• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018

Adjacent to MSN Music, was a small team in the next hallway. They were working on a gaming platform which was launching later that year called Xbox. One of my first experiences with video games was with a Sears Video Arcade, a rebranded Atari 2600, that my Mom bought us. From the moment I saw those blocky pixels on the screen and the 8-bit beeps and bloops I became an avid gamer. So, being at Microsoft while this new platform was being created so close by was fascinating. I would hear snippets about Xbox: A game demo, a hardware schematic or logos. I wanted to be part of the team that launched this product. It felt like everything I had worked on, everything I believed in, everything had come together to bring me to that moment in time.

As I think about the past twenty years (which went so fast!), I have to say this: This version of the company is the best one I've seen. It's incredible. Last month, in my conversation with Phil Spencer, he spoke about where we are going in the years ahead. I know some details about some of these projects and, well, I am wildly excited about the future of Xbox.

So, here we are.

Twenty years. I remember the first day my wife and I moved into our home in Washington. I came home from work to an empty house that still smelled like paint. We had moved 2,954 miles away and the moving truck hadn't arrived yet. We were eating Chinese take-out. I looked at my wife sitting cross-legged on the floor across from me and asked, "Well, what do you think? Did we make a good decision?" She smiled and said, "I think the best things we've ever done are going to happen here."

Twenty years at Microsoft, three gaming platforms and one three year-old daughter later, she was absolutely right.

As usual.

Joined MS in 2001 (MSN Music), joined Xbox in 2003.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I like Larry :) Feel like Microsoft still has some persons we know connected to the customer while Nintendo and Sony are a bit more disconnected from me.

He and Spencer are amazing to have at Xbox what it is today

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Always seemed like a cool person, and down-to-earth enough to make time for fans, as well
A24ZRmq.gif

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Having worked at an old company, this dude gives off that "old guy who don't give a shit and ain't about to help you but is friendly with the boss" energy.

Wavves

Oct 27, 2017
Larry is one of the best guys to represent the video game industry. Got to play a game against him once at a con and met him afterwards. Great dude and always nice to everyone. Congrats on the milestone Major.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. How they managed the reveal of Series S leak was legendary! Thanks for all you've done majornelson .

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes good old Major "we can't just flip a switch" Nelson.
How he survived the xbox one era sure is an accomplishment.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I remember in the 360 days his blog updates were pretty pleasant to read, but I feel like I haven't heard much from or about him in the last like five years.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, I like Larry. I sort of associate him with the 360 era and it's probably one of my favorite consoles.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Congrats, Larry! Really nice guy.

Absolutely worth to check his weekly video series where he chats about video games in general and all things Xbox on YouTube. It evolved from his podcast. It's super chill.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way he carried water for the Mattrick regime's BS was kind of crazy, but it was probably his only choice if he wanted to stay with the company.
The spectacular hypocrisy on his face at the final moment....

Falsehood in a GIF
If I had to make endless excuses for the early Xbox One strategy, I would've been cracking up more than that.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Congratulations majornelson .

As someone who has not changed employer for all 18 years of my career so far, through all the highs and lows, I think I can understand how challenging and committed your journey has been. I'm still not sure if I can pull the big 2-0 off, but stories like yours give me strength. :)

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Falsehood in a GIF
It's a funny gif, but honestly, this is most people after posing for a photograph... Especially when doing it all day for PR.

I definitely like the dude, I also have fond memories of the 360 days and I enjoy his podcast these days, especially whenever Phil is around.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to listen to his podcasts a lot when E and that lady, lollipop I believe, were there, but they both left and I stopped then.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Congrats to the Major, it has been a wild ride with lots of rough eras where he got a lot of crap by being one of the faces, happy for him that he gets to be part of the good xbox times now.

Falsehood in a GIF
It's easy to judge after looking at something like that but you can't know what sort of day he was having, maybe he was extremely tired after a long day or he just had a glance at one of his socials and saw a bunch of vile messages towards him.

May 25, 2019
London
While I feel like he's mostly doing the Inside videos now, he was such a key part of the 360 being so popular. His blog was the first time I really remember having a direct source of news for a platform. It predated Twitter's rise and use for that purpose. I remember scoping out his blog for an update when the Halo 3 beta wouldn't launch in Crackdown in 2007. Even my more casual gaming friends knew who he was and would check the blog and listen to the podcast.

Congrats Larry, 20 years is an accomplishment.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Congrats Larry, You've done a great job of linking Xbox with it's users consistently and have been an approachable figurehead unlike what Sony/Nintendo offer.

Hope you carry on for many more years!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
While I feel like he's mostly doing the Inside videos now, he was such a key part of the 360 being so popular. His blog was the first time I really remember having a direct source of news for a platform. It predated Twitter's rise and use for that purpose. I remember scoping out his blog for an update when the Halo 3 beta wouldn't launch in Crackdown in 2007. Even my more casual gaming friends knew who he was and would check the blog and listen to the podcast.

Congrats Larry, 20 years is an accomplishment.

It was actually his blog that made me aware of Twitter!

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I see Larry, I can't not think back to that arrogant response he made to Angry Joe when asked why always on can't be turned off. What an egg in the face