• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So I wonder if DeWine will follow California and order a shutdown of Ohio for non-essential businesses and such today

I sure as hell hope so. My 62-year old mother with diabetes is STILL being forced to go to her work where she works with the public at a credit union and they HAVE NOT (!!!!!) closed the lobby. The manager is such a stupid twat who is in denial about the whole thing. He's risking his employees lives and I don't know what to do. She can't not go in or she'll be fired and she can't lose her job.

Although are banks and credit unions considered essential? And if they are, will they be forced to close the lobby? FUCK.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I sure as hell hope so. My 62-year old mother with diabetes is STILL being forced to go to her work where she works with the public at a credit union and they HAVE NOT (!!!!!) closed the lobby. The manager is such a stupid twat who is in denial about the whole thing. He's risking his employees lives and I don't know what to do. She can't not go in or she'll be fired and she can't lose her job.

Although are banks and credit unions considered essential? And if they are, will they be forced to close the lobby? FUCK.

That's ridiculous. My other is also being forced to go to work still, but she has her own office and is staying away from others. The management just keeps saying 'business as usual'.

Not sure about banks being essential.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Minnesota: my wife's coworker's husband (yes 3 degrees of separation) just got a note from Fedex where he works that all non essential businesses are closing. MN gov has an announcement today so seems like it could be that. I thought it was just going to be a virus #'s update, but seems like it could be closer to a lockdown and shelter in place. He was on the radio this morning saying that it was a possibility when asked about California. guess we'll find out for sure at 2pm

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
At this point, unless his hand is ABSOLUTELY forced.. things will stay open. Yesterday's press conference full of stalling and non-information should have told you that.
It's so dumb. He's ok with a million people laid off to "stop the spread" but we can still pile hundreds of people on top of each other in every factory in the state making boat paint and tractor rims or whatever the fuck. It's all a show for political brownie points. He doesn't give a fuck.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
It's so dumb. He's ok with a million people laid off to "stop the spread" but we can still pile hundreds of people on top of each other in every factory in the state making boat paint and tractor rims or whatever the fuck. It's all a show for political brownie points. He doesn't give a fuck.
I feel as if he is getting pressure by his business-owning campaign contributors to stay open.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Feels like defense contractors are taking advantage of the "critical/essential" clause in these shutdowns. Yeah, if you're a military contractor in Afghanistan or Saudi, directly supporting an asset, maybe you're critical essential. But these companies in California are keeping flight test squadrons or programs open, while 7 to 8 employees are going out each day for Corona symptoms.
Mine was doing this before Edwards AFB shutdown. Every day I was coming in to work madder and more paranoid.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got a text from a family member saying that they got a text from an associate's son who works at Homeland Security claiming that they're going to mobilize the National Guard across the US, with plans to issue a mandatory one week quarantine for all businesses and citizens.

If this is a hoax (and I'm quite sure it is), I'd like it if someone could debunk it here so I can be spared hearing about this all weekend. It's got the rest of my family spooked so I'd like to nip this quickly.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I got a text from a family member saying that they got a text from an associate's son who works at Homeland Security claiming that they're going to mobilize the National Guard across the US, with plans to issue a mandatory one week quarantine for all businesses and citizens.

If this is a hoax (and I'm quite sure it is), I'd like it if someone could debunk it here so I can be spared hearing about this all weekend. It's got the rest of my family spooked so I'd like to nip this quickly.
It's a hoax. Conspiracy theory nonsense

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A week shut down wouldnt even help anything at all. The entire rumor is stupid.

The text claims it would start for a week and potentially last 30 days, and they're planning to stealth mobilize in the weekend while most folks are in home.

I know, I feel stupid even typing it out, but even now I'm seeing some follow-up responses that have got me worried (in a "oh god they're already panicking" way).

Ironically the person I'm referring to is one of those "don't believe everything (anything) the internet says" types but immediately believes anything that's passed through word of mouth via associates.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The text claims it would start for a week and potentially last 30 days, and they're planning to stealth mobilize in the weekend while most folks are in home.

I know, I feel stupid even typing it out, but even now I'm seeing some follow-up responses that have got me worried (in a "oh god they're already panicking" way).
Do they really think a federal government led by republicans ruled by Donald Trump would rrally have it all together like that? This dude was tweeting about the flu being worse like, last Wednesday

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
ah yes not A SHELTER AT HOME ORDER but NYS ON PAUSE

Why not do it earlier this week Cuomo?
I see four main possible answers:

a) greed -- somehow he was trying to benefit himself
b) political fear -- maybe he was afraid premature action would have too much pushback
c) incompetence -- he's just too dumb to understand the situation
d) accounting for complexity -- maybe closing without notice would've left too many people in dangerous situations or the order would've been ignored and police enforcement wasn't allocated properly yet

What do you think?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is at work at the moment, but I texted my HR rep at work to see what we're supposed to do now that Cuomo finally stopped old man rambling and got off his ass. They have a conference call scheduled with corporate at 2pm, so we'll see...

Steal from your neighbors.
Been playing a shitload of Plunder in COD: Warzone. I'm ready.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't exactly sure if this was more appropriate for the general thread or not, but it's still a major shut down.

www.erienewsnow.com

Erie's Public Schools Close Indefinitely

The distribution of technology that was previously scheduled for March 23 through March 25 has been canceled.

Effectively, Erie's Public Schools have opted to close down indefinitely for the remainder of the school year. Originally they were going to try and do remote classes, but opted to cancel that. I can't tell if that's more them following the mandate or that they were caught off guard how to handle this. Given the fact Erie Schools have very little money right now (we combined our entire High School into one High School, minus the part-private, part-public High School for higher High School education, which houses 3,000+ students, in a building that could only at capacity hold 1,000), wondering if they determined that was more the reason.

Either way, this is gonna make for various anxious kids/teenagers for the rest of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't exactly sure if this was more appropriate for the general thread or not, but it's still a major shut down.

www.erienewsnow.com

Erie's Public Schools Close Indefinitely

The distribution of technology that was previously scheduled for March 23 through March 25 has been canceled.

Effectively, Erie's Public Schools have opted to close down indefinitely for the remainder of the school year. Originally they were going to try and do remote classes, but opted to cancel that. I can't tell if that's more them following the mandate or that they were caught off guard how to handle this. Given the fact Erie Schools have very little money right now (we combined our entire High School into one High School, minus the part-private, part-public High School for higher High School education, which houses 3,000+ students, in a building that could only at capacity hold 1,000), wondering if they determined that was more the reason.

Either way, this is gonna make for various anxious kids/teenagers for the rest of the year.
Yeah this is important, thanks! Schools without resources to cover district-wide distance learning, and/or those that have school years ending in early May, might elect to just end the school year.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
If you mean by talking the most and taking the least action, sure. Especially for a guy whose citizens have over 10x the amount of confirmed cases compared to other states.

Yep, that sounds like Cuomo. It's the main reason he hates Deblasio. Deblasio will start to do something progressive so to not seem like he is against it (though he really is) Cuomo will pass a bill that does the same thing. A perfect example is $15 minimum wage.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Essential businesses are given notice from the state I presume.

I work in pain management... Which I assume is non-essential. But I've heard conflicting information.

One would hope that this information would be made publicly available soon. We have to cancel appointments if this is the case.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, unless his hand is ABSOLUTELY forced.. things will stay open. Yesterday's press conference full of stalling and non-information should have told you that.
It's so sad. I have family members who are extremely at risk for COVID to do a lot of damage to them still at work. My mom literally called me last night scared of going into work tomorrow man my mom should not be in that situation her job isn't even that essential. DeWine really needs to just hurry up and close everything down.

Last edited:

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
It's so sad. I have family members are extremely at risk for COVID to a lot of damage to them still at work. My mom literally called me last night scared of going into work tomorrow man my mom should not be in that situation her job isn't even that essential. DeWine really needs to just hurry up and close everything down.
My wife and daughter both have asthma. SO trust me, it concerns me too.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
probably already answered, but all these have to be state by state, correct? Trump can't announce national lockdowns/shelter in place type things or can they do it federally too?

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
DeWine is so fucking scary just do it, the economy is going to be a problem regardless you need to protect the people stop trying to save these businesses. I'm sorry to all the small local businesses here in Ohio but we need to prevent careless deaths.