• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I love so much of what I'm seeing here, my only complaint is that the Commander 2021 face commanders are kind of duds for me except the Simic one and maybe Izzet could be fun.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Golgari commander is hilariously bad.

If your commander survives an entire turn cycle, and then you play a bunch of life gain/life loss on your turn, your reward is you can pay 1 mana and tap to put some +1/+1 counters on another creature. At sorcery speed, so no combat tricks.

WotC legitimately doesn't get how commander works. They keep putting powerful rewards like card draw and mana cheating on free repeatable triggers, then they force you to jump through a dozen hoops for a stack of +1/+1 counters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
mtg-strixhaven-snakeskin-veil-card.jpg

unknown.png

ExV_5THXAAcVHYM.jpg

ExWFukeWgAYfn46

I suppose Day of Judgment answers my question about whether they'll print "can't be regenerated" text on any Mystical Archives.

Oh, and since many people haven't noticed this connection.

The colorless spells all represent introductory courses that every student has to take.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP

cauc5pn908p61.png
povykr5238p61.png

So we're getting mechanics that aren't in the set proper in Mystical Archive after all.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I love the concept for this set. I already want to make deck with either the Witherbloom or Silverquill groups.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Egregious typo aside, Zaffai looks really cool. Great name, great art, fun effect for a spellslinger. I'll definitely be picking up that precon.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
ExWSHddXEAA8kXx
ExWSjioWYAAZTc1

ExWSsbcXMAUS4gY

We got storm in Limited!

ExWdhLqXAAY3hDQ

Any bets against this being banned in Historic?

Inquisition of Kozilek
2.PNG

laikalot

May 30, 2020
ExWSHddXEAA8kXx
ExWSjioWYAAZTc1

ExWSsbcXMAUS4gY

We got storm in Limited!

ExWdhLqXAAY3hDQ

Any bets against this being banned in Historic?

Inquisition of Kozilek
2.PNG

Dark Ritual is indeed pre-banned in Historic. Only one left til we know all seven that are pre-banned.

Exclusive to Wargamer, we can reveal one of the Mystical Archive cards spread among Strixhaven booster packs will be Dark Ritual, a one-cost black Instant that immediately adds three black mana to your pool (effectively a powerful free two-mana boost on your turn). So powerful, in fact, that it'll immediately be banned in MTG: Arena's Historic play when it releases. You can still play it in Strixhaven drafts, though.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Between the MDFCs, the multiple parallel sets, and the alternate arts, they've commissioned a ludicrous amount of art for Strixhaven. There's more different art in this one set than they used to go through in a year, probably.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

Mind's Desire was confirmed legal in Historic. Also, Mind's Desire spells out that you shuffle your library; I guess maybe because your library doesn't come up before that?

deeran-moo asked:
Hi mark, I'm now SO keen for Strixhaven and as an artist I feel so seen with Prismari. My question for today if it's something you may know, can I still take some extra curricular lessons in necromancy over at Witherbloom?
Just like any university, you can take classes at other colleges. The students at that college just have priority to the classes.

March 25, 2021

wilsonosgoodmcman asked:
Was Learn & Lessons at all inspired by Assemble & Contraptions? They seem similar in a lot of ways.
It was inspired by the inventions mechanic we created for Kaladesh that got dropped at the beginning of development.

March 25, 2021

I can't remember what this mechanic was.

feketelo asked:
You've said Ravenform is a large bend or even a break, but the new Will just spoiled does the same thing. Are things not being run through the Council of Colors anymore?
The Strixhaven card is the last one before we clamped down on it. Do not expect this to be a blue thing moving forward.

March 25, 2021

jimharbor asked:
Does Learn me mono white gets Rummaging now? Is Tormenting Voice fine I. white now?
Colors get to bend a bit towards set themes and mechanics. It is not now a white thing.

March 25, 2021

morruthehedgehog asked:
Maro! You guys finally shortened the sorcery activation clause! It's the #1 thing I'm most hyped for, can you tell us more about that?
There was a number of templating adjustments in the set including changing "converted mana cost" to "mana value". It happens every few years.

March 25, 2021

The change is "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery" -> "Activate only as a sorcery"

Hey everyone. I just wanted to make a quick post about something that's prompted a bunch of questions. There are no plans for Strixhaven to have crossover cards with any other property.

Tags: Magic The Gathering MTG Strixhaven WotCStaff

March 25, 2021

kazzack asked:
Will Ward be in all colors going forward, or is that just in Strixhaven because it's a set mechanic?
All colors have access to ward, but different colors will have different ward costs (aka not just mana).

March 25, 2021

righteousforest asked:
When it was decided that Strixhaven would be an instants/sorceries matter set, how long was it until the magic school flavor was decided?
As you will see in my article on Monday, the Magic school flavor, enemy factioning and "instants and sorceries" matter all came together for the initial pitch of the set.

March 25, 2021

iamthespineofmybook asked:
So it would be theoretically possible for a card to have "Ward mill 2?"
Sure.

March 25, 2021

Last edited:

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Complexity seems quite high yet again. I like the concept of MDFC, but when both sides are super wordy it becomes too much to keep track of.
Weekly MTG stream is going on on Twitch, BTW

en_I9TcdObPk1.png
en_BZEYKlchnV.png
On Augusta, is that the first time we've seen "Whenever you attack" wording? I feel like in the past it was always "whenever one or more creatures you control attack".

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in my life I watched a youtube commercial. It was Day9 (Sean Plott), Danny Trejo, and Patton Oswalt. It was for for MTG and it was great.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Am I missing something or is the flavor text on Confront the Past kind of dumb? Didn't Gideon save Liliana so she could turn Bolas' army against him?

It's been awhile since War of the Spark and I only know the story presented on cards, I don't read any of the supplemental material, but as I recall Liliana and Gideon were making some sort of last ditch stand against Bolas. Isn't it pretty obvious why he saved her?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or is the flavor text on Confront the Past kind of dumb? Didn't Gideon save Liliana so she could turn Bolas' army against him?

It's been awhile since War of the Spark and I only know the story presented on cards, I don't read any of the supplemental material, but as I recall Liliana and Gideon were making some sort of last ditch stand against Bolas. Isn't it pretty obvious why he saved her?
It killed him to do so and she's not great with the whole "personal sacrifice for no personal gain" thing. It's fucking with her head.

She didn't, for example, turn on Bolas out of some noble sense of right and wrong. She turned on him because she was sick of living her life in fear, then in chains and figured it was better to kill him or die trying.

Gideon flatly did not benefit from saving her, as far as she knows. She understands why he did it, but she can't come to grips with why he did it.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
So sorry for maybe a stupid question: are the Japanese alt-arts only available from Japanese booster packs and Collectors packs in the US? They look so good but thats gonna make em pricet

laikalot

May 30, 2020
m5ucy045z9p61.jpg

Teferi's Protection 2W

Instant

Until your next turn, your life total can't change and you gain protection from everything. All permanents you control phase out. (While they're phased out, they're treated as though they don't exist. They phase in before you untap during your untap step.)
Exile Teferi's Protection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So sorry for maybe a stupid question: are the Japanese alt-arts only available from Japanese booster packs and Collectors packs in the US? They look so good but thats gonna make em pricet
Mostly correct, but they're available in the collector boosters for every language (the cards will always be Japanese, though)

dkx7eeyh1ap61.jpg

Crux of Fate
Sorcery
Choose one:
• Destroy all Dragon creatures.
• Destroy all non-Dragon creatures.

This is one where I think the normal art looks better.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It killed him to do so and she's not great with the whole "personal sacrifice for no personal gain" thing. It's fucking with her head.

She didn't, for example, turn on Bolas out of some noble sense of right and wrong. She turned on him because she was sick of living her life in fear, then in chains and figured it was better to kill him or die trying.

Gideon flatly did not benefit from saving her, as far as she knows. She understands why he did it, but she can't come to grips with why he did it.

I thought she turned on him because she was struck by how horrible the violence she was complicit in was, per the War of the Spark trailer. Didn't she see a child buried in rubble after a building collapsed and that's what triggered her to defy Bolas?

I guess the nuance of regular why versus italicized why is lost on me. She knows why he did it... so why exactly is she confused as to why he did it?

It just seems really contrived to me. Even if she personally wouldn't sacrifice herself for the greater good it shouldn't be impossible for her to understand that others would.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love Selesnya. It's probably my favorite 2-color combination. I just do more with it than tokens, usually. And when I am making tokens, I'm also gaining life and stuff. Merely doubling tokens is boring.
Yeah I mean, if you want to just be stronger, you can just be simic and not tokens too, so it seems a little silly. Commander is just not a format that works well when you play the 'but this other commander is stronger' game - that invalidates MOST of the field

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The Golgari commander is hilariously bad.

If your commander survives an entire turn cycle, and then you play a bunch of life gain/life loss on your turn, your reward is you can pay 1 mana and tap to put some +1/+1 counters on another creature. At sorcery speed, so no combat tricks.

WotC legitimately doesn't get how commander works. They keep putting powerful rewards like card draw and mana cheating on free repeatable triggers, then they force you to jump through a dozen hoops for a stack of +1/+1 counters.

Well, the Ikoria face commanders were all pretty good/great at doing what encouraging specific modes of play, so I assume, that either these aren't the face commanders (I assume none of them are, given how little fanfare they've gotten with their release, and as you say, how relatively mediocre they are)...

edit: Or apparently they are the face cards? I'm not 100% certain.

Or Wizards either wants a 'reset' and/or de-power (ignoring the fact that commander being an eternal format means that won't happen).

The orzhov dragon is okay if you like politics/puzzle-solving-type commanders, and the 'parallel lives' on a commander simic one (i.e. guaranteed to have it readily available) are pretty good, but I do wonder how they'll balance the general 'theme' of the copying/casting tons of instants/sorceries matter in a one-of format.

In my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, the big 'copy' commanders already get hated out (niv-mizzix/Melek/Lightning-butt Dino) for how much obscene value they generate, and while the new izzet 'Big CMC matters' is interesting as an alternative, it's definitely a de-power.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Ikoria face commanders were all pretty good/great at doing what encouraging specific modes of play, so I assume, that either these aren't the face commanders (I assume none of them are, given how little fanfare they've gotten with their release, and as you say, how relatively mediocre they are)...

edit: Or apparently they are the face cards? I'm not 100% certain.

Or Wizards either wants a 'reset' and/or de-power (ignoring the fact that commander being an eternal format means that won't happen).

The orzhov dragon is okay if you like politics/puzzle-solving-type commanders, and the 'parallel lives' on a commander simic one (i.e. guaranteed to have it readily available) are pretty good, but I do wonder how they'll balance the general 'theme' of the copying/casting tons of instants/sorceries matter in a one-of format.

In my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, the big 'copy' commanders already get hated out (niv-mizzix/Melek/Lightning-butt Dino) for how much obscene value they generate, and while the new izzet 'Big CMC matters' is interesting as an alternative, it's definitely a de-power.
These are all the face cards, yeah. They kind of have to spoil the face cards first, because they're going to be clearly visible through the packaging.

image0.jpg

Gift of Estates
image0.png

(Look, this is how they chose to reveal it)

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

803072111391932467.png

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty confident in saying this is my favorite alt art print series since they introduced the Masterpiece concept.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Yeah I mean, if you want to just be stronger, you can just be simic and not tokens too, so it seems a little silly. Commander is just not a format that works well when you play the 'but this other commander is stronger' game - that invalidates MOST of the field

IMO the second you start thinking about optimal strategies and stuff like that, you've kinda lost the point of the format. It's why I can't stand The Command Zone, who I feel have had a profoundly negative impact on the format by encouraging and highlighting streamlined and optimized decks with specific wincons.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
eh, wizards printing stuff directly into commander already started the slide into implying you should play a certain way

logically if you're playing a 4 pack of commander precons and everyone realizes like hey some of these color combos and a lot of these strategies really dont do shit huh, a lot of people will just want to play the good commander decks

it aint edh

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I adore the flavor on this set. The mystical archive is especially brilliant - having mechanics that're otherwise not in the set is a great touch, really sells it as secret knowledge.
Honest question: Why would you ever play Selesnya in EDH?

They just printed a Simic legendary that makes every Selesnya tokens commander look like dogshit.
Not as much token support in the rest of the deck, I guess. Damn, but that's a good card, though.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, how do the reprints get opened in arena? The wildcard cost on historic seems like it's about to get crazy

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
This set looks so cool! I haven't been this excited about set flavor in a really long time. The reprint art is amazing too. Really looking forward to drafting it.

Mystical Archive - Negate; Adventurous Impulse; Despark; Approach the Second Sun; Claim the Firstborn; Faithless Looting; Compulsive Research; Lightning Helix; Increasing Vengeance
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
You know, when Professor Onyx was revealed, I wondered if there would be a mechanic based on copying spells in the set to take advantage of that, like replicate. Turns out it's straight up storm, lol. Granted, I assume there won't be a great way to cast more than, like, four spells in a turn.

ncnf611m0cp61.jpg

image0.jpg

Claim the Firstborn
image0.jpg

Exam-5sWgAEqzEW

Exa8iKgU4AELIJG.png

Exa93cZVgAM1jn0

auqkmkofrep61.png

Separate post for the new cards

Study Break; Guiding Voice; Enthusiastic Study; Field Trip; Rise of Extus; Environmental Sciences
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of learn cards
en_iFpGJgqGCD.png
en_SAAJRmZxDQ.png
en_uCq5sQtxoB.png
en_C5epkPwMjl.png

en_MHebanYB24.png

Huh, I wonder what's up with this guy. He isn't a planeswalker, and doesn't match up with any praetors.

en_r5W8KMdS4M.png

This looks like a really good lesson. Keep in mind you're getting this card for free.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
That Faithless Looting art is... something.

Hey at least it makes Arclight Phoenix way better in Historic!

Promo animation; Magic Story - A Cry of Magic; Mystical Archive - Agonizing Remorse; Gods Willing; Regrowth
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Promo animation

And new story. I promise, summaries coming eventually.
magic.wizards.com

A Cry of Magic | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

The Prismari artist Rootha yearns to create art that is distinctly her own. Is her family legacy a gift or a burden?

Agonizing-Remorse.png
ExWayurVoAQAdvJ

Gods Willing was in last Standard, not this one.

Regrowth
4.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.