• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Originally released on June 25th 2019, lasting a little over a year.

The game has always had a faster content release schedule to try to catch up with the JP version, and they *just* finished the first main story arc. Guessing this was probably a fairly sudden decision from the management side.

Pretty legit bummed by this. ;_;

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Sony just can't stop shutting down servers.

The real piss take is that they just finished up a popular limited event and they're still letting people spend money on it until the 10th of next month.

What a shitty, scummy move.

Oct 27, 2017
1JFbKeB.gif

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually any legit excuse why most online games just don't have one global service with regional servers where needed? I mean FFXIV can do it so yeah...

Maximizing profits. Catching up requires a ton of labor, you risk the possibility of burning your userbase out, you're not maximizing profits on each banner. Releasing a united version across all regions is just gamble. If the game has already been out in another region for a while already.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised by this considering Aniplex's coffers, a reasonably popular IP and their ambition to expand worldwide.
Unless it means that they're moving on to other franchises stat now that the Magica franchise isn't doing as hot these days.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow what the shit, they just finished the first arc and had an anime celebration event and introduced one of the most sought after characters that people had saved the whole time for (and potentially whaled for)

I was logging in every day but not really doing much while I waited for arc 2 to start. Lame

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Maximizing profits. Catching up requires a ton of labor, you risk the possibility of burning your userbase out, you're not maximizing profits on each banner. Releasing a united version across all regions is just gamble. If the game has already been out in another region for a while already.

That I understand but I was more thinking that atleast for big developers and publishers like Cygames, Aniplex etc. they should plan new gacha games with a global release outright from day one. Yeah that means that they would need to translate to atleast English straight away but I think that way the risk of failure would be fairly minimized. Gacha games don't have any physical presence and distribution channels to worry about and most of them don't even need to worry about latency.

The only trouble could be the anti gambling initiatives in Europe but even then they could pull a GBF and do a pseudo-global version where the Japanese version just has a English translation and microtransactions still work from another country.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gacha games ending service a little after their first anniversary? Say it ain't so.
Even with localized versions, I get super impressed when mobile games continue service long enough for a 2nd anniversary. Having a "whale" event right before closure is super fucking scummy but yet so many of these games do it, it's awful

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. The game did horribly on the grossing charts. If your game falls out of the top 1500 grossing games, I can't imagine it staying alive.

I get nervous when a game dips into the 500s.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Guessing they were banking on the Magia Record anime catching on, but it wasn't very good / didn't >.<

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Playing any western version of a gacha game other than F/GO is a mistake, since they're likely to randomly get shut down within a year or less. Not that I'd advise playing F/GO either, but still.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I kinda enjoyed Magia Record for what it was but it's astounding how in 24 episodes there was barely any plot when the original series is a masterpiece with just 12.
What? there weren't 24 episodes, only 13. Although there were talks of a season 2, but nothing solid has been announced so far. Still, yeah, Magia Record pretty much wasted most of its run. After the first few episodes only the final few are actually plot relevant, while the others are just focused on conflicts of various girls.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What? there weren't 24 episodes, only 13. Although there were talks of a season 2, but nothing solid has been announced so far. Still, yeah, Magia Record pretty much wasted most of its run. After the first few episodes only the final few are actually plot relevant, while the others are just focused on conflicts of various girls.
Really? I misremembered. But yeah, it felt overly long.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The news that Magia Record NA was closing hit me. Hard. This game was my second favorite of the gacha I currently play (oddly enough, my number one is Fate/Grand Order, another of Aniplex's titles). I've been playing since launch, invested a decent amount of money through monthly login packs and whatever I needed for a few of the guaranteed gacha (I estimate maybe $200 CDN or so?), and had a ton of currency saved for future magical girls (and a Lil' Kyubey) that I had my eye on. I know the game wasn't breaking the sales charts or anything (a lot of players got burned out due to the increased pace for events), but we were so close to catching up to Japan and their content, and having the strain of back-to-back events lessened. Not only that, Arc 2 brought a whole new story along wit gameplay enhancements that we'll never see, such as Spirit Enhancement and Coordinator Coins (that serve as an additional "pity" of sorts, where you can exchange for a banner magical girl after doing 300 pulls on a particular banner).

What I'll miss most of all though isn't the gameplay (though it was serviceable), it's the characters/story/world. I can count the number of gacha games where I actually find the story interesting on a single hand with three fingers, and Magia Record was one of them. It just frustrates me that I've grown to love these characters and knowing that there's more to tell that I'll never get a chance to experience (unless I read the story translated on YouTube or whatever, but it just isn't the same). Given Aniplex's backing, I was expecting the game to AT LEAST go up until it caught up to Japan, especially since we were as close as we were. Once that happened and the slower pace kicked in and Season Two of the anime starting (as well as the new gameplay enhancements I listed above), I truly believe it'd have a better chance at catching on with the more mainstream public. Unfortunately Aniplex felt differently, and decided to pull the plug on the NA server. Meanwhile, games such as Valkyrie Connect and Grand Summoners/Last Cloudia just keep chugging along, the former two regularly getting collaborations. It boils the blood.

This is honestly the biggest disappointment I've had with a gacha game closing on me, the other being Chain Chronicle. I loved Chain Chronicle too, but MR was even more important to me and the fact that we didn't even have the slightest inkling that a server closure was imminent makes it even harder to accept. There were a few typo's with recent events and we missed out on a small login story that was supposed to be accompanied by Iroha + Yachiyo's event, but I just contributed that to strain issues. We also didn't have an event in-game for Iroha's Birthday (which every other server celebrated) that we did last year, but we did get a Tweet post so it wasn't nothing. The last thing I expected to log into was a server closure announcement and yet, there it was.

Damn, typing this all up has me depressed again. I think I'll do a couple Rank Up quests in Fate/Grand Order to get my mind off things.

metalmonstar

May 17, 2018
I just started playing the game right before the anniversary really enjoyed Season 1 of the anime but wasn't sure if I should bother with another gacha after falling out of Langrisser and GBF. I think after this I will just stick with DL.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you didn't know speaks volumes as to how much they advertised it.

It was only out in NA though and the app was region-locked, so if you didn't live there you wouldn't have been able to play it anyway.
I'm in NA and my wife is a huge Madoka fan and never saw ads for it. She is upset now lol

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in NA and my wife is a huge Madoka fan and never saw ads for it. She is upset now lol
Yeah, they really didn't showcase the game much which is a shame. If they had it might have done better.

It's probably better your wife didn't know though, now she doesn't have to put up with the heartbreak myself and the rest of the players have to. :(

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
If this game had also launched in Europe (and had I been there to play it) I probably would've spent a decent amount of money on it. I'd be very sad right now. I only played the JP version for a short while. Sometimes I feel like getting back into it and have to stop myself.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. The game did horribly on the grossing charts. If your game falls out of the top 1500 grossing games, I can't imagine it staying alive.

I get nervous when a game dips into the 500s.
To be fair, considering the game was NA-only I think it did more than adequate. It's just unfortunate that they didn't try to open it up to additional regions. :/

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was fast, I feel like I heard a fair amount of talk about this game and thus it wasn't in any real danger.

Condolences for anyone that was invested.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That was fast, I feel like I heard a fair amount of talk about this game and thus it wasn't in any real danger.

Condolences for anyone that was invested.
Yeah, the closure came out of nowhere. The events were leading up to the start of Arc 2 and then we got hit with the notice. It was a complete blindside.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I wish they would stop region locking their mobile games, don't even bother translating it, just let me play and give them money, worst part about this is that not only the JP version was locked, English version was aswell blocked for us in South America, so now I know I won't ever be able to play it, missed my chance on Symphogear XD and FGO went out of their way to block people from getting the apk and install it, they really hate us.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, considering the game was NA-only I think it did more than adequate. It's just unfortunate that they didn't try to open it up to additional regions. :/

My brother just talked with me about this game and according to him it was actually actively region locked. Most gacha released in specific regions can still be played if you download them outside of the stores, but in this case they actually IP locked the English version to NA. It's a pretty weird choice. They went out of their way to limit their audience.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My brother just talked with me about this game and according to him it was actually actively region locked. Most gacha released in specific regions can still be played if you download them outside of the stores, but in this case they actually IP locked the English version to NA. It's a pretty weird choice.
Yeah, if you didn't live in NA you couldn't play it. You could install it on your phone sure, via APK or creating an NA Apple Account, but that's about it. I'm not sure if you could install a VPN or whatever to get around it, but they certainly didn't make the game widely available to people. It's why I don't know understand how their expectations for it were higher than what we got. Considering it was just NA playing (and paying), I think it did reasonably well. If they wanted more, they should have put in the effort to release it elsewhere or at least remove the region-lock.

It really feels like they almost WANTED the game to feel, as crazy as it sounds.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is a solid Case Study on why a lot of people in the core gaming community have disdain for Mobile Games - Gachas with very expensive pulls that are prone to shut down after a single year of Pump and Dump.

I gave this a try for a few months because of the anime, but this really couldn't hook me long-term. Especially not after I got a OnePlus 8 and had a whole slough of higher-end mobile games available to me that couldn't run on previous phones I had. I took one look at what the Gacha Currency costed and shuddered. And now I see I really dodged a bullet.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Wow, that's really shitty to players that have been invested in it since launch. Have to wonder if Aniplex's other gotcha NA servers are on the chopping block. Aside from Fate/Grand Order of course.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Ouch, that sucks. Did they at least stop at a part of the story where it makes sense?
Would you blame the accelerated schedule?
I just launched the app that I downloaded near launch and it runs fine using my german Apple account? Unless it's just the title screen and game menu since I've never progressed any further.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's really shitty to players that have been invested in it since launch. Have to wonder if Aniplex's other gotcha NA servers are on the chopping block. Aside from Fate/Grand Order of course.
I believe the only other Aniplex gacha game with an NA server is Fate/Grand Order and, as you mentioned, I'm sure that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'll miss Magia Record a lot though, especially since I'm a massive fan of the IP. :(

Ouch, that sucks. Did they at least stop at a part of the story where it makes sense?
Would you blame the accelerated schedule?
I just launched the app that I downloaded near launch and it runs fine using my german Apple account? Unless it's just the title screen and game menu since I've never progressed any further.
They managed to finish the first Arc which wrapped things up pretty conclusively (they even had credits roll), but they started another event afterwards that leads into the second Arc that we'll never experience, so it's still kind of a sour ending for players. It could have been worse for sure, but still not ideal.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I believe the only other Aniplex gacha game with an NA server is Fate/Grand Order and, as you mentioned, I'm sure that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'll miss Magia Record a lot though, especially since I'm a massive fan of the IP. :(
For some reason I thought they had some other games but I forgot those were visual novels they are publishing on Steam.