee nuts because her mom just won't fucking listen.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
How do we know that? If they're not symptomatic I would assume they're not being tested.
From mass tests done for instance when Japan extracted citizens from Wuhan after the outbreak. Estimates from China are 30% which mirror the tests the Japanese performed on their citizens:
www.dw.com

A third of coronavirus cases asymptomatic – DW – 03/24/2020

In South Korea, nationwide testing, comprehensive isolation of Covid-19 patients and strict rules on social interaction have shown results. The measures have proved effective in slowing the spread of the coronavirus.
Not a majority but it is a major phenomenon. And that is what is not recognized at WHO level, they estimate 1-3%. In such a case mandatory mask use may not be a priority. With 30% it's a different thing altogether. Only time will tell who is right but I wouldn't take chances. (Makeshift) masks don't hurt nobody.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019

Studies have recommended community mask use.
5. Conclusion
This review constitutes a contribution to pandemic influenza research, presenting the first systematic review and meta-analysis to quantify the effectiveness of PPMs in preventing pandemic influenza transmission. While data were not available on the effectiveness of respiratory etiquette, hand hygiene was found to be significantly effective in preventing infection. Facemask use demonstrated mixed results, but a randomized control trial suggests that it is effective. Future studies are needed to evaluate the relative impact of different routes of influenza transmission, and how this may shift between seasonal and pandemic settings. Despite persisting knowledge gaps in relative effectiveness between interventions and across population groups, results suggest that campaigns to increase the frequency of hand hygiene, alongside use of facemasks in situations with a high risk of exposure, are likely to contribute to preventing pandemic influenza infection.
Given the questionable effectiveness of respiratory etiquette, mask use and hand hygiene should form the foundation of protective behavior. As compliance with good hand hygiene practices may be higher than that for facemasks, which have been poorly accepted in the past (MacIntyre et al., 2009b, Tooher et al., 2013), an optimal intervention strategy may combine broad recommendations for frequent hand hygiene, combined with targeted facemask use among high-risk populations (healthcare workers, schools-aged children, the elderly). Risk communication strategies should clarify locations and situations where viral contact is likely, emphasizing the value of engaging in protective behaviours during and immediately following exposure to these environments.
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Effectiveness of personal protective measures in reducing pandemic influenza transmission: A systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed

The goal of this review was to examine the effectiveness of personal protective measures in preventing pandemic influenza transmission in human populations. We collected primary studies from Medline, Embase, PubMed, Cochrane Library, CINAHL and grey literature. Where appropriate, random effects...