• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I hate it. I haven't played VIIR or XV because I don't like what I've seen of the battle systems. If I want to play a button mashing action game, I'll play an action game. I don't play Final Fantasy to be playing a shitty hack and slash game. I want a RPG. I would honestly pay double for a version of XVI with the battle system and all the monsters removed so I could just go through the world and go from plot point to plot point. Final Fantasy just isn't for me anymore.

And if I wanted to play Devil May Cry, I would play Devil May Cry. I don't like hack and slash action games. I don't want to play fucking Devil May Cry. I want a Final fucking Fantasy.
VII R is not a button masher and is actually much closer to the original VII gameplay than not.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone would genuinely suggest all action games are "mindless," especially since one could apply the label to anything from Dynasty Warriors to DMC to Dark Souls, which all play radically different, from their pacing to how they challenge the player.

But the reality is action broadly requires different skill-sets to turn-based/command-based games, and pivoting the franchise to character action is inevitably going to alienate a lot of established fans as a result.

Broadly speaking, command-based games, whether turn-based or a hybrid like ATB, allow the player room to think and deliberate on their tactics or approach, while action-based games -- especially of the sort that XVI looks like it could be -- require reflexive input.

That's fair...I get being disappointed that a series no longer provides the type of experience that it once did. That said, I guess I just take umbrage with people saying that action combat is inherently bad...

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Couldn't have been happier with the combat system of FFVIIR. Hope it becomes the basis going forward.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
High key i think 4 years from now, maybe even less theres gonna be some major pushback against action rpgs as they turn more and more into just straight up character action games in the same vein as resident evil. If this basically turns into something akin to DMC than people are gonna ask the question of what is a final fantasy game? Is it this? Are we sure turn based games dont sell? And so on

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
They are trying new stuff so thats good. I have a feeling this will be the best Final Fantasy of the last 20 years.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As long as the combat is fun, the story is good, and the characters are engaging I'm fine with any direction FF goes in.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I can deal as long as it looks more fluid than what they showed and if they make items and status effects more relevant than they were in 7R. I absolutely adore that game, but wish they were much more mean in encounters and forced you to do things that weren't just attacks and heal HP in battle.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Like I mentioned in another thread...

If they go action, go full on DMC/Neir Automata action and fully commit to it, not 1 button combos that give you the illusion you're a badass without the actual effort (like FFXV).
If they go strategy, commit to strategic play like FFXII.

Even better if they gave you a choice between the two. I just don't want watered down action or dumbed down strategy... whatever they decide to do.

Last edited:

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I want party members....that's all I ask

I might be in the minority on hoping FF stays less actiony these days. There are games like DMC5 or Nier to play if people want to action games....

That said, I am extremely happy with FF16 as it has FF12's lineage :)

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Something I wanted for a long time, but I think FF7R absolutely nailed the balance between action and turn based so I'm curious how it will play out here. I think rpg mechanics tend to hamper action games but I would like to be wrong.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Dunno, I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed FFXIII-2 battle mechanics as well as FFVIIR - I don't know why they wanted to steer away from that.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I will always miss the turn based combat the series sued to have, but I'm glad they (seemingly) decided to go full action. It's a lot better than waffling between what they want combat to be.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I really enjoyed the FF7 Remake combat and I thought it was a superb modernization of FF combat. It is 'turn based' at heart.
Detested FF15 combat though.

We will see once we have more details... I'm covered though with FF7 part 2 and 3 (I'm suspecting it's a trilogy).

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Disappointed but not surprised. I thought with Nomura and Kitase busy with FF7 this might of had a chance to go turn-based, but Square wants to chase CoD and Assassin's Creed numbers, so kind of hard to justify turn-based stuff. I feel in love with the series as turn-based rpgs, so I'll always want it to be that.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
i think peeps are getting waaaay ahead of themselves, and it's likely gonna be closer to Kingdom Hearts.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Final Fantasy will always be about turn based combat to me. Making it action means I no longer have any interest in the series. While we're at it, let's also go back to 2d sprites.

kosmickitten

Jul 2, 2019
I'm sad. I love ATB and am sad to see it gone from the series. I'm not saying it won't be a fun game, with great combat, because I'm sure it will. And I know I'll love it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
FF7R's battle system is like, the best out of any FF game, so I'm bummed that they're not using it or something similar here

FFXV's combat really sucked, so I fear this will just be more of that

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Not sure why everyone assumes there won't be party members just yet since we can see someone fighting alongside the MC in the trailer. Still could be a guest character but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I like turn based combat but I prefer action based combat by a mile, sometimes while playing turn-based games by brain will go into autopilot spamming attack or the occasional magic attack for whatever elemental weakness the enemy has.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't like it exactly but after FF7 I think I could get into it. XV's combat was really weak but 7R's really made me confident that Square Enix could pull off action that feels decent. It had a lot of quirks but the potential is there. Also it sounds like one of Devil May Cry's old battle planners is now at SE so, yup.

I'd rather it turn based just because I like high budget turn based games every once and a while. If I only have Dragon Quest to rely on though it won't be so bad. But I'd like more variety than that. Like their settings going from futuristic and sometimes old school, I'd love if they go back to it someday but I think once the trigger got pulled, they don't want to go back.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
My personal take on it is that if it's a combat system I like, it doesn't matter. I don't think I have had a preference either way. XV was bad and VIIr showed that it can be done. And if this is like Devil May Cry, heck yeah.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I hate it. I haven't played VIIR or XV because I don't like what I've seen of the battle systems. If I want to play a button mashing action game, I'll play an action game. I don't play Final Fantasy to be playing a shitty hack and slash game. I want a RPG. I would honestly pay double for a version of XVI with the battle system and all the monsters removed so I could just go through the world and go from plot point to plot point. Final Fantasy just isn't for me anymore.

And if I wanted to play Devil May Cry, I would play Devil May Cry. I don't like hack and slash action games. I don't want to play fucking Devil May Cry. I want a Final fucking Fantasy.

You should really play 7r.

Vagrant717

Nov 12, 2019
If 16 goes the action route, there should be an option that allows for a more tactical approach with the whole party. 7R has problems but it at least got that right with it's pause menu to issue commands.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping it's something somewhat hybrid like VIIR has. I don't want just full action. We have a ton of action games; why does FF need to be one too?

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who actually enjoyed ARPG, I'm beyond disappointed that SE straights up abandon turn-based, especially as they already have popular ARPG IPs, and all the other recent FF's have been ARPG. EVERY fucking game that isn't on Switch or mobile or named Dragon Quest is an ARPG.

FUCK

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I liked where FF7 Remake was going. I really hoped that FF16 would go back to its roots and be more turn based.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't use this video as a guide since there was no UI. Might still be action-turn-based like FF7R.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am perfectly fine with it as long as it is well designed. Any system can be good as long as the design is intentional and well realized.

Given that the combat designer for this game worked on DMCV there is basically no reason at all for me to be concerned at this point.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

It's already looking good in my opinion

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
For me the implications of a character-action focus are what im mixed on. I love party mechanics and systems you have to really mess around with and learn. Managing, organizing, and coordinating a party is one of my favorite things in jrpgs. With a character-action game you really only control one character with the trade-off being more complex moment to moment inputs. It's asking you for completely different skills.

I adore games like DMC5, Bayonetta, KH2 and 3, etc, but I don't feel like I am under-served by that genre.

One of my favorite aspects of FF (and jrpgs) are the parties of memorable characters you play with and watch grow. I'm a bit wary that this game has seemingly focused so heavily on single character gameplay. But we know almost nothing about the game and im sure we will be surprised as more info is revealed.

Other than that i think 16 looks fucking amazing.

Its also interesting tk note that 7R's combat is almost a perfect realization of the old turn based system in an action context. The design of each mechanic, and the way they interlock with each other, is incredibly well realized.

Last edited:

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
FF has has always changed up how it plays. They might be on more of an action kick now, but that could always change in the future. You'll have a bunch of people complaining about that change after FF gets it's established fans of the action style. Sure I might have a preference towards ATB and turn based. I grew up with them after all. But I enjoy action based and have been playing a decent amount of them lately. As long as the mechanics, story, and music are good, I think I'll be happy.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I wonder how long until they poach someone from Bungie and make a Final Fantasy shooter to right the wrongs of Dirge of Cerberus?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good so I don't mind. I also wouldn't mind an interesting turn-based or normal jrpg system, but I think this stands out more.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
You should really play 7r.

Even if it wasn't an action game, I still probably wouldn't play VIIR because of the break mechanic. I hate RPGs that have break mechanics as part of their battle system. It's nothing but an excuse to make enemies into damage sponges. It's the main reason I haven't played Ocotopath Traveler yet, either.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Even if it wasn't an action game, I still probably wouldn't play VIIR because of the break mechanic. I hate RPGs that have break mechanics as part of their battle system. It's nothing but an excuse to make enemies into damage sponges. It's the main reason I haven't played Ocotopath Traveler yet, either.

Someone in the last page or two said it's the best battle system FF's ever had.

They might be right. I mean it's your call, but you're really missing out on a really good battle system that feels like an ATB turn-based strategic combat system.