• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Unless you are displaying flu syntoms, and if that's the case why aren't you staying at home, you should not be wearing a mask. A mask will prevent you from touching your face but it will also grant you a false sense of security. That's it. Right now masks are scarce and should be reserved for the ones that truly need them: medical staff and pacients.

this. If people wanna make their own masks go for it but please do not go buying masks to protect yourself if you aren't an at-risk person.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Probably won't happen in the US. The lead Doctor, Dr. Fauci, told everyone it doesn't help.

"Theres no reason to be walking around with a mask... While masks prevent some droplets they do not provide the level of protection people think they do."

www.cbsnews.com

March 2020: Dr. Anthony Fauci talks with Dr Jon LaPook about COVID-19

In March, Fauci told 60 Minutes that masks should largely be reserved for healthcare providers. In April, the recommendations were broadened to include simple masks for the general public.

Not saying you are wrong. Just providing context as to why stuff like this doesn't catch on.
His policies also led to the US becoming #1 in the world in infections... so not gonna listen to him over other countries that are comparatively doing way better.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
His policies also led to the US becoming #1 in the world in infections... so not gonna listen to him over other countries that are comparatively doing way better.
Do you have something to attribute the use of makeshift masks and bandanas to flattening the curve? I've been looking.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...6736(20)30551-1/fulltext#.XoCx1cGa7kI.twitter

That looks into why countries that are flattening the curve might have been successful in doing so. Information about the effectiveness of makeshift masks seems scarce but concerns around people having a false sense of security and being more lax in social distancing seem to have grounding. We're not talking universal use of N95 masks and makeshift masks from clothing can be poor when they're not sealed and reused. Is there anything substantive around suggesting universal use of them by all would have a positive impact?

I posted that on the last page in response to someone else as I keep seeing people allude to the fact that makeshift masks and the flattening of the curve are connected. The WHO advice is the same as that which you're suggesting has led to an increase in infections..
If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
www.who.int

When and how to use masks

WHO's guidance and advice on the use of masks to protect against and limit the spread of COVID-19.
..plus that's talking about proper masks, not makeshift ones from items of clothing that don't form a seal and are likely to be reused. What areas are actually promoting the use of makeshift masks as policy for general citizens?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't happen in the US. The lead Doctor, Dr. Fauci, told everyone it doesn't help.

"Theres no reason to be walking around with a mask... While masks prevent some droplets they do not provide the level of protection people think they do."

www.cbsnews.com

March 2020: Dr. Anthony Fauci talks with Dr Jon LaPook about COVID-19

In March, Fauci told 60 Minutes that masks should largely be reserved for healthcare providers. In April, the recommendations were broadened to include simple masks for the general public.

Not saying you are wrong. Just providing context as to why stuff like this doesn't catch on.

He is though, medical experts are right. Clinical studies have shown they do not help in public, in controlled environments there is some protection, but only when masks are replaced often. Distance + washing your hands are vital, mask is not.

Infection took place way before any policy was enacted. Also Trump watered down how serious the virus is, and failed to act government wide emrgency.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Do you have something to attribute the use of makeshift masks and bandanas to flattening the curve? I've been looking.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...6736(20)30551-1/fulltext#.XoCx1cGa7kI.twitter

That looks into why countries that are flattening the curve might have been successful in doing so. Information about the effectiveness of makeshift masks seems scarce but concerns around people having a false sense of security and being more lax in social distancing seem to have more grounding than being bullshit. We're not talking universal use of N95 masks and makeshift masks from clothing can be poor when they're not sealed and reused. Is there anything substantive around suggesting universal use of them by all would have a positive impact?

I posted it on the last page in response to someone else as I keep seeing people allude to the fact that makeshift masks and the flattening of the curve are connected. The WHO advice is the same as that which you're suggesting has led to an increase in infections:

www.who.int

When and how to use masks

WHO's guidance and advice on the use of masks to protect against and limit the spread of COVID-19.
Plus that's talking about proper masks, not makeshift ones from items of clothing that don't form a seal and are likely to be reused.
There are a ton of articles posted in this thread already on this topic. But countries doing well on this matter are typically in East Asia (where people have been almost wearing masks 100% of the time), and now there's evidence Eastern Europe is catching on...

again, you people aren't reading the thread. Wearing masks is about preventing people Who are infected from infecting others. Asymptotic people who have the virus can still spread it just by talking to someone else within 6 ft away, or have their saliva land on a surface and someone else touching it. Any form of barrier will lessen this risk. It is not rocket science.

He is though, medical experts are right. Clinical studies have shown they do not help in public, in controlled environments there is some protection, but only when masks are replaced often. Distance + washing your hands are vital, mask is not.

clinical studies always talk about how wearers are protected but doesn't go into how others are protected from the wearer... it's always the same leading to misconstrued notions of what wearing masks is about.

there are also a bunch of studies that show the contrary anyway including from the CDC itself, so please stop spreading this lie.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There are a ton of articles posted in this thread already on this topic. But countries doing well on this matter are typically in East Asia (where people have been almost wearing masks 100% of the time), and now there's evidence Eastern Europe is catching on...

again, you people aren't reading the thread. Wearing masks is about preventing people Who are infected from infecting others. Asymptotic people who have the virus can still spread it just by talking to someone else within 6 ft away, or have their saliva land on a surface and someone else touching it. Any form of barrier will lessen this risk. It is not rocket science.
We're talking about makeshift masks. What countries are encouraging their citizens to wear makeshift masks?
If it's as logical as you suggest I can't see why the WHO isn't recommending it or why there isn't official literature encouraging it.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
What's with this false sense of security shit
It ain't hard, stay the fuck at home and if you have to go outside for essential stuff wear the fucking mask, even a makeshift one

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
We're talking about makeshift masks. What countries are encouraging their citizens to wear makeshift masks?
If it's as logical as you suggest I can't see why the WHO isn't recommending it or why there isn't official literature encouraging it.
here you go in terms of research on DIY masks https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

keep in mind this research is based on filtering just the virus... whereas aerosol particles are much larger and so trapping them would be even more effective.

read the op for which countries are doing that.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need a mask while social distancing outside. You don't really even need one in a store if you're healthy and practicing appropriate distancing. Mask hoarding is an issue caused by people thinking that because they have a mask they can just bop all over or won't get sick.

Surprise, you unknowingly cross-contaminated with those gloves and that mask dozens of times because you aren't a trained professional—rendering your precautions useless.

Here's how you stay healthy:

Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer. A small dab after entering your car will help. Wipe your steering wheel down regularly

Wipe down your phone with isopropyl alcohol.

Wash your hands with regular frequency after touching door knobs—wipe your door knobs with a sanitizing wipe a few times a week.

Keep your hands out of your mouth.

refrain from large gatherings and small parties with friends.

There you go—you're now less likely to get sick from even the common cold, and masks stay in the hands of individuals who actually need them.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Mandating wearing a mask would still also require: proper mask use (how to wear, how to make) cleaning it, knowing it's limits etc ..
You can't just say, hey tomorrow ya'll are wearing masks.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
You don't need a mask while social distancing outside. You don't really even need one in a store if you're healthy and practicing appropriate distancing. Mask hoarding is an issue caused by people thinking that because they have a mask they can just bop all over or won't get sick.

Surprise, you unknowingly cross-contaminated with those gloves and that mask dozens of times because you aren't a trained professional—rendering your precautions useless.

Here's how you stay healthy:

Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer. A small dab after entering your car will help. Wipe your steering wheel down regularly

Wipe down your phone with isopropyl alcohol.

Wash your hands with regular frequency after touching door knobs—wipe your door knobs with a sanitizing wipe a few times a week.

Keep your hands out of your mouth.

refrain from large gatherings and small parties with friends.

There you go—you're now less likely to get sick from even the common cold, and masks stay in the hands of individuals who actually need them.
Read the thread

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Appreciate the link, was a bit to dig through to get to the meat but it led me to this:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Professional and Home-Made Face Masks Reduce Exposure to Respiratory Infections among the General Population

Governments are preparing for a potential influenza pandemic. Therefore they need data to assess the possible impact of interventions. Face-masks worn by the general population could be an accessible and affordable intervention, if effective when worn ...

Which is interesting and what I was looking for specifically around makeshift ones in particular, will give it a read.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
clinical studies always talk about how wearers are protected but doesn't go into how others are protected from the wearer... it's always the same leading to misconstrued notions of what wearing masks is about.

there are also a bunch of studies that show the contrary anyway, so please stop spreading this.

Yes, controlled environment. Public will never be that, so i'll take the data backed my renown experts as the authority on this.

Advertisements claiming protection with masks have been banned for misinformation and misleading, so i think you and others here need to stop spreading dangerous advice:

A spokesman said Public Health England informed the ASA "that they do not recommend the use of face masks as a means of protection from coronavirus".

"We understood there was very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of clinical settings," the ASA said in a statement.

They added that "prolonged use of masks was likely to reduce compliance with good universal hygiene behaviours" to help stop the spread of infectious diseases, like frequent hand-washing.

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus: Face mask ads banned for 'misleading' claims

Adverts by two firms made false claims about preventing the spread of coronavirus, watchdog rules.

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
This seems 100% logical to me. There are two ways the virus spreads.

1. Breathing in droplets in the air from a contaminated persons sneeze.
2. Touching a contaminated surface.

If 100% of the country wore masks in public in addition to the other measures it would significantly reduce droplets in the air and the contaminated surfaces. Remember there is some period of time and infected person will not show symptoms so the theory that only sick people should wear masks is dumb. Come on people and Trump make this a requirement.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Thread has been read prior to posting. It's still inappropriate and counter productive. Everyone wearing a mask will not help.
Then you are ignoring all of the evidence that proves the contrary.

Yes, controlled environment. Public will never be that, so i'll take the data backed my renown experts as the authority on this.

Advertisements claiming protection with masks have been banned for misinformation and misleading, so i think you and others here need to stop spreading dangerous advice:

www.bbc.com

Adverts by two firms made false claims about preventing the spread of coronavirus, watchdog rules.
Its funny how all of these guidelines are coming from the countries in the West that are failing at containment, when the guidelines from the countries that are actually succeeding are being ignore in this thread.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: hostility
You don't need a mask while social distancing outside. You don't really even need one in a store if you're healthy

I stopped reading here because that's the fucking point. A big proportion of the people infected with COVID-19 think they are healthy and unknowingly spread it to others.

Ignorant people who pretend to know it all are the worst.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped reading here because that's the fucking point. A big proportion of the people infected with COVID-19 think they are healthy and unknowingly spread it to others.

Ignorant people who pretend to know it all are the worst.

I've made it abundantly clear that a mask does not stop cross contamination. A mask will not stop you from getting sick. I think I'd know as a first responder that it's sanitization efforts that keep you from getting ill.

There is a point where people are going to intermingle again, and a mask will not prevent you from getting the virus. Can it help with the spread? Sure 100% along with prescription eye shields. Masks, gloves, and protective eye wear can prevent you getting Hep B, HIV, lots of things.

My main point being that none of that matters unless you are properly aware that it's your hands you should be worried about the most—as it can undo any effort you have made.

I appreciate the kind words though.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
This shit is making people crazy.

I don't know how people arguing against masks are doing so with a straight face.

It comes down to this, there are plenty of asymptomatic carriers. They cough or sneeze without a mask and it'll possibly contaminate two metres in front on them, with a mask maybe it contains a few of those droplets and it doesn't project as far.

A measure like this is ot going to stop you catching it, it supposed to possibly reduce contamination, from those unaware that they are carriers.

If masks didn't reduce spread they wouldn't have made me wear a mask when I went to get tested. Remember it's not there to protect me, it was to stop my potential fluids getting on shit.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
My main point being that none of that matters unless you are properly aware that it's your hands you should be worried about the most—as it can undo any effort you have made.

Nobody says that you can stop washing your hands or that you should start touching your face though. Masks come as an additional measure. It's not like you need to opt: "It's either masks OR washing your hands".

Oct 28, 2017
Years ago I designed a mask that used:

A t-shirt
6 coffee filters
Activated charcoal

The coffee filters dont filter out a small enough micron level so the trick (as I designed it) was to use multiple brands of coffee filter to get the micron levels down. Now I'm now scientist and this kinda thing has probably been debunked by now but it really seemed to work.

Oct 25, 2017
Makeshift masks by and large aren't actually useful. You'd basically just be doing it to make yourself feel better which is fine but not terribly helpful.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody says that you can stop washing your hands or that you should start touching your face though. Masks come as an additional measure. It's not like you need to opt: "It's either masks OR washing your hands".

Of course, I agree that it is an additional measure. My point being that cross contamination isn't particularly being taught here in the US. There is a false sense of security that the laid person here has that if they wear a mask and gloves while out that they'll be fine—that is not the case.

Above all else—sanitize your hands, various utilities you frequently touch, and don't re use your gloves and masks.

Makeshift masks by and large aren't actually useful.

Correct, and you can be lulled into a false sense of security by wearing them.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Ffs people in this thread can't read at all. So many excuses and whataboutism.

- Wear a makeshift mask, it's not perfect but it helps to spread the virus less
- Don't hoard n95 masks
- You can be asymptomatic and still spread the virus
- Still stay home and still wash your hands

it's not complicated, we need to normalize wearing masks. Stop getting into hypothetical cases and to stop something that's good

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't know how people arguing against masks are doing so with a straight face.
If you're genuinely confused it's because it isn't part of most official advice and runs counter to the recommendation of the World Health Organization.
Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been clear. Only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.

So, for the general public, they are not recommended because:
  • they are not reliable protection (they can get contaminated by other people's coughs and sneezes)
  • Washing your hands often and keeping your distance from others is a more effective way to avoid coronavirus
  • there is a risk of contamination when you put masks on and take them off
  • masks might offer a false sense of security
www.bbc.co.uk

What are the latest rules for face coverings and masks?

Rules around face coverings are easing across the UK but they are still required in some settings.

In the UK a face mask company was fined for suggesting to wear one:
A spokesman said Public Health England informed the ASA "that they do not recommend the use of face masks as a means of protection from coronavirus".
"We understood there was very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of clinical settings," the ASA said in a statement.

They added that "prolonged use of masks was likely to reduce compliance with good universal hygiene behaviours" to help stop the spread of infectious diseases, like frequent hand-washing. Prof Stephen Powis, NHS medical director, said: "Callous firms looking to maximise profits by pushing products that fly in the face of official advice is outright dangerous and has rightly been banned."
www.bbc.co.uk

It shouldn't be a mystery why some question the benefit of mandating makeshift masks across a country when it's not the recommendation of most official outlets.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now imagining the Corona Virus being an extreme threat till October and we start getting Halloween masks that also double as surgical masks. Can't get me sick at the Halloween Party in my medically approved Michael Myers mask!

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny how all of these guidelines are coming from the countries in the West that are failing at containment, when the guidelines from the countries that are actually succeeding are being ignore in this thread.

The countries you mentioned introduced lockdown sooner, with larger capacity for testing and places like Singapore + SK were proactive by using detectives to retrace all contacts in order to contain the virus. Id take anything from China with a pinch of salt. East Asia has seen a second wave of infection rise as of late March, which id suspect that couldn't happen if those masks were effective.

And official advice from Singaporean government, one of the most successful nations in tackling covid-19 advise against masks.

But it hasn't caught on everywhere in Asia - here in Singapore, the government has urged the public not to wear masks to ensure adequate supplies for healthcare workers, and most people walk around without one. There is substantial public trust in the government, so people are likely to listen to such advice.

www.bbc.com

Coronavirus: Why some countries wear face masks and others don't

Step outside without a face mask in Hong Kong and you'll get looks. That's not true elsewhere. Why?

More info about masks here:
www.bbc.com

What are the latest rules for face coverings and masks?

Rules around face coverings are easing across the UK but they are still required in some settings.

Virologists are sceptical about their effectiveness against airborne viruses.

Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been clear. Only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.

So, for the general public, they are not recommended because:
  • they are not reliable protection (they can get contaminated by other people's coughs and sneezes)
  • Washing your hands often and keeping your distance from others is a more effective way to avoid coronavirus
  • there is a risk of contamination when you put masks on and take them off
  • masks might offer a false sense of security

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
youtu.be

You Need To Listen To This Leading COVID-19 Expert From South Korea | STAY CURIOUS #15

We want to thank Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital for taking his valuable time to inform our subscribers. He just started his offici...

Please watch this, timestamp at mask questions, but preferablyt watch all of it. Interview with arguably the most credible source on COVID-19 from South Korea, the country that dealt with the virus the best so far. I'd believe his authority over any other western one considering his experience and results of the measures. His reaction to the stupidity of questioning masks contribution to the virus spread says it all. But I guess we need to be told that it absolutely helps to lessen the spread going by some of the posts here. Why the hell would doctors/nurses would need masks themselves then if it doesn't give them additional layer of protection?

It'd be especially helpful for people who, like the dumbasses they are, assume they're fine and not a threat to others, forgetting that a large percent of infected are asymptomatic.

Last edited:

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
If you're genuinely confused it's because it isn't part of most official advice and runs counter to the recommendation of the World Health Organization.

www.bbc.co.uk

In the UK a face mask company was fined for suggesting to wear one:

www.bbc.co.uk

It shouldn't be a mystery why some question the benefit of mandating makeshift masks across a country when it's not the recommendation of most official outlets.

Both of those links were about using masks to protect the wearer from the virus. Again go get a test they will tell you to wear a mask, again it's not to protect the wearer it's to stop the wearer shedding as much and as far.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Both of those links were about using masks to protect the wearer from the virus. Again go get a test they will tell you to wear a mask, again it's not to protect the wearer it's to stop the wearer shedding as much and as far.
It doesn't matter. The suggestion that the majority of the population should wear masks goes against the recommendation of Public Health England, the World Health Organization and others. That's what's being spoken to in them and why people are resistant to the notion.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017

www.bbc.com

The bbc stuff is about false claims the masks can protect yourself. This discussion is mainly about protecting others, not yourself (in case you are a carrier and don't show any symptoms, hence you don't know it yourself). Same applies to the WHO recommendations.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The bbc stuff is about false claims the masks can protect yourself. This discussion is mainly about protecting others, not yourself (in case you are a carrier and don't show any symptoms, hence you don't know it yourself). Same applies to the WHO recommendations.
The question is why the WHO (Deputy Chief Medical Officers, Public Health England, etc.) wouldn't recommend populations wear masks or makeshift masks if it had a demonstrable impact on a local epidemic? Instead the notion runs counter to their guidance.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Forget OP. It's obvious people here who have for weeks been telling people not to wear masks don't want to admit they were wrong and/or just don't want to wear them so they keep pushing the narrative that they aren't working.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
The question is why the WHO (Deputy Chief Medical Officers, Public Health England, etc.) wouldn't recommend populations wear masks or makeshift masks if it had a demonstrable impact on a local epidemic? Instead the notion runs counter to their guidance.
The two most commonly cite reasons have been:
1) limited supply of medical masks that can create shortages for those who need it
2) a desire to minimize panic and anxiety

The first one is a legit concern but can be solved if the country wills it (Vietnam is mandating that its companies produce 5 million masks PER DAY - and this is a country that has been praised for its response so far)

The second is basically moot at this point since Western society STILL isn't taking this virus seriously because of constant downplaying.which is leading to the opposite effect.

And on your point about the DIY masks - this whole thread came up because there's a country which is now mandating it... This is about what ELSE countries can do to improve this situation, and so far all anyone's rebuttal is is that the countries failing at this are saying no.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I'd try forcing them to wash their hands first tbh.
You sure?
37827.jpg

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I agree that it is an additional measure. My point being that cross contamination isn't particularly being taught here in the US. There is a false sense of security that the laid person here has that if they wear a mask and gloves while out that they'll be fine—that is not the case.

Above all else—sanitize your hands, various utilities you frequently touch, and don't re use your gloves and masks.

Correct, and you can be lulled into a false sense of security by wearing them.

And the answer to that is to educate the people not to feed them more half truths or even lies.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
It doesn't matter. The suggestion that the majority of the population should wear masks goes against the recommendation of Public Health England, the World Health Organization and others. That's what's being spoken to in them.

Seems kinda of contradictory, no?

Known carriers and possible carriers are encouraged, and possibly required, depending on location to wear a mask, (I was required) obviously for the reason that stopping their shedding is a good idea. So masks definately do something.

We know that there is a decent percentage of people with the illness that are asymptomatic and are shedding, but putting mask on them does nothing?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
WHO and the like are only recommending people don't wear masks because they don't want people hoarding them with medical professionals needing them more.

Even if they recommend people only wear homemade masks there would still be a run on the real deal because people are lazy/stupid.

Look at grocery stores. "Don't hoard, there's enough for everyone." Yet every day the bread and chicken sections wiped out.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The two most commonly cite reasons have been:
1) limited supply of medical masks that can create shortages for those who need it
2) a desire to minimize panic and anxiety

The first one is a legit concern but can be solved if the country wills it (Vietnam is mandating that its companies produce 5 million masks PER DAY - and this is a country that has been praised for its response so far)

The second is basically moot at this point since Western society STILL isn't taking this virus seriously because of constant downplaying.which is leading to the opposite effect.
I live in the UK. I have been told due to the medication I take I can't go out of the house or interact with people outside my household for 3 months. That's not even being able to go outside for exercise. We are dumping packaging/bags that have come into contact with others as soon as they enter the house and then wiping any handles/surfaces with disinfectant that they could have encountered. You think the U.K. government still isn't taking it seriously enough when they advice something as extreme as this?

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea of wearing a mask to protect others is not really established here. Covid19 also works differently from other infections since you can transfer the infection even if you don't show any symptoms at all. In the scenarios from 2010 and later involving mutated corona viruses the assumption was always that you have to have symptons like coughing in order to be contageous.

And quite frankly even if we do not have scientific proof yet because it's too early etc. mandatory masks or makeshift masks are far less intrusive than what I am currently facing (no daycare for my son, stay at home etc.) so I would take any chance to shorten the duration of the current lockdown and see where it goes.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I live in the UK. I have been told due to the medication I take I can't go out of the house or interact with people outside my household for 3 months. That's not even being able to go outside for exercise. We are dumping packaging/bags that have come into contact with others as soon as they enter the house and then wiping any handles/surfaces with disinfectant that they could have encountered. You think the U.K. government still isn't taking it seriously enough when they advice something as extreme as this?
I said Western society isn't taking it seriously... All the people that are going to parks and beaches and not respecting the social distancing rules, etc. And that's because this virus was long downplayed since the leaders don't want to "incite panic" etc. that would lead to downturn in markets.

Governments are finally wising up - but this thread is about what else they should reconsider beyond the current measures based on what some other countries are doing.

You're questioning the official recommendation from WHO, not my opinion on things.
They do not recommend for the general population to wear masks.

England's Deputy Chief Medical Officer actively discourages it on the BBC.
The WHO is basically a reflection of western attitudes that has led us to where we are today...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I think the idea of wearing a mask to protect others is not really established here. Covid19 also works differently from other infections since you can transfer the infection even if you don't show any symptoms at all. In the scenarios from 2010 and later involving mutated corona viruses the assumption was always that you have to have symptons like coughing in order to be contageous.

And quite frankly even if we do not have scientific proof yet because it's too early etc. mandatory masks or makeshift masks are far less intrusive than what I am currently facing (no daycare for my son, stay at home etc.) so I would take any chance to shorten the duration of the current lockdown and see where it goes.
But one is proofed you work (isolation even if it is more intrusive) while face masks aren't. And even if they do reduce the amount of viral shedding into the air, it's still going to be on the mask - what happens when people touch them which they will because they'll be uncomfortable to wear for any amp of time? Their hands will be covered in it and it's unlikely everyone's going to wash their hands every time they touch their mask. And the masks probably aren't going to be changed enough either. That would just make it another source of the virus for a device which there is no scientific proof would actually work. N95 masks work in a clinical environment with staff that have been trained correctly in how to use PPE. That doesn't mean it's going to work for a general population who are untrained , not good at following the simpler advice that's already out there and not actually have proper masks.

Jul 4, 2018
The problem with COVID-19 is its massive amount of asymptomatic and presymptomatic carriers who can still spread the virus, so mandatory wearing in crowded places can provide protection from these carriers. This is straight from the mouth of the head of Chinese CDC.

Science | AAAS

This is a good point, as I stated in my very first post in an ideal world with infinite masks sure everyone should be wearing one. However I think the main reason that guidelines in the west are to only wear if sick is to make sure there is adequate supply for medical staff. If there was less stigma around wearing masks and headwaters than production for western countries would likely be greater and this would be less of a problem.

This is more nuanced than mask=good or mask=bad, for instance if masks become mandatory does that lead to people who make homemade masks (don't know how effective they are I assume it varies by material and time worn) feeling more safe thus leaving the home more (which is the opposite of what they should be doing) even if this is only a small percentage that could be overall negative. Also I'm sure a certain percentage would see themselves as requiring the best masks, which would lead to supply for hospitals and other medical institutions missing out on a certain amount. This could lead to even non-Covid surgeries and the like being affected leaving those people more vulnerable to Covid as may be the case here in NZ with dentists running out of surgical masks to use. This could lead to further fatalities both directly and indirectly involving Covid.

The last thing I want personally is to contract this thing as I live with my grandfather who is in his 70s and has numerous health conditions, so if he contracts it he is pretty much fucked, which is leading to a very stressful situation for me. Luckily so far we have both managed to stay home for the past week and have enough food to last us at least til the end of this week.

Anyway it's nearly 2:30am so if I don't reply to anyone quoting me it's because hopefully I'm asleep.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I'm wearing face mask when I am outside, and I just cant stop touching my face. At least I am washing my hands (as always), and keep my distance from people.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, in Germany no mandatory masks either such an easy contribution to help flattening the curve...boggles the mind really. Although judging by some of the responses here a portion of the public probably couldn't grasp the concept.
They dont have enough capacity/masks. We need those in hospitals.