• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 18, 2020
Seems to be unfounded anyway, but an actor with more of Joel's "quiet sociopath" energy would probably be a better fit unless they plan to diverge a lot from the games.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I like Idris Elba. I would have been excited for that casting pick. However, I am already attached to the idea of Mahershala Ali. I think he is a top-tier actor. He could bring a lot of pathos to Joel. I really hope this is real.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what that means. What strengths does television have over Naughty Dog's already heavily cinematic style of direction? Is the strength just having weekly cliffhangers? You already lose out on the depth the games offer by the additional dialog and lore items found throughout the environment. Not to mention the general length of the game allowing for more immersion with the characters vs 9 hours of screenplay chunked up on TV.

With games you have frequent combat encounters that you have to account for, that's something that just isn't going to happen with a TV show. There's obviously still going to be action, but it's not going to be anything like the games. But those combat sections a huge part of the game. So, if those are being pulled out then it means something is going to have to replace them. In which case the obvious thing would be more down time with dialog and character development. The pacing and structure of a TV show is inherently going to be very different than a game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
These threads always drive me wild. "I've never seen Ali in a role exactly like this so therefore I'm not sure this super talented, multi award winning actor has the chops to pull off a video game adaptation"
It's funny because all the praise you ever see about someone like Gary Oldman is that he is a chameleon and blend into literally any kind of role. So why can't Ali also do that?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Man, I'd watch it in a heartbeat.

An issue I've had with translating Naughty Dog's narrative-heavy games to film/screen is how you'd see so few NEW things in that transition. You can easily map it all 1:1 from the way the games look to a movie/TV show... so doing something like casting Joel as someone who doesn't look just like the character but can still represent fatherhood and the "f**k you, got mine" ending is a cool way to keep it fresh.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
170px-Troy_baker_taiyoucon_2011_cropped.jpg

Look at how non-world-weary this person is—could never be Joel.
What's interesting is that Troy has said that he almost walked out of the audition for Joel because in the waiting room were a bunch of guys that were older and looked like they could play Joel, and he wasn't confident that he was right for the part. He just got up to leave when his name was called.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is really damn cool if it's true and ends up happening.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
See. He is one of - truly - the best actors ever conceived. Like he's utterly incredible in everything he's ever been and Naughty Dog (and the fans) should be grateful his agent even took the call on this.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Seems to be unfounded anyway, but an actor with more of Joel's "quiet sociopath" energy would probably be a better fit unless they plan to diverge a lot from the games.
If they do, seems like a missed opportunity to just diverge from the Joel and Ellie story and craft a new cast. But I guess that's what everyone wanted to begin with...

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
This would be amazing. He's an incredible actor that would get a lot more people than just fans interested in the show. But oh boy the fucking racist gamers will be bitching and moaning. But fuck them.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like too high profile of an actor for the job. Maybe HBO is going all in on the project. That could be cool.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
People thinking a tv adaptation, even a game accurate one, is going to spend entire episodes making sure we understand how they use scissor blades and tape to craft shit are in for a rude awakening.

Like, most game movies are terrible because they try to come up with some random story they think is better than the game's and then wink at game mechanics throughout. Focus on a good adaptation of the existing story first and the rest is icing on the cake.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is getting a lot of work these days.

I am fine with it, but I was hoping for Hugh Jackman.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even sure what that means. What strengths does television have over Naughty Dog's already heavily cinematic style of direction? Is the strength just having weekly cliffhangers? You already lose out on the depth the games offer by the additional dialog and lore items found throughout the environment. Not to mention the general length of the game allowing for more immersion with the characters vs 9 hours of screenplay chunked up on TV.

....what?

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if this is going to be a one and done mini series of sort?
I think he might be too occupied playing Blade in the coming years to film multiple seasons of an adaptation.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if this is going to be a one and done mini series of sort?
I think he might be too occupied playing Blade in the coming years to film multiple seasons of an adaptation.

I mean I figure if the show goes well once it starts then the likely adaptation of the second game would be coming.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I think someone can be optimistic for the role, and still be disappointed that a character in their favorite videogame isn't a visual match on-screen. I don't think that necessarily makes someone racist (even though plenty of racists will use that excuse). Honestly, something like this just means we need more diversity in videogames.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of why I don't believe this, because he seems too big to take a part like this to me...

He's an incredible actor but I don't see how he's above a prestige HBO series, even one about a video game. His star (sadly for reasons we can all guess) isn't quite that bright yet. He's done two major tv series roles in the last 2-3 years.

Nov 16, 2017
The only reason I hesitate on this casting is the absolute shit that will be spewed Ali's way. "Fans" couldn't handle it when one of the female characters had some muscle definition. Their reaction to a black man in the lead role will probably be worse.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I think someone can be optimistic for the role, and still be disappointed that a character in their favorite videogame isn't a visual match on-screen. I don't think that necessarily makes someone racist (even though plenty of racists will use that excuse). Honestly, something like this just means we need more diversity in videogames.

On the other hand, why compromise the potential quality of a character's representation of their personality/tonal execution over appearance?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm

I'm interested. This was unexpected but I think it's actually pretty great casting.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

Hollywood does what Naughty Dog don't.😂 Better be true. Love Mahershala as an actor.

On a serious note, I am worried of the implications of this considering the fate of Joel in Part 2 and ND's approach/treatment of black/african-american/POC characters in their games in the past. Will the HBO show change some of the events that occured in the first TLOU to avoid it? 🤔

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be monumentally bad casting if it turns out to be true. Mahershala is a great actor but is about as far away from Joel's energy and grit as I can imagine. Viggo Mortenson or Idris Elba or Nikolaj or someone of that ilk would be FAR better.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me to watch that movie he was in that won an oscar for best film. I only know he's a father in the movie and nothing else. (Moonlight something)