• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado just announced a 50 percent reduction in workforce.....that is it. They took a week to announce anything. Are they going to be completely screwed?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
B-Dubs Any reason this is no longer stickied? Might be a good idea to keep it up, even with other featured threads in play, simply as an easy access news summary.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Since essential grocery store workers and anybody in the medical field has to continue working they should be receiving mandatory hazard pay.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I work for a car dealership as a manager. I manage the internet side of things. So thats emailed in leads, and dealing with online reputation management.

Dealerships fall into the essential category due to the service aspect.

I fully expect to be cussed at for the duration of this shut down. "People are out of work and youre trying to sell them cars. You should be ashamed."

We have an emergency meeting tomorrow morning. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I work for a car dealership as a manager. I manage the internet side of things. So thats emailed in leads, and dealing with online reputation management.

I fully expect to be cussed at for the duration of this shut down. "People are out of work and youre trying to sell them cars. You should be ashamed."

We have an emergency meeting tomorrow morning. I have no idea what to expect at this point.

I mean the law has a ton of exemptions, or the order. Fuck anyone judging you for trying to provide for your gaming addiction/family or BOTH.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017

Heard a car dealership commercial on the way to work a few days back. They went out of their way to point out how clean the dealership is, that they wipe down desks, phones, door handles and all their cars daily and you should "feel safe" to come in and buy a car from them.

I mean, on one hand I understand it's a business and they have to make money, but on the other, trying to sell cars while people are losing jobs left and right and literally trying not to die is... weird.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the Northeast of the country and that seems insane to me. It's like your state is just getting to where we were 2 weeks ago.
I'm in California and my mom is in Colorado. That is why I'm keeping tabs on everything in Denver. I thought for sure by now they would be in lockdown so she didn't have to go back to work. But since this is all Colorado is going to enforce at this time, she will have to go back to work on Tuesday. It is so crazy to see how each state is handling this situation and which Governor's are just completely ignorant.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Heard a car dealership commercial on the way to work a few days back. They went out of their way to point out how clean the dealership is, that they wipe down desks, phones, door handles and all their cars daily and you should "feel safe" to come in and buy a car from them.

I mean, on one hand I understand it's a business and they have to make money, but on the other, trying to sell cars while people are losing jobs left and right and literally trying not to die is... weird.

Business is business.

People will still buy games, movies and other luxuries during all of this.

Im prepared for the backlash.

The short is NONE of us have ever been through anything like this. We will all get through this together

Oct 25, 2017

Id be careful, some of the detailed orders and list of whats allowed to operate or not specified only the auto repair portion could be open but not the selling side.

With the financial and job security side of things for American workers, I cant imagine many will be getting new cars until clarity from gov't relief is provided.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Business is business.

People will still buy games, movies and other luxuries during all of this.

Im prepared for the backlash.

The short is NONE of us have ever been through anything like this. We will all get through this together
Yeah, like I said, I understand. But dropping a few bucks on distractions like games, movies etc isn't close to dropping tens of thousands on a car. People have other priorities at the moment.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The entire island of O'ahu is being ordered to shelter in place, starting tomorrow (Monday) at 4:30pm HST, and going through April 30th. "Essential businesses" to stay open, everyone else should be staying home or in their hotel accomodations.

Maui County (the islands of Maui, Moloka'i and Lana'i) are also beginning shelter-in-place orders starting Wednesday morning at 12:01am HST, also going through April 30th.

Also looking like the entire state will be asked to shelter in place within the next couple days, according to the Mayor of Honolulu's press conference.

Press conference is ongoing, details to follow.

Last edited:

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Id be careful, some of the detailed orders and list of whats allowed to operate or not specified only the auto repair portion could be open but not the selling side.

With the financial and job security side of things for American workers, I cant imagine many will be getting new cars until clarity from gov't relief is provided.
We continue to operate until we are told otherwise.

The part that I do, I can work remotely if need be.

Its gonna be a weird time

Sep 14, 2019
Not sure if I should ask her, but has there been any talk about deferments for mortgage payments and car payments for areas where "Shelter in Place" is in effect?

My parents are still working but their hours have been cut back and making a lot less money, and I don't make enough to help them out sufficiently.

Has anyone talked to their lender or something regarding this? Any tips? Etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I should ask her, but has there been any talk about deferments for mortgage payments and car payments for areas where "Shelter in Place" is in effect?

My parents are still working but their hours have been cut back and making a lot less money, and I don't make enough to help them out sufficiently.

Has anyone talked to their lender or something regarding this? Any tips? Etc.
based on car ads on tv, you can probably talk to whoever handles your car one for understanding.

mortgage and renter relief could potentially be in the Economic Stimulus bills the House and Senate are currently trying to pass.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It seems like under the Ohio order a lot of businesses can just deem themselves essential with how broad the essential business list is. My employer is doing so, even though we manufacture non essential goods imo. There's nobody technically enforcing anything though, so all these factories are just gonna stay open.

On the FAQ for the order, it says "if your business is non essential but your employer is still requiring you to work, you may discuss the situation with your employer" lololol

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Things are incredibly fluid right now.

There will be a conference call with the Cleveland Area Dealers Association and the Governors office in regards to what is and is not essential.

I have a gut feeling service departments will be kept open, but sales and finance will be closed up.

The issue for service is the following;
Parts warehouses are closed
Paint warehouses are closed
Aside from on hand stock, they are screwed if they need anything.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio lockdown has officially got me working from home starting tomorrow. Going to set up a little office for myself this evening. It's going to be tough with a 5 year old and a newborn on the way, but I work in the middle of a big city and have to ride public transportation to get to my building since there's no parking and the shuttle buses are filled with visibly sick homeless people. Can't do this anymore.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Me and all my friends still out here working in non essential factories in Ohio. Each business as declared themselves essential and going on about their normal business

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Ohio shelter in place is so toothless lmao

most businesses are "essential" and employers can basically find any reason to make people come to work.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

most businesses are "essential" and employers can basically find any reason to make people come to work.
I don't think we will ever get a complete shelter in place as long as people have to go and getting basic supplies.

Just from my observation this morning, things are really slowing down and people are staying home much more.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Me and all my friends still out here working in non essential factories in Ohio. Each business as declared themselves essential and going on about their normal business
I know some people who work at Buckeye Business Products in Cleveland. Somehow they are still being made to come in to make labels. There was apparently someone throwing up on the line last week. Vultures.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The Mass order is not as strict as some others, here's the details from WBUR:

www.wbur.org

Baker Orders All Non-Essential Mass. Businesses To Close Starting Tuesday

Gov. Charlie Baker Monday ordered all businesses and organizations that are not providing essential services to close, effective Tuesday noon. He did not issue a stay-at-home order.

All non-essential businesses must close their brick-and-mortar operations by noon Tuesday, Baker said, though they can continue to operate remotely. The administration released a nine-page list of businesses considered essential.

Essential industries include:
  • Health care, public health and human services (including workers who provide COVID-19 testing, medical professionals and lab personnel)
  • Law enforcement, public safety and first responders
  • Food and agriculture (including workers supporting grocery stores, pharmacies, and restaurant and quick serve operations)
  • Energy (including electric, petroleum, natural gas and propane gas workers)
  • Waste and wastewater
  • Transportation and logistics (including mass transit workers, postal and shipping workers, airport and airline employees, and Lyft and Uber drivers)
  • Public works (including plumbers, electricians, exterminators and inspectors)
  • Communications and information technology (including media, data center operators and IT workers)
  • Critical manufacturing
  • Hazardous materials
  • Financial services
  • Chemical
  • Defense industrial base
  • "Other community-based essential functions and government operations" (including hotel workers, elections personnel, security staff, weather forecasters, emergency child care workers, workers in sober homes, laundromats and laundry services, and workers in places of worship)
And more in the PDF.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017

Pretty much. A lot of employees=essential no matter what they are doing. Can't let those unemployment numbers go up. I sure know people are really chomping at the bit to buy some high end luxury kitchen appliances right now.

for the record I'm not upset that I'm working I just think it's funny how they try to explain what's essential. We are going to fill up our warehouses to the brink. Then comes the recessions, nobody is going to be buying this shit and we'll all end up getting laid off late summer/ fall.
book it.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Maryland shutting down all non essentials at 5. Hogan made sure to state it's not a shelter in place order.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This thread was no longer pinned and I didn't bother looking for it earlier, but since it's made its way back to the front, I may as well mention it here as well:

Though others here in Michigan are likely already aware, the governor has issued a stay-at-home order that will begin at 12:01 AM and be in effect for the next three weeks.

www.clickondetroit.com

Michigan issues stay-at-home order amid coronavirus: Here’s what it means

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued a statewide stay-at-home order on Monday to fight the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
for the record I'm not upset that I'm working I just think it's funny how they try to explain what's essential. We are going to fill up our warehouses to the brink. Then comes the recessions, nobody is going to be buying this shit and we'll all end up getting laid off late summer/ fall.
book it.

what upsets me is the people that are essential in my office (lawyers, basically) are all WFH already and they have poor secretaries and assistants (one of which in my office is immune-compromised, the other over 65) basically doing their grunt work so they don't have to endanger themselves.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Hearing from my uppers that PA will be announcing shelter in place and extend all school closings by another 2 weeks (with a reup decision after each 2 weeks) potentially later today.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but I just got an email from District 64 in Illinois(Park Ridge, a Chicago Suburb) that a mom tested positive this past Saturday, but the actual test happened on the 11th and only just got the results back. So yeah I guess if you or anyone you know has been in the area since the beginning of March, keep safe!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This thread was no longer pinned and I didn't bother looking for it earlier, but since it's made its way back to the front, I may as well mention it here as well:

Though others here in Michigan are likely already aware, the governor has issued a stay-at-home order that will begin at 12:01 AM and be in effect for the next three weeks.

www.clickondetroit.com

Michigan issues stay-at-home order amid coronavirus: Here’s what it means

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued a statewide stay-at-home order on Monday to fight the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

I see a lot of comments on the internet that most stuff just stays open anyways

idk what the governments can do more but if that's true I'm guessing I'll be doing my factory job in ontario right through this.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me what happened in the construction field during the last major recession?

I just got a job as a field engineer at a geotechnical engineering firm around 8 months ago and everything seems pretty shaky. We already had a bad winter with lots of rainouts (I've been on low earnings unemployment + 20 hours a week for the last month) and it seemed like jobs were going to resume mostly in full until this started.

I'm a little hopeful because most of our contracts are state work, AEP, the pipeline and hospitals...but it seems that in a massive recession, most private jobs will opt not to build.

How worried should I be?

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DeSantis really wants to bleed what little Spring Break money he can before telling people to stay home, doesn't he?