• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
to be fair if you consider each plane a world, even with population less than our earth, having like a small handful of people on each one be planeswalkers is still pretty rare

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually love that origin for Calix. He's like some weird aether golem, who exists only to hunt down Elspeth, so when she planeswalks away he just... does the same thing! Because that's his job!

Looking forward to his being a one-sided rival to her, constantly stalking her to bring her back to the underworld while she's barely aware of him.

Also, Ashiok chasing down Phyrexians, that should be a fun thread.

Feb 16, 2018
got some potential upgrades to some underpowered cards

en_ZmJOoUAmW7.png
7a960516-3864-4a7a-8117-d25dec0dd665.jpg

en_XRlGlWNxmn.png
5c66d388-b140-4d52-897a-6ac6cd68f980.jpg
(can "abuse" with WAR kiora or something)

colorless limited color fixing is:
en_sZGRKHCKqp.png
en_PF452dESSQ.png
en_xxRA8Tm7Ya.png

and then for some reason they felt limited needed this effect below rare (it's probably not even a good card. just annoying)
en_V0wZxAtoPt.png

missing flavor text: "the problem with hexproof in limited is that we didn't know which color should get it"

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
to be fair if you consider each plane a world, even with population less than our earth, having like a small handful of people on each one be planeswalkers is still pretty rare
I just think it's so unabashedly hamfistedly convenient for the narrative that it's hilariously bad writing (though on that note, it's par for Magic's course). There were so many better ways to have made her hunter a planeswalker than this. Also, to hell with the "artificial beings can't have sparks" rule then?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Despite how bad the story summary is as a format, I do love how Elspeth beats Heliod.

Really makes me wish we actually got a story.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
Just read that garbage of a summary... "pathetic" is the only word on my mind.
And I'm not speaking of the story itself, that doesn't seem bad, but a fucking summary...

And here I thought that with Forsaken they had already reached the bottom. It just seems they have completely stopped caring.
If this is the way it's going to be in the future I may as well abandon Magic, since for me lore and art come before the gameplay.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
So watching the PPR I'm onboard for the full art lands. They look pretty nice on table, except for the forests which do come off as more blue/green. Imma have to pick a few colors up.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I wrote a poem on my friend's discord:

ahem:

I really hate fucking platinum
this is like
a room
full of people
and they keep farting
and there's no way for it to escape
its like
a constant stream too
just like
one long ffwwwwwwwwhhhht
but you never get to the t part
so its all fffwwwwwwhhhhhhhh
its like water torture
you keep thinking
oh man the FPT part is going to come
but it never does

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
So watching the PPR I'm onboard for the full art lands. They look pretty nice on table, except for the forests which do come off as more blue/green. Imma have to pick a few colors up.

If I was made of money (I am not) I would totally pick up a box of THB collector boosters to get the 24 foil full art lands.

Nov 2, 2017
The symbol lands from this set just don't do it for me. Kudos to those that it does, I just want my lands to have some sort of representation of land on them. I look forward to hording any I come across and getting nice trade in bonus for them down the road. Unstable lands bought me a Grimlock.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Building Feather for Pioneer. Love how dirt cheap all the pieces are.

Also, unpopular opinion of the day: An attack-only version of banding would be awesome to have again in the game.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's about time they made changes in Modern though it's too little too late for me.

Oct 28, 2017
I went to Magicfest this past weekend. Mystery Boosters are probably the most fun I've ever had drafting. Had some amazing matchups. I highly highly recommend you all do some drafts of it when it comes out for everyone in April.

Oh and the value. People regularly passed $15-$40 cards. It was insane. Every pack was worth like $15 minimum. We're talking buylist values. I paid $250 for my drafts. I kept $150 worth of cards and just made my buylist order with cardkingdom. They will give me $750 cash. What the fuck?

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I went to Magicfest this past weekend. Mystery Boosters are probably the most fun I've ever had drafting. Had some amazing matchups. I highly highly recommend you all do some drafts of it when it comes out for everyone in April.

Oh and the value. People regularly passed $15-$40 cards. It was insane. Every pack was worth like $15 minimum. We're talking buylist values. I paid $250 for my drafts. I kept $150 worth of cards and just made my buylist order with cardkingdom. They will give me $750 cash. What the fuck?
What? Really? Are you sure you weren't just insanely lucky? It's really hard to look through the card list because there's so many cards, but nothing was jumping out at me as super high value from what I saw. What cards did you get that added up to such a lofty price tag? Did you get lucky and nab a Mana crypt or something?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What? Really? Are you sure you weren't just insanely lucky? It's really hard to look through the card list because there's so many cards, but nothing was jumping out at me as super high value from what I saw. What cards did you get that added up to such a lofty price tag? Did you get lucky and nab a Mana crypt or something?
I think part of it is that they're new and not widely available. Mystery booster versions of cards are more expensive than other versions at the moment, at least when I was looking a few days ago at some random old uncommons and stuff for commander decks.

Oct 28, 2017

Nothing in particular like Mana Crypt. I did get 2 Selvalas and a Teferi's Protection (which I didn't sell), but other than that everything was below $25. But when you're getting $10-15 cards at pick 10, you can make a ton of money if you know what sells and what doesn't.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to make a Zur the Enchanter Commander but I'm affraid nobody will have fun when I play it, not even myself lol :/

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
From my experience, tutor commanders get old pretty fast. Especially one as strong as Zur.

I had a Mikaeus, the Unhallowed deck that was essentially a tutor deck that I grew bored of pretty quickly and then I made a Varolz deck that tutored out the same couple of win cons every game and I got very bored of it pretty quickly. In both cases every game, on my end, played out the same and it was just an issue of wether or not my game plan would succeed against the deck I was playing against.

I still think about the Varolz deck from time to time. My play group had a player that only wanted to play the control game, so my meta-game deck against him was Varolz, where I wanted him to strip cards from my hand or counter my creatures. Sure, counter Varolz, he's cheap enough that the tax isn't going to keep my out of the game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From my experience, tutor commanders get old pretty fast. Especially one as strong as Zur.
Yeah it seems like you just search for the same 3 most powerful enchantments and win the game. Might get old faster than my doggo. I'll definetly reconsider. On the other hand a good friend of mine played Gitrog for years so maybe I'll build a budget version just to piss him off.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Had an epic 30-40 minute Planeswalker Momir game that ended with dueling 16/16 Wurms. Finally drew into some god damn removal Planeswalkers since we both had equal fliers and no trample enablers.

Felt kinda bad since they had the advantage all game but constantly misplayed and durdled around. They tried to Momir a creature for like 14 Mana which didn't do shit and then proceeded to do it for 15 on their next turn.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
2019 really was a terrible year, wasn't it?

- Four 2019 Planeswalkers got banned/restricted in various formats.
- Nexus of Fate banned only on Arena best of 1.
- The introduction of Pioneer as an online only format but got adopted by the community because Standard and Modern were in such a bad spot.
- Standard getting various bans from Field of the Dead to Veil of Summer, Once Upon a Time and Oko.
- Modern first with the KCI ban, then the band aid in the form of the Bridge from Below ban to neuter Hogaak, which got banned anyway together with Faithless Looting. To top it all off, the Mox Opal, Oko and Mycosynth ban at the beginning of 2020.
- The death of Legacy in Organized Play.
- The Magic Pro League controversies and how it's still not very clear what metrics people need to accomplish to get invited.
- Printing strictly better cards (Arcane Signet) to sell Commander/Brawl products, while at the same time unwilling to print others (Battlebond dual lands).
- Despite printing Smothering Tithe, White is by far the worst colour in EDH Commander.
- Green on the other hand got a lot of new toys to play with in virtually all formats (some getting banned: see above).

Am I forgetting something?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
creative shitting the bed with queerbaiting, killing Dack and Niv Mizzet with no representation on cards. The publishing mishap that let the lead up to the WAR story be published after the fact, theros' story being a 1 page website,...

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
2019 really was a terrible year, wasn't it?

- Four 2019 Planeswalkers got banned/restricted in various formats.
- Nexus of Fate banned only on Arena best of 1.
- The introduction of Pioneer as an online only format but got adopted by the community because Standard and Modern were in such a bad spot.
- Standard getting various bans from Field of the Dead to Veil of Summer, Once Upon a Time and Oko.
- Modern first with the KCI ban, then the band aid in the form of the Bridge from Below ban to neuter Hogaak, which got banned anyway together with Faithless Looting. To top it all off, the Mox Opal, Oko and Mycosynth ban at the beginning of 2020.
- The death of Legacy in Organized Play.
- The Magic Pro League controversies and how it's still not very clear what metrics people need to accomplish to get invited.
- Printing strictly better cards (Arcane Signet) to sell Commander/Brawl products, while at the same time unwilling to print others (Battlebond dual lands).
- Despite printing Smothering Tithe, White is by far the worst colour in EDH Commander.
- Green on the other hand got a lot of new toys to play with in virtually all formats (some getting banned: see above).

Am I forgetting something?
- Terrible product overload targeting whales (like the Collector Boxes)
- The worst MTG books ever

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2019 was essentially an endless train of fires being put out and started up. Just when they "fixed" a major screwup in Standard they'd introduce something shitty to Arena, then after apologizing and walking that back they'd fuck up the story, and so on and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.