• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Quest: Kill 15 opponent's minions. Hmm, this might take me more than one game.

My opponent is playing Temur Elementals and they create a 16 stack of 2/2 zombies. I have Kaya's Wrath in hand. That felt good.

D6l8fu1.gif

If I've got that quest, I always let an enemy Krenko buff up when I've got a Chainwhirler in hand. I don't even care if I lose because of it.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing last night. I've saved up enough gold to earn the privilege to go get my ass kicked in constructed with my babby's first decks that come standard.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've been away from the game for a week and a half, what's with this new Simic Flash thing everyone's running into?

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Getting to Plat this month was rather difficult for me. I started of Gold 2 and I got to Gold 1 pretty quick. I was one win from Plat and I had the most frustrating game I ever had period. All I needed was one land and I would have won it. It was one of those rare situations, where I would have literally won if I just drew one more, it didn't even matter what color. However, the next four turn I didn't draw a single one and I ended up losing. After that I went into a tilt fueled rage and I dropped all the way down to Gold 4, part of me just gave up. After that I only focused on the quests and getting three wins a day for my xp. Fast forward to today and I'm one win off Plat again. Things are going pretty well and I'm close to winning and all of a sudden, "you lost connection to the server." The player hack dropped. Luckily, they messed it up and it still counted the win for me.

This month has been a roller coaster.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Getting to Plat this month was rather difficult for me. I started of Gold 2 and I got to Gold 1 pretty quick. I was one win from Plat and I had the most frustrating game I ever had period. All I needed was one land and I would have won it. It was one of those rare situations, where I would have literally won if I just drew one more, it didn't even matter what color. However, the next four turn I didn't draw a single one and I ended up losing. After that I went into a tilt fueled rage and I dropped all the way down to Gold 4, part of me just gave up. After that I only focused on the quests and getting three wins a day for my xp. Fast forward to today and I'm one win off Plat again. Things are going pretty well and I'm close to winning and all of a sudden, "you lost connection to the server." The player hack dropped. Luckily, they messed it up and it still counted the win for me.

This month has been a roller coaster.

I've kind of given up on Constructed Rank, since I'm more of a brewer and not someone who wants to be competitive. I'm still in Silver for that. I've just been playing Limited whenever I have enough Gold, and doing fairly well. I now have managed to store up 7K gems F2P even after buying the Mastery Pass, so I should be fine for the next 2 sets lol.

I just wish I would open up a bigger variety of cards so that I can build more fun decks. Like I already have half the rares in RNA (100/192) but I still have zero Kaya's Wrath, zero Godless Shrines and a single lonely Incubation Druid. No Simic Ascendancy, Krasis or Vannifar's either, so most controlly stuff is out.

Also, managed to live the dream in my last WAR Draft. Opponent is milling me out using Ashiok, but I dropped Jace to get the Alternate win-con =). Also managed to ult Jace in two other games thanks to double Flux Channellers, who both gave Jace extra loyalty, and also made anything with +1/+1 counters really big, including a game where I was at 1 life. A splashed Davriel also manage to win by ticking down the opponent in a board stall.

Last edited:

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
how do i safely install MTG Arena?

and is there a way to install it to a thumb drive?

No certain what you mean by safely. But installation is fine. Never considered or tried installing to a removable tho.

I've been away from the game for a week and a half, what's with this new Simic Flash thing everyone's running into?

Variations on the following.

A truly ridiculous amount of counter magic and disable through merfolk trickster and Unsummon. Wins by resolving a Nightpack Ambusher and pumping out wolf tokens, or putting out a Brineborn Cutthroat and pumping them with all the Counterspell they are casting. Basically never casts on their turn if they can help it.

Not unbeatable by any means, but when they have the nuts it can be tilting.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

A truly ridiculous amount of counter magic and disable through merfolk trickster and Unsummon. Wins by resolving a Nightpack Ambusher and pumping out wolf tokens, or putting out a Brineborn Cutthroat and pumping them with all the Counterspell they are casting. Basically never casts on their turn if they can help it.

Ah, a bit like Mono-U tempo was a few months ago then? I'll dig out the fast and cheap Rakdos Aggro deck and stick in some more instant speed removal. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

The Fall expansion will be called "Throne of Eldraine", seems to have a Farie Focus (We will get official confirmation at the Saturday SDCC panel, but it appears these things are coming from the WOTC booth at SDCC)

Oct 25, 2017
No certain what you mean by safely. But installation is fine. Never considered or tried installing to a removable tho.

What I mean by safely, is is there a way to install the game so that if I have to uninstall it won't delete the c drive

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, a bit like Mono-U tempo was a few months ago then? I'll dig out the fast and cheap Rakdos Aggro deck and stick in some more instant speed removal. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Similar, but they give up the early draw power of curious obsession, and their threats aren't evasive. Removal is definitely key. Just remember to turn on full control if they cast wolf end of your turn, otherwise it may just pass on to their turn and they'll have mana again to try and counter your removal.

What I mean by safely, is is there a way to install the game so that if I have to uninstall it won't delete the c drive

Oh wow, no idea. Didn't even know that could be an issue :(

Oct 25, 2017
There were never any actually confirmed instances of that happening and no one was able to reproduce it, so I'm still not convinced that it was ever a real thing.
well its not letting me install anyway, getting a invalid drive G: error
target paths not created. no path exists for entry APPDIR in Directory Table.

Last edited:

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Dinosaurs will be affected with Marauding Raptor being on the list.

I didn't see any vampires though.... *evil laugh*

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Gruul/Jund Dinos and Simic Flash also seem to be unaffected. I'm sure someone will make a big reddit post of all the Tier 2/3 decks you can still play without changes or with only minor ones.
And Simic Flash doesn't have to worry about Teferi. I think you're going to see a lot of that deck in the event unless they do some late bans on Nightpack Ambusher or something.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Dinosaurs will be affected with Marauding Raptor being on the list.

I didn't see any vampires though.... *evil laugh*

Marauding Raptor survived, the only dino on the list is Rampaging Ferocidon which is probably for consistency since it's not Standard legal anyway. Vampires is another good pull there. You can probably make a pretty good Scapeshift deck too, although losing lil Teferi does hurt it.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Marauding Raptor survived, the only dino on the list is Rampaging Ferocidon which is probably for consistency since it's not Standard legal anyway. Vampires is another good pull there. You can probably make a pretty good Scapeshift deck too, although losing lil Teferi does hurt it.
Oh my bad, but that's good news for my Jund dinos.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, Ranked M20 Draft is up!

If three heartpiercer bows and 2 weaponsmiths is the wrong way to draft, then I don't wanna be right.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are the draft bots undervaluing Risen Reef? Every elemental deck I've run into so far has at least 2 of them.

On an unrelated note I'm liking Chandra, Acolyte of Flame in Rakdos Aristocrats. Being able to use her 0 ability to generate 2 tokens for Priest of Forgotten Gods is pretty great.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Monsters is fun sometimes, managed to get someone down to -309, while he had 61 life.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing vampires for the past few days, it seems decent. The new Sorin is good and so is Knight of the Ebon Legion. However, I end up just going back to my old deck all the time, old habits are hard to break.

Let me learn a new deck!
Play for a bit.
Ok, whatever, back to my old deck.

Also, Sorin's voice lines are great. When you sacrifice a vampire, "thank you for your service". lol

Last edited:

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Had gems and was going to do another M20 sealed. Was looking at packs when for Ravnica Allegiance it popped up "Confirm Purchase Yes/No" for 6 packs for 1600 gems. I was like WTF, obviously no! Selected no and it said "Acquired" and used my gems... What the actual fuck man. Tempted to never spend any more money on this now and I play daily...

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Had gems and was going to do another M20 sealed. Was looking at packs when for Ravnica Allegiance it popped up "Confirm Purchase Yes/No" for 6 packs for 1600 gems. I was like WTF, obviously no! Selected no and it said "Acquired" and used my gems... What the actual fuck man. Tempted to never spend any more money on this now and I play daily...

This sounds like a bug, you should report this to WOTC, they may be able to refund you.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Got to diamond, took 22 games total including going 14-5 with Feather, felt way easier than gold was with Phoenix which took 26 games. I think there are a lot of questionable decks sitting in plat 4 - a lot of people like putting bad cards around the UGx ramp Nissa shell.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who hasn't heard the news, Brawl is coming to Arena. 1v1 only.

I've personally never played a Commander-like format, so I'm looking forward to it!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed Brawl is a permanent mode... most of my decks are Singleton and would adapt pretty well.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wonder if the precon Brawl decks will come with codes to redeem them on Arena. Would probably make sense to to help push the launch of the format on the service, but the challenge decks didn't so that kind of paper/digital integration doesn't seem like something they want to pursue to the degree Pokemon does

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wonder if the precon Brawl decks will come with codes to redeem them on Arena. Would probably make sense to to help push the launch of the format on the service, but the challenge decks didn't so that kind of paper/digital integration doesn't seem like something they want to pursue to the degree Pokemon does
The challenger decks didn't due to logistics reasons. They mentioned at the time that future challenger decks will come with codes for arena. I imagine, going forward, all standard-legal deck products will come with arena redemption.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
First M20 Draft. Can't decide on power vs a stable manabase. Plus since I've never played with any of the cards in Draft yet, can't judge if they are actually good, but it seems ok in theory. The 2 versions of the deck I'm considering:

Basic Synergies for both decks. Make wolf tokens to scry with Season of Growth, grow Woodland Champion. Use Portal of Sanctuary to bounce Voracious Hydra to kill stuff, as well as all the ETB creatures, and also to grow the Diamond Knight.

zIFT4Ed.png

The mana is really good for this one, So Wakeroot Elemental should be able to make elementals everythime I draw a land late game.

tgMqIjQ.png

Mana is pretty bad, but I have Murder for removal and the potential to recur it with Scholar. Bloodsoaked Altar also seems good since I can sack tokens and discard Sanitarium Skeleton for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The challenger decks didn't due to logistics reasons. They mentioned at the time that future challenger decks will come with codes for arena. I imagine, going forward, all standard-legal deck products will come with arena redemption.

Ah, I guess I must've missed that bit, just remember them not being in

I'll probably buy all the brawl precons if they do have arena redemption so that I have some decks ready to go in the format digitally, then use the actual physical products as bases to expand them out to casual commander decks

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Excited for Brawl, but I'm hoping its going to be more of a causal format instead of a super optimized one. You can already see how in each event people would just go reddit for optimized decklists (which in my opinion ruins the fun a little).

Hopefully they 'll change the daily quest to be more like the weekly ones, so its play (up to)15 games instead of win 15 games, so people don't feel penalized for not using optimized decklists

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Excited for Brawl, but I'm hoping its going to be more of a causal format instead of a super optimized one. You can already see how in each event people would just go reddit for optimized decklists (which in my opinion ruins the fun a little).

Hopefully they 'll change the daily quest to be more like the weekly ones, so its play (up to)15 games instead of win 15 games, so people don't feel penalized for not using optimized decklists
People will always optimize their decks and people will always netdeck. Doesn't matter the format or the stakes.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Brawl support in Arena and with precons for paper/codes, I honestly thought they were just gonna let that format slide off into the mists. I guess this makes sense since full on commander isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Sep 14, 2018
Today I played arena for the first time in a while and my client was an unplayable laggy mess, is this the thing with the cat? There's no reason it should run like that it was perfect before. Looks like the memory leaking high school project held together with gum that is the arena client is still in beta huh.

Maybe I was a bit hasty blaming notorious hack Chris Clay for everything if that's what he was working with.

Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Just did M20 draft and with that my first Draft ever and went to 6 wins with it...feels pretty nice. It was some janky Simic with Season of Growth and random pump spells on fliers carrying pretty hard.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always garbage the first few drafts of a release because I rare draft too much and it thrown my deck off.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always garbage the first few drafts of a release because I rare draft too much and it thrown my deck off.
In Arena you should always be raredrafting anything you don't have 4 copies of to help take them off the possible opens from regular packs. You can still 7-X while doing that, especially in bronze/silver.