• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MH1 - Ayula's Influence
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
sd3p6johyvz21.png

Green Seismic Assault
Ayula is probably a legendary bear.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
There has to be some insider trading bullshit with the secondary market around Modern Horizons. Even innocuous shit like Everflowing Chalice started spiking around March and just happens to be great with Urza.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Glacial Revelation is breakable. It's Draw 6 in a 100% snow deck, and if not, sending stuff to the graveyard isn't irrelevant. Someone's gonna figure out a way to exploit it sooner or later.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about this set is the art that throws back to old school Magic.
There has to be some insider trading bullshit with the secondary market around Modern Horizons. Even innocuous shit like Everflowing Chalice started spiking around March and just happens to be great with Urza.

Insider trading on an unregulated market known for massive leaks? Nah. Inconceivable.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Sliver Queen has been climbing for the last few weeks, even before the reveal. It's incredibly questionable.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say there's zero insider trading/speculating stuff going on, but MaRo said they wanted to put slivers in Dominaria but there wasn't enough room. Sliver Queen is the OG sliver legend, on the Reserved List, and people are getting their tax returns, which always prompts people to buy stuff.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to say there's zero insider trading/speculating stuff going on, but MaRo said they wanted to put slivers in Dominaria but there wasn't enough room. Sliver Queen is the OG sliver legend, on the Reserved List, and people are getting their tax returns, which always prompts people to buy stuff.

Maybe... but looking at all three 5-color legends and their trajectory shows a smaller pre-spoilers spike on each at about the same time (late March this year, Queen and Legion only one day apart in fact) abnormal from their previous pattern. Overlord's price increase is much less drastic but even its slight climb lines up with the other two (the comparatively small amount of growth is less probably due to the fact that it had a second printing). SOMETHING caused them each to jump at the same time.

472zeUT.jpg

MH1 - Splicer's Skill; Ayula, Queen Among Bears; Generous Gift; Umezawa's Charm; Ravenous Giant; Changeling Outcast
Oct 28, 2017
Hope you all have been enjoying the spoilers for EDH Horizons. Now we're getting to the good stuff:

59sXZXRB6-2gD4fyzPcISskAuYB7QaE9EMUWjp38N4Q.png

Splice into instant or sorcery. No arcane required. Awesome.

OnOkSqPEOPhI7KFmBIxcjPR38tesdB2YXTmWjYMkrMQ.png

Bear legend.

1yyz_hDmPP06cHs5wlzgHy_5BZt0vy8CWsqwkJ5NmeU.png

White elephant gift. Flavor fail that it makes a green token though. Also amazing EDH card.

oST1hrIri-tUOiKeYTRCY0NV3J1_7mjARJGH7PMK2X4.png

Jitte without a stick.

ipYKZJyC7-L4_X-T8wI_oBy_daIobeLs6oaBRreN0xc.png

Limited card.

Edit: Missed this bag of garbage.

Ge3zbAGDwqxHJEanm2w6Mu3PZTeBvOEoNN5QT7Vyi8Q.png

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe... but looking at all three 5-color legends and their trajectory shows a smaller pre-spoilers spike on each at about the same time (late March this year, Queen and Legion only one day apart in fact) abnormal from their previous pattern. Overlord's price increase is much less drastic but even its slight climb lines up with the other two (the comparatively small amount of growth is less probably due to the fact that it had a second printing). SOMETHING caused them each to jump at the same time.

472zeUT.jpg

Yeah, all the sliver cards crept up. With more information it does appear pretty damning.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The one spike I'm not getting right now is Reaper King.

Any reasons why that one might have jumped that I'm missing?

MH1 - Mother Bear; Pyrophobia
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

D7Q3y9zUwAABjI3.png

Callback to Bear Cub.

Besides the Juzam Djinn callback, there are a ton of other explanations for cards listed in this article, along with stories of the set's creation.
* Umezawa's Charm = one activation of Umezawa's Jitte, of course
* Splicer's Skill is the Splicer cards from New Phyrexia combined with the splice mechanic.
* Generous Gift is a color shifted Beast Within.
* Changeling Outcast is Tormented Soul.

The article also specifically says they're avoiding design space that upcoming Standard sets would use, so we shouldn't expect snow anytime soon.

Also, they gave Ravenous Giant to Martin Juza.

Oh, one more came in
D7RGiycXsAEcYte.png

Callback to Boldwyr Intimidator and anti-changeling card. Plus maybe we'll get a new Norin the Wary with the Coward type.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

D7RMrgVX4AEZ2xW.png:large

3/4 flying for 3, with card filtering, but also card disadvantage. Interesting design, and I like the flavor text.

70.jpg

with the downside replaced with

294.jpg

This is basically Disney's Aladdin: The Card, right? The colors of his clothing and hair match exactly. You even have Iago right there in the foreground. Come on

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Man this set wasn't even on my radar and I'm more excited for it than anything else they've put out in years

I want Magic to be weird again

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

There is always tons of speculation that can be based on little scraps of information, and intuition. Remember when "Atlazan" was leaked, and all the merfolk cards spiked for a while? Remember every Winter when Stoneforge Mystic spikes because people thought it would be unbanned? Stuff like The Chain Veil spiking when War of the Spark was announced because people inferred it would be a Planeswalker set? This is something that always happens, and we usually see things retrace to their original price if the speculation was unfounded.

When this set was announced, I saw tons of speculation that Slivers were going to be in it- They have been a fringe modern deck for a while (you can find some of them top 8/16 SCG events from 2017), and the idea that old ones could be reprinted into modern- or that you could print juiced ones directly into modern and bypass Standard- was one of the more obvious things that could be in this set. Sliver Queen spiked the most- she's reserved list and the most "popular" Sliver card, and because of how big of a hit Slivers are with casual players, there are a ton that were probably lost to attrition (just shoved into a shoebox in the back of the closet, never to re-enter the secondary market)

Now, there are some that can be the results of leaks- Everflowing Chalice is a great example. The foils of that card started to spike around March 10th- which was about 3 weeks before we all found out that Proliferate was in the set (which is the reason the card spiked). This is a case where someone finds out something through a leak, and starts to think about how it could effect the rest of the market. Finding out that proliferate is in the set? Lets go to EDHrec and see.. oh, Atraxa is the most popular commander in the history of the format. Lets look at the Atraxa deck... oh, Everflowing Chalice, a card that was a Standard Powerhouse, is one of the 5 most played artifacts across all Atraxa decks? Time to buy out the foil copies! (and if you look, Chalice went from a $1 non foil to a $2 non-foil, while the foil went from a $3 card to a $12+ card)

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I might have my timelines mixed up but wasn't the Stoneforge hype because they printed a foil for a GP kinda sorta close to the next B&R or the one after JTMS got let loose?

I agree. Lots of factors go into this type of stuff. Still makes you wonder.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Twitch stream confirms no Counterspell. They chose between introducing Counterspell, or a bunch of different kinds of counters like Prohibit.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, did they give the probability of the full arts per case? I'm googling to try and find info... but my Google-fu is useless.

Last edited:

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Why suspend 3 on that mox... 2 would've made it sort of playable but at 3 it's worse than a Land. Bloom was playable at 3 because it gave 3 mana on ur combo turn, this is actually useless in combo in t4 because u don't run that many lands in those decks. So disappointing considering the incredible average power of the set

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, the full art cards aren't using Magic card stock, but the token card stock, so you won't be able to play them. Plus the backs are blank except for the artist and card name, leaving room for the artist to sign it if you see them at a con.

Also, draft archetypes
UW - Blink
UB - Ninjas
RB - Goblins
RG - Lands in GY matter
GW - Creaturefall
BW - Changelings
UR - Draw 2 Matters
BG - Graveyard stuff
RW - Slivers
UG - Snow

And Ryan Pancoast drawing Mox Tantalite.

Oct 25, 2017
Patreon will stick around for a while until the platform tries to squeeze more profit out. The idea of artists getting income from patrons is as old as time. All that will change is the platform by which they get that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.