• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

D7R-RYeW0AALmfZ.png%3Alarge

Here's what they look like. The back is blank, besides the card name and artist.

Ah, so these aren't actually full art cards. Just snazzy little promos. Still, sounds pretty cool even if they aren't quite what I thought.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The red force feels so tonedea design wise. I really don't know why they bothered with the Force ability on it.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, the idea is for it to be a good(?) aggro card that you can use defensively in a pinch without paying mana.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man... That Mox hurts my soul. The only useful thing I can think of doing with it is somehow putting it into play with like Tezzeret, the Seeker or something similar.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That red force is so fucking weak. What type of deck does that go into? Any red card you pitch is probably worth 3 damage alone. Maybe it's better in application but I don't see it.

That cloud shredder sliver though....that's some good shit.

Oct 28, 2017
That red force is so fucking weak. What type of deck does that go into? Any red card you pitch is probably worth 3 damage alone. Maybe it's better in application but I don't see it.

That cloud shredder sliver though....that's some good shit.

I think it's to save your life in a mirror or something. Clearly the primary goal is to hard cast.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Man, Modern Horizons seems really fun. I don't have much time to go to an LGS for games but this really makes me wish Arena was going to have these cards. Maybe once Arena's eternal format, whatever that ends up being, is implemented future MH sets will be released?

Pretty jealous seeing all the new cards I can't play with. I'm guessing a lot of the fun looking cards like the bear lord are actually crappy in the format but it's crazy seeing how much more powerful some of this stuff is than what would be allowed in Standard.

Edit: Just to clarify, I understand Ayula isn't a "lord," but you get what I mean.

MH1 - Hexdrinker (?); Hollowhead Sliver; King of the Pride; Plague Engineer; Winds of Abandon
Oct 28, 2017
I thought about going to a pre-release but ultimately decided against it. I did UMA and got burned badly. This is cheaper at $30, but only really breaks even if I win the whole thing. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Back to the good stuff...level up is back!

l0cz9y9ak4031.png

Hexdrinker
Level Up 1
LVL3-7 Protection from instants
LVL8+ Protection from everything

Not a bad card.

ngsgum76l4031.jpg

D7UrzRaU0AE-sQn

A lion lord!

om48Qfa.jpg

Mean tribal hate. This goes into all of your casual black decks for when your friends play elves or goblins.

D7Uj0EeW4AIIbXM.png

Cyclonic Rift had a baby with Path to Exile. Kinda risky, honestly. Not sure I'd want to run this.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new momir game is fucking trash, holy balls. There's just absolutely no reason to attempt a game where you start with shit planeswalkers

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That lion being a reference to Savannah Lions and pulling a line from the original Love Song of Night and Day that PERFECTLY fits the theme of the card... that's art.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The new momir game is fucking trash, holy balls. There's just absolutely no reason to attempt a game where you start with shit planeswalkers
Then you are not playing correctly. You should 90% of the time pitch your PW to Momir. Only very few are worth casting above a random Momir creature (those with card advantage specifically). So having no good PW is not really meaningful at all.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That is a way better 2 mana walker than Tibalt
My only complaint about it is that they really should have put the retrace reminder text on this- I bet if you went to the Pro Tour, less than 25% of the participants could tell you what Retrace does off the top of their head correctly. It's not like they are lacking space on the card

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They don't typically do explanation text on Mythics do they?

And I definitely don't remember ever seeing on a Planeswalker. Narset didn't explain Rebound, for example.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
That PW seems really good, ticks up for instant card advantage. Hopefully enables some fun attritiony lands deck. Worst-case scenario it's a fun cube addition.

Oct 25, 2017
I bet most pros know what retrace does.

For those who don't: you can recast spells with retrace from your graveyard by pitching a land as an additional cost. What's awesome about that is that the spell doesn't get exiled, so you just keep doing it forever.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
They don't typically do explanation text on Mythics do they?

And I definitely don't remember ever seeing on a Planeswalker. Narset didn't explain Rebound, for example.
They don't, but usually Planeswalkers have the mechanic of the set they are in if they have a mechanic. Tezzerett Master of the Bridge is the big exception to this.
de14b4fd-fb4e-4986-9123-69ae68b5050a.jpg

It's possible the emblem will have the reminder text
Does this ability work in EDH? Isn't part of "dies" that it has to hit the GY, and the Command Zone move prevents that?

Nov 2, 2017
Does this ability work in EDH? Isn't part of "dies" that it has to hit the GY, and the Command Zone move prevents that?

It does not. Making him, well, not a great commander actually.
D7Uj0EeW4AIIbXM.png

Cyclonic Rift had a baby with Path to Exile. Kinda risky, honestly. Not sure I'd want to run this.

Seems like a strong finisher for white in EDH personally, very strong. One sided board wipes are absurdly powerful in Commander.

MH1 - Fallen Shinobi; Sling-Gang Lieutenant; Battle Screech; Farmstead Gleaner
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder text on mythics is more a matter of whether they have space for it.

Plague Engineer is a reference to Engineered Plague, and Carriers are a classic Phyrexian type, the most well known being Phyrexian Plaguelord. Oddly, no creature with "carrier" in their name is a carrier. Reveal article.

The Wrenn and Six reveal article mentions that Six is a treefolk that acts as a mech-like vehicle for Wrenn, who is symbiotically linked to it. Six is the "sixth treefolk", whatever that means. No genders are given.

Fallen Shinobi reveal
en_tXU4t7I61d.png

This was going to be a reprint of Silent-Blade Oni, but they decided people would want all the ninjas to be new, plus they wanted it to maybe see Modern play.

D7V1ifiXYAAt6ZF

Reference to Siege-Gang Commander, of course.

Reprint of

15.jpg

D7WNIg_XkAE6gzr.jpg

First time UNTAP has appeared with +1/+1 counters. Also, Reaper King buyouts totally vindicated.
390757882527744000.png

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Screech common what the heck? Did they not take any lessons from Vintage Masters?

Thinking about it, the idea is for it to be a good(?) aggro card that you can use defensively in a pinch without paying mana.
If you're using it defensively by pitching another burn card, you've already lost.

At least it should be playable in cube as a more efficient Hellspark Elemental.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Screech common what the heck? Did they not take any lessons from Vintage Masters?
It's uncommon, the English version I posted is from Vintage Masters.

If you're using it defensively by pitching another burn card, you've already lost.
Except if you block an attack and win the next turn
390757882527744000.png

It's an uncommon, not a common.

New Green Mythic:

D7WO_dVW4AEU2vJ

(tapped) Harrow on a stick
wrax4tjhy6031.jpg

Harrow on a stick, that doesn't force you to sacrifice on cast. Plus, elf.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Unbound Florishing is completely nuts in EDH/casual, but I don't think it's a Modern/Legacy card

Status
Not open for further replies.