• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 2, 2019
For the first time of my life (real talk), I went to see Trump twitter. I always thought people were exagerating when talking about it being a shit show. I don't take twitter that seriousely, but people were right about this.

He made one single tweet about the Christchurch shooting. One. Shortly after he made 4 long tweets about how Obama conspired against him and new evidences. How dumb do you have to be ?

I don't know the context, he might even be right about the Obama's conspiration for all I know and care, but the timing is so out of place and awful, that he must be doing this on purpose to anger people on social medias or provoked a tantrum in the medias. That, or he's crazy.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm sorry I have to get this out my chest.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK the media for not calling this a terrorist attack. I won't be surprised that in week the terrorist will be the victim of something. Fucking hypocrites.
Just checked our Austrian media and I'm glad they chose the right words:
20190315_150525e8k07.png

Not only terror, but "extreme right wing act of terror".

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
just have her call the local cops and they should be able to send a cruiser.

my local mosque has always had a cop parked outside who typically shows up early and helps guide traffic after prayer. i think its a good detterant.

Here (USA East Coast) the mosques we go to usually have one (or no) guards on normal prayers, but they have a cop or two on Friday gatherings or the big Eid gatherings.

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I can remember having armed security at every Synagogue I have attended since the 1970s. It's an unfortunate reality of the world we live in.

Yeah it hits extra hard when you realize this is the world your kids are going to inhabit.
I'm all for security. More security paid for by the government. Religious buildings should be protected like how government building are protected.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

Here we go, this shit will never end.

Ohhhh NO, ISIS is promising to commit a terrorist act, that's so unlike them. /s

So I just woke up and damn this thread blew up. Like whats the latest on this?
They had 4 people in custody the last time I heard, were there really 4 people who planned this out?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Also some Italian media reporting on this as terrorism, remarking on the fact that they also had the name of another piece of shit from Italy on a magazine. While I'm sure the right is ignoring all of this, we had this sort of terrorism in Italy decades ago after the war, so this rings a bell anyway.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
For the first time of my life (real talk), I went to see Trump twitter. I always thought people were exagerating when talking about it being a shit show. I don't take twitter that seriousely, but people were right about this.

He made one single tweet about the Christchurch shooting. One. Shortly after he made 4 long tweets about how Obama conspired against him and new evidences. How dumb do you have to be ?

I don't know the context, he might even be right about the Obama's conspiration for all I know and care, but the timing is so out of place and awful, that he must be doing this on purpose to anger people on social medias or provoked a tantrum in the medias. That, or he's crazy.

i'm guessing you came too late to the party to see his now deleted tweet signal boosting the alt right website whose story on this shooting had much support for the shooter in the comment section?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Please explain. I don't know what's wrong with holding those spewing hatred, bigotry, etc liable? We should be able to prosecute them.

I think the question is whose rules do we use and how does it apply. Lets say the New Zealand passes law saying its illegal to have any form of hate speech online without clearly defining what hate speech is. Now right wing Christians and fundamentalist Muslims can both say any talk of pro-life or pro-LGBTQ is hate speech to them. Russia will say any anti-Putin talk is hate speech. Zionists will say any anti-Israel speech is hate speech. You could literally end up with something like ERA banned in New Zealand because hate speech isn't clearly defined.

Ok, lets say you define hate speech as anything that incites violence against another group. Again, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to abuse that easily. There is a thread on the ERA front page about euthanasia. Some extreme pro lifers would consider that inciting violence against the elderly. I'm sure you can easily come up with tons more examples straight from ERA with a weird mindset towards getting the site banned in a "no hate" environment.

I'm sure there are ways to craft laws to get sites shut down when they are clearly hotbeds of violent radicalism but you have to think about it long and hard and do it right, just a knee jerk "LETS SHUT DOWN 8CHAN" movement would probably lead to some extremely bad laws that get abused and it becomes impossible to argue against moving ahead without thinking because the subject is so emotional.

You have to think about all the ways your laws can be abused by someone who doesn't think like you. Also laws that restrict freedom tend to get abused down the road against minorities by the majority, rather than help them - gun control for example started off in the USA as a way to suppress gun ownership by blacks, first passed by Ronald Reagan in 1960s California ironically (also happened 80+ years earlier in the South for the same reason). If you aren't careful any hate speech laws can be used by right wing groups to shut down criticism of them.

AaronWatermelon

Designer at Rocketwerkz
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so lost for words. What a fucked day. I'm so upset that people, beautiful people who've chosen to live here, or grew up here, that we couldn't keep them safe. You're conditioned growing up in New Zealand to appreciate how safe and remote we are, how far away we are from all the awful things in the world. My love goes out to the Muslim community, and everyone affected in Christchurch.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can vocalize my disgust without getting permanently banned.
This. I'm in shock. These scumbags are as low as anyone can sink to as a human being. So pointless, so disgusting. Something has to be done quickly before this brand of terrorism grows even larger than it already has. I know as least one asshole who is a deputy sheriff who self identifies privately as an alt-right. He post hateful shit on Instagram and Facebook, yet I know there's no way any of that would even faze his employers. Seems hopeless. Obama reminded us that progress doesn't always follow a straight path. I hope we can power through this.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They had 4 people in custody the last time I heard, were there really 4 people who planned this out?

There's no confirmation of anything like that; honestly don't think the other arrests will end up being related. Nothing about the manifesto or the video suggests he had accomplices. The arrests are normal as usually a few people get arrested on suspicion during these events, and other than that we have some video of 2 armed guys outside of a mosque but no confirmation it has anything to do with this and could be a hoax.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I hope society begin to starve out alt rightist group. We need to a far left candidate as the president of the United State to make real changes. All these moderates left candidates would pander a bit to the right.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018

Here we go, this shit will never end.

I honestly hope every member of that group, suffers and dies a horrible painful death. Garbage group using this tragedy as a chance to commit acts of terror. As if they care about the Muslims, fuckers killing Shia in Iraq and innocent people around the world

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Are people getting ahead of themselves thinking the news isn't calling him a terrorist without actually verifying that most news organizations are calling him one?

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, humanity, NOW can we do something about white supremacy?
Afraid not. It's just another normal day.

To paraphrase the alt right:
"This wouldn't happen if Muslims didn't live where they don't belong"
To paraphrase the alt right lite:
"This is bad but this is a natural reaction to the violence Muslims commit"
To paraphrase centrists:
"All violence is bad. I'm not particularly interested in engaging further using historical context or trying to find the root cause of these outbursts of violence."

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I just... don't wanna get into the nuances of who posts on 8chan and why they choose to do so. That ain't going to do anyone any good rn.

There's ways to deal with the problem of radicalization that aren't "arrest all potential radicals!"

Again, not to put pressure on you. But what are the ways to deal? Like what's the discussion we can push forward? Obviously arresting all potential radicals is facist post dystopia 101, but it seems we are on the side of where 'take nothing seriously, its just lulz/"economic anxiety" and things are getting seriously and we have no real solutions.

Like,(again not say thing is right because personally I think its wrong fucked up, and systemic white supremacy), most of the Western governments take a MUCH draconian view at radical progressives/anarchists as opposed to the right wing and one can make an argument that at least in the US from when you had groups like the Weathermen a true case of murderous violence from the left is extremely rare. Obviously that came with a payoff which imho is extreme and anti-democratic...various government and police groups in the US keep tabs on indisputably peaceful civil rights protestors the same way they would hardcore jihadists. But you can't dispute the effectiveness.

My thing is that we keep on saying not to demonize, to recognize free speech, but no real policies or controls are being put forth (and the ones that are is basically boil down to not societal, but shareholder pressure)

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is just horrific and fuck these people for doing this to innocents.

There's really going to be a need for legislation/laws at some point for hammering down on right wing activities and removing that platform from them, be it likes of YouTube or the media.

There needs to be change for these abhorrent acts to stop. It's inhumane. These people did not deserve their lives to be stolen.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
There's no confirmation of anything like that; honestly don't think the other arrests will end up being related. Nothing about the manifesto or the video suggests he had accomplices. The arrests are normal as usually a few people get arrested on suspicion during these events, and other than that we have some video of 2 armed guys outside of a mosque but no confirmation it has anything to do with this and could be a hoax.
Thanks, I thought the scumbag would have been dead by now or something. Hopefully he's been caught.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone else find it a bit gross that news sites like CNN, have articles about how potential future presidents of the United States are responding? Its like they are hoping one of them says something bad to stir up controversy. Cant we just mourn the dead for a few minutes?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
You know, the shooter, whatever, he's a piece of trash amongst a group of trash. (I'd use a stronger word, but I'm trying to reign in some of my anger)

What really, really, really pisses me off are the people jumping to his goddamn defense. I mean, are you even remotely serious right now? Like what? Someone please tell me I'm dreaming. How are sites like 4chan and 8chan even remotely allowed to exist and function fully when they're the breeding ground for people "respecting", goddamn RESPECTING this piece of crap.

It also just makes me really sad to think people like this truly do exist, even today, and even in these so called "first-world" countries.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird thing is, ISIS was responsible for a number of terrorism acts on mosques, some of which were in Saudi Arabia... Both on Shia and Sunni mosques.
They never cared about Muslims. Apart from their group, every other Muslim is fair game. They've killed tons.
They're showing off here. Almost comes off as "Only we can kill Muslims" to me.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird thing is, ISIS was responsible for a number of terrorist acts on mosques, some of which were in Saudi Arabia... Both on Shia and Sunni mosques.
They're a terrorist organization trying to capitalize on this tragedy in order to get in the news and stoke more Islamophobia. They don't actually care about Muslims outside of their own.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the fucking NRA, but she should be calling out white extremists. Everyone should. Shine a fucking flashlight at the rocks these cockroaches hide under.
It isn't her responsibility to do anything of the sort. It's already kinda silly that we spotlight her even when she's saying things dems have said a thousand times like this on the NRA.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely horrible. The fact that they are organized and syncranized shows that the war against terrorists has been just as difficult as it was when 911 happened.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Weird thing is, ISIS was responsible for a number of terrorism acts on mosques, some of which were in Saudi Arabia... Both on Shia and Sunni mosques.
ISIS has killed more Muslims than any other religious group, they're garbage just trying to get attention.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Even when the terror is in New Zealand......

America is still strangely in the center around this...

American Right Wing Ideology and Hate Speech fueling this psychotic attack.

American tech companies allowing this rehtoric to spread 100% unchecked because it generates their income off an active and hateful userbase.

American White Supremacy ideals being adopted by foreign nation's populace in solidarity...

American Bigotry against Islam and Muslims exported globally since 2001...

No matter what, America is always involved and relevant to violence and hatred that takes place on a global scale.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
If you want to shutdown sites like 4CHAN and 8CHAN go there to preach extremist Islamic views and recruitment. It seems white nationalist extremist views can somehow fly under the radar.