• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2018
they chose to ruin their standard format for a year so that play design could say they did a great job at balancing because they didn't ban anything

it's flawless logic

Oct 28, 2017
they chose to ruin their standard format for a year so that play design could say they did a great job at balancing because they didn't ban anything

it's flawless logic

Don't you think you're vastly overreacting? Ruin their standard format for a year? Allegiance is one of the best standards in a very long time and Reclamation played a part in powering a single B-tier deck (Temur Reclamation) and a single C-tier deck (Nexus Reclamation). Perhaps you should wait a month or so for this standard to shake out and let control do its thing in shutting Reclamation decks down into the ground.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Nexus reclamation is as much annoying as blue white aggro if they get their god drawn, but at least in my experience white weenie always get their god drawn.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
New Teferi blanks Wilderness Reclamation decks. It's annoying to play against when they are 'going off' but it's not really broken and standard seems to be in a great place right now

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Krenko is ridiculous full stop. In draft it's insane and in Standard it wouldn't surprise me if it replaced Legion Warboss.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So me and my gf have been casually playing against each other for 1.5 weeks now and I'm just getting slaughtered by her mono-white deck. So far we have 2 War of the Spark prerelease packs, a Ravnica Allegiance deckbuilder's toolkit and a single 35-card War of the Spark white theme booster. So I guess my gf had a bit more to choose from but still. I've tried to go against her with a blue/green and blue/green/red deck and she keeps destroying me with a bunch of creatures with lifelink and first strike and with some really good instants and spells. We're gonna try to switch up decks to see if the decks really are unbalanced.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
So me and my gf have been casually playing against each other for 1.5 weeks now and I'm just getting slaughtered by her mono-white deck. So far we have 2 War of the Spark prerelease packs, a Ravnica Allegiance deckbuilder's toolkit and a single 35-card War of the Spark white theme booster. So I guess my gf had a bit more to choose from but still. I've tried to go against her with a blue/green and blue/green/red deck and she keeps destroying me with a bunch of creatures with lifelink and first strike and with some really good instants and spells. We're gonna try to switch up decks to see if the decks really are unbalanced.
with few resources, mono color aggro deck will 90% of the times be better then a three color pile.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
with few resources, mono color aggro deck will 90% of the times be better then a three color pile.

That's not always true. Mono-color aggro almost never works in limited. I'd wager that, unless the prerelease packs contained major white bombs, he could build a pretty good two or even three color deck that would slaughter a mono-white aggro deck.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
They blew past the limitations of limited environments when they started adding in other sets and preselected groups of cards (the white theme booster). They're very much in constructed territory now, though in a small pool for it.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
There's gonna be a loooot of amateur cut cards in a few weeks. Break out the kitchen scissors.

BAqbfdC.png

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So the big issue is that uncut sheets are VERY expenisve to frame, but holy shit that's incredible. I will likel;y be buying someones from Ebay and getting it framed- they don't put uncut sheets out that often, and it's a bit of a white whale for me!

If anyone is getting their sheets and is looking to sell, I will be interested.

Last edited:

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
How much is an uncut sheet? Seems like a foil rare and mythic sheet would have a lot of value. Not exactly playable but seems like a great piece to own.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
How much is an uncut sheet? Seems like a foil rare and mythic sheet would have a lot of value. Not exactly playable but seems like a great piece to own.
There isn't really a price for them, as they only get distributed as gifts from Wizards to employees/special causes, and as occasional Prize wall items at GPs. There isn't a great demand for them- the only thing you can do with them is frame them (and unless you are friends with a person who does custom framing, you are looking at multiple hundreds of dollars- it's a weirdly sized large object), or very carefully cutting the sheet and getting the cards, which is going to be really difficult to do in a form that is tournament legal- it's not something you are going to be doing with a pair of scissors.

I'm going to wait till they start showing up on ebay en masse and seeing where the price ends up. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the largest release of an individual uncut sheet ever- there were 10s of thousands of canceled orders i believe

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd much rather have a random promo for my 0 dollars and mild annoyance than an awkwardly sized boondoggle that I have nowhere to put.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Class action lawsuit incoming. Like I said... Amateur Hour at WotC.

https://t.co/b4JGSikGyD?amp=1

Werner Wetherington, P.C. filed a class action lawsuit against Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast on behalf of all United States citizens who meet the following criteria:

1. Placed an order for War of the Spark: Mythic Edition on eBay;
  2. Received a confirmation email from eBay;
  3. Had their order cancelled; and
  4. Have NOT authorized eBay to cancel the contract.
What is the basis for this lawsuit?

By listing War of the Spark: Mythic Edition on eBay with a "buy it now" price, Hasbro and Wizards made an offer to sell the set to individuals at the listed price. eBay's terms of service specifically state that, when an offer for an item is accepted, it creates a legally binding contract:

You enter into a legally binding contract to purchase an item when you commit to buy an item, your offer for an item is accepted, or you have the winning bid (or your bid is otherwise accepted)[.]​
Both purchasers and sellers must agree to the above terms prior to buying or selling on eBay. Anyone who clicked the "Buy It Now" button to purchase War of the Spark: Mythic Edition, and completed their order, entered into a binding contract.

By the time that Hasbro and Wizards announced their intent to breach the contract, buyers could only obtain War of the Spark: Mythic Edition at its substantially higher fair market value. By refusing to complete the sale, Hasbro and Wizards are in breach of contract and affected purchasers are entitled to recover damages in an amount equal to the fair market value of their purchase.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking lol at creating a class action lawsuit over this shit. I mean yeah they fucked up pretty badly and turned the sale of the mythic edition into quite the shitshow. But at the end of the day it was well known that it was a highly limited product that there was a very high demand for due to the cards included. And all that happened if you didn't end up getting your Mythic edition(s) is...what? You had to spend a few minutes checking for updates over a few days to see if your order got cancelled? And some money you clearly didn't need that badly anyway weren't getting refunded until around a week after your order cancellation?

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do class action lawsuits happen for other limited products that sell out in minutes? I don't get it. If anything shouldn't it have been against the EBay for the tax hiccup?

Oct 28, 2017
Do class action lawsuits happen for other limited products that sell out in minutes? I don't get it. If anything shouldn't it have been against the EBay for the tax hiccup?

They're arguing that a contract was made with Wizards (it was actually made with Hasbro, so Hasbro should be the defendant). If there were damages, and let's be clear, there aren't, Hasbro might be liable for breach as they did commit breach of contract (though there are multiple affirmative defenses to breach that they can and will claim that make that a non-issue). Assuming there somehow were damages and that Hasbro didn't have a defense to its breach, it would still ultimately be eBay's fault and I'd be really surprised if eBay and Hasbro's contract didn't include an indemnification clause which means eBay would need to pay for it. This is a very simple synopsis of it and really there's more hoops to jump through.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
People still play tiny leader?

I do with my wife and kids. She has a sick Ezuri deck that I use as a barometer of whether my builds are good enough. Feather and Krenko just demolished her even when she had her ideal board state.

I've been busy working but on my off time we're going to start messing around with Oathbreaker. Seems like a fun format and a preferable alternative to having Planeswalker commanders in regular EDH.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
English language interview with Yoshitaka Amano is on the MTG Mothership: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...boration-magic-and-yoshitaka-amano-2019-05-09

His Liliana is also the wallpaper of the week: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/media/wallpapers

y9ns7Khl.jpg

This is the cosplayer he saw before being asked for the job, Florencia Sofen.

7zjwga3l.jpg

The most interesting tidbit:

Amano said:
It's hard to put into words, but Liliana seems to have a perfect balance of regality and down-to-earthness, at least that's how I feel. No matter what world you went to, Liliana would fit in—wouldn't you agree? Whatever world you go to, there's someone like her, isn't there? That's the sense I had—a sort of universal feeling. Also, I felt that she had the air of a '50s or '60s Hollywood actress, and that there was a dignified sense to her. I wanted to depict that her very existence was "self-important," and create a feeling that she was dominating over something.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather have a random promo for my 0 dollars and mild annoyance than an awkwardly sized boondoggle that I have nowhere to put.

Yeah, although I have always wanted a foil sheet and will likely just eat the cost on getting it framed, I just can't imagine that many people will have a use for these. I figure that most of them will end up stuffed in a closet and the rest will get flipped on eBay, devaluing the hell out of them. Honestly, I'd rather they printed a single promo card for those affected purely because it just seems more manageable.

That said, I am gonna enjoy the hell out of my foil sheet.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, although I have always wanted a foil sheet and will likely just eat the cost on getting it framed, I just can't imagine that many people will have a use for these. I figure that most of them will end up stuffed in a closet and the rest will get flipped on eBay, devaluing the hell out of them. Honestly, I'd rather they printed a single promo card for those affected purely because it just seems more manageable.

That said, I am gonna enjoy the hell out of my foil sheet.

I like the sheets a lot, especially one that is half full of planeswalkers. But framing is gonna be a real deal breaker. You're looking at $200 minimum if you cheap out on the acrylic front and border mat.

Statement Regarding Yuuya Watanabe
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Statement Regarding Yuuya Watanabe
The Magic Pro League completed a thorough investigation following Yuuya Watanabe's disqualification for marked sleeves at Mythic Championship II. As part of this investigation, the sleeves in question were examined multiple times by multiple judges and tournament officials, we reviewed recordings of matches from Mythic Championship II as well as past tournaments, and we considered statements from Watanabe as well as Mythic Championship II judges and tournament officials. The result of that investigation is that, effective immediately, Watanabe is banned from DCI-sanctioned events for a period of 30 months, is removed from the MPL, and is removed from the Magic Hall of Fame.

Information on his replacement in the MPL will be announced early next week.

Oct 28, 2017
What if he really is innocent? That would suck to not be given a proper chance to prove his case. Of course, I'd sue the hell out of them over that MPL contract so maybe he will get his day in court.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I think the only defense is that someone else marked the sleeves and framed him. I'm not sure how they would've gotten physical custody of his deck, but it'd be quite the sinister plan, since he really can't defend himself in the unlikely case he is innocent.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only defense is that someone else marked the sleeves and framed him. I'm not sure how they would've gotten physical custody of his deck, but it'd be quite the sinister plan, since he really can't defend himself in the unlikely case he is innocent.

Someone would need to be alone with the deck, and mark all the cards quickly thereafter. It sounds like a movie plot if you think about it.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
It's wild how many JP players (like notable ones at pro level too) are convinced this is some giant conspiracy and not the fact hes a giant ass cheat.

I do agree with some of the sentiment that its time to move these events to digital.

Oct 28, 2017
The pictures that his own damn shop posted were blatant as fuck. I can't believe there's any chance he's innocent.
Someone would need to be alone with the deck, and mark all the cards quickly thereafter. It sounds like a movie plot if you think about it.

Judges confirmed on Reddit that, if they wanted to, it would be extremely easy to mark someone's cards intentionally. While two judges check the deck, only one actually goes and picks it up and there are many opportunities to step aside and do the deed. Now a judge obviously wouldn't do that for no reason, but this is a high-level competition with a lot of money on the line. It's possible another team bribed a judge to mark the cards.

I'm not saying I believe he's innocent, to be clear. I've got no idea. We probably will never have any idea. But it isn't completely outrageous.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man wouldn't that be a scandal? Might even kill high level paper tournaments. Digital only from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.