• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty goodbut has got two major issues. The first is that it only has 4 one-drop accellerants instead of 8, so its a lot slower. The second is that it can gas out of threats pretty quickly if the other deck has adequate removal.
Sounds about right. Those were the concerns I had. Not having 8 accelerants to guarantee a turn 2 Rhythm and not having FTK as a hasty threat plus killshot combined.

I've come to appreciate aggro in old age, whereas at the time I hated Fires and loved beating it each week, thus the odd nostalgic interest here.

I'll let the dust settle a bit before spending WCs on lands.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right. Those were the concerns I had. Not having 8 accelerants to guarantee a turn 2 Rhythm and not having FTK as a hasty threat plus killshot combined.

I've come to appreciate aggro in old age, whereas at the time I hated Fires and loved beating it each week, thus the odd nostalgic interest here.

I'll let the dust settle a bit before spending WCs on lands.
The nostalgia factor in Rav3.2 is real between Absorb, a 4-mana Wrath, a Fires Variant, Birthing Pod 2 and a 5cc Hasty Dragon w/ upside.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the EDH ban list is completely nonsensical and random stuff that Sheldon Mennery's playgroup happens to personally dislike. Cards like Limited Resources, Biorhythm, Braids, even Gifts Ungiven simply have no place being banned when stupid-ass Flash Hulk continually ends games on turn one or two.. Sundering Titan, Sway of the Stars, and Worldfire just feel like they are banned there is something specific that Sheldon and the rules committee don't enjoy seeing played.

I guess I just have a hard time processing how a 9-cost red sorcery that doesn't win you the game in any discernible fashion is worthy of being banned when there's things like a five-cost Artifact that enables a near endless amount of combos running around warping metas. That's not to say I don't play some of these combos myself, but I will never stop whining about Protean Hulk and Partner commanders.
the commander banlist is deliberately slow moving and most of these mentioned cards have a place on the banlist. The commander banlist is not responsible for the shit that happens in cEDH, no one ever bothered balancing it so of course now it's pure degeneracy, and fucking partners ruined it regardless of flash hulk anyway.

• Gifts Ungiven shouldn't be unbanned intuition should just also be banned.
  • Worldfire, Sway of the Stars could come off the banlist but do you really wanna see these played
  • It's pretty easy to cheat in permanents making biorythm deservedly banned imo.
  • Braids maybe could come off the banlist but only if the fast mana was banned wholesale, which arguably it should be.
  • Coalition Victory is the most random ban but removing it from the format does mean you don't have to fear getting got by a 5c commander
Yeah the banlist is somewhat inconsistent but it has targeted primarily cards that make gamestates and progress irelevant (worldfire, sway, upheaval), most of the p9, stuff you don't want to see cheated into play and/or getting blinked over and over, generals w/ particularly egregious play styles and efficiency therein

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the commander banlist is deliberately slow moving and most of these mentioned cards have a place on the banlist. The commander banlist is not responsible for the shit that happens in cEDH, no one ever bothered balancing it so of course now it's pure degeneracy, and fucking partners ruined it regardless of flash hulk anyway.

• Gifts Ungiven shouldn't be unbanned intuition should just also be banned.
  • Worldfire, Sway of the Stars could come off the banlist but do you really wanna see these played
  • It's pretty easy to cheat in permanents making biorythm deservedly banned imo.
  • Braids maybe could come off the banlist but only if the fast mana was banned wholesale, which arguably it should be.
  • Coalition Victory is the most random ban but removing it from the format does mean you don't have to fear getting got by a 5c commander
Yeah the banlist is somewhat inconsistent but it has targeted primarily cards that make gamestates and progress irelevant (worldfire, sway, upheaval), most of the p9, stuff you don't want to see cheated into play and/or getting blinked over and over, generals w/ particularly egregious play styles and efficiency therein

Honestly, I tend to agree with you on most everything you lay out here. I guess I mostly feel like the ban list choices don't really have any connection with what I find most abusive in my playgroup. We had an arms race of sorts a few years back that pushed things to the point where the only viable decks were cedh worthy. Now, at work I'm playing with a broader selection of people and boy do most of my decks feel disgusting to play.

If the rules committee is trying to retain some of the original spirit of EDH, I don't feel like they are quite on the mark. Gifts is a great example where I totally understand it being banned...but only if you ban Intuition too. I'd argue that the latter leads to just as many degenerate plays and due to its mana cost can be even more efficient. And yet, I run it. Because I want my combo decks to not get left in the dust when the Tymna player is aiming to Hermit Druid turn 2.

In conclusion, maybe the problem is none of these things and maybe it's just my friends. Or maybe partner/4-color generals were not a great idea.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anyone's going to pre release and will have an extra code they're willing to sell for $2, let me know. I'll buy it off you.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The nostalgia factor in Rav3.2 is real between Absorb, a 4-mana Wrath, a Fires Variant, Birthing Pod 2 and a 5cc Hasty Dragon w/ upside.
I'm sure I've asked this before of you guys and had it answered, but have they ever shown interest in the rebel mechanic again or made statements about not doing it? Other than that one moment where Armageddon was legal with Invasion, it wasn't OP but I found it an interesting mechanic.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I've asked this before of you guys and had it answered, but have they ever shown interest in the rebel mechanic again or made statements about not doing it? Other than that one moment where Armageddon was legal with Invasion, it wasn't OP but I found it an interesting mechanic.
If they do a mechanic like that again it'll be Mercs and not Rebels. Chaining down wasn't broken at all, chaining up was.

But the problem is that it's such ridiculous raw card advantage relative to current design that they'd have to pretty much suck.

Limited Set Review - Orzhov, Simic, and Colorless
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what Mark Rosewater said years ago.

gtrobber asked: Where is the Rebel or Mercenary mechanic on the storm scale?
I'd call Rebel an 9 and Mercenary an 8.

March 28, 2013

nyktos asked: What's wrong with the rebel mechanic?
1) Unpopular.
2) Overpowered. (Yes, this one we could fix.)
3) Lots and lots of shuffling.

September 18, 2012

frequency42 asked: Why are rebels 9 and mercenaries 8 on the storm scale? Also why are both so high up?
We are much more cautious about repetitive game state these days. Mechanics like rebels and mercenaries (especially rebels) lead to games where the same thing happens game after game.

March 30, 2013

~~~

Limited Set Review - Orzhov
Limited Set Review - Simic and Colorless

He forgot Rakdos, I guess.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Went Azorius aggro fliers since I got Dovin, WU Shockland, two 1W 2 damage (5 on addendum), 2 salamandrakes, plus a shit ton of flying stuff. Failed spectaculary but caught people by susprise, won some matches and was a blast to play.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting that SigmasonicX .

That's an interesting response re overpowered. Rebels were Tier 1 but didn't feel overpowered back then in Standard, and Mercs never got played. I guess with the creep on creature power level in the intervening 19 years (...oh my god), new rebels, if scaled appropriately, would be dangerous.

Sergeant and Falcon today seem quaint, but if those get upgraded, then I get the concern.

Edit - the 3RR dragon that has Fire as an activated ability just beat my brains in 2-0, jeez

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked the rares I got in Cardmarket and between Dovin, Shockland, 2x Kaya's Wrath, Detention//Defensor and a couple more, the pack pretty much paid itself lmao

Edit: also got a foil Biomancers Familiar from the seeded pack and a foil Thrash//Threat that I intend on using :3

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just checked the rares I got in Cardmarket and between Dovin, Shockland, 2x Kaya's Wrath, Detention//Defensor and a couple more, the pack pretty much paid itself lmao

Edit: also got a foil Biomancers Familiar from the seeded pack and a foil Thrash//Threat that I intend on using :3
Just as an FYI, card prices are generally inflated before the actual release (next Friday), so unless you move the cards right now don't pay too much attention to the prices.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just as an FYI, card prices are generally inflated before the actual release (next Friday), so unless you move the cards right now don't pay too much attention to the prices.

Yeah, I know. I'll try to get some trades done tomorrow and Sunday, at least for a Shockland that I actually need. I don't know if I should keep Dovin in case it spikes, it's really dirty if you have some fliers or unblockable creatures already in the board so it's actually feasible to activate its ultimate (I managed to do it twice)

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing some Mardu tonight. It's been interesting.

But that land base tho lmao there used to be basics, but I couldn't cast shit so they got less and less until there's a single plains now for some reason

4 Hunted Witness
4 Gutterbones
4 Hero of Precinct One
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Judith, the Scourge Diva
2 Tajic, Legion's Edge
2 Elenda, the Dusk Rose
2 Seraph of the Scales
3 Mortify
2 Carnival // Carnage
1 Bedevil
4 Blood Crypt
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Dragonskull Summit
1 Plains

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Prerelease was a lot of fun! I went 0-2 on all three rounds, but some of those games were really close. I went with simic for my kit and my prerelease promo was a Zegana, Utopian Speaker. Also put a Simic Ascendency in there. Being able to keep paying to put counters on stuff is neat. I also pulled a Judith and a Lavinia, but I didn't have anything good to support them. After the fact I realized I should have splashed red since I got a decent number of red and red/green dudes, so I went ahead and restructured the deck and then played it with some friends, which was fairly successful.
As a casual player, I'm not quite sure where I'll go from here. Honestly, sealed was a lot of fun, and if I had the time I'd totally go to one again tomorrow, but eh. Maybe I'll do a draft in the coming weeks and then try and get something new together for Standard Constructed, idk.

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018
It looks like my Dimir Control deck won't survive the latest release :( Time to buy Teferi and go esper control, I guess.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BUUUULLLSHIT
XA9y82P.png

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Clear the Mind is another card you absolutely should take into account for limited. The chances of drawing again the bomb that just got used, killed or milled into the graveyard are really high on a 40 cards deck.

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Got to go Gruul with a splash of black. Opened Spawn of Mayhem and Rakdos, the Showstopper but lacked black meat and potatoes. Managed to splash the Rakdos and 2x Ill-gotten Inheritance. Pulled 3 of the riot cat, some of the big green riot creatures, the 5 mana instant return 2 creatures from gy(got to play Rakdos twice in 1 game), but was pretty sparse on fight/removal. Managed to go 2-1 for the night. Got spanked by an Esper deck in round 3. His removal was just too clean and I couldn't keep up with his lifegain and Seraph of Angels. Faced a rakdos deck round one who was a newer player. Round 2 was a Simic deck that went back and forward but was able to get board control and take control.

Overall had fun with the format. If I play again this weekend i'll most likely try Orzhov. Didn't get to see much Azorius in action and it was the only guild that had leftovers.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
3-1 playing Mardu. Did a lot better than I thought I would but I had the Elesh Norn enchantment and that is just fucking nuts.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, went 1-2. Worst draw ever even tho I had a very very decent rakdos splash gruul deck.

Got some arena codes as well for you folks, I'll give em out over the WE.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Christ, my sealed pool had Nikya of the Old Ways, Hydroid Krasus, and Biogenic Ooze. That was some greasy bullshit.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I lost three games 1-2, but I managed to win one 2-1 against who I suspect was one of the most hardcore players because afterwards he was fuming, lmao. Didn't even shake my hand.
The last match was against a really cool and understanding dude, we even stopped to talk and play some more games, he also gave me some tips on the deck (which were to put back the cards I removed after the very first game lol). I should have probably gone Orzhov instead of Rakdos, I really couldn't do much against those damn fliers.

All in all enjoyable, but for socially awkward people like me Arena is better. I'd like to go back for other events though, if only to spectate

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned it last night and I'm saying it again since I'm getting some more reports from other friends: Azorius flyers seem to totally be a thing, and is easily supported by Simic blue flying creatures and Orzhov white birds and afterlife bodies that leave even more flying spirits. If done right (and I did some times) you're going to be pecked to death if you don't out-aggro them so be prepared.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How did that person open 7 rares/mythics? I only see one foil which would be the seeded pack (maybe just picture quality). How are there 6 non-foil rare/mythics?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I'll share the second one I get tomorrow, already wasted my first one and blew it because I got absolutely unplayable rares in the 3 boosters and the three opponents I faced all managed to snatch Rakdos The Showstopper + something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.