• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
This is devastating. Couldn't find an existing thread.

www.aljazeera.com

At least 1,000 killed after strong earthquake jolts Afghanistan

At least 1,000 killed after magnitude 5.9 earthquake rocked remote parts of Afghanistan and neighbouring Pakistan.

The death toll from a powerful earthquake in Afghanistan has climbed to 1,000, with more than 1,500 others wounded, according to the Taliban's the Culture and Information Department, as rescuers try to reach the site of the disaster in remote Paktika and Khost provinces.

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) said the magnitude of the earthquake in the early hours of Wednesday was 5.9, revising an initial estimate at 6.1. The epicentre of the tremor was about 46km (27 miles) from the city of Khost, near the Pakistani border, the USGS said.

"People are digging grave after grave," said Muhammad Amin Huzaifa, head of the Information and Culture Department in hard-hit Paktika.

"It is raining also, and all houses are destroyed. People are still trapped under the rubble," he told journalists.

Earlier, interior ministry official Salahuddin Ayubi earlier said the death toll was likely to rise "as some of the villages are in remote areas in the mountains and it will take some time to collect details".

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Holy shit, absolutely horrible. Living in a country that regularly gets earthquakes means my own view is often skewed in regards of how lethal can earthquakes be in other countries that aren't used to them.

I can only hope the death toll doesn't get *too* high šŸ˜ž

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, that death toll is shocking. Absolutely horrible.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What the fuck?! I don't think I've ever seen such a high number of deaths from an earthquake. That's horrible.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Awful.

Remember reading about a quake in Pakistan a few years ago and the homes weren't structurally robust enough so loads collapsed leading to a tragically high death toll.

Hoping those affected get help ASAP without any bullshit.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The article mentions that the last earthquakes with similar effects happened in 2002 and 1998 so it seems too infrequent to prepare for but extremely bad when it happens. Terrible times

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck?! I don't think I've ever seen such a high number of deaths from an earthquake. That's horrible.
The 2015 earthquake in Nepal was really terrible, too. Wikipedia says ~9000 dead and ~22,000 injured. When it's finally counted here, this may be comparable, sadly. I feel so bad for the Afghan people, who've been through so much.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The article mentions that the last earthquakes with similar effects happened in 2002 and 1998 so it seems too infrequent to prepare for but extremely bad when it happens. Terrible times
yeah a country like Japan regularly gets worse earthquakes, but because of this they have way better earthquake infrastructure and so the damage is way less. but when they're rare it's harder to justify tbat level of preparation and so the damage is way worse each time it does happen

Donation Fund

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a fund that's been quickly set up by the organization Islamic Relief if you want to donate:

www.islamic-relief.org.uk

Afghanistan Emergency Appeal

Millions of people in Afghanistan are struggling to put food on the table due to droughts, ongoing political insecurity & conflict. Donate now to save lives.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Terrible toll and you have to worry about the Taliban allowing aid to be delivered quickly, effectively and fairly.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajioun.

America can help by releasing the funds it stole from Afghan people. The country is on the verge of collapse, if not already.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a quake in the 70s in China that killed a quarter of a million. Haiti was around that number (though I think most was after the quake)

Two European cities were destroyed in the early 20th century, turkey routinely gets 20k+ quakes, San Francisco killed thousands.

Earthquakes and landslides are easily the most deadly natural disaster "events" (famines are worse but take place over long periods).

They're also relatively easy to engineer for (at least deathwise) but only a few places have good and enforced codes (Japan, Taiwan, west coast US, NZ, Chile and mexico post 85) even rich places like Greece and Italy don't have the best infrastructure. And lots of on paper codes are ineffective because of corruption and lack of enforcement (turkey, China)

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I wish the media would better differentiate magnitude (total energy released) vs intensity (effects felt) the latter is far not important as a shallow 6.2 near loose ground can be far more deadly than a 7.5 that's deep in solid beadrock)

Lots of these quakes in poorer countries hit people so hard because they're on loose alluvium that liquifies and basically acts like water during a quake which greatly multiplies the intensity

Oct 27, 2017
Inna lillah wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

All this while Afghanistan are being oppressed by Taliban and the US (who should release the damn fund). Afghanistan desperately needed them months ago and they need them more than ever now.