• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Is the lockdown only as strong as its weakest link? Like, if New York locks down, but say the midwest doesn't, and then it clears up in New York but gets bad in the midwest, does New York have to remain in lockdown until the rest of the country is under control?

Oct 25, 2017
Is the lockdown only as strong as its weakest link? Like, if New York locks down, but say the midwest doesn't, and then it clears up in New York but gets bad in the midwest, does New York have to remain in lockdown until the rest of the country is under control?
The reason why a national strategy needs to be implemented versus a state by state/ county by county / city by city strategy. Anyone can move in and ruin everything.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Cali. Despite the recent statewide order to shelter in place, earlier today my supervisor called me to come in next week. I work at a machine shop. I think what's happening is HR people around the bay are just now figuring out the technicalities of the order. My supervisor made me understand that I can't be forced to work, and OT is off the table, but I am otherwise going back to business as usual. Gotta say I'm relieved. I used the last of my ETO covering the last 4 days.

Last edited:

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason why a national strategy needs to be implemented versus a state by state/ county by county / city by city strategy. Anyone can move in and ruin everything.
Exactly. Too much trust is being put into assuming people will make the correct decision.

My neighborhood has been doing everything possible to demonstrate that some people need to be made to do the right thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is they have not yet defined what is and is not "non essential"

I work in a building where we make frames, wood frames, metal frames. There is nothing essential about it, but we had a meeting today basically saying see you Monday.
Supposedly this guidance on "essential" will be posted Sunday night, and will go into effect Monday night. It's going to be a lot more than people think - if you're on any part of the supply chain that goes to the state, you might be considered essential. My wife is in telecom, and even though a lot of her work is remote-conference and customer-facing work, she's considered essential so she has to go in.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Supposedly this guidance on "essential" will be posted Sunday night, and will go into effect Monday night. It's going to be a lot more than people think - if you're on any part of the supply chain that goes to the state, you might be considered essential. My wife is in telecom, and even though a lot of her work is remote-conference and customer-facing work, she's considered essential so she has to go in.

This is also what I believe to be true and what I've been trying to tell people. A lot of arguments about what is going on have been happening around here. I saw this posted and I've been trying to share it as much as possible because I think this is pretty clear. (If any of this is wrong please let me know lol)

uNSGEoa.jpg

I can't see how they could possibly spin my job as essential, but I guess we will see.

Edit: I see now that what I posted says effective sunday 8pm but I also have been telling people they will come to and understanding sunday night then put it into effect monday 8pm, like youve stated. Which makes sense as to why they changed my regular shift from 230pm to 11pm to 1030am to 7pm.

Oct 25, 2017
In Massachusetts, Somerville and Plymouth both have harsher retail closures.
I'm in Plymouth. As of right now we are still open - I work at a brewery and distillery that has shifted production to hand sanitizer. We've been providing it free for the public and to community organizations. At this point we are helping supply two local hospitals along with police and fire departments and others. The community has responded well and have been helping us out by cleaning out our bottles and cans that we have available to-go.

We've been trying to find out via the governor's office if we can continue operations during a shelter-in-place. We assume so as long as we stop retail sales alongside and only provide for the larger organizations were helping.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Gov. DeWine will be back on today at 2.
Im sure nothing new or of value will be said or changed.
Nah, he's not shuttint shit down. If it didnt happen yesterday, it aint happening IMO. Ohio still seems busy as ever from where I am, besides the businesses that did get shut down. Tons of traffic, people out and about, etc

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm in Illinois and this won't go into practice until 5pm.

I really do want to know the criteria for Non-essential though. I'm assuming clothing stores, outlet malls and actual malls should close, but we'll see.

Our office has been closed to the public since last week so I doubt much changes on our end.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Maryland been shutdown for a minute now. Surprised our governor acted so fast.

Oct 27, 2017
The Vice President is currently telling the country that we have done six days of a 15 day slowdown process, and that we have a week and a few days to go. All evidence is to the contrary.

Oct 25, 2017
The Vice President is currently telling the country that we have done six days of a 15 day slowdown process, and that we have a week and a few days to go. All evidence is to the contrary.
places are doubling incident reports day over day, and then we still have to worry about the deaths catching up when people succumb to disease + incidence reporting..I dont see how this has been a "slowdown" especially when some places have barely done any of the measures...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what happens at the end of the month when people can't pay the rent next month?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
So what happens at the end of the month when people can't pay the rent next month?

Any state or city that has banned non-essential businesses from operating should also ban evictions and foreclosures as well. I know some have done this- NJ is one of them, and it's linked in Murphy's tweet above. In reality it should be a federal order, extend 3 months after restrictions expire, and also ban reporting missed payments to credit agencies... but I'm not holding my breath.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
NJ enacts Stay At Home directive:

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-info...losure-of-all-non-essential-retail-businesses full article and list of essential businesses

Governor Murphy's Executive Order further directs the closure of all non-essential retail businesses to the public, with the exceptions of:

• Grocery stores, farmer's markets and farms that sell directly to customers, and other food stores, including retailers that offer a varied assortment of foods comparable to what exists at a grocery store;
  • Pharmacies and medical marijuana dispensaries;
  • Medical supply stores;
  • Gas stations;
  • Convenience stores;
  • Ancillary stores within healthcare facilities;
  • Hardware and home improvement stores;
  • Banks and other financial institutions;
  • Laundromats and dry-cleaning services;
  • Stores that principally sell supplies for children under five years;
  • Pet stores;
  • Liquor stores;
  • Car dealerships, but only for auto maintenance and repair, and auto mechanics;
  • Printing and office supply shops;
  • Mail and delivery stores.
  • Nothing in the Order shall limit 1) the provision of health care or medical services; 2) access to essential services for low-income residents, such as food banks; 3) the operations of the media; 4) law enforcement agencies, or 5) the operations of the federal government.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
I live in a small city and one of our local downtown pizza places that I frequent has seen a huge surge of sales. It's normally not packed, and sometimes it's even completely empty. But since they switched to take out only, They've been posting how they keep selling out every day and a lot of orders coming in, it's nice to see some local businesses thriving here.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
In Massachusetts, Somerville and Plymouth both have harsher retail closures.

www.boston25news.com

Somerville to suspend in-person retail and personal services as COVID-19 containment efforts continue

Officials in Somerville have announced all in-person general retail and personal services will be suspended until further notice as measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus continue.

I live in Somerville, got quite a few messages from the City yesterday during a walk. Liquor stores staying open, they know what's important!

Here this is kinda critical - Somerville is *very* dense. It's a inner-core independent city (meaning we're basically part of urban Boston, but self governed, common for Boston and why it only has an actual population of ~660k) with one of the highest population densities in the country - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._the_United_States_with_over_75,000_residents Yes, only NYC above us. Part of that is that we're only 4sq miles - there's not really a low density part of the city and not many business focused spots. Very few single family homes, almost all triple deckers (2-3 family homes) and apartments.

In other words, it would be very easy for Coronavirus to spread here if rapid action isn't taken and there was a case at Tufts university already.

It's going to be pretty bad for businesses around here as a big problem in the city is skyrocketing rents/housing costs and they were running tight margins. But for my side having to shelter in place isn't crazy hard here either - lots of businesses are doing takeout/delivery, even ones that never delivered before. Groceries, supplies, etc all readily available. People are taking it very seriously here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This just will not work for more than a few more weeks, though; otherwise you're gonna have quite literally half the country unable to pay their bills.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
More stalling from dewine. He always seems like he's gonna do it, and then he pivots to asking nicely for citizens to stay home. He needs to realize the people who need to hear that do not care enough to watch his press conferences. We need to shut it down.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
More stalling from dewine. He always seems like he's gonna do it, and then he pivots to asking nicely for citizens to stay home. He needs to realize the people who need to hear that do not care enough to watch his press conferences. We need to shut it down.
And each one feels like a veiled threat
"You need to do the right things" And then right before he gets to the "or else" he pulls back.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I give up. He has to have businesses in his ear or something telling him not to shutdown because that's the only thing I can think of as to why we are not shut down yet.

He's going to sit here and stall until the last minute and by that point we are gonna be at our lowest.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps if cases are still increasing at present rate and in more places on day 13/14, then there will be drastic changes everywhere, also there is still backlog of samples to run.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
At this point I give up. He has to have businesses in his ear or something telling him not to shutdown because that's the only thing I can think of as to why we are not shut down yet.

He's going to sit here and stall until the last minute and by that point we are gonna be at our lowest.
Of course he does. Hes got wealthy business owning friends.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

You know, I read things like this and wonder how much of a different it makes compared to before. People get mugged, it happens regardless. This says they took her wallet and groceries. So was it a mugging because they knew she had money on her, or was it specifically for her food (by assumingly some person that is in need by all the chaos).

Between this and the "looting"/store theft video last night, a lot of it tries to paint a sort of "beginning of chaos". I don't deny that things may get hard in the near future, but these things do still happen even without these additional factors.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
To show you what we in Ohio are dealing with:

Dr. Amy Acton on Ohio's rise in cases: "This is the time to batten down your hatches," Ohio Department of Health Dr. Amy Acton said. "This is the time to stay at home and in place."

Meanwhile, DeWine refuses to do it.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
To show you what we in Ohio are dealing with:

Dr. Amy Acton on Ohio's rise in cases: "This is the time to batten down your hatches," Ohio Department of Health Dr. Amy Acton said. "This is the time to stay at home and in place."

Meanwhile, DeWine refuses to do it.
It's one of the most frustrating things.

They keep on hammering that people need to stay in there homes but refuse to lock down completely. We are in a half-measure with a governor who's afraid to press the red button.