• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You guys really set yourselves for disappointment by expecting a sensible plot / writing from "sexy animu" games. So glad I'm not into this stuff.

I mean there's sensible and then there's down right disrespectful.

I don't think anyone was expecting them to triple down on their transphobia.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man what the fuck? I loved Erica. There were times where she was handled fine, with Vincent and the others being close with her and seemingly embracing who she was. But then there were moments like Vincent saying shit like "I'd appreciate this advice more from a woman" and of course Toby wanting his stupid "v-card" back.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Atlus, maybe read your feedback sometime? There was a very clear learning experience that you clearly missed and now you're going to get your face rubbed in it. You might consider how you deal with the US release carefully.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened in P3? I just played through it last summer and I don't remember there being anything on the level of P5.
The beach secene where the guys are trying to get laid ends with the only girls interested in them being trans. Of course all the guys freak out and the game paints the trans girls as men. It is thankfully absent from the FeMC route in Persona 3 Portable.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I know it shouldn't surprise me, you unfortunately see it every day, but it does still baffle me a bit every time I think about how these are multiple games entirety about "breaking free of society's pressures... but not for those marginalized people", with seemingly 0 sense of understanding of what they're doing.
Right?? And like in Persona 4 they fuck it up with their main characters even.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this just a Japanese cultural thing? Like how blackface is still a culturally accepted depiction of black people in drawings?

It's not a Japan thing, it's an everywhere thing. The Hangover Part II was just eight years ago and the transgender jokes would infuriate Era if the movie came out today, and this is just one example.

And a Japanese reality TV show from last year called REA(L)OVE had a transgender woman in it and was pretty progressive about it. In every culture, some people are more familiar with these issues than others, but the world as a whole is still just not too familiar with these things, even America. ResetEra is a progressive bubble.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to see them triple down on the transphobic BS. And the fact that they're a Japanese company doesn't excuse them, because there's been some fairly respectful trans rep like from Zombieland Saga and The Missing. Whoever pulls some weight as far as writing goes seems to really love shitting on LGBT+ stuff.

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
This is an Atlus exclusive problem. Other Japanese game companies don't have this issue.
Eh....it's unfortunately pretty common for any game that actually has transgender characters.

Edit: Updating since I can't name any examples. It is true that there's plenty of other Japanese game companies who don't have this problem.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't have malicious intent behind this, how hard would it have been to get in contact with a transwoman and run your ideas by them? Shit is just sociopathic at this point. Trash writers and trash people.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The beach secene where the guys are trying to get laid ends with the only girls interested in them being trans. Of course all the guys freak out and the game paints the trans girls as men. It is thankfully absent from the FeMC route in Persona 3 Portable.

Oh geez, you're right. I don't know how I forgot about that.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
They're from a country where nobody cares about these issues.
If they still want to sell their games globally, they need to pretend that they fucking care by apologizing and not doing it again. Or they are not getting my business anymore.

FeMC is the best route continues to be confirmed.

Ever since the PSP version came out I've never gone back to MC.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
The Orientalism in this thread...

Wandering Son, Super Paper Mario, Zombieland Saga... All have told trans stories/characters well. Different works from different media. This isn't about Japan, this is about Hashino being a POS and not getting the callout he deserves from ATLUS. You don't see this shit in SMTIV, you don't see this shit in TMS#FE.

Hashino is the dude that said you couldn't have female friends. Hashino is the dude that said a girl going back to her rural city didn't make sense. Hashino told it was.not worth it to make a female protagonist. He's the POS, not Japan.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's over. Too many free passes as it is. I fucking loved their games, man... it's genuinely frustrating.

But I just can't do it anymore.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really framed as making her 'happier' in that reality? If so, that's horrible. It's like the Luka thing in Steins;Gate, which kind of makes sense, but made infinitely worse by adding that detail to it.

Luka's a fucking mess too, but at least I came out of that chapter thinking that they tried, y'know? I guess it's not my place to extend that praise, and that first scene with them sure fucking sucked, but I felt like they at least were trying to tell a sympathetic story even if the gender stuff became a bit of a bizarre mess.

In comparison, this is on an entirely different level of ignorant bullshit.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I won't be buying anymore games from Atlus until they show that they can depict LGBTQ issues and characters with respect.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If they still want to sell their games globally, they need to pretend that they fucking care by apologizing and not doing it again. Or they are not getting my business anymore.

FeMC is the best route continues to be confirmed.

Ever since the PSP version came out I've never gone back to MC.
What if they go the CDPR route and apologize "if you were offended"? What happens then?

sorry.png

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, when they go back in time, do they still make Rin gay, or "fix" Rin by turning hims straight?
The goal of this ending apparently is that the character gets to be with their lover as a Gay Man rather than a woman.

This was probably done to attempt Gay relationships in their games only that they traded in their trans character and implied the transition made her "miserable" to my understanding

Jaguar King

Oct 25, 2017
And now you guys know why Atlus do these kinda of stuff, I have always been vocal about it, they just don't give a fuck about anything. they do whatever the fuck they want without appalling anyone.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
honestly asking which ones. Cause I haven't heard or seen this in other games other than just stereotypes.
To be honest, I can't name any off the top of my head...but I can't really think of other games that really get into the subject either. My general memory is that it's generally been bad when the subject comes up (I know that's not good reasoning without specific examples).

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I can imagine the tone deaf conversation that decided it now.

"Hm, people didn't like our gay jokes in Persona..."
"Let's make one of our next characters gay... Hrm, there's the Catherine rerelease."
"Oh yeah and I know just the character!"

-_-

To be honest, fuck whoever decided this. We all knew this game would be ridiculously transphobic going into it but little did we know it wouldn't be because of Qatherine....

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The goal of this ending apparently is that the character gets to be with their lover as a Gay Man rather than a woman.

This was probably done to attempt Gay relationships in their games only that they traded in their trans character and implied the transition made her "miserable" to my understanding

The sad part is they probably see themselves as doing a good thing in this regards.

"See, we made this person comfortable with their homosexuality instead of becoming a freak instead! :D "

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
i said this in the import OT and i'll say it again

fuckin' yeeeeeeesh

waiting for the defense force

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Right?? And like in Persona 4 they fuck it up with their main characters even.

People's reaction and praise of Persona 4 convinced them that they could tackle these social issues... which they obviously can't. You'll notice that any of the *actual* SMT games don't have these problems, even Apocalypse which was clearly aiming for a younger Persona audience.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
I'm actually fucking crying right now because I'm so fucking furious that they keep doing this shit. I need to calm down.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I can't believe we hit the lowest point of this kind of shit in gaming in fucking 2019!

By the way, one of the best trans representation I've seen in gaming is from a Japanese game that came out last year. Japan isn't the problem, it's Atlus.
JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Orientalism in this thread...

Wandering Son, Super Paper Mario, Zombieland Saga... All have told trans stories/characters well. Different works from different media. This isn't about Japan, this is about Hashino being a POS and not getting the callout he deserves from ATLUS. You don't see this shit in SMTIV, you don't see this shit in TMS#FE.

Hashino is the dude that said you couldn't have female friends. Hashino is the dude that said a girl going back to her rural city didn't make sense. Hashino told it was.not worth it to make a female protagonist. He's the POS, not Japan.

I really hope he sticks to Project Re Fantasy and doesn't direct the next Persona, I feel like he needs to work on games with settings far removed from the real world after stuff like this, if he should be allowed to continue directing at all

No idea if the Persona 2 and P3P writers are still at Atlus but I'd love it if they could take over the Persona series in particular

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
People's reaction and praise of Persona 4 convinced them that they could tackle these social issues... which they obviously can't.

People had some real blinders on when it came to Persona 4, because a weirdly large number of people came away from it thinking Kanji was supposed to be gay and Naoto was supposed to be trans, even though the game beats you over the head that that's not the case.