• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBF this time they make colored artifacts pretty commonly, I don't think it'll be a problem (at least not BECAUSE it's artifacts).
I mean, between the artifacts and the fact that they're trying to capture what is kind of a legendary part of the lore I could see it being extremely tough on the balance front. But yeah, colored artifacts will help.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I won't even care about the balance, I'll just immerse myself in the lore. I'm gonna be that guy holding up the draft because I'm too busy reading the flavor text.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The four main sets look cool. I'm giddy about Brothers War - Antiquities was my first set and captured my 6th grade imagination, so I'm beyond excited.

The rest, yeah I'll keep it positive and just say I'm clearly not the target audience.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Brothers War is like, the Dominaria set also intrigues me some, but I'm more cautious about that one.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot Ophiomancer only got one printing in its paper existence. The only times I've seen it is in cube. I don't think I've ever seen one in EDH lol

Phyrexian Arena is overpriced for what it does (and could get reprinted at a later time) and lol flip Liliana

The red collection better have Dockside Extortionist.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot Ophiomancer only got one printing in its paper existence. The only times I've seen it is in cube. I don't think I've ever seen one in EDH lol

Phyrexian Arena is overpriced for what it does (and could get reprinted at a later time) and lol flip Liliana

The red collection better have Dockside Extortionist.
Phyrexian Arena always felt to me like such a weird card. It's too expensive and slow for Spike to care, but too "Spike-y" for Timmy or Johnny to care. Like, who is it for? I remember back in the Odyssey Standard some people ran it on their MBC decks, but it always felt like an almost-dead card to me.

By the time Dark Confidant came into the game, I still saw players running Arena and I remember this one guy asking me why I was using Bob instead, like, I was crazy or something for running an almost broken card that allowed me to put more spells and less lands in my deck. They honestly thought Phyrexian Arena was way better.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's because of EDH demand. I just don't rate it that much since $20 is nearly Rhystic Study money. Even if you're not playing blue, there are so many other options that cost peanuts instead. Promise of Power, Painful Truths, Underworld Connections in black. Valakut Exploration, Outpost Siege, Vance's Blasting Cannons in red. Green has a ton of card draw options. Only in white you're out of luck.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
So, Dragon's Rage Channeler. It seems the price is rising for this one. I'm thinking if I should get a set sooner.
Is it like Tarmogoyf? (If you're green, just play Tarm?)
or does it require more effort to activate?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
While it's true that it doesn't see a ton of play, it's a great card in commander. I believe the only reason it isn't in more decks is because it's expensive and only has 1 printing. It does work in any aristocrats deck, which is where I play mine.
That's fair. Maybe a higher supply means it will see more play.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So, Dragon's Rage Channeler. It seems the price is rising for this one. I'm thinking if I should get a set sooner.
Is it like Tarmogoyf? (If you're green, just play Tarm?)
or does it require more effort to activate?
In Modern, it's pretty trivial to get delirium active, at least until they ban Mishra's Bauble. The surveil ability isn't nothing, either. That said, you do need to think about deck construction a bit.

Midnight Hunt teaser
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Maro's Midnight Hunt Teaser

Before previews for Midnight Hunt officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• three popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return [originally two, but he blanked on transform]
• a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper
• a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn
• a popular Innistrad card gets reprinted
• a curse that transforms into a creature

• two permanents that can double something every turn
• a mythic cycle with "you may pay [COST] any number of times"
• a four mana blue aura with "You control enchanted creature."
• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.
• a character from Innistrad once mentioned in a short story finally gets a card in an Innistrad set

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• "If your life total would be reduced to 0 or less,"
• "This spell costs 1 less to cast for each creature you attacked with this turn."
• "As [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, note your life total."
• "put a slime counter on up to one other target creature."
• "Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3."

• "Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has"
• "Instants and sorcery spells you cast cost X less to cast, where X is [CARDNAME]'s power."
• "put that many +1/+1 counters on [CARDNAME], then create twice that many 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens"
• "At the beginning of your end step, if you have exactly 13 life,"
• "You may cast any number of the copies without paying their mana costs."

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:

• Creature – Hippogriff Spirit
• Creature – Human Soldier Werewolf
• Creature – Dragon Egg
• Creature – Leech Horror
• Creature – Fungus Horror

• Creature – Plant Horror
• Creature – Drake Horror
• Creature – Demon Dog
• Legendary Creature - Ooze
• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble

Tune in Thursday, Sept. 2 on Twitch.tv/magic at 9 a.m. PT as we kick off Innistrad: Midnight Hunt previews!

One of the returning Innistrad mechanics is obviously flashback. Curse is unclear if it counts.

And requesting titles for the next thread again.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Magic: the Gathering |OT| : Innistrad 3: Season of the Witch (after haloween 3)
Magic: the Gathering |OT| : Innistrad 3: Day of the Dead (after candyman 3)
Magic: the Gathering |OT| : Innistrad 3-D (after jaws 3)

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
• "Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has"
Sounds like they're going to make a "fixed" version of Snappy. Will they fail? Yes, it will either be so good people will start to replace Snappy for this, or so bad no one will ever want to play it.

• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.
Well, good for us, Snappy only has two arts, so it's probably... Pithing Needle? Blood Moon?

Oh, Ok, then, Snappy is back?

I want Snappy.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
• a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn
These can only mean three things:
White Rhystic Study
Snapcaster Mage
Birds of Paradise

Let's gooooooooo

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, it actually fits, looking at the Gatherer, it seems it only has ever gotten 4 arts? But these days Llanowar Elves seem to be 'too strong', I don't want to know what they think about Brids of Paradise.
TBH Birds of Paradise is a bit weak for green these days. Let it draw a card when it ETB, now we're cooking

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted, if Snapcaster gets reprinted it will be more affordable and everyone can get some if they missed out

On the other hand, god dammit I don't want to play against that in Standard lol

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
TBH Birds of Paradise is a bit weak for green these days. Let it draw a card when it ETB, now we're cooking
They're not even printing turn one mana dorks these days. The latest attempt was Golden Goose, and while that *looked* like crap it was a good enough simulation of BoP to allow Green to just skip turn two.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
After Dominaria Standard, I think it's clear that they now consider even Llanowar Elves too strong for Standard, or at least something they have to design the entire Standard around like Lightning Bolt.

Feb 16, 2018
there were rumors that birds of paradise would be in standard (because some wotc directors wanted it in pioneer), but the sets around the time had cards such as

once upon a time
oko
uro
a dozen other banned cards
10 other nerfed cards

so those rumored plans got scrapped

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to say again that "Champion of the Perished" is a God tier callback.

End-of-Year Regional Celebration Judge Promos
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
End-of-Year Regional Celebration Judge Promos. Looks like they were printed a while ago, since they don't have Phyrexian creature types and they still say "converted mana cost".

IMG_20210831_165948.jpg
IMG_20210831_165950.jpg

IMG_20210831_165953.jpg
IMG_20210831_165956.jpg

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
OT draft

jsu23sfbyE1.jpg

Arena Release Date: September 16, 2021
Prerelease Date: September 17–23, 2021
Paper Release Date: September 24, 2021

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Where to find previews
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics
Next set: Innistrad: Crimson Vow
Story archive
Premier events schedule

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Last time in Magic, there was an out-of-continuity crossover with Dungeons & Dragons, but before that, we visited the magic school of Strixhaven. In the process of protecting the campus from an evil organization, new planeswalkers Will and Rowan Kenrith grew to understand themselves, and Liliana learned to let go of the past and move forward as a teacher.

This time...

On the gothic horror plane of Innistrad, the nights grow longer as the autumn Harvesttide Festival approaches—longer than even the time of year should allow, and the monsters are taking notice. Having lost the guardian archangel Avacyn, people fear an endless night is approaching and are turning to dark and ancient rituals to bring back the day.

Innistrad sets are focused on the graveyard, transforming double-faced cards, and monsters. Spirits, zombies, vampires, and werewolves call the plane their home, plus all manners of miscellaneous nasties. In Midnight Hunt, werewolves take the forefront; vampires will lead the charge in the next set, Crimson Vow.

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt will feature two tie-in Commander decks.

In the Standard format, the following sets will be legal.
  • Zendikar Rising
  • Kaldheim
  • Strixhaven: School of Mages
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Yup, as the title said, we're finally leaving behind Throne of Eldraine and its seemingly endless Standard. And with that...

Banned cards in Standard.
Almost hard to believe a Standard ban list could be this small again.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. This set has 100-card Commander decks that are meant to serve as an introduction, though note that these cards can't be used for most formats outside of Commander, a casual multiplayer format. Challenger Decks (2021 edition) will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually. Note that many cards in these will have rotated out by the time this set releases, however.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. Check if in-person events are back at your local game store. Find local game stores here.

gBOYHkzfc7.jpg

Set details
Arena Release Date:
September 16, 2021
Prerelease Date: September 17–23, 2021
Paper Release Date: September 24, 2021
Card image gallery
Variant image gallery
Mechanics

Flashback
en_kr7wFIHjUO.png

Some things never truly end. A mainstay of Magic, spells with flashback can be cast from your hand like normal, but then you can later cast them from your graveyard for the flashback cost. When you do this, the card is exiled and can't be cast again. Note that if you mill a card with flashback, you can still cast it from your graveyard for the flashback cost. It's almost like drawing a card!

OTHER THREADS
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Kaldheim
Zendikar Rising
Core Set 2021
Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Theros: Beyond Death
Throne of Eldraine
Core Set 2020
War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guilds of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Arena on Gaming side
Arena Closed Beta on Gaming side
Rivals of Ixalan
Great Designer Search 3
First Hangouts OT
http://www.**********/forum/showthread.php?t=1424890 - Last GAF thread - Ixalan

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Regular columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); and Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors. Other articles are used for card previews.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards.
Game store locator

unknown.png

Last edited:
Daybound/nightbound leaks
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks from a conference call

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

y27zsqvf2yk71.jpg

Points of confusion people have had:
* You only start tracking day/night once a daybound creature enters the battlefield, or a spells sets it to day/night.
* If it's night, daybound creatures enter the battlefield transformed to the nightbound side.
* The turn to day and night cases are slightly different from the old werewolf transform condition: it only cares if a player casts two spells or cast no turns on their own turn now.

Also,
image0.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Well Arlinn is no Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.

I do hope Arlinn gets to do something finally. There's been a lot of walkers lately who got disappointing stories and character development. Jace, Nahiri and Nissa in Zendikar Rising, Tibalt and Kaya in Kaldheim, Will and Rowan in Strixhaven, who were even the main story characters in Forgotten Realms?

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I like the mechanic as an expansion to the original werewolf rules. Opens it up for them to do a lot more with it

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It could be interesting, if a little hard to keep track of, to effectively have two separate boardstates dependent on whether it's Day or Night. Certain deck archetypes are going to naturally create one state more often than the other, not just in whatever archetypes this mechanic creates, but also in existing decks: Flash and Tempo decks are less likely to cast spells on their own turn and so may be a tougher matchup for strategies that rely on Daybound effects, and similarly Storm and Cheap Aggro for Nightbound.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
It could be interesting, if a little hard to keep track of, to effectively have two separate boardstates dependent on whether it's Day or Night. Certain deck archetypes are going to naturally create one state more often than the other, not just in whatever archetypes this mechanic creates, but also in existing decks: Flash and Tempo decks are less likely to cast spells on their own turn and so may be a tougher matchup for strategies that rely on Daybound effects, and similarly Storm and Cheap Aggro for Nightbound.
I imagine decks will be more concerned about switching back and forth rather than staying on one side continuously. Huntmaster of the Fells was the best OG werewolf after all

Status
Not open for further replies.