• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The hard part about doing an autopsy on Standard is that it got murdered like a year and a half ago and people have just been running up and dumping poison, gasoline, and lit matches on the body ever since.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
IF that is what this turns into then yeah I agree it will be entirely justified. Maybe it's just a one off thing for fans of both properties?

Not everything is the Hasbro execs rubbing their paws with dollar signs in their eyes. Maro already said they can do a functional reprint if for some unknown reason there was further demand for these cards. Idk this feels really nothingburger-y to me, I'd rather get mad about other things.

Like PD still existing (presumably).
Not sure where I accused Hasbro executives of "rubbing their paws with dollar signs in their eyes."

Maro's answer is irrelevant to the concerns stated. It also assumes that; 1 - cards can be freely reprinted at any time, when in reality they will need to take time to slot them into products or sets that have not yet finished development and to which the cards would be appropriate at the cost of other cards, and 2 - functional reprints are the same as true reprints, which they are not.

People are angry because it is essential that this type of product be cut off immediately. It is a precedent that we cannot allow Wizards to set. We can't "wait and see if maybe this is just a one-off thing", because not expressing these concerns now will guarantee that it won't be a one-off thing.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
. If Legacy and Commander don't play these cards (and they likely won't) then what does it matter that you can't get them.

You're dead wrong here. As I said earlier, Negan is immediately the go-to commander for aristocrats strategies in Mardu colors. I have a deck like that with Queen Marchesa at the helm, and I don't cast her most games. Negan would be way way better.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Finished up my Arena Drafts (ZNR's Draft format is actually a lot of fun) and taking a break from Magic for a while. Jumped into unranked Standard for a few games just to try out a fun Kicker deck I built, last game ended with opponent dropping Dryad into Omnath. They played Cultivate off Omnath mana just to put some more lands into play and passed. On my turn I was able to remove both creatures with Seagate Stormcaller and a kicked Bloodchief's Thirst ... which didn't matter at all because they then just dropped Ugin and wiped the board. Can't deal with Ugin without putting stuff on the board, but Ugin prevents me from putting stuff on the board, so ... 🤷‍♀️

Omnath and Lotus Cobra need to go, but then Adventures is the new best deck, so Mystic Clover needs to go too. Get rid of Embercleave, because the way it completely invalidates blocking is dumb. Get rid of Ugin. Then with all of those gone, Drown in the Loch might need to go too, because with the "unfair" threats gone 2 CMC 'Counter target spell or destroy target creature' might be a bit much with how easily UB Rogues can turn it on, and UB Rogues will be more than fine without it anyway. Would that fix things? Probably not. What's really needed is a significant change in card design philosophy. Stop printing cards that throw out free spells and free mana. Stop printing cards that invalidate parts of the game. Stop printing threats that do everything and can't be efficiently interacted with. Stop stapling card draw and life gain onto cards that don't need them.

I don't even know who I'm ranting to at this point. I really hope Wizards turns things around - I just don't see them successfully doing so any time soon.

Secret Lair - The Walking Dead - Glenn, the Voice of Calm

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
New TWD cards were revealed, a Walker token and Glenn, the Voice of Calm.

The cards themselves:

glenn.png

Walker2.png

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Glen seems pretty good, especially for commander (which is where I imagine this is almost solely developed for).

Throw an sword on him for protection, and or place him in an esper or azorius control shell, and you'll be able to find more answers.

Or alternatively, Bant for a sudden green pump spell, somewhat similar to the Lightning butt dino from commander 2020.

No haste/ETB triggers, though.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I'd build Glenn as 'combat tricks tribal' if it were a real Magic card.

And there are already whispers that Glenn might be playable in Legacy Stoneblade.

What a shitshow.

Last edited:

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a fun card. It's a shame Secret Lairs aren't available outside NA and Europe, so this is a double middle finger for the rest of the world. This, plus the mess Standard is in, is pushing me away from the game.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The notion that nobody would play these cards in commander at least is ridiculous - both Negan and Glenn are commanders that would be fun as fuck to build, LOTS of people agree. it's super shit.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, it looks like Glenn is being seriously considered for Legacy Humans decks. So yeah, that didn't take long.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it feel to me like a lot of Magic's problems are related to Hasbro's financial goals for the game, and not directly WotC's ability to design a game they've been great at making for 20+ years?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dear WotC,

This is a very, very bad road to be walking down. Can't stop this train from leaving the station, but it's time to close the tracks and reevaluate future departures.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
People blame Hasbro for a lot of things Magic has done, but this is a case where it's extremely clear cut that they're behind this. They see dollar signs in making licensed Magic products the same way they do with Monopoly.

I assume part of the license was that people would be able to play these cards in normal tournaments, only using the licensed versions. MaRo talking about how they could print normal Magic versions later, but there aren't any ways to do that scheduled, makes me think it's more that they can't until the deal expires.

Oct 25, 2017
There are ways to do this. Like, how about an MCU themed silver border draftable set? That would be interesting. But black border crossovers? No thanks. I'm out.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wonder if maybe Secret Lair sales were down a bit? I barely know how they work, though.

This is all pretty disheartening to read. I've been loving Arena for about a year now, but the community around the game has been nothing but vitriol that has continued to build toward WOTC in that time. I questioned whether it was justified for some time, but now I'm starting to come around. Really disappointing.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder if maybe Secret Lair sales were down a bit? I barely know how they work, though.

This is all pretty disheartening to read. I've been loving Arena for about a year now, but the community around the game has been nothing but vitriol that has continued to build toward WOTC in that time. I questioned whether it was justified for some time, but now I'm starting to come around. Really disappointing.
I think it's more that Hasbro's other products have been having a hard time, especially after Toys R Us shutting down in the US. Magic has been a bright spot, and Hasbro wants to take advantage of it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to see if there's anyone interested in drafting (probably ZNR for starters) on an external site and then playing the games out on arena, so we can pod draft. It would probably cost you a couple wildcards per draft if you don't own the rares/mythics you pick/play.
I put it up on the discord but I'm not sure everyone checks it out so here's the poll :
[Hidden content]
I made a spreadsheet for people who are interested. Posting it before the world ends with ban announcement, will probably bump it later :P
[Hidden content]
Last bump for this, there's 7 of us right now so we're close to being able to reliably make full pods, would be nice
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'm gonna re-iterate I would have been fine with Black-Bordered crossovers as long as a "normal" Magic name exists for the card (like Godzilla/Zilortha)!
Same. The biggest problem is that these cards can't be reprinted due to the licensing issues.

Like I don't like the idea of Magic becoming just a bunch of advertisements for other products, but at least that's a lot further away than the possibility of what is basically a new reserved list.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Same. The biggest problem is that these cards can't be reprinted due to the licensing issues.

Like I don't like the idea of Magic becoming just a bunch of advertisements for other products, but at least that's a lot further away than the possibility of what is basically a new reserved list.

My issue is, if they print functionally identical cards in a set like they claim they can, do they ban the TWD versions, or make them the same card a la the Godzilla prints? It's just messy no matter how you slice it.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
My issue is, if they print functionally identical cards in a set like they claim they can, do they ban the TWD versions, or make them the same card a la the Godzilla prints? It's just messy no matter how you slice it.
Godzilla is a weird case where the Godzilla versions are really just alternate art and the "canon" versions have the real names and whatnot. But functional reprints have been a thing for a long time. Llanowar Elves and Fyndhorn Elves come to mind: I'm not sure which ones came first, but they're both named after a location, and well, when they moved to a different location for a different expansion but still wanted a mana dork, they just put a different name on 'em and called it good. There have been formats where this meant you could essentially play eight copies: so be it. They're different cards, legally speaking.

These days they've gotten better about using more generic names for cards they think they'll want to reprint in more sets, but for a while functional reprints were not uncommon. Those aren't the only pair that have existed: I'm sure people with better memories could come up with more.

I just looked up a list. It's pretty generous (it doesn't consider changes to type, which can matter), but there's a lot of stuff on there. One good example I liked is Divination's predecessor: Counsel of the Soratami, from Champions of Kamigawa. That's a name I'm glad they genericized!

If they decide they want to print functionally identical versions of the TWD cards, they can just do it with new names, no big deal. If people start running eight copies, maybe they then decide to ban the TWD versions. But there's no need to go Godzilla and make them "alt art, this is the same card for Pithing Needle purposes, etc."

Functional reprints are a thing. They're no big deal. I don't see how it needs to be any messier than Fyndhorn Elves or Divination were.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Godzilla is a weird case where the Godzilla versions are really just alternate art and the "canon" versions have the real names and whatnot. But functional reprints have been a thing for a long time. Llanowar Elves and Fyndhorn Elves come to mind: I'm not sure which ones came first, but they're both named after a location, and well, when they moved to a different location for a different expansion but still wanted a mana dork, they just put a different name on 'em and called it good. There have been formats where this meant you could essentially play eight copies: so be it. They're different cards, legally speaking.

These days they've gotten better about using more generic names for cards they think they'll want to reprint in more sets, but for a while functional reprints were not uncommon. Those aren't the only pair that have existed: I'm sure people with better memories could come up with more.

I just looked up a list. It's pretty generous (it doesn't consider changes to type, which can matter), but there's a lot of stuff on there. One good example I liked is Divination's predecessor: Counsel of the Soratami, from Champions of Kamigawa. That's a name I'm glad they genericized!

If they decide they want to print functionally identical versions of the TWD cards, they can just do it with new names, no big deal. If people start running eight copies, maybe they then decide to ban the TWD versions. But there's no need to go Godzilla and make them "alt art, this is the same card for Pithing Needle purposes, etc."

Functional reprints are a thing. They're no big deal. I don't see how it needs to be any messier than Fyndhorn Elves or Divination were.
Llanowar came first in Alpha, Fyndhorn in Ice Age. And the difference here is Llanowar and Fyndhorn were common in full on printed expansion sets, with hundreds of thousands if not millions of copies distributed. Not really the same thing at all.

I know what a functional reprint is and yes, they've been doing it for many, many years. And your point is probably fine for a format like Commander. But Legacy? My issue is that if any of these cards end up GOOD, like really really GOOD, and they decide to reprint it but with a more in-universe Magic name, then decks can potentially play way more copies or diversify by name to avoid things like Surgical Extraction. Plus the more rare, original incredibly LIMITED PRINTING version will command a stupidly high price tag. It's a bad look and bad feels all around the longer we go away from the original printing. So I disagree that it's "no big deal" as someone who wants something like Legacy to be a more accessible and affordable format.

Not to mention it sets a precedent for doing something like this in the future, especially if nothing here is that powerful and the release looks "safe". And then maybe, when they do the Strixhaven Harry Potter tie in cards, or whatever is next whenever they do more of these, there's the potential that they print something absolutely bonkers broken. They've already shown they can't get Standard right, why would they put supplemental cards for eternal formats through a rigorous balancing process? Yeah making these legendary creatures helps a little bit, but I still think it's really dangerous.

Look at something like Mana Crypt. A weird book-order card that had a super stupidly low limited print run still costs a ton of money after a buttload of recent reprintings because it's insanely playable in a popular format. We're going back to this style of card distribution and future price setup? And it's no big deal? Really?

They really should have just made them silver border. Jesus what a stupid fucking move this is.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even for commander, a functional reprint is still leaving the person without the TWD versions with half as many copies of the card. functional reprints are not a solution.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
stole omnath with robber of the rich and casted it on 4 generic

feels just
I've definitely done that.

Now the one I had to laugh at was that today my Robber of the Rich stole enough pieces out of a poor mill deck that I was just casually out-milling it with stuff I was casting with excess mana (though unsurprisingly still won through damage in the end.)

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
They could retroactively change these cards so they function the same as the Godzilla cards, like, have a card in Kaldheim named "Frey, the voice of Calm" and have that be the "canon" name for the card.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They could retroactively change these cards so they function the same as the Godzilla cards, like, have a card in Kaldheim named "Frey, the voice of Calm" and have that be the "canon" name for the card.
Yeah, that's what i'm hoping for honestly.

onpoint is going to be pissed if they're stealing Norse mythology wholesale lol
Wouldn't be any different than Theros and Eldrane I guess, though I disliked how they did both of those as well. It's simply unoriginal. Give me New Phyrexia and Dominaria over those watered down "inspired by" sets any day.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be any different than Theros and Eldrane I guess, though I disliked how they did both of those as well. It's simply unoriginal. Give me New Phyrexia and Dominaria over those watered down "inspired by" sets any day.
I so badly wanted Theros to be where Emrakul was. Using Nyx as a trap for it and messing up everyone's dreams leading to a mix of Greek Myth and Eldritch Horror instead of what we ended up getting which was just straight up Lovecraft and a Greek Myth set that was much less interesting than the original.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I so badly wanted Theros to be where Emrakul was. Using Nyx as a trap for it and messing up everyone's dreams leading to a mix of Greek Myth and Eldritch Horror instead of what we ended up getting which was just straight up Lovecraft and a Greek Myth set that was much less interesting than the original.
Boy I would have loved that.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I was supposed to dump $7K on a collection today and didn't because of the whole TWD fiasco. Unless WOTC comes out and fixes its shit I'll probably be selling my whole collection because this is not what I want from the game. Standard bans, poor foils (pringles), extreme product output and more were all pretty bad already but this is the staw that broke the camel's back for a lot of collectors/players, me included.

Magic Story - The Two Guardians
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Episode 5: The Two Guardians

Nahiri, Nissa, and Jace face off in the Singing City with the fate of Zendikar at stake.

* Nissa summons tons of elementals, including water elementals (so still blue), overwhelming Nahiri.
* Nahiri wonders if this really is the plane of Zendikar coming to her side. Regardless, she's fighting for the old, true, Zendikar.
* The elementals are attacking Jace too, but he figures fighting back won't help his case, so he distracts them with illusions.
* Nahiri makes a stone fortress, but Jace got in while it was forming. He talks to Nahiri, but she traps him with hedrons (Nahiri's Binding).
* Unlike the card, Jace can still activate abilities and distracts Nahiri with an image of Sorin appearing and attacking.
* Jace is freed and mentally attacks Nahiri, taking the Lithoform Core from her.
* He runs out of the ruins with it, before Nahiri can regain control, but then is pinned down by Ashaya, who gives the Core to Nissa.

* Jace tries to convince Nissa to take it to Ravnica, but she's convinced it could destroy that plane.
* The Core speaks to Nissa with the same feeling as Zendikar itself. It's an old piece of Zendikar itself, formed by the ancient Kor into something that can undo damage.
* Nissa fears she'll destroy things again, but the Core tells her to trust herself. She imagines a Zendikar that's still wild and dangerous, but healed from the wounds of the Eldrazi.
* Nissa uses it, flattening the ruins and seemingly killing the elementals around them, but they soon rise up again, healthier. All around the plane, places corrupted the by Eldrazi have been purified and plants quickly grow there again.
* The Core is completely inert now.
* Jace tells Nahiri that Nissa was right, but she goes fuck you, you're my enemy now, and planeswalks away.
* Plants quickly grow in the destroyed ruins, just like what happens after a Roil.
* Jace thinks he needs to repair his friendship with Nissa.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really? I've gotten nothing but encouragement, so if you feel like it's too much, I'll hold back on posting every once in a while.

Maybe at least put some text in the posts along with the video to engage with. I'm not going to go to youtube for reactions (which is a universal thing, I'm sure your videos are great), so having more content in the post that I can actually engage with would be more helpful.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Jace is the only one who did anything right (and they are really playing up his "mind powers are total mental assault").
Yeah, have to agree. Nissa is an idiot in this story as well. I wish they'd write characters with compelling-yet-conflicting motivations who act intelligently, but we so often get only one, or sometimes neither. It's so hard to care about what any of them do when they always act like they're written by a high school student.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I've gotten nothing but encouragement, so if you feel like it's too much, I'll hold back on posting every once in a while.
My feedback would be to make it less about sharing the content and more about contributing to the discussion here (where possible, obviously). For instance, your thoughts on the TWD cards. You could summarize your thoughts and say: "You can see my full thoughts here." or something like that.

This isn't meant to backseat modding either. I don't mind either way, really. Just feedback.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
TWD being new cards seems like a really bad idea on Wizards. I mean they literally just stopped making buy a box promos new cards and made them alt art instead.

I hate TWD so this secret lair is a definite skip either way.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The shitty thing is that this really is a fomo situation - unless Wizards reverses course (Which seems unlikely), even if you don't like it, it's gonna be worth a pretty penny for the cards themselves.

I couuld maaaybe see wizards reprinting these functionally later on, but there's no guarantee.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Maro says they're listening:

Blogatog

Hi Mark, saw you didn't post yesterday. I hope you're just taking a breather from social media (I don't blame you!) and that you're doing well. When a lot of people have things to say, I tend to use...

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Maro says they're listening:

Blogatog

Hi Mark, saw you didn't post yesterday. I hope you're just taking a breather from social media (I don't blame you!) and that you're doing well. When a lot of people have things to say, I tend to use...

If it sells like hotcakes (it will) and the backlash isn't big enough to reduce sales of the next products, I'm sure shareholders won't care and print as many crossover cards as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.