• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Every night on television:
"Muslims are coming here to replace your culture, drive you away, ruin your cities, and erase Christianity"

*Violence occurs against Muslims where shooter cites rhetoric from TV and the internet

Right wing figure heads:
"This has nothing to do with us! We don't condone violence! But friendly reminder again, Muslims don't really belong here. So if you don't wanna get shot again, probably best to leave"

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This sums it up pretty well. I'm not sure what the solution to the problem is though.

Stop making shitposting the norm? Its on us (and I really do mean on us) who spend a bulk of our time on the online space and kinda collectively shrug at it as if it doesn't start a rabbit hole. The culture of where it's celebrated to be an online dick is a relatively new one in the few decades we have had of the internet, we just need to call out the behavior every time we see it and don't take it at the 'lolz, jokes bro!' face value

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
You still don't really have a leg to stand on. You can't really pin this on one country as much as you'd like to for whatever reason.

And in the same token, you can't really ignore that American Social Media companies help exacerbate hatred simply for metrics. It's all involved.

I know what what's going on in the US, so I speak on that. Feel free to speak on other countries involvement as well if it bothers you that much.

Oct 30, 2017
THE MAN MURDERED 49 INNOCENT PEOPLE.
These folks care more about a fucking psychopathic murderer than his victims.
The compelling need to profile white killers is just disgusting. They spend exhaustive time trying to humanize these killers as extreme anomalies who were driven to evil. You'll never see the humanity of others portrayed. The victims? Doubtful.

I don't necessarily mind learning about these killer's backgrounds, but emphasizing their once good nature is just pointless at best, extremely harmful at worst.

Oct 27, 2017
Stop making shitposting the norm? Its on us (and I really do mean on us) who spend a bulk of our time on the online space and kinda collectively shrug at it as if it doesn't start a rabbit hole. The culture of where it's celebrated to be an online dick is a relatively new one in the few decades we have had of the internet, we just need to call out the behavior every time we see it and don't take it at the 'lolz, jokes bro!' face value

We do that on this forum, and it makes ERA a better place to post but it doesn't really seem to have much of an effect anywhere outside of here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Every night on television:
"Muslims are coming here to replace your culture, drive you away, ruin your cities, and erase Christianity"

*Violence occurs against Muslims where shooter cites rhetoric from TV and the internet

Right wing figure heads:
"This has nothing to do with us! We don't condone violence! But friendly reminder again, Muslims don't really belong here. So if you don't wanna get shot again, probably best to leave"

Thoughts and prayers to the victims. So sad. So sad. *turns page on desk* NEXT! The Senate passes a bi-partisan resolution stopping Trump from building his anti-immigrant wall. Is the Senate jihadist co-conspriators who hate America? Next we provide two assholes and one reasonable person to debate out just how treasonous our government is, stay tuned on Fox News

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And in the same token, you can't really ignore that American Social Media companies help exacerbate hatred simply for metrics. It's all involved.

I know what what's going on in the US, so I speak on that. Feel free to speak on other countries involvement as well if it bothers you that much.

I have and so have others but you just keep ignoring it.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
If they got shot with pretty much anything. This guy TRIPLE backed to his location hosing bullets into motionless bodies making sure everyone was dead using 3-10round volleys of rounds into everyone with aimed headshots and anchor shots. This goes beyond methodical. This fucking piece of shit wanted to make sure every single body he encountered was dead.

man i just can't take these details, like, i feel guilty and disrespectful in a way, but at what point is it okay for me to not want to know intimate details like this?

asking a serious question here... i want to talk about this just like everyone else but is it disrespectful of me to ask for people to not go into every move the shooter made? that makes my stomach turn, or should i know all that so i can better understand the situation and therefore stay in the conversation and hopefully be a constructive part of it?

i live in daytona beach and the pulse shooting hit me hard because orlando is like my backyard, also 49 people shot and killed, and hearing about everyone in town and on local news/radio, poring over the details, listening to 911 calls, reading peoples last word in text to their mom's saying how scared they were and didn't want to die... i just can't take it and it makes me not want to be a part of these conversations.

Should we be going into these kinds of details? is it important, is it not? Why or why not?

Sorry if this sounds like im being an asshole, i promise i'm not trying to do that, I'm just trying to process this and figure what the next best step is for me as it realtes to if theres anything i can do to make the world a little bit better place.... ugh, i hope all that came across alright

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
gee what possibly go wrong with the idea of posting government funded armed security outside of religious buildings? surely we can trust that all religions will be treated with fairness and respect and none of them will get massively preferential treatment
Let me clarify. The government will not get to choose or hire the security person. The govement will provide the money and the religious leaders of that place will hire who they want. Mosque and other religious buildings have to pay for security but that shouldn't be the case anymore if the Gov will cover that cost.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019

You think Russian or Chinese social media companies are any better? Vkontakte was literally taken over government to assist Russian war in Ukraine. This is such US centrist view....

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any official support fund (GoFundMe, etc.) going for survivors and families of victims?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
We need to call out these racist and hateful fuck heads for what they are. That entire Nazi conservative apparatus is responsible for this.

Not fully and explicitly denouncing it is being complicit and in agreement with the terrorists that have killed all these innocent people.

They're white ISIS. And they're actively trying to incite race wars
White isis is what I've been referring to this shit as for years. You're 100% right. Indoctrination of young susceptible minds through the internet. Fucking mind boggling we've reached this point

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I'm well aware that this stems alot further back from 2001, but my context is the modern era seeing as these event are 17 years removed compared to 1000+ years ago
Even in the modern era, steering anti Muslim sentiments has been the bread and butter of the far right since at least the 70s...

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Oh, I've seen it. You're just harping on me because I'm focused on the US. As if the country wasnt built on White Supremacy at the core.
I do agree that Racism against black people in the US is the special sort of fucked up (along with South Africa). But when it comes to Muslims other countries have done a lot of more fucked up shit.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I saw some posters thinking people were getting ahead of themselves posting the insipid way media reports white terrorists.
So here's the Daily Heil's take. Yep that is some humanising of this cunt
D1tVEMBWkAEvmqO.jpg

They will never admit that maybe they are the problems so they write these pieces to find everything else to blame instead.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It really makes you think. I've seen a few Shapiro videos, the usual "logic arguments". He comes off as a well-spoken and well-thought out person. Then I heard some of his views regarding Palestine, and I looked into it some more. Surprise surprise at what I found.

Yet kids and even more kids hang on to his videos and watch them all. It's more than a little scary.

Oct 27, 2017
I just read that the guy was praising Radovan Karadzic. Well, fuck me, how more blatant can you get.

It really makes you think. I've seen a few Shapiro videos, the usual "logic arguments". He comes off as a well-spoken and well-thought out person. Then I heard some of his views regarding Palestine, and I looked into it some more. Surprise surprise at what I found.

Yet kids and even more kids hang on to his videos and watch them all. It's more than a little scary.

As someone said, I don't remember if it was on this forum or twitter, Ben Shapiro is a dumb person's idea of an intelligent person.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
So I've been checking out what the Croatian media is saying about this.
They don't shy away from calling him a terrorist and an right-wing extremist, but they also can't help themselves and talk too much about him and his manifesto, focusing on the parts relevant to the Balkans.

And yeah, one of the sites is doing the Daily Mail shit and posting photos of him as a child. Fucking hell.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
You think Russian or Chinese social media companies are any better? Vkontakte was literally taken over government to assist Russian war in Ukraine. This is such US centrist view....
And now I know. So I will take time to read on their influence. Russian Gov completely highjacking a company sounds pretty apt.

Even in the modern era, steering anti Muslim sentiments has been the bread and butter of the far right since at least the 70s...
Forgive me since I wasn't even a thought during that time period. I'm under the impression that there was absolutely tension and involvement in the ME during that time, but that also came with "Islam isn't compatible with Western ideals" and "Radical Islamic" fearmongering?

If anything I thought media wasn't even reporting on Iran Contra etc because Americans simply didn't care about what was going on in the Middle East.

After 9/11 you had people literally signing up for service to extract revenge.

I do agree that Racism against black people in the US is the special sort of fucked up (along with South Africa). But when it comes to Muslims other countries have done a lot of more fucked up shit.

Muslims as whole always get represented by the worst of the group. And we have so media playing into Muslims being the "bad guys" simply for having a different culture. It's just so tiring.

Esp when those radical extremists are mainly killing Muslims in totality

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah exchanging one extreme for the other sure is a good evolution...

Wow, talk about "both siding" this debate. Glad you got banned. Far left are barely gun trotting hate groups that you see on the right. They are the ones that pushes harder for social equality and tackle social injustice.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ what a nightmare.

This is absolutely sickening on every possible level... including the reporting by certain outlets.

I seriously felt myself start to heave as soon as I read that Fox News bit. These people are fucking sick.

RIP to the victims.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We do that on this forum, and it makes ERA a better place to post but it doesn't really seem to have much of an effect anywhere outside of here.

"Political" shit posting, to be more specific, I think.

Shitposting about a video game in and of itself is probably completely harmless. But it's a different animal when it is political, Left or Right.

"The Kulaks deserved it!" is just as shitty and violence supporting edgy garbage as Pewdipie joking "Kill the jews!" Except the former is tolerated on supposed Leftist websites. Thankfully ERA tends to ban folks who do the former though.

Oct 30, 2017
Like the comment section of Twitter said, Ben Shapiro echoes and flames the grievances of angry white men online.
So when one goes and does something bad clearly inspired by the IDW, suddenly we can't talk about the killer, his manifesto, or any patterns of trends we notice.

The killer is not starving for fame. He's trying to eradicate a group of people. We should talk about that.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
man i just can't take these details, like, i feel guilty and disrespectful in a way, but at what point is it okay for me to not want to know intimate details like this?
I apologize if I was overly graphic. To me those details signify the sheer level of hatred on display and need to be ingrained into minds to show what it is everyone is up against. Its more than just someone took random shots at individuals. This was pure methodical hatred and evil on display and it needs to be known because its getting worse and its spreading.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Hate builds on hate. ISIS might do something now because of this and sick fucks reading his manifesto will get inspired by him when ISIS does something. There's now winner in this conflict. People that spout hate on an entire religion/civilization don't deserve a platform. Period.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

people think he's smart because of how fast he speaks

he's a fucking moron

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Take any of his videos and the first 5 or so minutes often seem reasonable and a queue for good discourse. But then when he actually gets into his point it's always "Here's how the secret society plans to subject us all to Sharia."

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Republican congressmen are on board with the "I get what the guy was going for, but..." messaging

We can't let them get away with this.

You can't say "they had a point, they just took it to the extreme" to a country of angry, white, gun owning right wingers without knowing it will normalize this shit. Fuck these scumbags.