• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Magic Kingdom TV Universe in the Works at Disney+ (Exclusive)

'For All Mankind' creator Ron Moore is readying the first of a potential franchise of projects that will explore characters from Disney parks and classic films.

Huh.

Disney is ready to bring the characters from its theme parks and classic films to life in a new way.

The media giant is teaming with For All Mankind creator Ron Moore to develop a franchise for streamer Disney+ that is set in Disney's beloved Magic Kingdom. The first project in the works as part of the so-called Magic Kingdom Universe is The Society of Explorers and Adventurers, which is set in a world where all the themed lands and characters of the Disney parks and classic films actually exist in another reality.

Noted Disney superfan and For All Mankind creator Ron Moore will write and exec produce SEA for Disney+ and 20th Television. The potential series is currently in the development stage. In success, Moore will build out the Magic Kingdom universe and oversee the entire franchise. Moore would expand the franchise in a way that's similar to the world he built out of Syfy's Battlestar Galactica and, more recently, what Marvel is creating for Disney+.

For the Magic Kingdom Universe, Moore is working closely with the Disney Imagineering team, the group of research and developers who are responsible for the creation and design of all of Disney's theme parks across the globe. Sources say a mini-writers room is already being put together with a search under way for three senior-level writers.

The idea, per sources, is to explore characters — like sea boat captain from the Jungle Cruise or prospector from Big Thunder Mountain or the climbers of the Matterhorn, for example — as part of the world of The Society of Explorers and Adventurers. (To be clear, none of those characters or storylines are currently on the table at this stage.)

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's one way to incorporate the parks.

I wonder if they'll ever adapt the Kingdom Keeper books.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was going to be about those YA novels where kids discover the park becomes real at night

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just Descendents but with no villain POV?

A world filled with Disney characters and iconic parts.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I'm still pissed that a Kingdom Hearts cartoon was so close to being a thing.

Oh well, they better adapt Phantom Manor from Disneyland Paris in all its creepy glory.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Matterhorn and Expedition Everest Yeti related? What is their backstory? How were they separated?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are folks that take the parks super seriously who are going to flip their shit in excitement for this, but I think that's going to be a thin market all things considered.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Jungle Cruise already a film with the Rock, and isn't the Rock making a docuseries about Disneyland?

I can see this work, just depends entirely on execution. I've been on a binge lately reading Iger's book (which was good) and watching the Imagineering Story and a few other behind the scenes Disney docs.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised this hasn't been attempted before now honestly. Though with streaming demanding a huge catalog of new content, this makes sense.

I wonder if the projects they choose will be based on the most popular back catalog titles on D+ or if they're not going to take any of that into account 🤔

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So any Disney park attractions not deemed noteworthy enough to become a film will now be relegated to this series?

How are they going to mesh Tomorrowland-stuff with the European castles and American West/Frontier?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Excited about this but sad the Jon Favreau Magic Kingdom movie will never happen now

I think that was the project Kevin Smith was working on until it got cancelled a couple of years ago.
Jon Favreau, not Kevin Smith

There are folks that take the parks super seriously who are going to flip their shit in excitement for this, but I think that's going to be a thin market all things considered.

That market is much bigger than you think (see how it carries millions of views and hundreds of youtube channels, number of passholders, theme park aficionados in general and docs and books of the parks are super popular), and if the series is actually good, people will watch it even if they arent one of those super big fans.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just Descendents but with no villain POV?

A world filled with Disney characters and iconic parts.
Once_Upon_a_Time_title_card.jpg

even had
latest

Oct 26, 2017
Just make a Kingdom Hearts series already. The games hardly represent the Final Fantasy IP so they don't have to worry about licensing issues.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Correction: Ronald Moore is meeting with the remaining senior imagineers that weren't fired during the latest Disney purge

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
You know I've been thinking to myself about what else Disney was going to adapt given they have:

Pirates of the Caribbean
The Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
Jungle Cruise (whenever that comes out I suppose)

And now here comes this show. How neat. Like I'm all for it.