• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 30, 2018
The websites are endemic of problems that run far deeper than the platforms they inhabit. If you nuke it sure you'll cut some off, but many will just move to the next thing just like the people who moved from 4chan to 8chan and 8chan to wherever else.

These places should be nuked from orbit, but we need to address the caustic underpinnings that cause these incidents in the first place. Lax gun laws, a deeply broken culture, entire generations that have nothing to find for meaning or connection. Instead now where people like that existed but were insulated, they have platforms to connect with the masses that agree that life is, ultimately, meaningless and empty. Which radicalizes and fosters this kind of banal view of "some people aren't people" which, despite their deeply held nihilism is an intentional conditioning technique.

They go to the alt-right and ethnonationalism because it allows them to recondition their internal empathy and the things in their brains that non-sociopathic people have that tell them "murder is bad". If these people, aren't people, then they aren't doing anything wrong. It's just a game, they're just shooting "monsters" not human beings with families and loved ones and hopes and dreams.

White Ethnic nationalism is going to be a force in the coming years as a push back against multiculturalism

Trump's election and all these shooters is just the beginning. These guys are the dregs of society who have nothing to lose

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm going to repeat this endlessly until mods either respond or ban me.

Reverse your policy of allowing discussion of THQ Nordic games until literally everyone involved in the 8chan AMA is fired. No more half measures because people want to talk about Mah Vidya Games.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids growing up entirely on the internet are coming of age and this is what they are.
Because we had NO IDEA that the internet, that "posting" would turn into this bubble that people use to insulate themselves from the active reality that they recognize.

The world does suck, things are getting worse, late capitalism is in fact killing us all for absolutely nothing. But they've insulated and created an environment where caring is for stupid people and empathy to go out and change things in any meaningful way is impossible, so sit back and watch the world burn and maybe kill some people yourself while you're at it. Why not? It's fun, it gives you something to do, it gives you an ever fleeting meaning.

People simply were not ready for this level of insular communication, especially not at this point in world history, where everything is on the precipice of total collapse held together by duct tape and hope.

Tamati Hemi

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
New Zealand
As a foreigner living in Christchurch, I find this so sad. Christchurch is such an accepting city for all cultures and these past few hours have been so unbelievable.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This should be an obvious tip, but don't ever cold search any shooting incidents on Twitter as they happen, unless you are truly prepared to see awful shit.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will happen to PDP

But its clear that these are signals to alt rights to rally around him. The subreddit needs to be fucking cleaned up

The fact that they can get children to shield them is disgusting. The problem is, no one is having this discussion

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reverse your policy of allowing discussion of THQ Nordic games until literally everyone involved in the 8chan AMA is fired. No more half measures because people want to talk about Mah Vidya Games.
i mean i posted on gaming side in that thq thread but nobody responded yet. But yeah. That company just helped signal boost a mass murdering site.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Anyone read the manifesto yet? I am about halfway through and frankly am disturbed by how self aware it comes across and how deeply mired in US politics he is.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to 'NewsTalk ZB' via tunein radio. They're reporting another shooting at a school.

Link to the stream: http://tun.in/seH01

Ah fuck no.

How about you fuck off with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean I'm glad this particular rats nest may get blown up but what makes 8chan so special again? There are dozens if not hundreds of [blank] Chan websites. Are the servers on 8chan particularly secure or something?
It's just the culture of that site and the people it attracts. It's largely built around people who were considered too shitty by 4chan standards.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
It is a meme. Like most of his manifesto, the dude knew how to hit the right points on getting the media's attention.

And this is not related to the disgusting act that happened. Who PewDiePie is doesn't matter to why the lunatic terrorist shot up a mosque, the deranged man chose that path with or without PewDiePie's "psychotic fanbase" influences.

I get playing devils advocate but seriously dude PDP does nothing but harbour this shit. The fact the meme has been destructive in society multiple times and now involved in a terrorist action doesn't mean anything to you?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids growing up entirely on the internet are coming of age and this is what they are.
This is exactly the same pattern as the 17 yr old far right white supremacist that shot up the Black Church in US I'm 2017, raised entirely on the internet.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a meme. Like most of his manifesto, the dude knew how to hit the right points on getting the media's attention.

And this is not related to the disgusting act that happened. Who PewDiePie is doesn't matter to why the lunatic terrorist shot up a mosque, the deranged man chose that path with or without PewDiePie's "psychotic fanbase" influences.
can you go somewhere else with this shit. it's exhausting

Juzzomac

Oct 27, 2017
And then you just sat there and watched it all?
i didn't watch it? 1 second of seeing a guy exit a vehicle with a gun was enough for me to nope out of the app.

Not sure why you're coming at me for when I was just trying to demonstrate how easy it was to unintentionally view footage.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that pisses me off about this is how accessible this right wing white nationalist media is.

It's a rabbit hole that gets you deeper and deeper until you start committing mass shootings. It's radicalization in broad daylight and no one gives a shit.

And those associated in the rabbit hole object only when implicated from these events. They're okay talking about how "the West" is being besieged by an enemy, but the moment someone takes that rhetoric into action, it's suddenly a "I would NEVER condone such a thing!" and other forms of cognitive weasel games.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
....because i wana see footage....? Anytime there has been a major shooting i always seek the footage, its not out of pleasure

You're already banned but for anyone else reading this requesting a murder video like it's a cam of the Avengers trailer is in terrible taste. Watch it if you have the stomach/want to be traumatized but don't make others do your leg work.

Stuffs sick. If these were my friends or family getting killed on camera I wouldn't want video of their deaths to be traded around on the internet like its unfortunately being.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
it's worth repeating: don't share the video, don't share the manifesto, don't look for his social media accounts. these attacks can be contagious and we need to be responsible.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
And those associated in the rabbit hole object only when implicated from these events. They're okay talking about how "the West" is being besieged by an enemy, but the moment someone takes that rhetoric into action, it's suddenly a "I would NEVER condone such a thing!" and other forms of cognitive weasel games.
Yup. It's all so fucked.

radian8

Oct 25, 2017
He aha te mea nui o te ao. He tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata
Which means - What is the most important thing in the world? It is people, it is people, it is people.
This is not who we are in NZ.