• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I thought this thread would be about the strip club in Atlanta

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like a song one would listen to on their quest to find every flamin hot food in the city.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the sims has such brilliant music

sim city has such has brilliant music

sometimes i feel like I'm locked inside an 'open world' designed in 1992

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
you claim to be fat4all, but ive never seen you wear a hat or mustache before. Who are you really

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
every time I try to make threads praising Sims music , they all slump super early

and i dont understand why

it's so

fucking

good

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The following unformatted mess are my thoughts on this song as i'm listening to it in real time. enjoy:

poignant piano to start with some dare i say EPIC percussion hitting right after
OH WAIT THAT AINT EVEN PERCUSSION THAT'S A DAMN PIANO CHORD

holy damn whoever micc'd up this studio session is really talented. Nice mix.

bro some french accordians just kicked in

wow

this is genuinely epic. it captures the essence of what it would feel like to be the grand leader of a small slice of the world, as you would in sim city. It's grand and epic at the same time it's small and somewhat cozy. I feel inspired and at home hearing this. This saxaphone that just kicked in is giving feels of nostalgia to the mix too. A sense of familiarity. And then it's getting more intense bc of THE INNOVATION OF MANKIND or something cheesy. Idk but shit man I wanna start some assembly lines and improve the economy and sewage lines after hearing this.

at this point in the song (3:50ish) i will say it's getting a smidge repetitive, but when taken into consideration that this is a song for a video game and is really meant to be listened to in a passive sitting, it ain't no problem at all. The composition has backed itself up into a corner and isn't really changing it's tone or theming anymore at this point, only continuing on... similar to life itself hmm. BUT WAIT. WHAT'S THIS. AN ARPEGGIATED VIOLIN TO KICK IN JUST AT THE END OF THE SONG. THE VIOLIN STABS SCREAM "oh we ain't done yet. we gon' make this town self-sufficient. we gon' innovate and keep innovating.".

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
BUT WAIT. WHAT'S THIS. AN ARPEGGIATED VIOLIN TO KICK IN JUST AT THE END OF THE SONG. THE VIOLIN STABS SCREAM "oh we ain't done yet. we gon' make this town self-sufficient. we gon' innovate and keep innovating.".
giphy.gif

Mar 30, 2019
It sounds great tbh. I didn't know Sims 3000 had this, now I'm curious for the rest of the ost. It reminds me of this too:

For the magic city track, what instruments are those that kick in at 1:27?

Edit: Is my answer in post #16?

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
It sounds great tbh. I didn't know Sims 3000 had this, now I'm curious for the rest of the ost. It reminds me of this too:

I can see it, both melodies keep such a solid, steady tone

tho Eight Melodies certainly has more progression, Magic City is more for repetition

Eight Melodies tells a story

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Never knew everything from The Sims thru Streets of Sim City was composed by the same guy, Jerry Martin. Neat!

Couple of nostalgic favorites from me:

Guy really knows his violins and accordions

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Simcity 3 and 4 had fantastic music.

I really hope we get a another Simcity someday closer to the old games.