• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

This streamer has four preview cards. It's been more than 40 minutes, and the second card hasn't come yet.

Is this Egoraptor? Sounds exactly like him, and the same exact style of 'humor' in his videos. Pretty hilarious if it's some random guy who decided to completely rip off a YouTuber's personality.

UB Flash/ Rogues seems like it might be an interesting deck after rotation, I doubt it's anywhere near being competitive (losing Brineborn Cutthroat is going to be rough) but Merfolk Windrobber and Zareth San are really cool additions, and it's interesting that Windrobber cares about the same "opponent has 8 or more cards in graveyard" theme as Thieve's Guild Enforcer. I thought Enforcer was kind of a weird card, it's going to be nearly impossible to mill someone out with its ability unless you have three or four or them on the battlefield, and at that point it doesn't really make sense to play black in a mill deck. But if there's more cards like Zareth that let you mess around with your opponent's graveyard it could be a fun deck.

I always think it's really cool to see that old cards were subtle foreshadowing of things to come. Cunning Nightbonder being a Rogue didn't really mean anything when Ikoria came out. When Enforcer was printed in M21 it was an interesting little synergy with both Nightbonder and Brazen Borrower. Now we find out all of these cards were seeding a Rogues deck.

Last edited:

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Does this serve as the overall OT for MtG?

Just played my first few matches (is that the right term for a round of MtG?) on arena and love the game. The tutorial isn't great so I still have no idea what I am doing but I am having fun!

That said, I dislike that Arena doesn't allow me to support my local game shop. If I wanted to get a couple of premade decks so many wife and I could learn the game, how would one do that? There is so much much product out there that it is a bit confusing.

Either way I'd love to learn more about the game and maybe play some casual matches with folks. :)

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this serve as the overall OT for MtG?

Just played my first few matches (is that the right term for a round of MtG?) on arena and love the game. The tutorial isn't great so I still have no idea what I am doing but I am having fun!

That said, I dislike that Arena doesn't allow me to support my local game shop. If I wanted to get a couple of premade decks so many wife and I could learn the game, how would one do that? There is so much much product out there that it is a bit confusing.

Either way I'd love to learn more about the game and maybe play some casual matches with folks. :)

you can buy Magic 2021 Planeswalker decks. they're 60 card premade decks and contain cards from the newest set plus a code you can redeem on arena. another option might be buying jumpstart booster packs. you just need to get two to make one 40 card deck (so at least 4 booster packs for you both to play) and they come in themes like angels, goblins, etc. that you can continue to mix and match.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
you can buy Magic 2021 Planeswalker decks. they're 60 card premade decks and contain cards from the newest set plus a code you can redeem on arena. another option might be buying jumpstart booster packs. you just need to get two to make one 40 card deck (so at least 4 booster packs for you both to play) and they come in themes like angels, goblins, etc. that you can continue to mix and match.

Thanks! I will grab some plainswalker decks and play this weekend. :)

Akoum Hellhound; Skyclave Apparition; Expeditions
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
hellhoundofakoum.png

Hellhound of Akoum - R
Creature - Elemental Dog
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Hellhound of Akoum gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
0/1

It's red Steppe Lynx!

unknown.png

This is a big improvement over the usual Banisher Priest effect, since nowadays a ton of power is tied up in ETB abilities, which the token won't have. Plus, the old trick is back! While the Apparition's enters the battlefield ability is on the stack, you can flicker/sacrifice/etc. it. This will put the leaves the battlefield ability on the stack and it resolves first. With no exiled card, it does nothing. Then the ETB ability resolves and you exile an opponent's card with no chance of them getting anything back!

And here are some more Expeditions, in Japanese
www.izzetmtgnews.com

『ゼンディカーの夜明け』新カード情報:エクスペディションに《天界の列柱》、《露天鉱床》、《燃え柳の木立ち》などが収録

日本時間の9月2日、各種情報ソースより9月25日に発売する通常セット『ゼンディカーの夜明け』に収録されるカード…

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I'm just excited for the Modal Lands so far. It'll open up more aggressive decks beyond just single colors. I love playing my Gruul decks but the mana sucks. I've given up playing slower decks with Uro running rampant.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

This is a big improvement over the usual Banisher Priest effect, since nowadays a ton of power is tied up in ETB abilities, which the token won't have. Plus, the old trick is back! While the Apparition's enters the battlefield ability is on the stack, you can flicker/sacrifice/etc. it. This will put the leaves the battlefield ability on the stack and it resolves first. With no exiled card, it does nothing. Then the ETB ability resolves and you exile an opponent's card with no chance of them getting anything back!
[/QUOTE]
I love this card. I love this card a lot.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Modal dual lands seem fine enough, but it still looks like aggro will need to be mostly mono color for standard.

Looking better in historic at least, I'll be glad to stop playing those temples. It'll be interesting to find the proper ratio of modals to checks to run along with the shocks.

Skyclave Cleric; Umara Wizard
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
200901104443233_u54.jpg

"Elk-Rider Cleric" -1W
Creature - Kor Cleric
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you gain 2 life.
1/3
//
"Elk-Rider Land"
Land
CARDNAME enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add W.

Eg5LPAbUYAEXzLH.png:large
Eg5LPnOVoAEnssq.png:large

It's still hard to get a sense of how strong these are.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
so far in my bronze brain only the red and black spell/land cards seem somewhat playable

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The uncos will probably all be mediocre but still playable as they're better than a topdeck land.
Except the black one that's imo quite weak. Terrible topdeck, not very good on curve play.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
They're probably all playable in the right control shells and probably all unplayable for aggro.

This is my expert analysis based on Control usually having tons of do-nothing turns to sneak out a CPT land and aggro rarely being able to afford it unless they're already at the point where they're effectively praying for a top-deck miracle. Mixed bag for ramp but probably somewhat playable, likely unplayable for midrange decks trying to run 3+ colors.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some great announcements yesterday and moves in the right direction IMO. I like the sets outlined for next year. DnD crossover as a reskinned Core Set sounds like a smart move, plus the enemy fetches being reprinted in Modern Horizons 2 at rare (same price as MH1) is excellent. Just wishing we weren't bouncing between so many planes recently, it really kills my interest in the story and makes it harder to stay interested flavor wise and the fact the story has mostly been sidelined since WAR. Was hopping to return to New Phyrexia again soon, but looks like we're left waiting still...

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Zendikar Debut and Announcement Day Recap | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

In case you missed today's airing of the Zendikar Rising and 2020 Announcement Day stream, we have everything you missed right here!
First up, Time Spiral Remastered is coming in 2021. This new way to experience Time Spiral will feature fan favorites from the beloved set as well as cards printed with the old border, for all of us long-time fans out there.

It's going to be a set condensing the entire block into one draftable set. Some Modern frame only cards will be on the timeshifted sheet with old school frames.
en_rAuLRUnGav.png
That old border Chalice of the Void looks SO GOOD.

I wonder if they can do planeswalkers with old borders lol

Into the Roil; Synchronized Spellcraft; Anticognition

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I kinda hate the Party mechanic. Outside of Limited it seems very bad and even parasitic.

On another note, Into the Roil reprint has been confirmed. Sweet!

HnmRHLQ.jpg

Into the Roil {1}{U}

Instant

Kicker {1}{U} (You may pay an additional {1}{U} as you cast this spell.)
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. If this spell was kicked, draw a card.

Also this one:
bTvmEfe.jpg

"Cooperative Pyrotechnics" {4}{R}

Instant

"Cooperative Pyrotechnics" deals 4 damage to target creature and X damage to that creature's controller, where X is equal to the number of creatures in your party. (Your party consists of up to one each of Cleric, Rogue, Warrior, and Wizard.)
We also have this new counter for mill strategies

DPe4tAY.png

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
whoa kaza is gonna tear shit up in commander

i guess its not crazy cuz its a tap ability but still seems potentially scary

Prowling Felidar; Deadly Alliance; Ravager's Mace; Thwart the Grave; Swarm Shambler; Nighthawk Scavenger; Practiced Tactics; Zof Consumption; Taborax, Hope's Demise; Expedition Skulker; Umara Mystic; Dauntless Survivor; Maul of the Skyclaves
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Eg6GjCOXkAALrFu.png:large
Eg6GjCXWsAAff3a.png:large

image0.png

This seems good, even with no party members in Limited.

Eg7GFltXsAAywQh

Seems like every equipment attaches on enter in this set.

Eg7G-phXkAE44zm

Looks good

Eg63miwX0AInqVz.png

Between the commons in the Gavin video and this, we're seeing a lot of +1/+1 counters matter cards.

unknown.png

Vampire Nighthawk but it Tarmogoyfs your opponent's graveyard. Note that just one card in the graveyard is needed to match Vampire Nighthawk.

unknown.png

Party Tactics (?) - W
Instant
CARDNAME deals X damage to target attacking or blocking creature, where X is twice the number of creatures in your party.

unknown.png

Devouring of Zof (?) - 4BB
Sorcery
Each opponent loses 4 life and you gain 4 life.
/
(Tapped Land)

Eg7XKESWkAAcPGs.png

Seems good.

Eg7XJowXgAMcI-y.png
Eg7XKXGXkAMc6KX.png
Eg7XJMTWkAATh5q.png

Middle one is strictly better Wee Dragonauts

Eg7atxHVoAInZOE.png
Eg7atxHVoAAl6S2.png

Seems really good

Spikefield Hazard
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Eg7hah-UcAAYfc4
Eg7hZ1kUYAAPVgz

Falling Stalactite (?) - R
Instant
CARDNAME deals 1 damage to any target. If a permanent dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.
/
(Tapped Land)

Note that if you use this on Uro when it's cast from the hand, it still gets exiled. Seems pretty playable.

Magic Story - In the Heart of the Skyclave
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read this yet, but we're finally getting web stories again!
magic.wizards.com

Episode 1: In the Heart of the Skyclave | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Across Zendikar, millennia-old ruins have risen into the air. Called Skyclaves, they contain powerful artifacts created by the ancient kor. It's time for the planeswalker Nahiri to make her move . . .

Will post a summary later.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ashaya + Blood Moon will turn all your creatures into Mountain creatures with no abilities. */* is undefined and thus set to 0/0, killing Ashaya.

If Ashaya has a +1/+1 counter to keep it alive, you have a bunch of Mountain creatures with no abilities other than Tap: Add R. Even though Ashaya lost the Forest ability, Blood Moon's effect applies after it, so it still applies.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Is Maul of the Skyclaves gonna be good enough to play with Stoneforge Mystic?

Haven't read this yet, but we're finally getting web stories again!
magic.wizards.com

Across Zendikar, millennia-old ruins have risen into the air. Called Skyclaves, they contain powerful artifacts created by the ancient kor. It's time for the planeswalker Nahiri to make her move . . .

Will post a summary later.

A.T. Greenblatt is great! I thought it was odd they didn't mention the author for the web stories yesterday, which worried me that they might be going back to in-house writers.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Making equipment auto attach is a great, they may actually be standard playable. They don't seem stupid op yet, but we will see what else gets printed.

gemrazer is still gonna be a 4of in anything green.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
deatht200 asked:
Will it be like innistrad where there is a dedicated DFC slot or will they be in random spots?
The Zendikar Rising draft boosters have a dedicated MDFC slot.

September 02, 2020

natew000 asked:
Was there internal debate about whether to make DFCs that don't transform?
There was. Short version of the story: We created MDFCs when we designed the original TDFCs in Innistrad. I've waited years to find the right place to use them. Once I found it, there was some resistance to the idea. I formed an exploratory team to design some cards. We tested them. They tested great. I was allowed to make them.

September 01, 2020

thiccwaffleman asked:
I am loving Zendikar Rising so far, but the completionist in me needs an equal number of four color commanders for each four color combo. Will we be getting other four color commanders in planned sets? Or is Omnath just kinda out here because it can be?
Omnath is one of a kind.

September 01, 2020

andreylabanca asked:
Why Confounding Conundrum is not white? Ok... bounce... but its a bounce effect with a tax attached.
Blue is second in taxing and first in bounce.

September 01, 2020

ehksidian asked:
Hey Mark! Super happy to see the preview stream today - I was wondering if you had any trivia for why you decided to not bring Traps back for Z3ndikar, since they didn't appear in the mechanics highlight?
Only so much space. We did design some in vision design. I'll be showing them off in my vision design handoff.

September 01, 2020

ehksidian asked:
On Kaldheim, I'm surprised that's getting a set with that name! I remember you saying you had difficulty with Arkhos and Mongseng getting greenlit as names due to legal stuff. Did Kaldheim have a similar problem, which is why it took so long? Or was it just a matter of figuring out how to do the set? Either way, super happy to see a planechase plane finally getting a set! A girl can hope a certain other one will get a set, too.
Kaldheim did not have that problem, thus a set called Kaldheim. : )

September 01, 2020

markrosewater.tumblr.com

Blogatog

“Tales from the Pit” #2388
ec3a61b2d216920e5c139219c0774aa880d13d00.jpg

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ready for the blue one to be something like Brainstorm or Intuition on the spell side and discard cards to have it come in untapped (it's probably life loss cost for all the mythic lands, but i like the concept that white has you pay life when it normally wouldn't, so maybe all the colors would require an opposite desire as a price).

Magic Story summary
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
OK, summarizing story stuff.
magic.wizards.com

Zendikar: Things Have Changed | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

A lot has changed since the events of Battle for Zendikar. Find out what's in store for the plane of Zendikar this time around!
* Before the Eldrazi came to Zendikar, the Roil didn't exist. Thus, the Kor were able to establish an extensive society called Makindi (after its capital city), though it turned into an authoritative state. They built seven floating structures called Skyclaves to act and military and government centers.
* Over the course of centuries of the Roil and battles, all the Skyclaves fell. The article goes into detail for all seven, but one became the Sky Ruin of Emeria, guarded by the angel Iona.
* After Iona descended to fight the Eldrazi, she left the Sky Ruins unguarded. Following the defeat of the Eldrazi, explorers were free to explore the area without her interference and activated a magical defense system.
* In response, all the Skyclaves rose into the sky once again, whatever their state of ruin. Seven floating ancient ruins triggered a new age of exploration on Zendikar.
* The Skyclave ruins contain not just creatures that moved in when they fell, but ancient lab experiments.

* Tazri and Linvala the angel worked together to rally all expeditionary houses to reconstruct the Sea Gate.
* There is now a sixth expeditionary house, the Sea Gate Expeditionary House, founded by the first person to lead an expedition into the Sky Ruins after Iona left, a kor woman named Kesenya. Unknown to her, the secret benefactor funding the house is Nahiri.
* Many vampires died during the fight with the Eldrazi. Drana is the last of the original generation of vampires and the only bloodchief, thus the only one that can create new vampires. She seeks a way to create new bloodchiefs.

magic.wizards.com

* Nahiri is on Zendikar in Akoum, looking up at a newly arisen Skyclave.
* She was alive before the Roil and isn't used to expecting it to happen. There's an earthquake and she angrily uses her lithomancy to stop it.
* Nissa appears; Nahiri asked her to join her on this expedition. They talk about War of the Spark.
* Nissa points out Nahiri tried to destroy Innistrad. Nahiri whataboutisms back with Nissa freeing the Eldrazi.
* Nahiri is angry about the Roil and how sealing the Eldrazi ruined the plane. Nissa never knew a Zendikar without the Roil.
* Nahiri challenges her to a race up to the top. Nahiri is faster with her lithomancy, but the Roil happens again and her structures crumble. Nissa saves her from falling. Annoyed, Nahiri says they can just go up without racing.

* They reach the top. The ruins are huge; they used to house tens of thousands of Kor.
* Nissa is trying her best to make a connection with Nahiri. She thinks about what Gideon would do, and is reminded of his death. She goes ahead and asks Nahiri what they're looking for. She doesn't know exactly, but the stones will guide them.
* Nissa and Chandra breaking up in War of the Spark: Forsaken is still canon, FYI. Nissa doesn't want to think about her.
* Nahiri walks ahead and Nissa worries that helping Nahiri will only hurt Zendikar again. She thinks of Gideon: he'd help Nahiri, but he wouldn't blindly follow her.

* The Roil keeps causing the ruins to shake, reminding Nahiri of her failure to protect her home.
* They were moving silently, but when they reach a set of giant collapsed doors, Nahiri uses her powers to send them flying.
* They're then attacked by a large felidar, hairless with razor protrusions, indicating that it may be modified.
* Nahiri summons red-hot swords to attack it. Nissa fights with unexpected strength and summoned vines. Eventually, Nahiri kills it.

* They reach a big chamber and Nahiri can't figure out the way forward.
* Nissa summons an elemental, surprising Nahiri, and it leads the way. Being with the elemental makes her feel at ease.
* They notice a trap that will drop a big geopede on them. Nahiri says to have the elemental go fight it, but Nissa is upset about this. She sets a vine net under the geopede, has the elemental trigger the trap, and crushes the geopede with the vines. Nissa is surprised when Nahiri crushes the corpse with stone fists, but she says everything born on Zendikar is hard to kill. Nissa reflects that this applies to them too.

* They reach the heart of the Skyclave, where there's a glowing tile on a dais.
* Nahiri reads the ancient ruins, which say it's a lithoform core. Nissa is surprised she can read them, until she remembers how old Nahiri is.
* Nahiri takes it. It's really just a key; the lock is in Murasa's Skyclave. There's still a bit of power left in this chamber, however.
* The Roil happens again, and enraged, Nahiri uses the core's power to stop it. Fully, this time. The ruins also start knitting back together.
* Nissa is happy, until her elemental starts screaming.

* Nissa is horrified as the elemental crumples to ash. Nahiri is like, "Jesus, it was just a plant."
* Nissa reaches out with her powers and realizes that every other living thing in the ruins is dead now.
* Nissa thinks back to Gideon and realizes he wouldn't let this continue. Nahiri says that Zendikar is a shithole now, it used to be way better. Nissa responds she doesn't realize how wonderful Zendikar is now. She asks her to give her the key.
* In response, Nahiri attacks Nissa with swords. They fight until Nahiri creates a stone wall between them. Nahiri shouts that she's the guardian of Zendikar and she won't stand by as the plane tears itself apart. Nissa says she's Zendikar's guardian too.
* Thinking again about what Gideon would do, Nissa planeswalks away to get help.

* Nissa arrives on Ravnica. People are pretty upset at her for wrecking Vita-Ghazi during the fight with Bolas, with Jace's guard scowling at her.
* Jace is up on his bookshelves, and Nissa is too awkward to interrupt. When he finally notices her, he greets her warmly, to her surprise.
* Nissa tries to explain what happened, but Jace keeps interrupting with, "Hold on, I have a scroll about this somewhere," and such until Nissa forcefully tells him to stop.
* Nissa completes her explanation. Jace says they should bring the core to Ravnica to study it, but Nissa is insistent that they should destroy it and that Jace doesn't understand its danger. Jace insists back that they should hold on and think about this. Nissa is angry, and thinking about what Gideon would do, she thinks he would seize the moment. She goes back to Zendikar to handle this on her own before Jace can finish talking.

* Jace is left alone in the sanctum and reflects on how he could have handled that conversation better. He thinks about how he's already keeping the secret that Nicol Bolas is still alive from everyone else and wants to make up for that.
* He plans his trip to Zendikar.

I thought this story was pretty good. Both major characters are presented well.

Last edited:

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
That white land looks sweet, but is it even worth it? what white deck gets up to 7 mana? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.