• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
FB_IMG_1578084222264.png
this i like a lot

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BBD mentioned wanting these white exile removal enchantments to become more like Baffling End, where the permanent itself never comes back but the opponent gets something in return.

I agree. Walkers coming back in fully reset or creatures with ETB is brutal.

Let them draw a card, or get a token, or some shit.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Read the new Destroy All Humanity chapter (13), and it's funny how much Urza's Saga makes Magic games play out like anime card battles, with the hero on the ropes until he's able to instantly defeat the opponent with a single card. In this case, the opponent was playing a Mind Over Matter deck and was going to defeat the hero on his turn 4, but the hero is able to beat him with Hatred cast on a Carnophage, with only two lands on the battlefield.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Faceless Menace is an insane EDH deck if you use the 7/5 copy commander. My. God.
Volrath is a wonderful casual goodstuff commander. You don't need to build around him, just plop him in whatever BUG shell you want and he does work without drawing hate.

I got my brother the Faceless Menace deck for Christmas and he loved Volrath.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Read the new Destroy All Humanity chapter (13), and it's funny how much Urza's Saga makes Magic games play out like anime card battles, with the hero on the ropes until he's able to instantly defeat the opponent with a single card. In this case, the opponent was playing a Mind Over Matter deck and was going to defeat the hero on his turn 4, but the hero is able to beat him with Hatred cast on a Carnophage, with only two lands on the battlefield.

Urza's Saga was an awesome time to play.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So what's the ideal curve for standard mono-black devotion looking like so far?

Knight of Ebon Legion -> Tymaret -> Ayara -> Deathless Knight -> Gray Merchant ?

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Volrath is a wonderful casual goodstuff commander. You don't need to build around him, just plop him in whatever BUG shell you want and he does work without drawing hate.

I got my brother the Faceless Menace deck for Christmas and he loved Volrath.
Yup, yup. When I was looking at which deck to buy, it seemed the 2019s were a bit underpowered--at least from the "oversized" commanders... it took us a few games, and changing commanders, to see the power in that deck.

Now I need to double-check the commanders in Merciless Rage.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Well it would be, it'd just be a bad to medium deck i.e. every deck I try to make myself.
Well I think you'd have better luck with playing lots of removal and ways to draw/play multiple Grey Merchants rather than building to 1 big one. Bolas's Citadel seems like an auto include. Erobos and Woe Strider might be good enough. Caldron of Eternity seems interesting as a Whip of Erobos pretender but might be too deep. It would be good if they spoiled a Phyrexian Arena variant.

I think the problem is the creatures are all a bit shit.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well I think you'd have better luck with playing lots of removal and ways to draw/play multiple Grey Merchants rather than building to 1 big one. Bolas's Citadel seems like an auto include. Erobos and Woe Strider might be good enough. Caldron of Eternity seems interesting as a Whip of Erobos pretender but might be too deep. It would be good if they spoiled a Phyrexian Arena variant.

I think the problem is the creatures are all a bit shit.

A control setup would probably be more viable, I agree. The only thing is getting enough black pips from permanents on the board to make Gray Merchant actually threatening. There was a BBB enchantment spoiled a while ago that pings the opponent on card draw but it feels very slow. Maybe Gray Merchant fits better as part of a non-devotion deck.

Treacherous Blessing seems good for mono-black card draw, and its downside (minor as it is) is negated once you've got Gray Merchant healing you up.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They are really pushing the "spells on an opponent's turn" theme in Blue this set, aren't they?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Simic flash needs the boost.

None of the new cards seem like they'll be considered, except maybe Wavebreak Hippocamp. Even then a 3-mana non-flash creature isn't going to set the world on fire.

There's certainly nothing on par with Brazen Borrower or Wildborn Preserver to make my heart sink like in the Eldraine previews.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
having blue/simic instant speed stuff be so rampant compounded with mostly playing arena is possibly the worst thing that has ever happened to me in magic

i mean realistically it was worse when people were playing nexus reclamation but still, same colors man!

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What can go wrong with giving blue access to synergistic (often instant speed!) creatures above rate and green access to permission and instant speed creatures and tempo etc etc

Onslaught UG Madness was the last paper format I played before I quit for a decade, so yes i dislike the pairing.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
UG Madness was actually awesome though, because most of the cards were commons or uncommons and so the deck was super cheap to acquire. That's a thing to laud IMO.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
ugh i didnt really play then other than in the cafeteria at school but playing against wild mongrel circular logic would admittedly be probably worse

onslaught was the first time i played magic, i only wanted to play mono black zombies or wb clerics

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The blue opponent's turn cards are all limited pay offs, they aren't constructed playable. That seems fair to me, better than just curving out with creatures.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
ugh i didnt really play then other than in the cafeteria at school but playing against wild mongrel circular logic would admittedly be probably worse

onslaught was the first time i played magic, i only wanted to play mono black zombies or wb clerics
Red goblins was the correct choice in legion/scourge

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I want a Myr commander. They made Morophon to be the commander for the tribes without one, and Brudiclad is almost there, but I want to build a shitty colorless Myr deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.