• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
I really don't get why everyone is freaking out about an EDH-specific Negate variant even if it's a free cast. If your deck relies on 1-2 noncreature spells resolving without any recourse to get it back/recast it then you've built your deck wrong, competitive or not, and if your only out was to cast that spell then you were probably losing anyway. Then the other two-plus players beat down on the blue mage and all is right in the world.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious (as I don't play eternal, and have little knowledge therein) - what does this 'break'? in terms of legacy?

Maybe death and taxes (is that still even a deck at this point?) by being able to tax more heavily, as 'free' recursion is always powerful, but I'm not sure what else this really accelerates compared to sneak and show or counterbalance, or what have you.

(As earlier mentioned, my knowledge of eternal is super out of date, the three decks I listed are really the only ones I know of, lol)
Death and Taxes would have to give up Recruiter of the Guard, Flickerwisp, Palace Jailer, Moran Crusader... Too much to really justify this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get why everyone is freaking out about an EDH-specific Negate variant even if it's a free cast. If your deck relies on 1-2 noncreature spells resolving without any recourse to get it back/recast it then you've built your deck wrong, competitive or not, and if your only out was to cast that spell then you were probably losing anyway. Then the other two-plus players beat down on the blue mage and all is right in the world.
The problem isn't that it can counter the 1 spell that wins you the game if cast.

It's that it also can and will stop people from countering or otherwise interacting with that 1 spell.

EDH is already a format where tempo and resource management are relaxed, and free protection for your win cons just exacerbates those issues. The last thing the game needs is another Pact of Negation.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
The problem isn't that it can counter the 1 spell that wins you the game if cast.

It's that it also can and will stop people from countering or otherwise interacting with that 1 spell.

EDH is already a format where tempo and resource management are relaxed, and free protection for your win cons just exacerbates those issues. The last thing the game needs is another Pact of Negation.

I mean yeah I get it, but there are already cards that do this albeit not as efficiently. I don't know what your local meta is like but in mine, even in the more competitive league games, I have yet to see a counterspell war like you're describing.

Of course the simplest answer is to base your wincons around multiple creatures but I get that playstule is not for everyone.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Man seeing how bad the new Ikoria battle pass is for Arena has completely killed my hype for this release. I really hope WotC changes their minds on it.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah I get it, but there are already cards that do this albeit not as efficiently. I don't know what your local meta is like but in mine, even in the more competitive league games, I have yet to see a counterspell war like you're describing.

Of course the simplest answer is to base your wincons around multiple creatures but I get that playstyle is not for everyone.
I kinda have to say, if you aren't seeing counter wars going on, then you aren't really playing in competitive environments. Basically every competitive table has *at least* one deck that will run numerous counterspells. Generally, what you're looking to do with those counters is protect your own combos from going off, not stop other players' (depending on your decks' strategy of course). I daresay this is actually better than Force of Negation in CEDH. I know I want a copy for every single deck I run with blue. My only non-blue deck being Gitfrog, and dear lord do I wish I could run this in there.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
After seeing the Locust God reveal in C20 I went through and organized some old cards back from Rivals drafts and guild pre-release. To my surprise I found a Locust God when adding (mostly bulk) rares to my binders. Not only that, seems I also opened Oketra and Rhonas in drafts. I really want to get back into the game but I hate standard and the only shop that I had great experiences drafting at, only holds drafts on Friday in the middle of the day when I am at work. Hopefully when all this is over I can find a store that does casual drafts without repooling the rares at a decent prize. My last store didn't have prizes to bring down the price but would give out the FNM winning promo to everyone.

How are drafts in Arena, any fun?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How are drafts in Arena, any fun?

Not free (you either have to get Gold by playing other modes or pay up for premium currency, Gems) and you're drafting with bots. The drafts you can enter with Gold are Bo1. Bo3 drafts (Traditional, as it's called in game) can only be bought with Gems. The only way to earn Gems without paying real money is to grind through Bo1 drafts.

Sealed is available at the start of new sets (Gem pay-in only) so not available at the moment. They're currently trialing Cube Sealed for Gold or Gems pay-in, but you don't keep any of the cards you draft, unlike all other draft modes.

Actually playing it is fine though.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yup , I am getting the commander box set. I ain't missing another commander 2016

Honestly, while I really, REALLY regret that 2016 was the one year I just plain forgot to buy the set, I'm not sure this year's main product is going to be the next 'big power creep' moment.

Some of the commanders are cool, and the cycling jeskai one seems abuse-able, but I personally don't foresee any of these commanders reaching Atraxa or Breya levels of desire.

IMO they powered back a bit after the big 'mistakes' with eminence and 'general' partner, and have been trying to find a balance since then.

If anything, Commander Legends will be the 'pushed' set with tons of OP legends.

...That, or Zendikar commander, which they've already said will have much more reprints compared to the 'new' decks we're getting now - but we've been burned by the 'there'll be tons of reprint value' before with Gavin, so....take that with a grain of salt.

Parcelbeast; Hornbash Mentor; The Ozolith; Fight as One
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

A Monster of a Set Design

Dave Humpherys, set design lead for Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, dives into the diverse mechanics that make up this monster of a set.

* Cards like Arboreal Grazer and Leyline Prowler were meant to be plants for the old version of mutate that only worked on creatures that shared a type or keyword.
* Mutate is centered in Simic colors.

en_oxPGbn4ZSB.png
en_ZRjU27f2S3.png

I feel like this is the mutate most likely to actually see play, since you can "haste" out the activation cost for 1GU.

en_5tiKkATSAp.png

Surprised to see a mix of counters on one card.

en_xEjALs87So.png

Seems fun

* Dave Humpherys and others were very interesting in mechanics that made use of deck building constraints, and he saw an opportunity in Ikoria. It was intended to be easy to pull out if it was troublesome.
* Unlike Khans of Tarkir, there are no three-color cards at common and uncommon.
* Humans are focused in white-black.
* There are lots of cards encouraging you to play both humans and monsters.

en_dUXtmT9U1F.png

Seems pretty good.

* Cycling is focused in white-red.
* Compared to Amonkhet, there are many more cards with low cycling costs. Due to the set's multicolored nature, few cycling costs are colored.

magic.wizards.com

Worldbuilding Ikoria | Magic: The Gathering

Meris Mullaley asks Doug Beyer, Andrew Vallas, and Jehan Choo about the creation of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoth's unique world.

* They got people who did concept art for Simic to develop this world, of course.
* The thing that really kickstarted Ikoria was this concept image drawn for "Monster Island World"

3_CreatureBond_SamBurley.png

* There was an idea of the landscape ever changing and evolving too, but that was too close to Zendikar.
* How mutate looks in-world

6_CricketEvolutionChart_Burley.png

* Nightmares were including to appeal to fans of "whoa, what even is that?!" monsters.
* This sketch makes reference to a classic Magic card.

20_SmallNightmare01.png

More art in the article.

Essence Symbiote; Weaponize the Monsters; Jubilant Skybonder; Momentum Rumbler; Heartless Act; Reptilian Reflection
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
7pjjgf7aycr41.png

"Mutate Liking Beast" - 1G
Creature - Beast

Whenever a creature you control mutates, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and you gain 2 life.

rif-1586254843235.png

I guess this is for decks that don't want to pile up monsters.

uff1rt6fber41.png

"Owl Beast Rider" - 1(W/U)(W/U)
Creature - Human Wizard
Creatures you control with flying have "spells your opponents cast that target this cost 2 more to cast"
2/2

Seems good.

magmacharger.png

Magma Charger 3R
Creature - Dinosaur
Whenever Magma Charger attacks, if it doesn't have first strike, put a first strike counter on it.
Whenever Magma Charger attacks, if it has first strike, it gains doublestrike until end of turn.
3/3

Interesting

KA971XP.png

This could be big.

xmramcy5jfr41.png

Reptilian Mirroring 2R
Enchantment
Whenever you cycle a card, ~ becomes a 5/4 dinosaur with Trample and Haste until end of turn

Seems fun.

Last edited:

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Any idea how local games stores are going to be able to support a launch? Very few places have an online store setup.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not enough cards in Horse tribal at all, and Unicorn is its own type and even uses "Mare" in naming. Yes I would love to make a Horse tribal EDH deck.

It's small decisions like this (snake vs naga for example) I will never understand.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iko-362-the-ozolith.png

What the hell? This card is awesome. This is gonna be a monster in certain decks with all these new 'trample counter' and such going around.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
That cat is gonna be an easy cheap body with upside to mutate off of in limited and i'm going to feel bad every time i kill it. Then the owner is gonna come looking for it and it's gonna be so awkward.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
iko-362-the-ozolith.png

What the hell? This card is awesome. This is gonna be a monster in certain decks with all these new 'trample counter' and such going around.
Yeah, this feels like this set's lucky clover. A low costed artifact that you dump way more mana into the removal than ever feels good, but if you don't deal with it in certain decks they just run away with the game.

At least this one is legendary. Not that doubling up would do anything other than have redundancy on the board, but at 1 mana, it's not a huge problem to keep on ein your hand for whenever.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I have created an exciting new format that will save Magic from itself.

It's just Commander except no one's allowed to play the color blue.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC

So this is out, and I just finished it. It was a very enjoyable experience.

Lukka is very well written red character from the start, driven by his goals and passion.

The middle and end of the story is something I never thought would happen, and the story beats I'm sure will echo through the story forward to come.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lukka is very well written red character from the start, driven by his goals and passion.

The middle and end of the story is something I never thought would happen, and the story beats I'm sure will echo through the story forward to come.
I finished it too. Agreed on it being enjoyable.

I was surprised by how different Lukka's arc in the book ended up being what's the cards.

Also, the voice in the Ozolisk is totally

Oko

Emergent Ultimatum; Jegantha, the Wellspring; Duskfang Mentor; Eerie Ultimatum; Song of Creation; Frillscare Mentor; Sonorous Howlbonder; Kaheera, the Orphanguard; Narset of the Ancient Way; Drannith Healer; Ruinous Ultimatum; Farfinder
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Emergent Ultimatum | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

If you want to do something ultimate with Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, then Blake's card preview is just for you!

en_Gmu3mkU6IP.png

Pretty explosive effect.

jeganthathewellspring1.jpg

Interesting, an anti-devotion card.

maycgranglr41.png

Twilight Master
Creature ~ Human / Monk
When Twilight Master enters the battlefield, put a lifelink counter on the target non-human creature you control.
1B, Tap: Put a + 1 / + 1 counter on each creature you control with lifelink.
1/3

Seems decent.

Eerie_Ultimatum_EN_1.png

Powerful effect.

EVFkipZU4AcyBCh

Interesting, encouraging storm play on your turn. Might work well with Experimental Frenzy? EDIT: Wait, forgot about Frenzy's top of library restriction. This doesn't play well with that or Fires.

unknown.png

Frillscare Mentor
Creature - Human Warrior
When Frillscare Mentor enters the battlefield, put a menace counter on target non-Human creature you control.
2R, tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with menace.
3/2

Higher cost to add counters, but it's stronger on its own.

d6pe21qjrlr41.png

Super menace!

t2mb0mmnwlr41.png

It could go either way if this is worth it.

8zu2kroqrlr41.jpg

EVFyxlNXQAArq2b

Random Narset! Looks weak after the age of 3-mana planeswalkers, but could still be decent.

Captura.PNG

"Healer" - 1W
Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever you cycle another card, gain 1 life.
Cycling 1.
2/2

Good for Limited, if only for Cycling 1.

nqwADz3.png

Seems really good with multiple opponents.

EVF7fS8WkAIf5UH

Weird to see this as a non-artifact colorless creature.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Wouldn't mind some spoiler tagged spoilers as to what you are referring...

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I finished it too. Agreed on it being enjoyable.

I was surprised by how different Lukka's arc in the book ended up being what's the cards.

Also, the voice in the Ozolisk is totally

Oko
Lukka's arc on the cards is only a more elaborate version of the first half of the story I feel.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Are the new wedge ultimatums seriously not in commander 2020?....Dafuq, wizards.

Also, some rampant speculation in terms of prices, admittedly....but the black 'free' commander exile is at 16 bucks? People must be speculating the shit out of it.

Heck, the blue free negate is 25 bucks.

Shoulda bought two sets and sold off extras, I'd have made my money back and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.