• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This won't help the people not infected. The most important thing as non infected person is still to wash your hands and not touch your face. Even if everyone wore a mask you wouldn't stop viral loads being spread by 100%.
As soon as you take of your mask and touch your face with infected hands it's over. It's no 100% perfect solution. And it would make people carless and probably wash their hands less. Which would cancel the positive effect of the mask.

Why do people act like wearing a mask and washing your hands are mutually exclusive?

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So we're doing all the other things (lockdown, washing hands) that doesn't stop viral loads being spread by 100%, but let's skip this one for some reason.

Good thing that Czech, East Asian countries are doing it because they're experiencing linear growth.
Again, I never said don't do it. So please don't make it sound like I did. I said several times now that I fear it would make people carless.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why do people act like wearing a mask and washing your hands are mutually exclusive?
I don't. But look around you, people are idiots. And in a country that elected Trump with a majority of folks saying he does a good job with the Covid-19 situation, do you really believe everyone would be reasonable? I sure don't.

Also I don't want to even start with the topic of shortage for medical supplies. So it's just not doable right now.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, in Germany no mandatory masks either such an easy contribution to help flattening the curve...boggles the mind really. Although judging by some of the responses here a portion of the public probably couldn't grasp the concept.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. But look around you, people are idiots. And in a country that elected Trump with a majority of folks saying he does a good job with the Covid-19 situation, do you really believe everyone would be reasonable? I sure don't.

Also I don't want to even start with the topic of shortage for medical supplies. So it's just not doable right now.

If it's doable or not it's a different topic. But this argument about masks being not helpful has to stop. Even if for the fact that it will be much more difficult to convince the people to wear them once there is no shortage of them and it would really help decreasing the spread.

Jul 4, 2018
There is already mask shortages so I don't think that doing this would help. But if there were infinite masks sure, but hopefully wouldn't give people a false sense of security as the mask is more about you not getting other sick more than being a shield to prevent you from getting sick.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Seems nobody gets the point I'm trying to make. And no, it is not "masks are not helpful" it's still about the false sense of protection.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Seems nobody gets the point I'm trying to make. And no, it is not "masks are not helpful" it's still about the false sense of protection.
It's helping Czech, SK, China, Japan, Singapore, HK, Taiwan.

VHmGxg9.png

Can we get a mod to post a read OP requirement? We do it for video games and I feel that this is more important than video games.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
been wearing a mask every time I go outside for a while now. The vast majority of people i see do not, however. I used to get strange or even insulting looks but those have kind of subsided. I didn't give a shit when someone would give me rolling eyes though, I'm not going to be shamed into getting sick.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP but the term mask I'll get people thinking medical masks more than face covering and could cause people to panic purchase masks that need to go to medical practitioners more so than the general populace.

And that's why you prepare well for such a measure. For example Austria ordered them in the past weeks and starting this week the masks will be handed to the population at the entrance of the supermarkets.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I'm in China and I have 100+ masks in my inventory even though there was a price hike a month ago.
I use two everyday, to and from work.

I do get angry when I see others wearing masks but not washing their hands long enough.
I do both. I wash my hands like crazy too.

But it's a fact that with the large amount of asymptomatic carriers who could still spread the virus via droplets like spit or the occasional sneeze, it is still a good idea to enforce covering faces to some extent (also depending on how much masks a state can produce and procure, of course).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The replies ITT

fetchimage

"Here's this thing that will help reduce the spread of the virus a little, and every bit helps."
"Yeah but let's discuss this false hope about 100% total protection which you are spreading that I have a problem with!"

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The idea that masks don't offer protection is ridiculous.
Masks work the same in both directions.
Filtered masks were originally developed to keep things OUT. They just happen to also keep things in.
And you aren't going to get infected while you're wearing full-face respirators like the 3M PAPR or 6900 barring someone injecting you with it or some similar shenanigans.

Jul 4, 2018
And that's why you prepare well for such a measure. For example Austria ordered them in the past weeks and starting this week the masks will be handed to the population at the entrance of the supermarkets.
I personally don't think that is a good thing though as medical personal could make much better use of those masks in hospitals.

That being said hopefully it works and limits the spread in Austria and helps to give medical facilities there a fighting chance.

I still feel the best thing we can do is keep our distance from one another and support the weak, vulnerable and those working to save lives during this time around the world.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Posted this in the COVID thread a few days ago. Anyone curious as to why we need masks in terms of data - and those who doubt we need them at all - should watch this immediately.

The public needs masks, but due to the shortage of them, they need makeshift, non-medical masks. People in hospitals are in aerosolized environments and need the masks they specifically use for this reason.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The idea that masks don't offer protection is ridiculous.
Masks work the same in both directions.
Filtered masks were originally developed to keep things OUT. They just happen to also keep things in.
And you aren't going to get infected while you're wearing full-face respirators like the 3M PAPR or 6900 barring someone injecting you with it or some similar shenanigans.
I agree.

My point is that while homemade masks barely work to protect the wearer, they can significantly reduce the amount and force (distance) of the virus that a carrier expels.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My family kinda happens to be lucky. We have a ton of face masks... from 2017. We still have a few boxes of them from when we were going through Hurricane Harvey and needed them for clean up. So we didn't hoard or stock up on them, we just happened to have a lot of them from the previous disaster we lived through. So we were already well prepared with gloves and masks.

That's what kind of blows my mind here in Houston that people aren't wearing masks. People who were here during the hurricane should probably still have some masks somewhere naturally, because they handed out so many. They were everywhere for like an entire year.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
This won't help the people not infected. The most important thing as non infected person is still to wash your hands and not touch your face. Even if everyone wore a mask you wouldn't stop viral loads being spread by 100%.
As soon as you take of your mask and touch your face with infected hands it's over. It's no 100% perfect solution. And it would make people carless and probably wash their hands less. Which would cancel the positive effect of the mask.

I'm not saying masks don't help and I'm also not saying don't use them., but what I fear most is that mandatory masks would make people care less about the basics like distancing and washing hands. They'd probably think 'I have a mask, I'm perfectly safe!"

People do not drive more reckless, if wearing a seatbelt though. Or drive reckless anyways.
Or stop signs ... or ...

I dont get the point of saying people get more reckless if the use the non-100% percent method xyz

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think that is a good thing though as medical personal could make much better use of those masks in hospitals.

That being said hopefully it works and limits the spread in Austria and helps to give medical facilities there a fighting chance.

I still feel the best thing we can do is keep our distance from one another and support the weak, vulnerable and those working to save lives during this time around the world.

These are the normal masks, not the N95/FFP ones that are useful to protect the medical personal.

You still have to respect all the other measures while wearing a mask.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that while homemade masks barely work to protect the wearer, they can significantly reduce the amount and force (distance) of the virus that a carrier expels.

Not just this. Homemade masks also mean you're absorbing less of the viral load from external sources, meaning your immune system has a better chance at handling the lighter load. The video I posted goes into those specifics and even cites what sort of makeshift masks one can make and the risks within them.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Not just this. Homemade masks also mean you're absorbing less of the viral load from external sources, meaning your immune system has a better chance at handling the lighter load. The video I posted goes into those specifics and even cites what sort of makeshift masks one can make and the risks within them.

I agree. It's a benefit for self-protection, but more importantly it helps you from spreading the virus once you get it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
been wearing a mask every time I go outside for a while now. The vast majority of people i see do not, however. I used to get strange or even insulting looks but those have kind of subsided. I didn't give a shit when someone would give me rolling eyes though, I'm not going to be shamed into getting sick.

If I have to go out again I'm wearing one of my three reusable P100 respirators that I had before the virus was a thing, swim goggles, and gloves.
IDGAF what people think at this point.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I need to go and post something this afternoon, and I'll be wearing gloves with a scarf wrapped around my face - mainly because I don't have a mask. I'm guaranteed to get weird looks (the UK is still pretty judgmental about people covering their faces) but I'll take weird looks over getting infected or infecting someone else if I'm a carrier.

I've been isolated for going on 20 days, so I don't THINK I'm a carrier, but I don't fancy taking the chance.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, what a bizarre fucking country I live in, where deciding whether to practice caution around a viral pandemic or not, is seen as a partisan political issue. Like, one that people will communicate to you unprovoked.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I need to go and post something this afternoon, and I'll be wearing gloves with a scarf wrapped around my face - mainly because I don't have a mask. I'm guaranteed to get weird looks (the UK is still pretty judgmental about people covering their faces) but I'll take weird looks over getting infected or infecting someone else if I'm a carrier.

I've been isolated for going on 20 days, so I don't THINK I'm a carrier, but I don't fancy taking the chance.
I'm doing the same. You and I will help to normalise mask wearing (and as a bonus, twats will keep their distance).

Jul 4, 2018
These are the normal masks, not the N95/FFP ones that are useful to protect the medical personal.

You still have to respect all the other measures while wearing a mask.
Fair enough had a quick online search and there isn't much news on what masks they are exactly distributing but if by normal you mean surgical that still sucks for us here in NZ as we have a shortage of surgical masks particularly for Dentists. If people end up dying due to being unable to get dental treatment or other surgical treatments for that matter that is going to suck big time, especially when there is more out there.

It's good to know that they will be enforcing strict measures still though.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember a comparison with Poland (with no similar rule) and almost identical results.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough had a quick online search and there isn't much news on what masks they are exactly distributing but if by normal you mean surgical that still sucks for us here in NZ as we have a shortage of surgical masks particularly for Dentists. If people end up dying due to being unable to get dental treatment or other surgical treatments for that matter that is going to suck big time, especially when there is more out there.

It's good to know that they will be enforcing strict measures still though.

The reason for this is that by the current estimates the maximum capacity of ICU in Austria will be reached by mid April so the infections rate must be slowed down even further.

Jul 4, 2018
The reason for this is that by the current estimates the maximum capacity of ICU in Austria will be reached by mid April so the infections rate must be slowed down even further.
I understand it from a certain point of view. Countries need to do what they need to do, but it's going to come at the expense of human life which fucking sucks!

That being said I really hope it does work and slows down spread there, the fewer places around the world that have to deal with war zone level discussions when it comes to health and livelihood the better.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
FFS. YES WASH YOUR HANDS. YES KEEP YOUR DISTANCE.

WEARING A MASK CAN HELP YOU FROM SPREADING THE VIRUS TO OTHER PEOPLE IF YOU ARE ASYMPTOMATIC. IT REDUCES THE SPREAD. IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE A DOCTORS MASK.

Also, the people already wearing masks do not think the masks makes them invincible, they are also washing their hands religiously and keeping their distance.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Can't believe that people around the world and even here are arguing AGAINST masks/scarfs etc like is some sort of bad habit wearing it even if you are not sick.

In my country (Slovakia) we have mandatory mask for over two weeks and literally nobody has a problem wearing them. People around towns and small villages are making them, sewing them and giving them out for free if people are in need. And it definitely helped with our COVID-19 numbers (even tough testing numbers are quiet low compared to other big countries).

We even had new government appointed by our president like this:

c0c7aaf7da413badb9557b94e6debe47.jpg

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It can't hurt to try people, even if only slows the spread by like 1% it's still slower.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Masks wont help you not getting sick. They are there to keep you from infecting others.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of trying to argue the usefulness of mask in the US lol. Why not take a look at all these countries doing it and flattening the curve instead spouting the "it's make you touch your face more", "false sense of security", " people gonna wear it wrong anyway" BS

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
If you have COVID-19, wearing a surgical mask can help to prevent spreading it to others.

If you are well, you do not need to wear a surgical mask. There is little evidence that widespread use of surgical masks in healthy people prevents transmission in public.

Source: https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19

The problem with COVID-19 is its massive amount of asymptomatic and presymptomatic carriers who can still spread the virus, so mandatory wearing in crowded places can provide protection from these carriers. This is straight from the mouth of the head of Chinese CDC.

Science | AAAS

Last edited:

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Can't believe that people around the world and even here are arguing AGAINST masks/scarfs etc like is some sort of bad habit wearing it even if you are not sick.

In my country (Slovakia) we have mandatory mask for over two weeks and literally nobody has a problem wearing them. People around towns and small villages are making them, sewing them and giving them out for free if people are in need. And it definitely helped with our COVID-19 numbers (even tough testing numbers are quiet low compared to other big countries).

We even had new government appointed by our president like this:

c0c7aaf7da413badb9557b94e6debe47.jpg

Cool to see someone from Slovakia here. My wife is from there. Anyways we've been also keeping up with the news from there and you guys are doing a good job. Like you said the numbers are very low.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
In the USA at least there are shortages of tons of things right now, with masks being a big one. If even medical workers can't get enough masks, how can we expect everyone in society to wear a mask for the foreseeable future? It's just not going to happen.

In any case, there is still an ongoing back and forth about masks and how protective they are. It seems like most western societies are telling people not to wear masks unless you are at risk of infecting others, but if you look at many asian countries, pretty much EVERYONE is wearing them, and it's those countries that are having way lower infection rates. They are also doing a better job at making sure their residents are staying home. I think we should look at what is working in other countries and adopt what is working.

I hate how selfish a lot of people in Western countries are. We (collectively) are more concerned about our individual freedoms being compromised than acting towards greater good in our communities. It takes a pandemic to make that picture come into perfect focus, but it's always been true. I wish this would help us change that but we'll have to see.

I can't even order basic food items or Purell on amazon let alone decent quality masks that would protect me like good masks. I thankfully do have some n95 masks since I'm in California and need them for wildfires anyway so I already had a small stash. Getting more though? A nightmare.

Last edited:

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Probably won't happen in the US. The lead Doctor, Dr. Fauci, told everyone it doesn't help.

"Theres no reason to be walking around with a mask... While masks prevent some droplets they do not provide the level of protection people think they do."

www.cbsnews.com

March 2020: Dr. Anthony Fauci talks with Dr Jon LaPook about COVID-19

In March, Fauci told 60 Minutes that masks should largely be reserved for healthcare providers. In April, the recommendations were broadened to include simple masks for the general public.

Not saying you are wrong. Just providing context as to why stuff like this doesn't catch on.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm so tired of trying to argue the usefulness of mask in the US lol. Why not take a look at all these countries doing it and flattening the curve instead spouting the "it's make you touch your face more", "false sense of security", " people gonna wear it wrong anyway" BS
Do you have something to attribute the use of makeshift masks and bandanas to flattening the curve? I've been looking.

That looks into why countries that are flattening the curve might have been successful in doing so. Information about the effectiveness of makeshift masks seems scarce but concerns around people having a false sense of security and being more lax in social distancing seem to have more grounding than being bullshit. We're not talking universal use of N95 masks and makeshift masks from clothing can be poor when they're not sealed and reused. Is there anything substantive around suggesting universal use of them by all would have a positive impact?