• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Amazonian have been playing with simic Oko since yesterday on stream and she's straight up not losing smh.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
New set.
New Standard.
New opportunity to tell Black and Blue players that they can still go fuck themselves for still being slow and still having the most annoying cards in the game. \o/

At least Merfolks are gone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They should never have reprinted Island tbh.

Actually were Merfolk even a thing during the last standard? I know the precon was probably the strongest but it melted to pretty much any mass removal.

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
They should never have reprinted Island tbh.

Actually were Merfolk even a thing during the last standard? I know the precon was probably the strongest but it melted to pretty much any mass removal.
They were when I last gave this game a try. Fuckin' loads upon annoying decks that either you had to build specifically to counter or just loose against.

Also, discovered a upcomming troubling problem. With the new Standard, pretty much two thirds of all the cards I had are now worthless and what you got as "replacement" for them was a fuckin' meagre pittance of new cards. Now, I was lucky to be close to lvl 25 Mastery which upon unlocking gave me 5 new decks and with them a whole new set of cards (which I probably will use to build shitty decks with cause I am still stubborn in my hate of everything not White, Green or Red). However, come the new Standard next year, none of those are gonna matter and there will be no new ways to get a boost of cards then again.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the beginning of a set is rough as a budget player, particularly after rotation. There's so many things you'd want to experiment with, but you just can't spend wildcards that aren't guaranteed to to be useful for the whole duration. The wise choice is to wait until the meta settles and you know what's worth it to craft, but then you miss all the fun.

Magic deck naming conventions have gotten terrible since back in the day. "Magic's invented name for some color combo + speed descriptor" usually, and sometimes instead it's "old deck style that kinda sort fits".

Esper Stax. Yawn.

What I'm saying is, Bryan Gottlieb not calling his deck Be Our Guest is a travesty.
Yeah it's really nice when new decks are named after cards that rotated before I started playing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Some short lived card style codes, only available if you redeem before 5pm PST Sunday 29th.

ThatsWild
TisAScratch
Crumbelina
FoodCourt

(which I probably will use to build shitty decks with cause I am still stubborn in my hate of everything not White, Green or Red)

If it's any consolation Gruul is supposedly in a good place at the moment, and from a personal perspective my mono-black deck has absolutely no way to deal with a Great Henge if it hits the field. Green at the very least has got some powerful new tools.

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Tried Grixis Fires of Invention, Sultai Oko so far for the Play any card event.

Grixis fires was pretty good, won most of my games, lost a close one where they got all 4 Troll kings on the board and I couldn't find another Bolas to sweep them.

Sultai Oko is really good against aggro of all kinds. But it kind of sucks if you don't draw Oko or if he dies, and there is a lot of planeswalker hate running around.

Too bad I'll probably never have the cards to craft Grixis, since its pretty much all Mythics and Rares which I don't own.

4 more games left, I'll try the Esper Doom Foretold Dance of the Manse Deck, since I manged to get 2 from the renewal rewards.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Deck-based matchmaking seems to be working pretty well. I put together a "cards I own" UG ramp/adventures deck for a daily quest, and for the most part matched against a bunch of other kitchen table decks. That power level between draft and optimized is really satisfying, I wish it was easier to hit.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
God I fucking hate Lands.

Another game where I spent 7 GODDAMN TURNS IN A ROW drawing FUCKING lands! But if I try to go the other way and put in less of these shitty cards, I will in the following games then have rounds where I never get the lands I need to actually play my fucking cards. They are such a boring mechanic now. Other card games have relegated resources to stuff like outside-the-deck effects that you can do, like how in Netrunner you could use clicks to get credits, or at least in Doomtown where placing resource generating buildings was important as control of the town also means further development towards victory. In Magic you draw a land it's just a giant middle finger saying often "You get to do -nothing- this turn."

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I should play limited one of these days.

statsmtg.png

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
God I fucking hate Lands.

Another game where I spent 7 GODDAMN TURNS IN A ROW drawing FUCKING lands! But if I try to go the other way and put in less of these shitty cards, I will in the following games then have rounds where I never get the lands I need to actually play my fucking cards. They are such a boring mechanic now. Other card games have relegates resourced to stuff like outside-the-deck effects that you can do, like how in Netrunner you could use clicks to get credits, or at least in Doomtown where placing resource generating buildings was important as control of the town also means further development towards victory. In Magic you draw a land it's just a giant middle finger saying often "You get to do -nothing- this turn."

I think lands can be interesting if you add mechanics to them, which they have done this time around. Sadly most of the mechanics are shite and the fact that any "not-complete-shit" land is a rare is an issue, especially in a set like Eldraine where lands are kinda bad. I think Netrunner and Mythgard are probably the best implementations of resource systems while Hearthstone is probably the worst given its limiting nature.
That having been said I still think the times where lands are the determining factor of your win/loss is very limited.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Just squeaked into platinum with a mix of Rakdos agro, Mono green stompy, and Gruul agro in best of one. Gruul is probably the most efficient but I have more fun with B/R.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Goddamn Gruul decks...

They just pour out shit at an alarming rate and here I am trying to play White and it takes forever to get something going or even once I do they play like 1 card and go "lol everything you have is worthless."

Is there any reason White players exist? Or is that the colour of idiots like me? The hell is the point of White when it feels completely worthless against everything else? I feel like I must be the biggest fuckin' looser ever to try this game cause no matter how I try to build my decks I get repeatedly grinded into the ground by some twat and their 2 card combo wins. No matter the exiles. No matter the card removals. It's just Defeat upon Defeat with the rare win where they probably had a bad drawn hand and I got to play for at least 5 turns. Blue players counters everything I play. Black players have deathtouch that murders everything I play. Red players just snipe everything I play. Green players overpower everything I play.

I fucking hate this game so much and I hate it more cause it's the only card game viable left to play cause every other fucking game keeps dying out (Netrunner), nobody knows (Doomtown) or is just Hearthstone (basically every digital card game that exist)... And even if you suggest playing something else, every cunt of a card player in town just wanna play Magic...

I am done with Magic forever, I tried getting into the hype twice and it's just not working out for me. For being the "best card game in the world" it sure is the most infuriating one I have ever played. No other game makes me feel as awful as Magic.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn Gruul decks...

They just pour out shit at an alarming rate and here I am trying to play White and it takes forever to get something going or even once I do they play like 1 card and go "lol everything you have is worthless."

Is there any reason White players exist? Or is that the colour of idiots like me? The hell is the point of White when it feels completely worthless against everything else? I feel like I must be the biggest fuckin' looser ever to try this game cause no matter how I try to build my decks I get repeatedly grinded into the ground by some twat and their 2 card combo wins. No matter the exiles. No matter the card removals. It's just Defeat upon Defeat with the rare win where they probably had a bad drawn hand and I got to play for at least 5 turns. Blue players counters everything I play. Black players have deathtouch that murders everything I play. Red players just snipe everything I play. Green players overpower everything I play.

I fucking hate this game so much and I hate it more cause it's the only card game viable left to play cause every other fucking game keeps dying out (Netrunner), nobody knows (Doomtown) or is just Hearthstone (basically every digital card game that exist)... And even if you suggest playing something else, every cunt of a card player in town just wanna play Magic...

I am done with Magic forever, I tried getting into the hype twice and it's just not working out for me. For being the "best card game in the world" it sure is the most infuriating one I have ever played. No other game makes me feel as awful as Magic.

What rank are you playing at?
What is your decklist?
What decks are you primarily facing?

Let us help you :)

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
What rank are you playing at?
What is your decklist?
What decks are you primarily facing?

Let us help you :)
Appreciate it, but I am good. I can't convince any of my friends to play this with me so that I don't have to play against randos online all the time and everyone declines. I think they have the right mind of it, and if a game makes me feel as bad and awful as Magic does, I really shouldn't play it anymore.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate it, but I am good. I can't convince any of my friends to play this with me so that I don't have to play against randos online all the time and everyone declines. I think they have the right mind of it, and if a game makes me feel as bad and awful as Magic does, I really shouldn't play it anymore.

Have you tried Faeria?

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason White players exist? Or is that the colour of idiots like me? The hell is the point of White when it feels completely worthless against everything else?

I looove playing white. Ive played a mono white weenies in paper for the majority of the last year. And right now is just the wrong time to play mono white. We lost History of Benalia, Benalish Marshall, Legions Landing, and Adanto Vangaurd. Then the one drops with payoffs like dauntless bodyguard, Skymarcher Aspirant, and snubhorn sentry are gone. There's no way to replace all of those in a core set and an expansion.

White probably suffers the most from the color pie restrictions on card draw. And lifegain is never gonna be viable until they reprint something in the same ballpark as Serra Ascendant. Them's just the breaks. Eventually they'll print enough relevant one drops that you get away with a turn 3 venerated loxodon again.

Until then, I recommend finding a color to pair with white that you enjoy. I get a stupid grin from sephara, so azorious fliers is where I go, but that's just me.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bryan Gottlieb agrees with me: the name for Esper Stax is so damn bad.

But I'm wrong on my shot... his proposed name Manse Will Make Em Dance is clearly the best thing possible.

Time to update the deck name in my Arena decklist ASAP.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
So Bryan Gotliebs Dance of the manse/doom foretold deck is insane. Played it in the "play any deck event" and it wrecks everything I have faced. Sadly lack rare wildcards for the lands

I played it as well for 3 games and it definitly didn't wreck the simic food adventure deck I played against. Hydroid krasis and risen reef are just too much card advantage along with Oko helping make 3/3 foods every other turn if not dealt with immediately. He's like a mini nissa.

Jul 14, 2018
Goddamn Gruul decks...

No idea what you're playing, but going mono-colored always needs exactly the right pieces to fall in place. White weenie is occasionally playable, but not as often as the always viable red aggro decks, and probably less than mono-green stompy.

Have you played Hero of Precinct One? It is the only card I have wanted to play with for the last 2 months. Pair it with your favorite off-color. Go WR and you can play a hyper aggressive Feather deck. WG and you get to play dorks into 4 mana Ajani or March of the Multitudes. WB is likely the best of the bunch. Play a bunch of uncommons like Corpse Knight, Cruel Celebrant, and Mortify for a tricky "Aristocrats" build. I dunno exactly what the WU version looks like, but the thought of hitting a sweeper with Dovin's Veto and getting a 1/1 as a bonus is exciting to me.

Just a recommendation that I think is fun. Most people are going to play things they think will win and it can make it hard to just play the thing you want to play. Keep at it. Or quit, i guess. Whichever will make you happy.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Archon of Absolution is a really fucking stupid card to print at uncommon for limited given its very possible to get multiples.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
When your bullshit deck you've made from whatever cards you had actually works for once:

20190930213957_1.jpg

20190930214046_1.jpg

I just realized I missed one Proliferate from the nerves, but hey. Good thing to end your day on.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I played it as well for 3 games and it definitly didn't wreck the simic food adventure deck I played against. Hydroid krasis and risen reef are just too much card advantage along with Oko helping make 3/3 foods every other turn if not dealt with immediately. He's like a mini nissa.

The only deck i have lost to with it was mono red cavalcafe. Simic food was almost free wins. Just need to hard mulligan for Doom Foretold

I will say however that simic flash seems to strong right now. I even have the deck but refuse to rank with it simply because it kinda feels bad to play. Simply not playing the game is just not fun for me. I feel the same about mill.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think esper control is dead in this current meta. Which is pretty damn sad to me.

Edit: The issue is I spent all my wildcards on building esper because its pretty much the only deck I enjoy, but wotc nuked it with their idiotic "we need shit mana now" stance, while at the same time making green (vomit) and black have insane tempo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If there's one thing I appreciate, it's that every time the meta shifts there's an equal number of people either upset or relieved that [current meta deck] is no longer viable. Mono-black and mono-green haven't been a thing for quite a while so it's nice to see them get a fair shot (even if Sultai and Esper are still top of the world).

Anyway, I blew the remainder of my mythic wildcards on some Boros tokens shite.

4 Outlaws' Merriment (ELD) 198
9 Mountain (ELD) 265
11 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
3 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
3 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
2 Divine Visitation (GRN) 10
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
3 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
4 Starfield Mystic (M20) 39
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
3 Impassioned Orator (RNA) 12
3 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29

It's pretty fun if you survive to the point where you're just printing multiple 4/4 angels per turn, and Starfield Mystic helps get you that snazzy turn 3 Outlaw's Merriment. Robber of the Rich is there because I love it and it makes people panic.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing I appreciate, it's that every time the meta shifts there's an equal number of people either upset or relieved that [current meta deck] is no longer viable. Mono-black and mono-green haven't been a thing for quite a while so it's nice to see them get a fair shot (even if Sultai and Esper are still top of the world).

Anyway, I blew the remainder of my mythic wildcards on some Boros tokens shite.

It's pretty fun if you survive to the point where you're just printing multiple 4/4 angels per turn, and Starfield Mystic helps get you that snazzy turn 3 Outlaw's Merriment. Robber of the Rich is there because I love it and it makes people panic.

To clarify I enjoy mono black. But mono green was already strong before rotation and now its even more insane. Even in two Color setups green shines. Gruul, Golgari, Simic are all at the very top.

Ah yes you Can do alot of fun stof with boros, and several very different kind of token decks.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mana should never be good enough to support three colors as easily as last Standard unless there's reliance on a mana fixing color imo.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Used to take 2+ hours for the lag to get unbearable. Now it's like 30 minutes.

Sound bugs are also getting worse. I had a match where it seemed every other card I played left some looping sound for the rest of the match.

Released btw

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of a game with color limitations if you can play three colors without drawback? "White can't do X" is meaningless if you can effortlessly play the colors that shore up that weakness.

It's a crowd pleaser because people dislike limitations.

You are still limited. Afterall there are no three color lands. Also I dont mind shocklands as you have to pay for having more colors. The issue comes when playing more than two colors is simply not worth it because the game is over to quick. Interesting card games are about interaction. The more you limit creativity from players and options in deck construction the less interactive it gets.

Edit: I just want people to not be forced into certain colors. Whether that is going to be the case is obviously to early to tell, I am just abit worried.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
You are still limited. Afterall there are no three color lands. Also I dont mind shocklands as you have to pay for having more colors. The issue comes when playing more than two colors is simply not worth it because the game is over to quick. Interesting card games are about interaction. The more you limit creativity from players and options in deck construction the less interactive it gets.

Edit: I just want people to not be forced into certain colors. Whether that is going to be the case is obviously to early to tell, I am just abit worried.
If the mana is too good in standard there is no creativity because you can just play the objectively best cards. I don't think it was too bad in the format that's just passed, but when it was fetches + duo lands everyone just played 4 colours

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the mana is too good in standard there is no creativity because you can just play the objectively best cards. I don't think it was too bad in the format that's just passed, but when it was fetches + duo lands everyone just played 4 colours
Exactly. It's just "play the best cards". That's not interesting or complex, it's boring.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It's just "play the best cards". That's not interesting or complex, it's boring.

But If they restrict mana too much you end up with just play the best mono this pr that with their best cards which is even more limited.

Like I said its to early to judge, but simply being forced Into mono decks isnt fun.

Edit: How are people finding M20 and Eldraine limited so far? I really haven't played much limited before the rotation but am thoroughly enjoying it right now. Going Ranked draft into Traditional draft into standard and back again, gives a nice change of pace and keeps every game feeling fresh.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But If they restrict mana too much you end up with just play the best mono this pr that with their best cards which is even more limited.

Like I said its to early to judge, but simply being forced Into mono decks isnt fun.
While I missed a large chunk of Magic, I played continuously between 98 and 2004 and then again in ~2009-2010.

This isn't a new game so my opinions have long been formed.

I don't think I'm objectively correct, it's just how I've always viewed the formats where mana bases are incredible. I didn't like how good mana was at the end of Invasion block lol.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While I missed a large chunk of Magic, I played continuously between 98 and 2004 and then again in ~2009-2010.

This isn't a new game so my opinions have long been formed.

I don't think I'm objectively correct, it's just how I've always viewed the formats where mana bases are incredible. I didn't like how good mana was at the end of Invasion block lol.

No no this will always be a subjective topic of course :) and I agree about mana during invasion being to good by the way.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I built that manse deck cause what can I say, I'm a nerd that likes control that doesn't have a shitton of counterspells. I think the biggest eye opener to me is just how fucking absurd Doom Foretold is.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Finally made a deck, I went with Rakdos midrange.

If it doesn't work out later, it pretty much has the same cards as mono black and Golgari midrange. So I can always just try those.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Killing opponents with Cauldron Familiar and Witches oven just never truly get old.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Finally made a deck, I went with Rakdos midrange.

If it doesn't work out later, it pretty much has the same cards as mono black and Golgari midrange. So I can always just try those.

Did you put some cards from the new extension in your rakdos?
I also use a rakdos midrange but mostly with ravnica/m20 cards. Didn't see what I could replace from this new set tho

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Damn Rankle is broken x)

I use the sacrifice mecanic in my rakdos so Idk if i should use these cards, but this deck looks very solid. A bit expensive tho

Yeah, it's a bit on the expensive side, which is why I was a bit iffy on crafting it. However, it's a lot of fun, so I took the plunge.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh hey, haven't been roped in a good long while. By Cavalcade Red in the casual play queue no less. I thought the "do something else in another window and Arena will tell you when it's your turn to act" thing had pretty much killed it off by this point.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, haven't been roped in a good long while. By Cavalcade Red in the casual play queue no less. I thought the "do something else in another window and Arena will tell you when it's your turn to act" thing had pretty much killed it off by this point.
Based on r/MagicArena and my own experience, Cavalcade Red decks are the ones that rope the most lol