• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
They did say it was 2000 years into the future....

There was also a snippet on how the 'emperor' of Kamigawa is a 'familiar face' (and also a planeswalker) - if I had to guess, the tech focus probably means Tezzeret snuck off and/or has been ruling Kamigawa and influencing it?

(seems they're trying to cash in a bit on the cyberpunk trend - I agree it's a bit of a break/weird divergence for a 'return' type set)

Most of the time, yes - but there have been a few '4 of a single' type releases like Mother of Runes or Thalia that were (presumably) intended for play as a 4-of in certain decks.

that's cool then. i skipped the bob ross lands, but maybe the street fighter cards might be interesting enough for me to get a box. i do hope those warhammer 40k lands make it to arena even though the cards / box sets definitely aren't.

Yes, although they did a walking dead one which was controversial because it had new cards that aren't obtainable anywhere else, and they are doing the same for Street Fighter. People might be less angry though as SF is miles better as a property than Walking Dead.

i haven't bought any paper magic since like the early 2000s so most of this stuff is in one ear out the other for me. i'm sure they sell well otherwise they wouldn't be printing them but what are the odds of you running into someone running secret lair only cards/commanders at your local store's FNM?

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk Kamigawa has always been a "thing" - Kamigawa (the original block) is an outlier in that it takes place thousands of years ago, even when it was released. The obtuse flavor of the original block (combined with not-so-great mechanics) is why they never returned, so MaRo has been asking for years on his blog if people would prefer a new Japan-inspired plane, or to keep Kamigawa and throw out like 90% of the lore and mechanics.

I suspect it's not going to scratch the itch for Kamigawa fans (like me!) who will be getting a "careful what you wish for" situation.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Space goblins, Warhammer 40k, Ghost in Kamigawa, Lord of the Rings, Street Fighter, Fortnite, Dominaria redux, anime art style collector cards again.

But no Ravnica or Alara. What a strange timeline...

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

What Happened in Magic Showcase 2021? | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Dominaria United. Magic on Netflix. The expanding Universes Beyond. Here's everything from the Magic Showcase 2021 reveals!
Street Fighter celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2022, and we're joining in the fun with a Secret Lair drop featuring its iconic characters in ways only Magic can celebrate. Multikicker is the perfect mechanic for Chun Li, right?

You can find these mechanically unique cards in the upcoming Secret Lair drop. You'll also be able to pick up in-universe versions in future releases, included as part of The List in Set Boosters.

Ah right, forgot about this. MTG Chun-Li is going to have real "Square-Enix's Avengers" energy

magic.wizards.com

On The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth™ Format Legality | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth™ joins both Modern and Historic when the set arrives in 2023.

They sort of coasted past this in the video, but the LotR set will be Modern legal. (Still won't be in Standard)

magic.wizards.com

Pioneer Challenger Decks 2021 | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Explore an amazing format at your local game store with four Pioneer format Challenger Decks ready to play out of the box!

We have the deck lists already! They're actually pretty stacked.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't bought any paper magic since like the early 2000s so most of this stuff is in one ear out the other for me. i'm sure they sell well otherwise they wouldn't be printing them but what are the odds of you running into someone running secret lair only cards/commanders at your local store's FNM?
The completely new Secret Liar Walked Dead cards are only legal in Legacy and Commander and from memory only one or two were marginally playable. So you might see them in a Commander deck but the odds are quite low while they manage the power level of cards printed this way. The problem is what happens to the price of the card if Ryu turns out to be a complete bomb.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally wanted to vomit over fortnite. Street Fighter....ugh fine, multikicker got me. But Streets of New Capenna looks like one of the best new environments in magic I've seen in years, that looks absolutely amazing to me. And the Brothers War looks awesome as well.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Commander Collection: Black Packaging and Contents | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Tap into the overwhelming might of Swamps for your next Commander deck with the powerful returning cards of Commander Collection: Black!

Forgot to mention earlier

ncQdwhWMa0.png

Innistrad: Double Feature combines select cards from two separate sets—Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow—into one unique draft experience featuring special art treatment on every card. Arriving exclusively to local game stores in early 2022, Innistrad: Double Feature lets you celebrate this fan-favorite setting with its own Limited environment in theatrical style.

unknown.png

Netflix show is coming late 2022, and will focus on Gideon, played by Brandon Routh. There will also be a prequel novel.
I really wonder how things fell apart to the point that the focus character of their big tie-in show is one that died years ago and they have no sign of focusing on again in the game.

The completely new Secret Liar Walked Dead cards are only legal in Legacy and Commander and from memory only one or two were marginally playable. So you might see them in a Commander deck but the odds are quite low while they manage the power level of cards printed this way. The problem is what happens to the price of the card if Ryu turns out to be a complete bomb.
Him being reprinted into set boosters (with a different name/art) will help there, at least.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm most curious on how they make (or don't hit) the W40k crossover.

Even if it's a supplemental commander-focused(only?) product, 40k's narrative design is so far removed from the 'family friendly'-esque 'all ages' design MTG usually strives for.

Even Innistrad was pretty tame in terms of the actual mechanics/art - it could be inferred to be pretty darn grim, but 40k is anything BUT subtle.

Deck-wise, I'm assuming we get some form of W/azorius Emperor/humans, Red/Rakdos Orcs, some kind of Green or Golgari Eldar (elves), and multi-color Tyranids (slivers)?

Him being reprinted into set boosters (with a different name/art) will help there, at least.

I forget, is it every 'unique' Secret lair card 'from now on' (i.e. not including TWD) will have function reprints 6+ months down the line? or is TWD functional reprinting also a possibility?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I forget, is it every 'unique' Secret lair card 'from now on' (i.e. not including TWD) will have function reprints 6+ months down the line? or is TWD functional reprinting also a possibility?
It's from now on. They specifically said The Walking Dead isn't included; I assume that was part of the contract they made. They left open the possibility of reprinting in the future, but I assume it requires renegotiating.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think TWD is the only one they can't for some reason, probably how they worded the rights and needs renegotiation to reprint them.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeesh what a mixed bag.

All the core sets (premium sets? or whatever the fuck marketing term theyre using now) look pretty interesting for 2022, everything else is like... fine i guess.

If theyre gonna do universes beyond, lotr is like the most unsurprising obvious choice. I guess itll be cool to play with lotr cards so sure i guess its fine. warhammer is whatever, kind of unexciting... the properties so far for secret lairs are big wtfs to me.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh what a mixed bag.

All the core sets (premium sets? or whatever the fuck marketing term theyre using now) look pretty interesting for 2022, everything else is like... fine i guess.

If theyre gonna do universes beyond, lotr is like the most unsurprising obvious choice. I guess itll be cool to play with lotr cards so sure i guess its fine. warhammer is whatever, kind of unexciting... the properties so far for secret lairs are big wtfs to me.

what properties are people hoping for?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm most curious on how they make (or don't hit) the W40k crossover.

Even if it's a supplemental commander-focused(only?) product, 40k's narrative design is so far removed from the 'family friendly'-esque 'all ages' design MTG usually strives for.

Even Innistrad was pretty tame in terms of the actual mechanics/art - it could be inferred to be pretty darn grim, but 40k is anything BUT subtle.

Deck-wise, I'm assuming we get some form of W/azorius Emperor/humans, Red/Rakdos Orcs, some kind of Green or Golgari Eldar (elves), and multi-color Tyranids (slivers)?
The Imperium of Man seems more like Boros. Chaos Marines are Rakdos. Orcs are Gruul?

Honestly I'm failing to find 40k races who are Bant alligned lol

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
It's from now on. They specifically said The Walking Dead isn't included; I assume that was part of the contract they made. They left open the possibility of reprinting in the future, but I assume it requires renegotiating.

Yeah, that makes sense - I guess at least they 'learned' their lesson (of appeasing the player base while still keeping the secret lairs super desirable with the nebulous delay until it eventually gets reprinted), at least?

The Imperium of Man seems more like Boros. Chaos Marines are Rakdos. Orcs are Gruul?

Honestly I'm failing to find 40k races who are Bant alligned lol

I feel like the Imperium has both Boros and Azorius elements - it has a focus to law and order (versus the 'chaos' of the other races and the chaos gods), but also is militarily-focused for sure....although I would think it unlikely for them to be Jeskai, given the traditional focus on spell-slinging jeskai has.

Gruul would make sense for orcs (maaaaaaybe jund, given the focus on rapid growth/throwing bodies as a 'sacrifice'), but I would kinda like to see a new side to gruul rather than big stompy yet again, if that makes sense?

Eldar could go Sultai to include the heavier focus on psyker ability they tend to exhibit.

White in general seems like it would be limited to humans (among the main races, at least).

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I feel like the Imperium has both Boros and Azorius elements - it has a focus to law and order (versus the 'chaos' of the other races and the chaos gods), but also is militarily-focused for sure....although I would think it unlikely for them to be Jeskai, given the traditional focus on spell-slinging jeskai has.

I don't know 40K, but I'd be tempted to make this Mardu.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I would welcome more non-spellslinging Jeskai commanders tbh. The only ones I can think of who are more combat focused are Shu Yun and Ruhan.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
"If Teferi has no loyalty, he abandons you."

Teferi really is a dad, huh?

Edit: So, Fortnite will be just reprints, but Chun-Li will have Multikicker, so it's likely that Street Fighter will be all-new cards.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Chun-Li having Multikicker is actually hilarious.

Looking forward to seeing the Dominaria and Brother's War sets. And I will fill out a Jumpstart 2022 cube over time.

But a lot of what they showed says to me they're expanding into areas I don't want to follow.

Weird time to be a Magic fan.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The LoadingReadyRun team worked on the names and flavor text for Unfinity

Also Seanbaby

the-goddess-of-hats asked:
If or when: the return of legendary instants and sorceries. I feel like they would have been right at home at Strixhaven but we haven't seen them since dominaria. Are they are unlikely to show up again?
They were the one unpopular thing from Dominaria.

August 24, 2021

hakuplaneswalker asked:
I noticed the picture for Streets of New Capenna reminds of art deco style, is that intentional?
: )

August 24, 2021

asktheguildpact asked:
Maro, having memebers of Loading Ready Run on the Creative Text team for Unfinity has me quite excited for it, i love their humor, it always resonates well with me. Glad yo see what the set looks like
It was a blast writing with them.

August 24, 2021

barrilmorel asked:
"-Hi Mark, is there a 2022 set you are particularly proud of?" - "Multiple. Ask me after the announcement video.". So, hi Mark, is there a 2022 set you are particularly proud of?
Yes, Unfinity. : )
It's the first set I led from the very beginning (exploratory design) to the very end (set design). I'm super proud of it.

August 24, 2021

corhydraeuniverse-blog asked:
Kamigawa and Lorwyn have always kinda been in the same position of "sold too badly, return is unlikely". May I draw conclusions from the new Kamigawa in regards to Lorwyn's chances at a return now?
Kamigawa success would help Lorwyn's chances.

August 24, 2021

So, Fortnite will be just reprints, but Chun-Li will have Multikicker, so it's likely that Street Fighter will be all-new cards.
Yes, they confirmed that.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
what properties are people hoping for?
Umm, thats a good question. I mean im definitely coming at it from a standpoint of I just dont really care for this and im looking for them to prove why it should exist outside of money grabbing. I guess i definitely would like them to stay in a more fantasy oriented realm, i'm really going to, truly fucking hate playing commander games where fortnite cards are randomly dropped. But lotr is kinda the boring 'of course thats what theyre doing' pick imo. Compounded with the fact that that somehow is the only high fantasy property chosen so far from all the crossovers of the past couple years of doing this stuff.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They could have done Warhammer Fantasy as well, but yeah, Lord of the Rings is more lucrative than a dead tabletop game.

RIP Warhammer Fantasy

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Put me solidly in the camp that says the four main sets sound FANTASTIC, while everything else sounds a little bit.... iffy... at best.

But even with the ancillary stuff... WOTC is so clever. Jumpstart 2022? I sleep. There's an anime card in every pack? OK, now you have my attention.

I'm a huge LOTR fan so I'm pumped for the Universes Beyond set but I'm actually shocked and kind of dismayed it's all Modern-legal? Doesn't feel right to have Frodo blocking Emrakul, or like.... The One Ring as an artifact. IDK. I guess if I didn't want them to be modern-legal I don't know what I wanted or expected. I guess the set just sounds BIGGER than I expected.

Feb 16, 2018
i'm not a fan of most of the universe beyond stuff, but but i do like to draft

having lord of the rings be modern/historic-legal forces them to put it on mtgo / arena, so i can be excited for that one at least

and to be honest, lord of the rings was the only tie-in that i even gave a crap about, so maybe i got lucky from that angle

(this is assuming the set is draftable. i don't actualy know if it is)

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
jeremewhy asked:
As someone who has been playing Magic (and been a Vorthos) since I saw a card called Urza's Tower in 3rd grade and wondered "Who is Urza?" I can't wait for The Brothers War, thank you so much, I feel like this was made for me personally.
Many of R&D are long-time players and we too are excited. The Brothers War was originally pitched as a supplemental product idea, but many of us old timers were like, "why couldn't this be a premier set?"

August 25, 2021

james-stors asked:
Now that Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty has been announced, where would you put all the original block's keyword mechanics on the Storm Scale for this set? Those mechanics being: Bushido, Soulshift, Splice, Ninjutsu (My Favorite), Offering, Channel, Sweep, and Epic.
I'm not saying nothing is returning, but be aware that the greatest weakness of original Kamigawa was it's mechanical components. As I've talked about on this blog many times (reinforced from feedback from many of you), a return is not leaning heavily on the named keywords/ability words of the original visit.

August 25, 2021

honor-basquiat asked:
Which set announced yesterday is replacing the Core Set?
Nothing is swapping for it directly. We decided to try having our four premier sets all be expansions that are put on specific worlds.

August 25, 2021

togatogatog asked:
Can you confirm that the main races of Kamigawa will return? Snakes, foxes, goblin, moon folk, rat, demon, spirit, and human?
I can't confirm details yet, but I can say we didn't return to Kamigawa to have everything be completely different.

August 25, 2021

tecjohnson asked:
Can you give a maybe on Elminster showing up in Commander Legends Baldur's Gate?
Maybe. : )

August 25, 2021

superfantasticpiratecollection asked:
Are Core sets gone for good, Mark?
Let's just say gone for now.

August 25, 2021

archetypalschematic asked:
So we've seen Tamiyo's home in one of the Kaladesh web stories, and it seemed very in-line with older Kamigawa. Is Tamiyo just very traditional or are there pockets of Kamigawa that have been less quick to change?
I can't get into details, but we were aware of everything written about Kamigawa and worked hard to not contradict anything.

August 25, 2021

22bebo asked:
Mark, can you confirm if the demon in the Streets of New Capena art is Ob Nixilis or not?
Yes, that's Ob Nixilis.

August 25, 2021

sigmasonicx asked:
Since core sets are gone (for now) does that mean you found alternative solutions to the problems with no core sets brought up in Metamorphosis 2.0?
Jump Start has proven to be great jumping on product, and we're working on other things to offset having no core set.

August 25, 2021

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want Core Sets to go back to being a bi-annual thing like they used to be until Tenth Edition.

Unless they make future Jump Start sets standard legal I don't see how it could be used to replace Core Sets.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want Core Sets to go back to being a bi-annual thing like they used to be until Tenth Edition.

Unless they make future Jump Start sets standard legal I don't see how it could be used to replace Core Sets.
I assume they're coming around to the idea that they don't have to onboard new players into Standard specifically. Metamorphosis 2.0 brought up that core sets are good places for reprints, but I also think they've decided that reprints don't have to be in Standard to bring the price down.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They just need to make sure they are putting in solid answers at all times if they don't have a catch-all like a Core set.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd agree with you, but Sylvan Library was expensive, and they threw that in the green one. Ophiomancer is cool, but it's not $50 Sylvan Library cool.
Hm. Solid point. I wonder what the time between Library's last printing and the Commander Collection was... it was in Eternal Masters?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Hm. Solid point. I wonder what the time between Library's last printing and the Commander Collection was... it was in Eternal Masters?

Yep. And the reprint didn't do anything to the price.

If I was in charge and I wanted to juice the EV of the black collection, I'd have replaced Ghoulcaller Gisa with Tinybones or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
wpn.wizards.com

Details About Our Two New WPN Play Programs

Get the info you need to start scheduling Store Championships and Commander Parties in EventLink now.

Details for LGS events

Store Championships have these prizes

ezdj1dmcms.jpg

Commander Parties have board game and video elements, playing out a story over time. It has this promo card.

ioumo7jt0r.jpg

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Looks like the TCG player low range for all the commander collection black cards would be around $80 which is what I think the green one was at the time of release for the cheapest versions of the cards. If I can get the non-foil collection for $50 like I got the green one for I'll grab it.

A new version of Demonic Tutor would have definitely been nice though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is my point.

Sylvan Library was printed in EM in 2016 then not until Commander Collection Green in Dec 2020.

Demonic Tutor last saw a printing, however minimal, in Strixhaven, which came out in April this year.

I simply wouldn't be shocked if that played into it not landing in this collection.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
The four main sets look cool. I'm giddy about Brothers War - Antiquities was my first set and captured my 6th grade imagination, so I'm beyond excited.

The rest, yeah I'll keep it positive and just say I'm clearly not the target audience.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Brother's War could be potentially cool - the art looks damn sweet, at least - but artifact sets have historically been... tricky.

I'm a sucker for art deco and cyberpunk so that's where my focus is at.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brother's War could be potentially cool - the art looks damn sweet, at least - but artifact sets have historically been... tricky.

I'm a sucker for art deco and cyberpunk so that's where my focus is at.
TBF this time they make colored artifacts pretty commonly, I don't think it'll be a problem (at least not BECAUSE it's artifacts).

Status
Not open for further replies.