• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Can you name an ideology that has ever been defeated? By their nature, you can't defeat them. Our society has folks who still believe the Earth is flat. It's hard to believe we can ever live in a society where nobody believes in white supremacy, radical religious beliefs, and so on.

You do have a point, but we can also choose to live in a society that doesn't actively promote or exacerbate these ideas. The one we currently live in feeds them.

Would the Soviet Union be considered a faction or ideology? I don't think anyone walks around considering themselves a Soviet anymore. I guess thats extinct, def wasn't through peace.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
How do you live in such a beautiful place surrounded by such beautiful people and commit such crimes against humanity?

As someone who trains to react to these attacks when they happen, I recognize that my training is deficient in stopping them from happening in the first place. White supremacy and other forms of hate are a plague and this global political environment is a breeding ground for the infestation. I wish I could have been there alongside my New Zealand brothers and sisters hunting down these degenerate losers but at the same time I am recommitting myself to being proactive instead of just reactive, to help keep my little corner of the world safer from these monsters.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Err...
Are people seriously defending 2ch as some kind of harmless « Japanese anime forum »?
2ch has been for years the main breeding ground for those known as « Neto-uyo » (ネット右翼, local equivalent of the alt-right).
The political forums there are a monstrous hive of conservatism, nationalism, exceptionalism, revisionism, and racism in proportions rarely seen abroad with that level of visibility. Luckily for the entire world and especially for the Japanese youth, it's been restricted and even censored at provider level for years.
Even on completely mundane topics, I dare any single one of you to find a single thread there about, say, a smartphone, without anyone mentioning how shittily it was made simply because it wasn't Made in Japan.

Racism is deep rooted in Japan although unfortunately most of it remains unseen to many native English speakers who, honestly, only see very restrained and specific aspects of the society that they then propagate as the absolute truth - when in fact they were lead to encounter solely certain types of people who always serve the same exact discourse.
Oblivious poor foreigners gobble it with an apparent pleasure as it feeds the image they wanted to reinforce of the country, but never get deep rooted enough that they can start actually living in the country, they just keep on sliding in the surface. They stay as colonists, not as citizens.
They are clueless.

Everything you see on YouTube from "Japanese speaking" white youtubers is complete crap.Not a single one of those people could do even a simple serious translation job without fucking up at every corner. I know professional translator who still do a lot of fucking up.
And these are considered "experts".

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
How do you live in such a beautiful place surrounded by such beautiful people and commit such crimes against humanity?

As someone who trains to react to these attacks when they happen, I recognize that my training is deficient in stopping them from happening in the first place. White supremacy and other forms of hate are a plague and this global political environment is a breeding ground for the infestation. I wish I could have been there alongside my New Zealand brothers and sisters hunting down these degenerate losers but at the same time I am recommitting myself to being proactive instead of just reactive, to help keep my little corner of the world safer from these monsters.

The videos from 9/11 don't show the people inside dying in graphic detail. If this was a video of the outside of the building with just screams and gunshots sounding off, you bet it'd be plastered all over people's pages and news programs.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm gonna say is beyond controversial, but I really question the point of Twitter and Facebook censoring the video.

I mean yes it is going to be graphic, but it's obvious that white supremacy terrorism is still taken too far lightly. Emitt Till's mother had an open casket funeral so the point can come across. The internet has no problem using videos and imagery of the Twin Towers collasping for emotional blackmail. I mean if seeing a very graphic video of 49 people being slaughtered is what it takes to have white people finally wake the fuck up about Nazism, then so be it. Because honestly, I don't know what else could be done since nothing else seems to be working.

Emmit Till's mother made the decision to display her son's murdered body for the world to see.

The people who were murdered yesterday - and their families - gave no consent to the murderer live streaming their deaths. It serves as a recruiting tool for hatred rather than a rallying cry against it.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What I'm gonna say is beyond controversial, but I really question the point of Twitter and Facebook censoring the video.

I mean yes it is going to be graphic, but it's obvious that white supremacy terrorism is still taken too far lightly. Emitt Till's mother had an open casket funeral so the point can come across. The internet has no problem using videos and imagery of the Twin Towers collasping for emotional blackmail. I mean if seeing a very graphic video of 49 people being slaughtered is what it takes to have white people finally wake the fuck up about Nazism, then so be it. Because honestly, I don't know what else could be done since nothing else seems to be working.

Someone in the thread said people made edits with DOOM music in the background. This is entertainment for them ,nothing more. Quick fix for internet giggles that gets filed away to the viral folder and sent around snuff sites.

Its not going to do shit for people to see this video. They simply do not care because the victims aren't white.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He planned it out for years. This shit has been a problem for a long time, people are slowly being groomed through online communities that are full of resentment and hatred until they finally burst.

True. I'm just creeped out by the idea that the dude woke up that morning and was like, "okay today is the day"

The fact that he has the means and the groomed mentality to just decide to do that is disturbing to me...

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I saw that piece of shit video on Twitter without being aware of the news; I totally believed it was an stunt video until I saw the news and realized that fucking SHIT was fucking real.

What shitty world we live on. Pray for all the victims, families, New Zealand, and the world

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Really urge you to go back and look at US Civil Rights movement if you think that was achieved by "peace".

Ghandi also helped recruit Indians into the British Army for WW1. Def take a look again.

You got the washed version in mind.

I guess it's the difference between "peace" and "nonviolence". The movements were definitely nonviolent which is about civil resistance to the oppressive system, it's not passivity which is what I think people think. It also wasn't a peaceful time but that's kind of the point of nonviolence; to provoke those kind of reactions while remaining steadfast in the face of them. We know what a violent movement looks like and it certainly isn't either of those.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
You know what, I'm just scared of one thing in this world: Crazy people. Doesn't matter what ideology they follow for whatever reasons. They scare me especially when they hurt people, or even kill them. And even more so if they gain a following out of it, have political power or manage to establish a group/society around them...

RIP, it's been such a shit day :(

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Watched the video in the morning. Did not need coffee for the rest of the day. My heart was pumping for hours after that. Probably the worst thing I have ever seen on the Internet. Streaming a genocide, what a fucking surreal world we live in.

The part with the girl on the street was the worst.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
All I see on my FB feed is people's kids dressed up for St Patricks day.

If I didn't read about it here or checked MSN at work this morning I would never know it happened.

You shouldn't be getting your news from Facebook anyway. I've seen more and more people distancing themselves from FB, and I'm among them. This just makes me less likely to keep using it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anywhere where there is a conservative presence online, I'm finding an alarming number of people cheering this guy on or at least defending the attack because of past attacks by Muslims. The amount of hatred of the right is truly staggering.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Gandhi pulled it off in India. MLK Jr. pulled it off here.

I think they're notable exceptions to the norm though.

In both cases these movements had success because the establishment preferred negotiating with them over their more violent, revolutionary counterparts, and the threat of the failure of nonviolent protest leading inevitably to insurrection. As admirable as their methods were in minimizing violence, they were the good cops who ultimately depended on the bad cops to make themselves an appealing solution.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Deplatform them. Get the feds to shut them down. Or hosts to drop them. Or pressure companies to pull ads from social media platforms that tolerate them. Anything. There's no negotiating with Nazis. They're going to keep killing people and then retreating behind 'civility' and moderates. The far-right has become a global threat and society and governments need to work harder to break them.
It is really hard to do this when people keep electing right and far-right politicians.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Is anyone else really depressed by the non reaction on their Facebook?

All the usual people who put a flag as their profile picture and write, 'thoughts and prayers' or 'I stand with ...', when there's a terror attack - which normally makes cynical me all, 'Jesus, give it a rest'... - they're all carrying on as if nothing has happened.

There's nothing, no one on my Facebook has even mentioned it.

It's really obvious that this hasn't been reacted to in the same way as any other attack and (even though as far as I can see in the UK at least, the media is treating it exactly the same) it's really pissing me off, it's very depressing. It's it just me who has arsehole friends or has anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, it seems people just expect the next terrorist attack to happen these days. I vividly remember Paris and how everyone changed their flags. I personally read a report from an individual who experienced it all and talked about her traumatizing experiences and it was widely shared and discussed. And now it seems that people have accepted that terrorist attacks are like a risk in life on the same level as food poisoning or a car crash, it seems... :/

To be fair, I'm using Facebook much less than a couple years ago, and it's the same for many people I know around me.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Would the Soviet Union be considered a faction or ideology? I don't think anyone walks around considering themselves a Soviet anymore. I guess thats extinct, def wasn't through peace.
Yes there are tons of people of who long for the soviet days it's called soviet nostalgia. Over half of Russia would tell you it's fall was a bad thing.

There are still lots of Stalinists.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Keep it that way, I woke up to the news with snippets of it in a couple tweets. Seriously, why the hell would you want to spread this?!
Edit: And seriously fuck new outlets that partially show this, blurred or freeze framed with the sound going from the moment he starts shooting. Just why?!
They know that, if they don't show shit, their competitors will.

Good ol' Sensationalist Media.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Did you consider the families and friends on those victims, who really might not want images of their loved ones' brutal deaths played out in public?

Dec 3, 2018

All the usual people who put a flag as their profile picture and write, 'thoughts and prayers' or 'I stand with ...', when there's a terror attack - which normally makes cynical me all, 'Jesus, give it a rest'... - they're all carrying on as if nothing has happened.

It's really obvious that this hasn't been reacted to in the same way as any other attack and (even though as far as I can see in the UK at least, the media is treating it exactly the same) it's really pissing me off, it's very depressing. It's it just me who has arsehole friends or has anyone else noticed this?

Not on Facebook, but the BBC seem to be covering like they would any other attack.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I guess it's the difference between "peace" and "nonviolence". The movements were definitely nonviolent which is about civil resistance to the oppressive system, it's not passivity which is what I think people think. It also wasn't a peaceful time but that's kind of the point of nonviolence; to provoke those kind of reactions while remaining steadfast in the face of them. We know what a violent movement looks like and it certainly isn't either of those.

Accurate assessment. However we know that ultimately no move was made until LA and other cities burned. They killed the non-violent leader and everything went to hell shortly afterwards. The Civil Rights only came after uprising and insurrection to quell the damage

In both cases these movements had success because the establishment preferred negotiating with them over their more violent, revolutionary counterparts, and the threat of the failure of nonviolent protest leading inevitably to insurrection. As admirable as their methods were in minimizing violence, they were the good cops who ultimately depended on the bad cops to make themselves an appealing solution.

Good explanation. "Nonviolence" is making their jobs easy without the presence of Stokely Carmichael, Malcolm X, and Black Panthers all pushing for self defense and holding ground.

Yes there are tons of people of who long for the soviet days it's called soviet nostalgia. Over half of Russia would tell you it's fall was a bad thing.

There are still lots of Stalinists.

hmm The more you know.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You shouldn't be getting your news from Facebook anyway. I've seen more and more people distancing themselves from FB, and I'm among them. This just makes me less likely to keep using it.
I don't get my news from FB, I don't have a favorite source, journalist or paper. I don't have a favorite Twitter person. I literally get breaking news here and CNN alerts. Sadly the only time I watch the news is when tragedy strikes.

Oct 25, 2017
is it true that one of the victims tried to stop the shooter and even managed to tackle him into the ground but was shot dead? I wish we knew more about him than about the shooter

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Wellington Pride Parade postponed

This saddens me; I had the opportunity to march in one of the groups. But now is not the right time to celebrate.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
My heart goes out to those affected. As a muslim... as a human being, I'm hurt, I'm worried, and I'm angry. I looked at the comments cheering this massacre on in those deprived chan sites. I want to hate them, but I know they are coming from a place of fear themselves. They are so scared - its pitiful.

I pray, I really do, that this stops. I don't want to see retalitory attacks from extremist muslims either. Because hurting innocent people is never justified.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This comes on the heels of Tucker Carlson being exposed joking about genocide and saying they were "naughty things" that he wasn't going to apologize for.

Problem is this is both a heart issue and education issue. Escalating the fight is what the terrorist want. Need to starve the platforms. You don't starve the platforms by not talking about it (as Shapiro wants you to do). You starve the platforms by taking away their money. You take away their money by going after the corporations who advertise there.

There's not a single corporation who shouldn't be exposed for profiting off of the alt right. Nobody should be advertising on Tucker's show after his non apology joking about racism and genocide and not have to pay financially. No game publisher should shut up due to fear of alienating the alt right influencers and their supporters. They're only going to respond if it cost them money not to. Make sure it cost them money.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Gandhi pulled it off in India. MLK Jr. pulled it off here.

I think they're notable exceptions to the norm though.
How exactly has white supremacy and idealogy been defeated in the US? You do recall what happened to him right? Never mind that Gandhi in your other example, was fighting against colonialism and he wasn't the only one fighting back against British rule in India.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....eak-free-from-colonial-rule-a7409066.html?amp

Stating that Indian independence was solely gotten through Gandhi's peace movement, is to erase the hundreds who fought and died for decades prior to create the necessary conditions for Gandhi to succeed.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
The videos from 9/11 don't show the people inside dying in graphic detail. If this was a video of the outside of the building with just screams and gunshots sounding off, you bet it'd be plastered all over people's pages and news programs.
I think you quoted the wrong post, as I didn't mention anything about the video being posted or not. Personally, I think you can recognize the atrocity without watching the video (I haven't) out of empathy for the victims and their family. These killings shouldn't be glossed over and forgotten about but I've got no problem censoring the video to dissuade copycats and deny the killer fame.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking chavs were attacking some mosque in East London this afternoon, pricks. They came with hammers and knives.

year3255

Oct 25, 2018

depressed but not really surprised. white supremacy and indifference go hand in hand. brown (and non-white) lives matter less according to this ideology and this logic has always been an undercurrent in our society which helps justify colonialism, imperialism, wars for oils, etc. this is how millions of dead brown bodies happened under our tax money and many still didn't or don't care, or how the richest nations in the world, like the u.s,. produced the refugee crisis in countries like syria on honduras but takes in very little of the refugees -- meanwhile, 84% of those refugees went to poor developing countries for asylum.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Inalillahi wa inailaihi rajiun.

May those who died granted a peaceful rest and those who left behind given the strength to persevere.

Don't know what else to say... All these hate are so exhausting......

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good old "let's just not talk about him" and sweeping under the rug, all it's missing is lone wolf for the perfect conservative response.

Man these people are a fucking disease.
Shaprio's hypocracy is hilarious. But "Let's not publicize the killer" isn't really a conservative partisan response. I hear lefties call for the exact same thing all the time.

Dec 28, 2017
I just learned that this cunt went to see my old country and I assume he visited the places related to right wing propaganda about old rulers that were known to kill muslims. It's clear to me that this act it's religious motivate and he is a christian terrorist.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

You know what's fucked up is that we all share this sentiment. but the alt right uses it to mute the discussion on alt right radicalism and terrorism. When people say "the terrorist just wanted us to be divided and in chaos" they also can mean "dont talk about Pewdiepie, dont talk about the president, dont talk about white nationalism"

It's fucking hard to get people to see through this shit.