• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, bunch of reveals from True Blood people

E5ERx94VkAUAGYz.png:large

Good for Ur-Dragon decks, not so much elsewhere

I wouldn't even play this in my mono red dragon tribal EDH deck. Wizards pls

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
Deborah Ann Woll and Joe Manganiello are big D&D nerds; Woll hosts (or maybe hosted?) one of those playthrough podcasts, and Manganiello has a giant fancy basement game room where he DMs. So it makes sense to pull them in for a D&D set.

Also, Joe Manganiello was a werewolf in True Blood.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
ham1cinr29871.jpg

Unimpressive rare, especially since gold dragons are meant to be super strong

4jexcgor29871.jpg

Note this includes your opponent's creatures.

ue4k08nr29871.jpg

rdkfmgnr29871.jpg

Straightforward names
New effect for green; this has traditionally been a black or red effect, but it's meant to represent granting deathtouch here.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine to me. It's a signet with upside in a dragon deck.
It's worse than a signet since it can only cast dragons. Liquimetal Torque just came out which is ace for mono red since it has artifact removal in spades. And before that Cursed Mirror which can double as a threat in the late game.

I don't doubt there are going to be mana rocks with upsides printed in future sets.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Appreciate the low-power and decidedly throwback style cards here, thematically much of this isn't far off from the kind of card you'd find cracking packs decades ago.

MH2 has caused all kinds of chaos in Legacy/Vintage and I would be very happy to have a set (or a streak of sets) that went back to 1-2 impact cards, 3-4 role players, rest nulls so the metagame can self-explore more.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Never considered they'd do a brand crossover set like this. How wild to have such traditional D&D things in Magic card form!

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It's worse than a signet since it can only cast dragons. Liquimetal Torque just came out which is ace for mono red since it has artifact removal in spades. And before that Cursed Mirror which can double as a threat in the late game.

I don't doubt there are going to be mana rocks with upsides printed in future sets.

Well, I'm still going to play it because half the nonland permanents in my Kolaghan deck are dragons, and because it's just more fun than Talisman of Indulgence even if it's not better.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Never considered they'd do a brand crossover set like this. How wild to have such traditional D&D things in Magic card form!
I absolutely love the idea. I've only been playing D&D for a couple of years but always appreciated the settings characters etc. so I'm really excited about it.

As part of the "Universes Beyond" thing they've got going on they're going to be making a Warhammer 40K one, and even though I've played that for years I'm nowhere near as excited about it as I am for this set.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
ngl this set is fucking made for me. im loving it. its not high powered at all, but i think thats just fine for standard, and im excited af to play with these cards.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's been 8 years since I last played MtG but man, this set is tempting me. I love D&D, I LOVE those alternate cards that look like module covers. The dungeon mechanic sounds fun. But I also know it's a money trap, and honestly everything I've heard about the game nowadays makes its sound like WOTC/Hasbro has gotten really greedy with all the different kinds of packs, the rampant release schedule, the frequent bans. It just...doesn't sound appealing to get into.

But damn this set is tempting me.
as long as you stick to just playing limited for this set and dont get sucked into the cesspit that is standard youll probably have fun for a while

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Set's not for me but I'm happy to see everyone's pretty positive reactions to it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It's been 8 years since I last played MtG but man, this set is tempting me. I love D&D, I LOVE those alternate cards that look like module covers. The dungeon mechanic sounds fun. But I also know it's a money trap, and honestly everything I've heard about the game nowadays makes its sound like WOTC/Hasbro has gotten really greedy with all the different kinds of packs, the rampant release schedule, the frequent bans. It just...doesn't sound appealing to get into.

But damn this set is tempting me.

Same here played from Alpha & Beta to Legions & Scourge. Went from playing everyday during lunch at school to no one playing during college so dropped out. Still love checking in to see what they add and look at cool card art though.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The heavy use of random ability words is going to confuse a lot of people, I think.

How?

I love the Monster Manual alt arts, except for the splashes of color behind them. They'd look better if the backgrounds were just the same shade as the fill color.

Some of the art in the set is incredible. I've never even played DnD but the alt art lands that looks like guide books (or whatever they are) look awesome. And I'm glad to see they haven't neglected the art of the regular versions at all. Hive of the Eye Tyrant has the coolest art in recent memory. I kind of wish they'd had the same artist do similar "you can see the monster in the negative space" concepts for the whole cycle.

I love the ability words as well. I was pretty iffy about an outside property headlining a standard set, but I don't know, after seeing this I'd be open to seeing what they can do with other non-MTG settings.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
As part of the "Universes Beyond" thing they've got going on they're going to be making a Warhammer 40K one, and even though I've played that for years I'm nowhere near as excited about it as I am for this set.

Ah, that'll be fun too. They should make an Ork card that gains first strike if you use red mana to summon it. :p

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how many die rolling cards there will be. I usually don't like luck playing that large a roll in how good a card is but Treasure Chest seems fine.

Treasure Chest is actually kind of hilarious in Limited, most of the time you'll be pretty bummed out if you roll a 20.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
11.PNG

Auto-attach equipment is back!

1324.PNG

Pretty good

In the past, ability words were only used for mechanics that appeared frequently in the set. As we've seen more of them in this set, I think it'll be clear to players that it's more like ability-specific flavor text and they'll pretty quickly get that these aren't all abilities they have to keep an eye out for.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Bard
When Bard enters the battlefield, choose one -
  • Enhance Ability - Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
  • Animal Friendship - Target creature can't block this turn.
  • Vicious Mockery - Bard becomes a condescending arsehole until end of turn.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
In the past, ability words were only used for mechanics that appeared frequently in the set. As we've seen more of them in this set, I think it'll be clear to players that it's more like ability-specific flavor text and they'll pretty quickly get that these aren't all abilities they have to keep an eye out for.

Yeah, I don't see how they'd confuse anyone, they say what they do. They don't seem any more confusing then any other card.

The "You *verb* a *noun*" cards seem really good in limited. I'm not sure how I feel about the recent trend of having more modal cards, seems clear that they're made to allow people to safely put some situational cards in their main board since a lot of people play Bo1 on Arena, but it feels to me like it takes away a lot of the skill of drafting. You don't need to decide between a sideboard card and a combat truck (or whatever), just have your cake and eat it to.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the idea. I've only been playing D&D for a couple of years but always appreciated the settings characters etc. so I'm really excited about it.

I love D&D, so this set has been cool, but I mostly play in non-Faerun settings so the appeal has been a bit mixed. 40k, though... that's my shit. Looking forwards to that.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
22.PNG

Battle Cry Goblin, without battle cry. That said, it's quite good. And that's a third card with pack tactics.

11.PNG

Good common

1CLEbtL.jpg

Ochre Jelly - XG
Creature - Ooze (Rare)
Trample
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Divide - When ~ dies, if it had two or more +1/+1 counters, create a token that's a copy of it at the beginning of the next end step. That token enters the battlefield with half of those +1/+1 counters, rounded down.
0/0

Good in Limited

I heard several people during Strixhaven season struggling to figure out what Magecraft meant, not knowing the difference between a keyword and a keyword action, and that Magecraft is literally spelled out on every card it's on.
New players? Ability words aren't exactly recent.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the whole "dealt damage by this creature" mechanic just doesnt seem like it ever does much unless you're coming up with some wacky edh combo

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
E5FvNbkUcAAC1dF.png

Pretty good. We're really getting a lot of pack tactics.

E5F3P-gWUAsUyAG.png

Red getting the overall tutor, though you can only play it this turn.

E5F7MjXXEAAKAA5.png

Strong uncommon

e52d6ef6-d8a3-4288-8917-4c0a179ed4e0.png

204f3cba-df13-4c89-b92d-47ee3be6809c.png

More black enchantment removal. This is good in Limited.

d436ba80-386f-40ad-b0ca-a98cc50de964.png

f9f70431-12c9-4530-b51b-d85c38746989.png

A 3/5 for 3 in blue is pretty strong, though it technically ETBs tapped.

9d7a7744-e49d-4b4e-b6ae-7fc6d2892cef.png

Seems alright

f2d68812-8862-4e34-a992-7d6bbadaf316.png

c2bba29a-6d7c-4f53-a4ad-e27a33fe19cc.png

Common Pridemate effect

Interview

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Between Ranger's Hawk and the 50-foot Rope I might actually have to play dungeons in my 1-CMC EDH deck.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I can't believe Wizards finally broke down and printed an explicitly adult card. I guess we're chasing that Game of Thrones market!

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a fun, playable set higher on novelty then power, so I'm wondering what 1UG 5/5 that draws three cards when it ETB we haven't seen yet

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I can't say I'm a fan of applying the creature type Dinosaur, which actually existed in our world, to a made up creature in a fantasy world like Dungeons & Dragons. Just call them beasts or dragons.

One time I won a PTQ with 4 Lavaclaw Reaches. True story. No it wasn't Jund lol
But there *are* Dinosaurs in D&D.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I can't say I'm a fan of applying the creature type Dinosaur, which actually existed in our world, to a made up creature in a fantasy world like Dungeons & Dragons. Just call them beasts or dragons.

One time I won a PTQ with 4 Lavaclaw Reaches. True story. No it wasn't Jund lol

There are dinosaurs in DnD. I mean the Tarasque isn't one, but you can just straight up fight a T-rex depending on the world and region.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the wording for Wish. I feel like it opens the door for all sorts of cards. Pokémon. Yu-gi-oh. The Ace of Spades. Pull up Hearthstone on your phone, go nuts with it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I heard several people during Strixhaven season struggling to figure out what Magecraft meant, not knowing the difference between a keyword and a keyword action, and that Magecraft is literally spelled out on every card it's on.

User error. There's no reason anyone familiar with the game should be confused by ability words.

Ranger's Hawk is interesting, I wasn't expecting to see repeatable venturing at common.

I can't believe Wizards finally broke down and printed an explicitly adult card. I guess we're chasing that Game of Thrones market!

Which card?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
zarielarchdukeofavernus.jpg

Red planeswalker is a red planeswalker.
As a reminder, planeswalker cards for this set aren't actually planeswalkers in flavor.
Also, the 'e' is covered up, so they're the Archduk

Oswald-Fiddlebender-1.png

Artifact pod, also non-artifact gnome

I love the wording for Wish. I feel like it opens the door for all sorts of cards. Pokémon. Yu-gi-oh. The Ace of Spades. Pull up Hearthstone on your phone, go nuts with it.
Wishes have always been worded like that
7bf134c9-a50d-4eff-a5a8-7cfe6a010080.jpg
2f00f09b-a113-460e-ac2f-d3988a83179e.jpg

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
dfh.PNG

Name 3RR
Creature - Human Barbarian (Uncommon)
Trample
Pack tactics — Whenever ~ attacks, if you attacked with creatures with total power 6 or greater this combat, you may sacrifice another creature. If you do, ~ deals damage to target creature equal to the sacrificed creature's power.

4/4

Pack tactics seems to be the RG archetype. This one seems to be awkward, but hey, 4/4 trample for 3RR isn't bad in Limited.

1234.PNG

Something Paladin 4W
Creature - Orc Knight (Common)
Pep Talk - When ~ enters the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+1 and vigilance until end of turn.
4/4

This is pretty good.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
eu6bbvalrc871.png

Targ Nar - RG
Legendary Creature - Gnoll (Uncommon)
Pack tactics - Whenever ~ attacks, if you attacked with creatures with total power 6 or more this combat, attacking creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn.
2RG: Double the power and toughness of ~ until end of turn
2/2

Surprised gnolls are their own creature type when they're just hyena people.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
There are dinosaurs in DnD. I mean the Tarasque isn't one, but you can just straight up fight a T-rex depending on the world and region.
T-Rex is cool since it's a real dinosaur. There are many dinosaurs in MtG that are inspired by theropods like the Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus. It's when they're obviously fake hybrids it rubs me the wrong way.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Surprised gnolls are their own creature type when they're just hyena people.

It's actually kind of annoying since it means they're going to be practically non-typed going forward.

Would have rather all Beholders were "Beholder Horror" for example. You can still type them Beholder, just give them a proper MTG typing as well.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Putting ability words literally everywhere like they're attacks on Pokemon cards is silly and mildly distracting, but I'm much more annoyed by "Venture into the dungeon. (Enter the first room or advance to the next room.)". Come the heck on, Wizards. That's not reminder text. The information given is basically zero. What does entering a room do? (Don't answer that, I know what it does, but reminder text isn't for me; it's for people who don't know what a thing does.) This text does straight-up nothing to tell a player who's cracking their first draft pack what the heck a dungeon is, why you should care, or even whether it's a benefit or a drawback!

The fundamental problem is of course the dungeon mechanic itself, the whole "you just have to know how this mechanic works and what all the cards do before you open your first pack" design -- which totally sucks, imo -- but even still, slightly better rules/reminder text would help a lot. Even a small change like "Advance through the dungeon. (Choose your next room and trigger its ability.)" or somesuch would make the mechanic a lot less... Hearthstone-y. It still leaves out important rules not appearing on any card (like what you do when there is no dungeon, or the fact that each player has their own despite it being "the" dungeon and not "your" dungeon), but I don't think you can avoid that at this point without rebuilding the whole lumpy mechanic.

...I feel like you can trace a lineage through Level Up (very intuitive from the card text and labelling) -> Sagas (breaks the usual card text wording on triggered abilities, but still grok-able from the labelling) -> Dungeons (abilities on completely different cards, no indication on either card of when the abilities trigger).

I know I complain about new Magic wording way too much, but darn it, it matters to me. Magic used to be the TCG to hold up as the good example of how to write clear, simple, no-confusion card text, standing above the nonsense you'd expect from Yu-Gi-Oh or Hearthstone or whatever. Now it's bleh.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing up Hearthstone is a good example of how Wizards progressively wants that slice of the pie. In Arena, the reminder text of the dungeon mechanic doesn't really matter. In paper, well, LGSes are struggling for a very long time, especially in a global pandemic. Wizards are obviously not helping with announcing Secret Lairs all the time that bypass LGSes completely.

Professional large scale tournaments haven't been a thing for more than a year and it remains to be seen how Organized Play will continue in what form. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to focus more on Arena for Standard/Limited tournaments and venue events for EDH. There's a growing interest in CommandFests. The Magic Pro League is dead. It seems like a natural evolution of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.