• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bounty Agent not hitting Planeswalkers might not be the worst decision Play Design made recently, but I'd say it's top 10.

6e938121-5917-4b67-9014-74fca106a471.jpg

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Im not gonna pretend to be a color expert, but I don't understand what Klothys is doing in R/G. Ramp that requires exiling a land from the yard each turn seems odd to me, but I don't play out of standard so who knows. Paying 3 mana to not do anything this turn seems terrible for aggro.

Also, why would red anything want to keep people jailed in the afterlife or stop someone from escaping?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
The flavour is odd in that green is very much natural order and predeterminism so destiny fits there but red at the same time is all about chaos, not following rules, personal expression, etc. as to her effect you can do lightning helix effects in RG, BW and RB. GY hate is also repeatedly in green and mana generation is both red and green.

As to her power I think something hard to interact with that just sits there and gets in for damage every turn is pretty fucking strong

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Red/Gruul's all about accepting your fate and place within the order of the world.

(I kind of get it. In the specific context of the plane of Theros, fate/destiny is the "natural order" rather than a supernatural construct. The Gods of Theros are a natural part of the world, not creations of man, even if that runs contrary to our modern sensibility where religion is concerned.)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im not gonna pretend to be a color expert, but I don't understand what Klothys is doing in R/G. Ramp that requires exiling a land from the yard each turn seems odd to me, but I don't play out of standard so who knows. Paying 3 mana to not do anything this turn seems terrible for aggro.

Also, why would red anything want to keep people jailed in the afterlife or stop someone from escaping?
For what it's worth, the main pro here is that she's really hard to kill. Only one color in standard can actually answer her based on what we know. Plop her down against a slower deck and unless they have a Revoke Existence or Banishing Light they just lose.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm getting hung up for no good reason. I think I mentally parse that deal damage to all opponents as lose life, so I chuck it into the Extort/Orzhov bin.

I totally get that gods are difficult to remove permanently, but speaking anecdotally, I see a lot of brazen borrowers on ladder. I think that's coloring my view.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to GR destiny:
BW - Destiny as inevitability
UG - Destiny as knowledge
GR - Destiny as mandate

Red is about doing what red wants, not necessarily others getting to do what they want. Slam Green and Red together and you get people who think everyone should be living the way they are. Just look at Gruul and their whole thing being waiting for the day the artifice of Ravnica is torn down by Illharg and everyone is forced to live as they do.

GR is, effectively, the color pair of "this is the best way to do things and everyone needs to do thinga this way."

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think vengeance/retribution makes more sense for R/G. Illharg is basically taken from Princess Mononoke.

Oct 25, 2017
It actually kinda seems like garbage without knowing the context of the rest of the set. It takes two turns just to turn into a 1-for-1. I want to stay far away from this thing.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this one's confusing. I don't see how green takes advantage of it really. But might as well start giving green even access to random other color pie abilities cuz why not.
The only part that's even a stretch is the fact that it mills your opponent too, and that's just so the second ability has targets.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It plays in Ancient Stirrings/Scavenging Ooze/Regrowth territory so I see it being green, but black could certainly use something like this.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Wait just a goddamn minute

I just realized True-Name Nemesis isn't in Vintage Cube

Why? It's fucking Vintage Cube

Shuckle

Mar 30, 2018
Wait just a goddamn minute

I just realized True-Name Nemesis isn't in Vintage Cube

Why? It's fucking Vintage Cube

It looks like it used to be in but it got taken out for spellseeker. Can't keep everything in. And it seems to me like a card that just beats up the already weak aggro strategies in this cube. I've been considering making a proxy vintage cube, and white just seems so bad, I don't know what to do with it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it used to be in but it got taken out for spellseeker. Can't keep everything in. And it seems to me like a card that just beats up the already weak aggro strategies in this cube. I've been considering making a proxy vintage cube, and white just seems so bad, I don't know what to do with it.
White is a good support colour. It can do both aggro/control with all the efficient creatures and planeswalkers. Creature strategies just need ways to interact. I've been impressed by Gideon Blackblade. Not sure why Kaya is in though. She's definitely underpowered in vintage cube.

I've been looking at the changes in the recent list and some make sense, some don't. Not sure why Hallowed Spiritkeeper keeps getting in. That card is not very good. Emry is not good without cheap cantrips. Brazen Borrower has impressed me a lot but I'd keep Negate in to fight the unfair cards. It'd make more sense to cut True-Name Nemesis for that than Spellseeker. Yawgmoth is not very good. Doom Whisperer can at least win games. Seasoned Pyromancer is too slow and has awkward mana. Fallen Shinobi is a cool card but requires more work than Hostage Taker. Golos is not Gilded Lotus and makes cards like Sphinx's Revelation worse. Stonecoil Serpent is too vanilla. You already have both Hangerback and Ballista.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Stonecoil Serpent is too vanilla? Just because it's an artifact creature that costs X doesn't mean it's a comp for Hangarback and Ballista. It's an efficient beater (with three abilities!), not a combo wincon.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that efficient. There's also a lot of artifact hate. At least Scrapheap Scrounger can be recurred.

THB - Allure of the Unknown
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Captura.PNG

Pantor's Box

Draw five, but your opponent casts a spell. However, they have to time it right then, so that would affect how effective it is. Plus it gets stopped by 3feri. I think it's interesting.

Next thread creation date is coming up, so I need OT title suggestions.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like the kind of decks that would benefit most from this are the kind that don't typically want 5 mana sorceries. As a top-end of Rakdos burn it could work, kind of?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Next OT draft.

THB_header.png

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics: Escape, devotion, constellation, saga
Next set: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Story archive

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

After a trip to the Arthurian and fairy tale world of Eldraine, we return to the Greek mythology world of Theros. Last time, the planeswalker Elspeth fought on behalf of the Sun God Heliod, only for him to betray her and cast her to the underworld. Now, she attempts to fight her way out to seek revenge, and in the process, unleashes all sorts of ancient horrors.

Note that there is no tie-in novel.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Guilds of Ravnica
  • Ravnica Allegiance
  • War of the Spark
  • Core Set 2020
  • Throne of Eldraine
  • Theros: Beyond Death

Banned cards in Standard.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. The Spellslinger Starter Kit (Core Set 2020 edition) has two simple decks that you do not shuffle so you and a friend can get a guided tour through how a game of Magic can work. Planeswalker Decks are pre-constructed decks with four brand new cards, including unique planeswalker cards and one additional booster pack. While not particularly strong, they will allow you to actually play casual games. Challenger Decks (2019 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that the latest decks will have cards that have rotated out of Standard by Throne of Eldraine's release. A new set of decks will release in April.

If you want to build your own deck, a Deck Builder's Toolkit (Core Set 2020 edition) will give you a decent starting collection of cards, including 125 fixed cards, 100 basic lands, four booster packs, and perhaps most importantly, a good box for your cards. A new Toolkit will release with Theros: Beyond Death.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. You play using the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

Prerelease events will be held on January 17–19, 2020. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the Prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

BOOSTER CHANGES

There are now three kinds of booster packs.

First, there are the classic ones, now called Draft Booster Packs. Besides normal art, you can also get alternate art "constellation showcase-frame" versions of the gods, demigods, and planeswalkers.

Second, there are Theme Booster Packs. You get 35 cards just of the color indicated, or whatever theme the set goes with. 34 of the cards are a mix of commons and uncommons, more of the former but there's no set ratio, and 1 rare or mythic rare, with 1/10 packs having an additional rare or mythic rare. These are about $7. Starting with Theros: Beyond Death, these come with two rares in each color that aren't in Draft Booster Packs.

Last, there are Collector Booster Packs, which are about $20-25. The contents are
  1. Two premium foil basic Nyx Lands, which are full-art basic lands
  2. Eight premium foil common, uncommon, or non-Nyx basic lands
  3. One ancillary card—each booster will contain one card from an ancillary release, including Planeswalker Decks, Theme Boosters, and the Buy-a-Box promo.
  4. One non-foil rare or mythic with the extended-art frame
  5. One premium foil rare or mythic rare—this can be either the standard frame or the extended-art frame
  6. One non-foil Saga or constellation showcase-frame card—these can be uncommon, rare, or mythic rare and can include the borderless planeswalkers
  7. One foil constellation showcase-frame card
  8. One premium foil token
NEW FORMAT

Joining Modern, Legacy, and Vintage, there is a new non-rotating format.

Pioneer covers all Standard sets from Return to Ravnica on. Launched in October, it's already become huge, especially due to both Modern and Standard having problems. It's also significantly cheaper than Modern, with greater ability to do well with your existing Standard decks. The format started with a ban list containing the fetch lands, but added more as the format developed.

THB_details.png

Arena Release Date: January 16, 2020
Prerelease Weekend: January 17, 2020 – January 19, 2020
Release Date: January 24, 2020
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics: Escape, devotion, constellation, saga

Escape

en_daGNRiu6KK.png
en_pA2gnDImLa.png

It's time to break out of the underworld. Escape allows you to cast cards out of the graveyard for the specified cost, which includes exiling other cards from the graveyard. You can do this repeatedly, as long as you have other cards to exile. Some spells get a benefit when you cast them for the escape cost.

Devotion

en_FjiaUOh8Db.png
graymerchantofasphodel.jpg
en_tkfZAWRbpw.png
klothysgodofdestiny.jpg

On Theros, showing your devotion to the gods will bring many benefits. Devotion looks at the colored mana symbols in the casting costs of permanents you control, and cards will have different effects based on them. For example, if you control no other permanents, then Daxos will provide devotion to white of 2, meaning he will have 2 toughness.

Constellation

en_YtCzxu38VC.png

On Theros, enchantments link you to the world of the gods and their night sky. Constellation effects trigger whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control. The effects are different for each card.

Saga
en_jD00ZKoKGG.png
thebindingofthetitans.jpg

Theros is a world of tales. Returning from Dominaria, sagas are enchantments that tell a story over time, with a different effect each turn. When it enters the battlefield and after you draw for your turn, you add a lore counter and trigger the corresponding effect. Then after the last one, you sacrifice the enchantment. This makes it useful for constellation, devotion, and escape.

SCHEDULE
Premier events schedule

Arena Release Date: January 16, 2020
Prerelease Weekend: January 17, 2020 – January 19, 2020
Release Date: January 24, 2020

Spring set: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

Summer set: Core Set 2021

Next fall set: Zendikar Rising

OTHER THREADS
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Play Design, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
A lord effect with haste and card draw? Has potential. Gonna have to keep an eye on whatever satyrs are released bc that could make a solid tribal.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
It's an underrepresented tribe lord they do these every now and then with close to no other support. At least they learned their lesson and made her legendary.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I completely glossed over the fact that it's legendary. Although I suppose if you love satyrs and pioneer there's something to look forward too?

Status
Not open for further replies.